A/C Failure Costing $4000

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreed. We all paid good money for our cars, and should be able to use each feature....especially something as basic as air conditioning.

Honestly, I keep mine on auto almost 100% of the time for my own comfort. It it weren't supposed to be used like that, the feature would not be available. And if the A/C decides to give in, then the car goes bye-bye. I'm not about to give up my own comfort so I can drive around longer in a car without A/C (it sounds like a miserable experience).

Additionally, many people have said that a rock/road debris actually hit some part in the A/C system, which was the cause of their problems....that has nothing to do with how you use the auto or manual buttons.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the both of you in that we really should be able to use the AC without worry. Why Acura hasn't at least addressed the issue is disappointing to me. I'm just trying to deal with the facts as we know them today.

Quite frankly, I just paid off my 2004, and plan on driving it around for a long time. I don't want to fork out $4,000 (although really that does sound like it's on the high side of the estimates), just to continue to drive my car. If it means I can't use my AC all the time, or use it only when it's really hot, so be it. Life isn't perfect.I'm just trying to work under the circumstances we've been given.

I think this might have already been discussed in the thread, but I think the best hybrid method might be having the AC unit replaced, regardless if it really needs it or not, before it explodes. Then you might only be out $1,000 - $1,200 (not sure if that's accurate or not).
Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

It is indeed extremely disappointing that they have not taken this issue more seriously. It is a very costly repair, especially if no goodwill is available to help you out.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
It is indeed extremely disappointing that they have not taken this issue more seriously. It is a very costly repair, especially if no goodwill is available to help you out.
Do you have an opinion on my "hybrid" method?

Sure, there's a 100% chance you'll be out $1,200 (just guessing), but it beats a 80% chance of $2,500 - $4,000.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by philliesfan980
Do you have an opinion on my "hybrid" method?

Sure, there's a 100% chance you'll be out $1,200 (just guessing), but it beats a 80% chance of $2,500 - $4,000.
Unfortunately, there really hasn't been any evidence either way that this is a time or mileage related problem, so it is difficult to recommend preventative replacement, IMO. The issue has been going on for a few years now, when 04s were much newer, and yet my 04, with 63k miles and now 6 years old, has not yet had this problem. Since we don't know exactly what causes the failure, I am reluctant to spend money replacing still-working parts. I wish we had more info on the exact cause so we could try to do something about it.

What I do know, is that with a new house (our first), and the recent upper control arm replacement, I'm not willing to buy any new A/C parts for my car, preventative or repair. My money is flying out the door faster than I can make it at this point.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Racer

How about 2007?????????
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Really isolated to 2004s.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately, there really hasn't been any evidence either way that this is a time or mileage related problem, so it is difficult to recommend preventative replacement, IMO. The issue has been going on for a few years now, when 04s were much newer, and yet my 04, with 63k miles and now 6 years old, has not yet had this problem. Since we don't know exactly what causes the failure, I am reluctant to spend money replacing still-working parts. I wish we had more info on the exact cause so we could try to do something about it.

What I do know, is that with a new house (our first), and the recent upper control arm replacement, I'm not willing to buy any new A/C parts for my car, preventative or repair. My money is flying out the door faster than I can make it at this point.
I hear you on money flying out the door!

I wonder if taking it to the dealer to run diagnostic tests would be a good idea. I can't imagine it costing much more than $100 - 150 for a comprehensive test. If they give their blessing that everything is okay, and then it breaks, I wonder if you could use that towards a possible goodwill repair?

As for my AC, the only noticeable issue is sometimes I hear some rattling when the car is idling at a full stop. Is this a symptom of the "grenade" issue?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the advice. If I get a chance to go to Princeton, I'd surely drop by.

But going there just to fix the A/C is too much of a hassle. It's about 2 hr drive, and if I decide not to fix it, I would've wasted too much time.

I made an appointment to a local A/C repair shop, where they will give me an estimate BEFORE charging me for anything. I've been going to this dealer/service shop for the last 4 years, and can't believe they're hitting on the back of my head like this.

And most of the issue seems to occur in '04 TSX, but mine is '05. And I have not hit any bad bumps or got into any accidents. Just occurred naturally, so if you are starting to hear "hissing" when A/C is on, then you better watch out for what's to come. (When I have A/C off, the sound goes away)

Can't believe Honda/Acura hasn't taken any steps in fixing this issue, when so many are having the same problem.

Maybe this? :P
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Or is it taking a step too far?

