car starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005 | 10:21 AM
Racer

car starting

Hello, okay im new to this site, my brother got me on it. But i thought that maybe you guys could help me with a problem i am having with my car. I drive a 04 TSX and lately when i go to start it up it is taking longer then it use to, it seems VERY slow to me to click over and start. I took it back to the dealership and they tested all the things that should be, battery etc.., and they said that everything checked out great. I was wondering if any of you have had this same problem or if you know of anything that i should do that can help. I am getting to the point where i am affriad it wont start. I cant afford that to happen. But any advice would be great. thanks
Old 07-11-2005 | 10:33 AM
Quattro in.....

I did see one thread about the starter having to be replaced but i think that was an isolated incident. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...arter+replaced

You may want to try trickle charging the battery for a day or overnight. I read somewhere that if you only do short trips or mostly city driving you may not be sufficiently charging the battery. The TSX has a lot of features that drains the battery; HIDS, heated seats and a 360 watt stereo. I haven't had any problems since I rarely use the radio when on short drives, basically my work commute which is about 7 miles round trip.

Also you should make sure your Acura key is not attached to any other metal keys, something about interfereing with the key's imboilizer transponder.
Old 07-11-2005 | 10:36 AM
Just dial 1911

I do a lot of short drives (5 miles one way to work), so I'm thinking about getting an Optima battery here pretty soon myself.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:13 AM
Racer

thank you for the info, and the thread. i hope that is not what is going to happen to my car.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by joerockt
I do a lot of short drives (5 miles one way to work), so I'm thinking about getting an Optima battery here pretty soon myself.
Those things are awesome. When i put one into my 4runner the thing started up with a really crisp start 100% of the time. Not only that, but the thing lasted for a long time. There's no fluid inside the thing, plus everything is rolled up. So no acid to leak out, and vibration doesn't do anything to the battery. The folks on the 4runner forums worship the thing. You will only need a redtop unless you are running a 1500 watt system or a winch. In that case i'd recommend a yellow top. lol

At the time i got mine for $99 at Costco.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:20 AM
Drifting

By the way. how long is long when it starts? A second? 2 Seconds? What's the mileage on your 04? I'd check the air filter and the spark plug gap also while yuo're at it. Although i think you'll be ok unless it takes a REALLY long time to start.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:41 AM
HOWARD911S

i've been getting starting lag for the last 5k to 10k, most of the time its fine, but sometimes it just lags. u get that tuning and turning and exhausted sound then the car starts...more than 4-5 times already, it sucks...but its not producing the problem consistantly enough for me to bring back to dealership.... this is my 4th acura..most likely will be my last one.. so far with mine i have
1) left shock leakage, replaced
2) left driver side roof moding. loose replaced after 4 visit to dealer and complain to dealer service manager
3) this starting is starting to give that death sound and im only at 20k!

lexus will be my next ride
Old 07-11-2005 | 05:24 PM
TS-SEX

Originally Posted by Viking
Also you should make sure your Acura key is not attached to any other metal keys, something about interfereing with the key's imboilizer transponder.
Damn, I have my girlfriend's and my apartment and room keys on the same key ring as my Acura Key... 4 metal keys...
Old 07-11-2005 | 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Do the part about separating your keys (I just keep my remote/key separate from my house keys) first. The air filter may not really have that much to do with it. I do think that the spark plugs may not be at the proper gapping currently if we cancel out these next couple of theories in teh next paragraph. A bad batch of gas may also contribute, but is not as likely to continue for this prolonged a period of time. I guess I'd like to take a look at it to be more sure.

If the initial chatter from the starter (that usual cranking sound just before the engine ignites and starts) is just slower in it's rhythm, I'd guess that the battery isn't giving off the sufficient charge. If it is taking more of those chattering sounds than normal before it fires up, I'd place my bet on the immobilizer having difficulty (though this is after you separate the car keys and the other keys on your ring). I have seen a couple of rare instances where the immobilizer fails to receive signal and warranted replacement. This is my more probable bet at this point.

Give me a call if you'd like to chat regarding this matter or if I can do more...I PM-ed you my #.
Old 07-11-2005 | 10:27 PM
Faster, please.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've noticed the same thing. I'm not losing sleep over it though. If my car just doesn't start I'll worry.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
Do the part about separating your keys (I just keep my remote/key separate from my house keys) first. The air filter may not really have that much to do with it. I do think that the spark plugs may not be at the proper gapping currently if we cancel out these next couple of theories in teh next paragraph. A bad batch of gas may also contribute, but is not as likely to continue for this prolonged a period of time. I guess I'd like to take a look at it to be more sure.

If the initial chatter from the starter (that usual cranking sound just before the engine ignites and starts) is just slower in it's rhythm, I'd guess that the battery isn't giving off the sufficient charge. If it is taking more of those chattering sounds than normal before it fires up, I'd place my bet on the immobilizer having difficulty (though this is after you separate the car keys and the other keys on your ring). I have seen a couple of rare instances where the immobilizer fails to receive signal and warranted replacement. This is my more probable bet at this point.

Give me a call if you'd like to chat regarding this matter or if I can do more...I PM-ed you my #.
As always... Good advice. I agree.

P.S. You can never have too good of a battery.
Old 07-11-2005 | 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Still Water
As always... Good advice. I agree.

P.S. You can never have too good of a battery.
Thanks.

The OEM battery does suck to a certain extent, but the replacement ones that Acura offers are made by Interstate (rather than the Panasonic ones that are initiially offered in the TSX).
Old 07-12-2005 | 12:49 AM

I've had a very similar problem with this the other day....actually a few times...where it would crank and then sound a lil like its struggling and then finally start up.

Then just yesterday it started to do that again except it just kept crakning and cranking and cranking and cranking without starting at all. So, I let off, then tried again, and it started up with that same struggling sound. But now its back to normal. I think its those darn panasonic batteries.

I'm leaning more and more to an optima each time this happens, but when it for sure leaves me stranded, I'm makin' the leap to one.
Old 07-12-2005 | 10:53 AM
Racer

so i am trying the hole key thing(only have the car key and remote on it), i am hoping that will work. Though this morning it took like 4sec or more to start up i was scared cause i was already running late for work i did not need car trouble but lucky it started. Thank you guys for all your help. Though it is nice to know that i am not the only one that has had this problem.