A/C Failure Costing $4000

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an '05 TSX with 49xxx miles and was contemplating getting the extended acuracare warranty b/c of all the recent posts i've read about the A/C, but if corporate knows about the problem and may issue a recall, should i hold off on buying the acuracare warranty?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Acura Owner Advocate

there is still no definite answer on wether or not they are going to issue a recall or warranty
extension on the compressor and components it damages. Like in any car things fail at times and it can cost you alot depending on what it is, I would say if you plan on keeping the car I would buy it, plus it comes with roadside and rental car coverage. Try and avoid aftermarket warranty companies they may cost less but they cover alot less and are not always accepted every where and in the instance of a transmission or engine replacement they usually only authorize a junk yard /used engine or transmission.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyG
i have an '05 TSX with 49xxx miles and was contemplating getting the extended acuracare warranty b/c of all the recent posts i've read about the A/C, but if corporate knows about the problem and may issue a recall, should i hold off on buying the acuracare warranty?
I believe you can only buy it before your car reaches 50,000 miles, so you don't have much time to wait. If you are planning on keeping the car, I'd get it. I didn't get it for my '04 and am now regretting it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Faster, please.

These cars seem to be having a lot of problems. I would definitely look into getting the extended warranty. For me, this is the first and last Acura that I will ever own. I owned a Chrysler LeBaron that I previously thought was the worst piece of junk ever, but at least that started breaking after 130,000 miles. Depending on what ends up happening with the a/c I'm looking at spending about $3,000 in a month on a 4 year old "premium" brand car.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor

i have a couple weeks to decide, given my mileage and the tsx being my daily driver. i was able to find acuracare thru curry acura online for $1150 ($100 deductible) or $1250 (0 deductible), which extends the warranty for another 4yrs/48K miles. it also includes roadside assistance, so i'd be saving by not getting AAA. do you guys think that is a decent price, or can I do better?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
I have an 04 and last summer came home from about a 30min trip and pulled into the garage, put the car in park and heard a loud bang all of a sudden. got out of the car and pulled a small metal disc and small metal rod from the car. the pump had seized and the clutch sheared right off the pump. luckily it didnt damage the rest of the system and I was just barely still under warranty.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Racer

I hope we get a recall on this or an extended warranty. I have a 04 with 66k miles and my AC just F'ed up today. So Ill be without AC in this 100+ degree until I can get this fix.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Wow, that's bad news. I'm taking my '06 TSX into the dealership on Wednesday for some a/c problems I've been having. I'm assuming this will be covered under the standard warranty, no? I'm around 35k miles.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Racer

You should be cover still.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have any of you with A/C failures/issues had your A/C make this 'wooop!' sound at times? Mine does that and I'm wondering if it is something I should be concerned with.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Racer

I just got a call from my service advisor saying that my compressor blew up, which I knew already. And they have to change that and a few other parts as well. He told me about $800 in labor and about $1700 in parts. So I asked him if he can get me some goodwill assistance and he was going to call me back on that. So Im just waiting for his call and hopefully Ill just have to pay for labor. But I hope that they take the tab for the whole thing. Im just crossing my fingers. If I have to pay for more then that, then I just might have to give Leon Jones a call and ask him to see what he can do.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Ouch, good luck.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Racer

Well, I just got a call back and it wasnt good at all. The goodwill assistance wasnt good for shyt. All he can do was give me $518.09 off so I have to pay $2082.26 out of pocket. The only good thing about the goodwill assistance is that you have to take your car in there for any type of service or any maintenance repair on your car. If they dont have anything at all, you will only be getting a little bit off the parts. As for the people that do there own service on there car, GOODLUCK if you have any AC problems. The only thing left for me to do is call Leon Jones and see what else he can do. But I think I know the answer to that already. But it doesnt hurt to give it a try.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

mine just went....
Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Rut-roh, another one.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sawalke4
mine just went....

what year? how many miles?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Racer

I was just thinking to myself about this. If the acura compressor is bad, why cant we just buy an aftermarket compressor? Any thoughts on that?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Racer

Just a little update on my problem. I left Leon Jones a message yesterday about my AC problem and he hasnt call me back yet. But I called my Advisor and told him that I cant come up with the $2082 to get the AC fix so I will have to pick up my car today. He then ask me how much can I get today, so I told him about $700-$1000. Now he is going to ask his boss and see if I can pay that much to get the AC fix. I wouldnt mind paying that since that is for the labor plus a little for the parts. Now Im just enjoying the 2008 TSX which they loan me yesterday. But I miss the little stuff thats on my car.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dmikon
Have any of you with A/C failures/issues had your A/C make this 'wooop!' sound at times? Mine does that and I'm wondering if it is something I should be concerned with.
What year is your car? On my 04, I dont think I have ever heard a woop sound from the AC. But with this 08 loaner that I got, I heard it for the first time. And it kinda scared me at first cuz I wasnt expecting the woop sound at all. It only came on when I was in park. Havent heard it while I was driving yet. Maybe I had the music on too loud? But I think that might be normal.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX559
What year is your car? On my 04, I dont think I have ever heard a woop sound from the AC. But with this 08 loaner that I got, I heard it for the first time. And it kinda scared me at first cuz I wasnt expecting the woop sound at all. It only came on when I was in park. Havent heard it while I was driving yet. Maybe I had the music on too loud? But I think that might be normal.
I had an 08 loaner last week and heard no whoop sound.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I was just thinking to myself about this. If the acura compressor is bad, why cant we just buy an aftermarket compressor? Any thoughts on that?
If you read back in this thread (or was it the other thread?), it's been established that when "the a/c compressor grenades itself" it contaminates the entire system, requiring replacement of most components. Truly, a nightmare.