I don't blame you. I'd probably get rid of mine at this point, too, if the A/C went. It's just too costly of a repair for the age of the car, IMO. Plus, there is no guarantee it won't happen again later on.

If it's not too far for you, maybe try Precision Acura in Princeton. I've had 5 years of good experiences at that dealership.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kyungjpark
Thanks for the advice. If I get a chance to go to Princeton, I'd surely drop by.

But going there just to fix the A/C is too much of a hassle. It's about 2 hr drive, and if I decide not to fix it, I would've wasted too much time.

I made an appointment to a local A/C repair shop, where they will give me an estimate BEFORE charging me for anything. I've been going to this dealer/service shop for the last 4 years, and can't believe they're hitting on the back of my head like this.

And most of the issue seems to occur in '04 TSX, but mine is '05. And I have not hit any bad bumps or got into any accidents. Just occurred naturally, so if you are starting to hear "hissing" when A/C is on, then you better watch out for what's to come. (When I have A/C off, the sound goes away)

Can't believe Honda/Acura hasn't taken any steps in fixing this issue, when so many are having the same problem.
What about rattling when idling (occasionally, not all the time)? That's my only noticeable AC issue.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree it is a major annoyance and a huge repair bill, but it's not a safety issue, so NHTSA probably wouldn't do anything about it.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by philliesfan980
I hear you on money flying out the door!

I wonder if taking it to the dealer to run diagnostic tests would be a good idea. I can't imagine it costing much more than $100 - 150 for a comprehensive test. If they give their blessing that everything is okay, and then it breaks, I wonder if you could use that towards a possible goodwill repair?

As for my AC, the only noticeable issue is sometimes I hear some rattling when the car is idling at a full stop. Is this a symptom of the "grenade" issue?
I actually had the dealership check mine last spring when it was in for a service. They did this at no additional charge. Said everything was working fine.

I wonder how long it's got, though. The paranoia is strong these days....
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I actually had the dealership check mine last spring when it was in for a service. They did this at no additional charge. Said everything was working fine.

I wonder how long it's got, though. The paranoia is strong these days....
LuvMyTsx:

Just enjoy the car. Like the song says, "don't worry, be happy" I know, I know, easier said than done sometimes.

I have a 2005 Tsx but with very similar mileage to yours. I just turned 60,000 miles. I continue to be very happy with it.

What is your 2004 build number? Was it one of early 2004s or late 2004s? I believe Acura built around 35000 to 40000 TSXs for the United States for that model year if I am not mistaken. Maybe they caught the problem sometime before the production of 2004 Tsxs ended.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 04-06-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
LuvMyTsx:

Just enjoy the car. Like the song says, "don't worry, be happy" I know, I know, easier said than done sometimes.

I have a 2005 Tsx but with very similar mileage to yours. I just turned 60,000 miles. I continue to be very happy with it.

What is your 2004 build number? Was it one of early 2004s or late 2004s? I believe Acura built around 35000 to 40000 TSXs for the United States for that model year if I am not mistaken. Maybe they caught the problem sometime before the production of 2004 Tsxs ended.
Yeah, I know. I'm really not all that worried about it. If it happens, it happens, nothing I can do about it. I just get a little more conscious about it when the weather warms up....like a ticking time bomb or something.

Mine is 23,XXX, so it's somewhere in the middle, I guess.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to hear a hissing sound come out of my AC vents for a cpuple of months ago and I was thinking that the AC unit might just crap out soon. I am almost out of my extended warranty in about 8,000 miles or so. So, if it happens I hope it happens soon. This is the only bad part of owning a first year model car. BTW, I have about 68,xxx miles on my car.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

04 tsx ac issues

I have an 04 tsx with 94k miles on it. At 45k miles the a/c exploded and was replaced by acura under warranty. I am now having issues again and just took it into the dealer to find out the issue. I hope and pray its not another expensive issue because i would have lost faith in acura at that point. Has any one else had to have their ac replaced twice?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, unfortunately, there have been some people who had to go through this more than once. I remember reading their stories in another thread or possibly on earlier pages of this one. It sucks - hope you do not have to go through it again.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flyersfan08
I have an 04 tsx with 94k miles on it. At 45k miles the a/c exploded and was replaced by acura under warranty. I am now having issues again and just took it into the dealer to find out the issue. I hope and pray its not another expensive issue because i would have lost faith in acura at that point. Has any one else had to have their ac replaced twice?
If it happened again, I would think that Acura would realize this is their fault and would replace it free of charge.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

I realize I'm commenting on a very old post, but I think the a/c on my '04 tsx w/ 67k just exploded. Does anything think I will receive any kind of good will from acura to help with repairs?? or should I just try and find a more reasonable shop than a dealership?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 PM
5th Gear

mine just crapped out at about 62k miles...04 tsx. anybody heard anything from acura on them taking responsibility for it? they obviously have a problem.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM
10th Gear

my AC just died at 82k miles.

