brake light cover loose after tinting

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007 | 03:38 PM
where is my garage?!

brake light cover loose after tinting

a buddy of mine brought his sister's tsx to get the windows tinted. she had the whole back winshield tinted and the guy somehow loosened the brake light cover to put the film in. problem is, the thing is now loose and rattles/jumps whenever touched or if the trunk door is slammed.

anyone know how the cover is supposed to snap back into place? or is there a quick and dirty fix for this? we suspect that when he pulled the cover he probably forced it and snapped something inside, but there's no way to tell. any help would be appreciated. won't be getting my windows tinted there.
Old 01-01-2007 | 05:47 PM
I spend 2 much time here

that thing is a pain in the ass, i wouldn't be surprised if the tint shop broke it when popping it out.
Old 01-02-2007 | 04:01 PM
Pro

I removed mine, and there was no way it was coming loose without something breaking first. So very close, but not quite. Seems to me like that, at the factory, that cover gets installed prior to the glass.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:23 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Mine too... after having my car tinted just a month ago, I was at the shop watching them trying to put that cover back on... it took them longer to try to put that cover back on than to tint all 5 of my windows! Anyway, they didn't break the cover, but it's not nicely snapped in as before. There's some spacing on the inside looking out. Whenver I brake at night, I can see a red line at the bottom where there is a slight gap.

Can't blame the shop though... the owner did everything professionally. He was trying his hardest to snap it back to where it was before, but after trying for awhile I finally told him not to worry about it as I was afraid he'd break something (though he was being v. careful).
Old 01-05-2007 | 05:28 PM
Instructor

Oh man! I have a dead bug between the brake light and back window. I tried using a vaccumm and also one of those office cleaner that spits out pressurized air, but that little sucker won't budge. I was thinking of removing that black piece, but after reading this, I'm a bit scared that I might break something and won't be able to put it back. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2007 | 01:44 PM
Pro

mine has been loose from day 1. It has become progressively more loose and now rattles over every bump. Do you think Acura would fix this for cheap?
Old 01-08-2007 | 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
I removed mine, and there was no way it was coming loose without something breaking first. So very close, but not quite. Seems to me like that, at the factory, that cover gets installed prior to the glass.

How do you remove the brake light? I have the rear spoiler and do not need it. Are there any holes once it is removed?
Old 01-08-2007 | 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tsxowner1
Oh man! I have a dead bug between the brake light and back window. I tried using a vaccumm and also one of those office cleaner that spits out pressurized air, but that little sucker won't budge. I was thinking of removing that black piece, but after reading this, I'm a bit scared that I might break something and won't be able to put it back. Any suggestions?
I also had a bug in the back part of the brake light. I reversed my vacuum and blew the critter out the side. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2007 | 02:01 PM
where is my garage?!

if you open your trunk, there's actually a hole/socket where the light bulb for your break light is in. you can turn the piece and remove the socket, thus changing or removing (completely) the light bulb since your spoiler has the break light as well.

but i wouldn't recommend removing the whole breaklight piece based on my friend's experience and some other posts in this thread. i don't think the actual shell of the break light is intended to be removed or taken off by the driver.
Old 01-09-2007 | 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
if you open your trunk, there's actually a hole/socket where the light bulb for your break light is in. you can turn the piece and remove the socket, thus changing or removing (completely) the light bulb since your spoiler has the break light as well.

but i wouldn't recommend removing the whole breaklight piece based on my friend's experience and some other posts in this thread. i don't think the actual shell of the break light is intended to be removed or taken off by the driver.
Hmm. ok thanks. The 3rd brake light does not work on my tsx,since the plug for it is connected to the spoiler light.
Old 01-13-2007 | 08:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Hmm. ok thanks. The 3rd brake light does not work on my tsx,since the plug for it is connected to the spoiler light.
Unless your dealership hooked yours up differently, all Acura does is remove the bulb from the third brake light on the parcel shelf, and then wire the LEDs in the wing to the wiring somewhere.

Yes, removing the brake light does reveal some large and unfinished holes.

here are photos of my removal...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...476#post656476
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:11 AM
Pro

[QUOTE=xjohnkdoex]if you open your trunk, there's actually a hole/socket where the light bulb for your break light is in. you can turn the piece and remove the socket, thus changing or removing (completely) the light bulb since your spoiler has the break light as well.

QUOTE]

For those of you trying to get to the dead bugs...this is your best bet. From the trunk, access the brakelight from underneath by removing the bulb, and then tweeze or vacuum that sucker outta there.