Brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights not working

I have an '04 TSX and all of my brake lights have stopped working. The lights will light up when I lock my car using the remote so the bulbs seem to be fine. I've checked the fuses and they're all good. I tried replacing the brake light switch and it didn't help at all. Is there something else that I can adjust when it comes to brake light switch? I'm not real knowledgable when it comes to the electrical components. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'd prefer not to take it to the dealership and spend a couple hundred dollars but I'm running out of ideas. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So you did replace the small switch that is mechanically activated by the brake pedal? I had that switch die on me and it gave me no brake lights, in addition to a VSA and /!\ light both coming on in the gauge cluster.
EDIT: The switch I am speaking of is #6 in this diagram: http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
It mounts such that the little "plunger" on the switch is moved when the brake pedal is pressed down even slightly. The other side of the switch assembly has an electrical connector which might/might-not run to a relay that activates the 3 brake lights as well as stops the cruise control.

A good test: On a quiet street in DAYLIGHT, set the cruise. Then see if pressing the brake pedal kicks the cruise control off. If the cruise stays on and keeps trying to maintain speed, then the switch is likely faulty.

I guess it would be possible that the wire for the brake lights is damaged somehow -- I believe the taillight bulbs are dual-filament, so maybe the one circuit for the parking lights and lock/unlock flash, is fine, but the circuit for the second filament which is activated (brighter) by the brake pedal is not. Your high-mouth (3rd) brake light is also out? If so, then it's gotta be something to do with the switch, relay (if there is one), or wiring that sends the current to the three lights.

This is a safety issue though, so if you can't fix it at home ASAP, then I'd bring it in. You don't want anyone smashing into the back end of your car, as they could probably have your insurance foot the bill if they deem that your car wasn't displaying brake lights properly.

Last edited by curls; 11-03-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM
3rd Gear

Yea, I did replace the switch. It clicked into place so I assume I installed it correctly. Is there something else I need to adjust on it? None of my dash lights are currently lit up and I haven't tested my cruise control but I'll test that this afternoon. The high-mouth light is also out. Maybe I'll try adjusting the brake light switch some more this afternoon and if nothing comes out of that, I'll have to take it in tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear

And yea it was definitely #6 that I replaced.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine just gets inserted in the hole or cutaway, then the screw-lock thing clicks in (maybe 1/8 turn I think and it was secured?).
Don't forget about the electrical connector.

You can test the switch with a multimeter to see if there's a really weird coincidence that the new switch is also defective.

If that's fine, start working back from there and/or look at any other components that can fail easier than a wire. IE: relay.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Did your '04 have this recall performed?

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B04-026.pdf
Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

has there been any update on this topic? im having the same issue on my '10 TSX. I've changed the switch, bulbs and checked all the fuses i can find. my cruise control works perfect as dose the abs. I cant think of anything else?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You should check for 12V (multimeter or test light) at the brake light switch. There should always be 12V on red/blu and 12V on Lt/grn only when brake pedal depressed. Attached is wiring diagram.

Several possibilities; open in red/blu wire, defective brake light switch, open in lt/grn wire.

good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AcuraTSX09-10_BrakeLights.pdf (453.5 KB, 504 views)