Brought it to a dealer when it wouldn't blow cold air anymore (after months of the 'swallow' bird sound when the car was at idle), and they drained & refilled the system with dyed refrigerant (in case of a leak). In about 2 or 3 days, it wouldn't blow cold air again, so I brought it to my favorite shop to have it taken care of. They say the compressor is getting power but isn't turning on.

I guess it's better than an EXPLOSION, right? Ha... welcome to summer.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Racer

My A/C is blowing hot air finally.

After hearing a whine noise for a while but having no service person find what the problem was...my A/C went out today. While driving, there was a loud bang sound followed by the car stalling. I was able to start it and drive it but from that point on the A/C has been blowing hot air. Nothing leaked and I didn't note any other problems, but the A/C system is certainly not right.

On top of that my passenger window switch broke today...so that window is out of commission!

Great day today.

2005 TSX 99,300 miles
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM
5th Gear

Called Acura customer service the other day. The girl told me "we don't have any other documented cases of the problem you're having." BS. Everybody post your invoice or repair estimate in the invoices forum: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/c-repair-invoices-post-them-up-679124/#post9854676. Also...go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/ and report the problem with the compressors there.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

I have an '04 w/ 117k and this year i've been having problems with the AC. The passenger side blows cold air but the driver's side is warm even if i have the setting on 'Lo'. Does this sould like the problem described here, the relay, or something else?

The low-pressure valve was still in the lower part of the normal reading so i topped off with R-134a with no difference.

Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by davieo23
I have an '04 w/ 117k and this year i've been having problems with the AC. The passenger side blows cold air but the driver's side is warm even if i have the setting on 'Lo'. Does this sould like the problem described here, the relay, or something else?

The low-pressure valve was still in the lower part of the normal reading so i topped off with R-134a with no difference.

Any ideas?
This sounds like a right-left cabin temperature issue - bad controller, stuck blend door, other ???
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Instructor

I still can't believe how nobody has a clue as to why the A/C fails after 6 years this car has been on the market =\. I remember finding a DIY on how to fix the A/C if you bought you're own parts and it looked like the compressor's shaft snaps in half. Maybe the shaft was machined improperly? Maybe the material is inferior? Maybe its not aligned correctly leading to higher stress?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cman219
I still can't believe how nobody has a clue as to why the A/C fails after 6 years this car has been on the market =\. I remember finding a DIY on how to fix the A/C if you bought you're own parts and it looked like the compressor's shaft snaps in half. Maybe the shaft was machined improperly? Maybe the material is inferior? Maybe its not aligned correctly leading to higher stress?

it's a very specific problem...obviously indicating a defect. it's not due to normal wear & tear.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Yea thats what i mean. And it seems that no one has been able to find an aftermarket compressor that fits our car. There has to be a solution to this...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Instructor

I should stop reading this thread... now everytime i hear any noise at all from my car i freak out and go "OH NO THE A/C"
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cman219
Yea thats what i mean. And it seems that no one has been able to find an aftermarket compressor that fits our car. There has to be a solution to this...

Global Parts Distributors (GPD) makes an aftermarket compressor for 04 TSXs. They have a new one and a reman one. You can't find this brand at the discount places (Autozone, Advance, Oreilley). You have to go to a local independent parts store.

Keep hounding Acura - not your dealership - but corporate. Call Leon Jones and leave a message. Also call and complain to customer service. When I called, they claimed they hadn't had any documented cases of my problem. See what they say when you call.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimstsx
After hearing a whine noise for a while but having no service person find what the problem was...my A/C went out today. While driving, there was a loud bang sound followed by the car stalling. I was able to start it and drive it but from that point on the A/C has been blowing hot air. Nothing leaked and I didn't note any other problems, but the A/C system is certainly not right.

On top of that my passenger window switch broke today...so that window is out of commission!

Great day today.

2005 TSX 99,300 miles
I am looking at buying a 2005. Thought the issue was isolated to 2004's but I guess it is all a matter of time before the 2005's and maybe 2006's have this problem. Also seems like this is a problem for CRV's, Pilot's, and Oddysseys.