All with new problems ... I hope you're scanning and posting your invoices in post your invoices thread. Please read the Mod guidelines before posting. If you don't know how to host and post an image, the Mod can help.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I had an 08 loaner last week and heard no whoop sound.
Thats weird. I heard it last night and I heard it this afternoon. It is actually pretty funny when you think about it. It just whoops when the fan kicks in. I was just sitting in the car with the AC on in park and it whooped. I might have to test it again after work. Its a funny sound.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by davidspalding
If you read back in this thread (or was it the other thread?), it's been established that when "the a/c compressor grenades itself" it contaminates the entire system, requiring replacement of most components. Truly, a nightmare.

All with new problems ... I hope you're scanning and posting your invoices in post your invoices thread. Please read the Mod guidelines before posting. If you don't know how to host and post an image, the Mod can help.

I understand that. I was thinking about replacing the other parts with the OEM and just get an aftermarket compressor instead of the OEM compressor.

I will post the invoice when I get it fix. Its just a waiting game now. I dont mind having this loaner car for a while until they call me back. Right now, my car is just sitting at the dealer and Im just waiting for my Advisor to call me back and let me know if they will fix for $1000 or less.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Racer

Mine is an '06. It is actually at the dealership at the moment and this is one of the issues they are supposed to check out. My service adviser mentioned that he has seen some TSXs with this whoop sound, and he explained that it is typically moisture in the A/C lines trying to escape through some valve. He said they normally re-vacuum/re-fill the system to get rid of it.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

Mine is an '06. It is actually at the dealership at the moment and this is one of the issues they are supposed to check out. My service adviser mentioned that he has seen some TSXs with this whoop sound, and he explained that it is typically moisture in the A/C lines trying to escape through some valve. He said they normally re-vacuum/re-fill the system to get rid of it.

We'll see how it goes.
This is good to know, I have a 07' TSX with just over 17,000 on it and it has also started making this Wooping noise on occasion when the fan kicks in. It seems the warmer and more humid the day is, the more frequently it occurs. I wasn't going to take it into the dealer because I figured the problem was so intermittent, they probably would have a difficult time diagnosing it. Good to hear that it is a recognized problem so I will schedule an appointment next week. For those that have never heard it, mine sounds very much like a clown’s slide whistle.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lamboman
This is good to know, I have a 07' TSX with just over 17,000 on it and it has also started making this Wooping noise on occasion when the fan kicks in. It seems the warmer and more humid the day is, the more frequently it occurs. I wasn't going to take it into the dealer because I figured the problem was so intermittent, they probably would have a difficult time diagnosing it. Good to hear that it is a recognized problem so I will schedule an appointment next week. For those that have never heard it, mine sounds very much like a clown’s slide whistle.
Got my car back from the dealership. They replaced all the freon, and vacuumed the system properly. Hopefully the whoop is gone for good.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Whats the speed limit ?

I occasionally get a wooping sound from my A/C, is this a cause for concern?
Yeah mine just started doing that a lot lately
Old 08-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Whats the speed limit ?

Thats weird. I heard it last night and I heard it this afternoon. It is actually pretty funny when you think about it. It just whoops when the fan kicks in. I was just sitting in the car with the AC on in park and it whooped. I might have to test it again after work. Its a funny sound.
I Normaly sit in my car for about 30 minutes Mon-Fri to kill my lunchtime at work
and I notice my car makes that whooping sound with the A/C on about
every 3-5 minutes and it's starting to get realy annoying & pissing me off
but it seems to only make that noise when the car is parked..

I tried turning off the recycle button off and the A/C will stop making that noise
as soon as you turn it back on..give it a few and sure enough you'll here the whoop noice again.... ...& just lately every now and then when I'm
driving I hear the freaking whooping noice!!!! ...

any Idea what the hell is going on?
I have 80k on my 05 TSX with the extended warranty I think I will make
the trip to Acura this weekend to get it checked out and see what those
bastards have to tell me now..I'll keep you guys posted..but if any of you
guys know what the hell that noise if I would love to know.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Not sure if it's related at all, but my AC recently started to stop blowing out air at a certain speed. It would be on fan speed three and while it's on, it would for about a minute stop blowing at that speed, and then a minute later, it would resume at speed three again. It does this with every fan speed, and it's done it only recently.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by goodtime420
I Normaly sit in my car for about 30 minutes Mon-Fri to kill my lunchtime at work
and I notice my car makes that whooping sound with the A/C on about
every 3-5 minutes and it's starting to get realy annoying & pissing me off
but it seems to only make that noise when the car is parked..

