Bumper Removal (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Removal (Again)

I don't know what happened to my old thread on this, so I guess I have to start a new one.

I finally got around to working on some mods, and I'm trying to get the bumper off. I already got all of the screws/clips out.

My problem is that I don't know where or how to exert the force needed to pop it off the hooks. I've been trying for like an hour. Which direction do I push? If I push up, the headlights are in the way.

I need some microscopic details and secrets from experienced people.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the headlights out and see if there are clips under them.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
AFAIK, there are some screws and bolts in the wheel wells, under the bumper, and possibly one or two at the top near the grille. Once those are out, you pull forwards with equal force on both L and R sides, as this disengages the 4-5 clips on either side under the turn signal portion of the headlamps.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just removed my bumper yesterday again. Tools to use are two flat head screw drivers to pop the clips off easily, 1 phillips head for the screws in the wheel well and a 10mm socket wrench for the bolts under the car.

- There are 3 clips in the under carriage along with two black/dark bolts at the end of each side. Connecting the black under guard to the bumper.
- One screw in each wheel well. Turn the tires (with car on) as much as you can to one side as if making a turn to get at the screws easily, no need to remove the wheels.
- The obvious bolts along the front, I think about 6 or so silver in color. Two black bolts on the ends by the wheels.
- On the grille you only have to remove the 4 or 5 clips on the front of the radiator cover only. The grille comes off with the bumper so no need to worry about that. You don't have to remove the entire radiator cover if you don't want to.
- There are like two rivets from the car that sit with the grille to hold it up (one on each side) so you have to lift a little bit on the grille to get over those and then you're set.

Once all removed then make sure you have something soft in front of the car/under the bumper incase it falls. Pull forward (towards you) and it should all come out without a prob. Be sure to sit the bumper on something like a towel or anything soft to avoid scratching. Best if you do it with two people so you don't risk dropping the bumper on the ground when taking it off but you can do it alone too. Pretty sure I listed all the things necessary to remove to get off that bumper. It's a lot easier than it sounds, took me 5 mins.