Talk about a freaking deal breaker. If I am going to spend 2000 bucks on the A/C down the road, makes more sense to just spend 2000 more on a TL that won't have this problem. Really disheartening considering I really wanted the car.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

Replaced compressor, condensor, expansion valve

Big rant coming --

I came across this thread searching for information on 2004 Acura TSX a/c problems. I know the original post is very old, but still very applicable. My car has about 75,000 miles on it. To me, not enough miles to warrant the amount of problems I've had. About 2 months ago I replaced the condenser. Supposedly there was a leak in it from hitting a rock or bird (they said they found a bird near or in it -- I didn't verify). Side note: I did read, somewhere, there is a class action lawsuit on Hondas/Acuras because the condensers are susceptible to holes.

Anyway, a place Honda recommended fixed it and it cost $600 for an after-market condenser and labor. (I had been going to a Honda service dept because I got soooo fed up with the service dept at my local Acura dealership and their lack of attention to detail.) A few weeks ago my car made some grinding kind of noises and then it started blowing hot air. I went back to the place that put in the condenser and he believed the compressor was blown. He quoted $900 for labor and an aftermarket compressor. Decided to take it to Acura and went on a rant about all the problems I've had with this car (both front power window motors went bad, driver/passenger door actuators went bad, had to replace the 6-disc CD changer system, radiator/overheating problems, etc. etc.) So anyway, they sort of cut me a deal by offering to replace the compressor with partial "goodwill" from the parts manufacturer in exchange for some other work I needed done (that mostly involved labor).

Yesterday they called me to tell me my car was ready, luckily the service guy I had been dealing with (along with the manager) said "well let me have them doublecheck your car and make sure everything is working properly just to make sure". Well he was smart to do that because that was one of the things I complained about, them telling me my car was ready then I go to pick it up and find out they didn't even test that the original problem was fixed or didn't test it sufficiently.

Lo and behold today I called Acura because I hadn't heard anything and guess what? The car is blowing out hot air. They were going to have me pick up the car and I would have still had the original problem that I took the car in for over a week ago. So now, who knows if the compressor was really the problem in the first place or if there's some other issue or other parts that need replacing relating to the a/c. They had also replaced an expansion valve (?) due to it being "contaminated". They'll call me back tomorrow with and update.

I really feel like Acura service just changes out parts and does not do thorough diagnostics. It's so frustrating for someone like me that does not know how to work on cars and you would think you could trust the dealer, of all places, to be very knowledgeable about your car and how to properly diagnose it. Especially for as much as they charge for parts and labor!

I love how the TSX handles and the exterior/interior looks of it, but I will never buy another Acura because of the reliability & expense of maintenance. I'm just holding on to it for now because it will be paid off soon. Hopefully the newer models are better designed, but I've just been burnt too many times. Besides the reliability, I've had extremely bad dealings with the local Acura dealership and there's only one in my area.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

My steering fluid has been leaking for the past few months and it has gotten all over my engine. I was just told about the recall and need to get it fixed, but at the same time I've been going without the A/C or fan as I do not have the money to fix it at this moment. Hopefully when I bring in my car this week to get the steering fluid issue fixed I can get some help with the A/C and fan unit. Car: 2004 TSX with 65k miles.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by beverlyc
Big rant coming --

I came across this thread searching for information on 2004 Acura TSX a/c problems. I know the original post is very old, but still very applicable. My car has about 75,000 miles on it. To me, not enough miles to warrant the amount of problems I've had. About 2 months ago I replaced the condenser. Supposedly there was a leak in it from hitting a rock or bird (they said they found a bird near or in it -- I didn't verify). Side note: I did read, somewhere, there is a class action lawsuit on Hondas/Acuras because the condensers are susceptible to holes.

Anyway, a place Honda recommended fixed it and it cost $600 for an after-market condenser and labor. (I had been going to a Honda service dept because I got soooo fed up with the service dept at my local Acura dealership and their lack of attention to detail.) A few weeks ago my car made some grinding kind of noises and then it started blowing hot air. I went back to the place that put in the condenser and he believed the compressor was blown. He quoted $900 for labor and an aftermarket compressor. Decided to take it to Acura and went on a rant about all the problems I've had with this car (both front power window motors went bad, driver/passenger door actuators went bad, had to replace the 6-disc CD changer system, radiator/overheating problems, etc. etc.) So anyway, they sort of cut me a deal by offering to replace the compressor with partial "goodwill" from the parts manufacturer in exchange for some other work I needed done (that mostly involved labor).