I tried turning off the recycle button off and the A/C will stop making that noise
as soon as you turn it back on..give it a few and sure enough you'll here the whoop noice again.... ...& just lately every now and then when I'm
driving I hear the freaking whooping noice!!!! ...

any Idea what the hell is going on?
I have 80k on my 05 TSX with the extended warranty I think I will make
the trip to Acura this weekend to get it checked out and see what those
bastards have to tell me now..I'll keep you guys posted..but if any of you
guys know what the hell that noise if I would love to know.
Read my earlier posts in this thread. If my service adviser was correct, it is moisture in the A/C lines.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes it is!

This is interesting. My A/C system just took a **** last week.

I have an '04 TSX with approx. 56K miles. Thankfully it is certified pre-owned, so my warranty is until 60K and all of this was covered no problem.

I never noticed any sounds from my A/C. One weekend while doing some errands it was not blowing cold and just could not cool the car. I was a little worried, but it is 105 degrees out these days so I didn't know if the A/C was failing or it was just so damn hot out. Typically I keep my A/C on at 75 degrees and set to Auto nearly full time. I have a 15 minute commute to/from work, and most days I make 15 errand runs during lunch.

So Monday after that weekend I was sitting a red light and I heard the engine studder. Just as I was flipping out looking at the dash, the car studdered again and stalled out. There was no indication on the dash, everything looked okay. After putting the car in park and turning the key it started again. I turned the A/C off and it ran fine until I got to work. I had Acura TLC tow the car from work to the dealer.

I picked up the car the next day. Here is what was listed on my invoice:

1 38810-RBB-A01 COMPRESSOR
1 38900-RBB-006 CLUTCH SET
1 38924-RBA-006 COIL SET, SOLENOID
2 134A FREON

No prices on these since it was under warranty. I'm feeling fortunate I didn't get stuck with the bill though.

Had to dodge a big bullet with the glass transmission on my '00 TL, now this huh?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear

Angry

Whats up guys,

im a newly admitted member to the "no a/c club"
here are a few pics of the gruesome discovery i made today. ive got a 04 TSX and if im not mistaken, this is the after math of the notorious "gernading effect"
please correct me if i am wrong.

close up

panned out for reference
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

I think i got the moisture issue "wooping effect" what i notice is that when i have my ac/on the fan won't shut down. my coolant level are good everything looks fine, is my compressor dying on me? i got 39k still under warranty should i make an appointment tomorrow "monday"?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear

wierd whooping noise when ac is on

I have an 08 tsx and i recently been hearing that noise, sounds like a low pitch whistle or somthin like that.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mattad25
Whats up guys,

im a newly admitted member to the "no a/c club"
here are a few pics of the gruesome discovery i made today. ive got a 04 TSX and if im not mistaken, this is the after math of the notorious "gernading effect"
please correct me if i am wrong.

close up

panned out for reference

My compressor looks almost identical to yours. Did you take it to Acura yet?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
3rd Gear

My compressor looks almost identical to yours. Did you take it to Acura yet?
not yet, i called corporate yesterday, and they informed me of a recall that i can take my car in for, and i'll pitch the tech a few bucks to check out the comressor. so i'll probably do that this saturday. I'll repost once i get more info.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mattad25
not yet, i called corporate yesterday, and they informed me of a recall that i can take my car in for, and i'll pitch the tech a few bucks to check out the comressor. so i'll probably do that this saturday. I'll repost once i get more info.

Recall? What do you mean by recall? Are you talking about the recall for the compressor? I called corporate last week and they dont know anything about a recall on the compressor yet. Im still waiting for them to call me back on a deal with the dealership. Thats great news if the compressor is going to be on recall. Please clarify the recall.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Easy lad, he said he's going in for a recall, and he'd have the compressor checked out. Sounds like the recalls' for something diff'rent.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Easy lad, he said he's going in for a recall, and he'd have the compressor checked out. Sounds like the recalls' for something diff'rent.
my bad! let me clarify. there is a recall for the headlights, apparently they collect condensation and need to either be replaced, or need a new seal. While they are checking that out, i'll have them check out the compressor. once i take it there, ill post what i find out.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Racer

Ok. Understood now. Yeah when I took my car in last week for the compressor they told me about the recall that I knew about when it first came out. I just dont have the time to take my car in. They are just going to put a clip on the headlights. Thats what they did to mine.

Quick Reply: A/C Failure Costing $4000