change stock h.i.d headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change stock h.i.d headlights

does anybody know how to change a stock h.i.d headlight on an 05? i wanna put my own h.i.d's in. thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Otorosai
does anybody know how to change a stock h.i.d headlight on an 05? i wanna put my own h.i.d's in. thanks
Not in a bad way, but why would you want to change out the factory HID's? They're really good.... Unless if I'm missing something. What do aftermarket HID's do that the factory ones don't?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by renedcruz
Not in a bad way, but why would you want to change out the factory HID's? They're really good.... Unless if I'm missing something. What do aftermarket HID's do that the factory ones don't?
my factory one went out, an the dealership said just to replace that one light would be like $700. i can save money and do it myself, i just need to know if i need a special tool or something. i tried earlier but couldnt get to the bulb
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Before you buy anything .. check what the problem is.

You can get access to the bulb easily. Pop up your hood, find your headlight, there's a cap like plastic piece, bout 3inch diameter with a round tip screw with star shape in the tip.

those screw are $13 a piece at the dealer called security screw. They do require a special tool, it's a torque bit with a hole in the center. I say horse shit.. and took it out with plyers. clamp it and turn. till it comes off. then i replaced it with another screw with a hex shaped head. I just went to the local Lowes/home depot store and got a screw with the same thread pitch, diameter, and length with a hex shaped head.

once you remove the screw, turn the cap, and pull it out. you'll see a metal part with wires attached to it. turn that, it only turns one direction, once you did pull it out. you'll then see your bulb held in place by 2 spring like metal rods. just push on it and side way and bulb will come out.

Now i recomend to switch the bulb around. IE .. your driver bulb is fine while your passenger bulb is gone. switch it around so that the bad one will be on the driver side.

turn ur lights on after you plug the metal thing leaving the cap off for now. If your driver one is bad now and passenger one is good .. then obviously it's the bulb.

if your passenger is bad and driver is good .. then you have a potential igniter/ballast problem. which again do the swap trouble shoot method. the igniter (the metal piece that you turn) is a bit harder to swap out.

since you're not really able to swap the bulbs .. swaping the igniter or ballast should be done by dealer or a tech.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Racer

You just need to replace the bulb. You can find HID bulbs off the net that don't cost $700. The TSX uses the HID D2S bulb, buy them off the net or at a shop (stock color temp is 4700K) close to 5000k and have a shop do the work for cheap. Also make sure you replace both bulbs so they match.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replacing the bulb is super easy. We had a sponsor here selling replacement kits/bulbs. Check out the sponsor forum they might still be around.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Otorosai
my factory one went out, an the dealership said just to replace that one light would be like $700. i can save money and do it myself, i just need to know if i need a special tool or something. i tried earlier but couldnt get to the bulb
Ooo ok, now I get it lol.... But as the rest of the A-ziners said, you only need to replace the bulbs. I bought my bulbs (6000k) on ebay for $35 and I've had them for 2 years with no issue.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by renedcruz
Ooo ok, now I get it lol.... But as the rest of the A-ziners said, you only need to replace the bulbs. I bought my bulbs (6000k) on ebay for $35 and I've had them for 2 years with no issue.

Base on OP's statement .. a 700 bucks light replacement would mostlikely either include a whole new housinng or a ballast/igniter replacement.

To the OP:
before you buy anything, check to see which is the problem. Is the bulb out? Is the igniter? Is it the ballast? Those are the three main component. You can test it by swapping the driver and passenger side. Do it one by one to single out which is the problem.

Bulb easy to replace, igniter a little harder and doesnt require the headlight housing removal, and the ballast is the hardest as you have to remove the headlight from the car which requires front bumper removal.

Bulb - oem 120 a piece, aftermarket (5000K or 6000k color is perfect) 35 bucks for pair
Igniter - 200 a piece i think ( must buy ballast, they do not sell it seperately), used 100 or so
ballast - oem 400 a piece (it also includes igniter, they do not sell it seperately), used 100 or so, with igniter used 125-150

Last edited by xaznperswaesonx; 10-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.