Yesterday they called me to tell me my car was ready, luckily the service guy I had been dealing with (along with the manager) said "well let me have them doublecheck your car and make sure everything is working properly just to make sure". Well he was smart to do that because that was one of the things I complained about, them telling me my car was ready then I go to pick it up and find out they didn't even test that the original problem was fixed or didn't test it sufficiently.

Lo and behold today I called Acura because I hadn't heard anything and guess what? The car is blowing out hot air. They were going to have me pick up the car and I would have still had the original problem that I took the car in for over a week ago. So now, who knows if the compressor was really the problem in the first place or if there's some other issue or other parts that need replacing relating to the a/c. They had also replaced an expansion valve (?) due to it being "contaminated". They'll call me back tomorrow with and update.

I really feel like Acura service just changes out parts and does not do thorough diagnostics. It's so frustrating for someone like me that does not know how to work on cars and you would think you could trust the dealer, of all places, to be very knowledgeable about your car and how to properly diagnose it. Especially for as much as they charge for parts and labor!

I love how the TSX handles and the exterior/interior looks of it, but I will never buy another Acura because of the reliability & expense of maintenance. I'm just holding on to it for now because it will be paid off soon. Hopefully the newer models are better designed, but I've just been burnt too many times. Besides the reliability, I've had extremely bad dealings with the local Acura dealership and there's only one in my area.
Yes, that really stinks. You cannot always trust your dealership to do everything the right way, but unfortunately, it is that way with every manufacturer. None of them are perfect. It's frustrating, but it pays to shop around and try different ones until you find one you like. I am going through this right now because I just moved. I have not yet found a dealer here that I like, and I really miss my old one. There are not many choices in this area, so I'm having a tough time. This is also why I love this forum. You can try to diagnose problems by using AZ, then telling your dealer what the problem might be, to try to point them in the right direction. I did this recently after a negative first time experience at a new dealer (I eventually brought the car back to my old dealer and explained the situation).

Anyway....this A/C issue can be quite complicated and expensive, as you already know. Unfortunately, when the compressors blow, you basically need to replace the entire system due to contamination. So, what likely happened to you, was that only one part was replaced, which temporarily fixed it, but then it eventually blew again because it was not fixed properly (i.e. the entire system replaced). Just another reason to read up on the problem here so you can tell your shop how to fix it properly.

Welcome to the support group.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM
10th Gear

Another One Bites the Dust - '06 TSX w/54K

Driving through Napa Valley last weekend in 100 degree heat the AC just quit blowing cold air. No rattle, thump, or loud noise - just warm air.

Just got off the phone with my Acura service advisor who told me the AC compressor "seized" and they need to replace the condenser, clutch & coil, receiver dryer plus check the system for "compressor material". Bottom line - $2000.00 for the repair.

I asked him how this could happen on a relatively new car - he immediately launched into the "let me contact the factory to see what they can do" line and will call me tomorrow.

Glad I found this forum - it gives me a little more ammo when trying to get them to cover some of the repairs.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sonnychad
Driving through Napa Valley last weekend in 100 degree heat the AC just quit blowing cold air. No rattle, thump, or loud noise - just warm air.

Just got off the phone with my Acura service advisor who told me the AC compressor "seized" and they need to replace the condenser, clutch & coil, receiver dryer plus check the system for "compressor material". Bottom line - $2000.00 for the repair.

I asked him how this could happen on a relatively new car - he immediately launched into the "let me contact the factory to see what they can do" line and will call me tomorrow.

Glad I found this forum - it gives me a little more ammo when trying to get them to cover some of the repairs.
Wow. I think you're the first or second 06 with the AC problem.

My condolences.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow. Now I don't feel so silly having bought an extended warranty. In this hot state (current temp 98°, feels like 110.0°, no kidding) I use the a/c for 99% of my driving.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
personally I would not mess with the system (or check it for that matter) until you notice a problem.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Has anybody heard again from the board member known as SERVICEADVISOR who started this thread?

I noticed that it has been two years since his last post on this thread.

It would be great if he could give us an update on the AC situation.

SERVICEADVISOR, are you out there?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
ilq
1st Gear

Help! My A/C just died!

Service Advisor - I live in the SFV and I have a 2004 Red Acura TSX with 67,000 miles. My A/C died a few weeks ago - any chance I can get some goodwill help to get my great car fixed? I love my TSX and after seeing all of these blogs, looks like I'm not the only one who's having this problem. Any chance you can help me out? Thanks!

Quick Reply: A/C Failure Costing $4000