Belly pan or am I crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belly pan or am I crazy

2005 5AT

For the past week I have heard a slighty banging under the transmission. I finally got around to looking under the car. A curved piece of plastic holding wires coming from the CC (exhaust at least), was hanging down. I snapped it back into place.

When I bought the car I thought I looked under neath it and that it had a belly pan. I may just be really confused and liked that feature on the Audis also at the dealer. Did this car come stock with belly lining and shielding under the engine? If so does anyone have pictures?

I have taken the car to the place where I bought it a few times and they put it up on the lift, apparently when they were fixing my rear window motor some idiot unplugged my passenger door lock actuator, who I was informed no longer works there. Could said idiot have also removed the shielding under the car?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't think of anything that holds wires near the catalytic converter. It sounds like you're talking about the plastic shield that is mounted under our engine. It has a removable flap to get to the oil drain plug.

Personally, I removed mine because it was annoying to deal with.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fujiteam
For the past week I have heard a slighty banging under the transmission. I finally got around to looking under the car. A curved piece of plastic holding wires coming from the CC (exhaust at least), was hanging down. I snapped it back into place.
Maybe it's for the O2 sensor.

When I bought the car I thought I looked under neath it and that it had a belly pan. I may just be really confused and liked that feature on the Audis also at the dealer. Did this car come stock with belly lining and shielding under the engine? If so does anyone have pictures?
It sounds like you're describing the underbody splash shield. I think it's #5 here:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

It serves to protect your engine from scrapes, water, debris. It also helps with your wind drag co-efficient. The TSX has a pretty low drag co-efficient...it's even lower than that of the Acura NSX.

I don't think any of us have pictures of the shield since there's nothing interesting there. If you do your own oil changes, you have to stick your hand in an opening of the shield to get to the drain bolt. You can always lie down on the ground, reach underneath, and feel for the bolt (after you make sure your car won't roll on you). The drain bolt on the passenger side, and is probably in line with the rear-most edge of the rotor.

I have taken the car to the place where I bought it a few times and they put it up on the lift, apparently when they were fixing my rear window motor some idiot unplugged my passenger door lock actuator, who I was informed no longer works there. Could said idiot have also removed the shielding under the car?
Anyone who has access to your car can do anything to it. If the person had to do work under the engine (maybe a transmission fluid change), he would have had to remove it and then reinstall it later.

There have been cases where the shield has been ripped off, though (especially since a lot of us have lowered cars). I sometimes drive over debris that I'm surprised didn't damage my car, but I bet my shield took a beating for it. (I have noticed that my shield is starting to droop a little.) Thus, it could be missing due to "natural" causes.

The person who worked on your window motor probably needed to disconnect the actuator momentarily, and forgot to re-attach it.

Originally Posted by GWEEDOspeedo
It has a removable flap to get to the oil drain plug.

Personally, I removed mine because it was annoying to deal with.
My dealer removed mine (I took it to them for the very first oil change). I didn't know until it was time for me to do another oil change. I think the flap hardly makes a difference since it's on the trailing edge of the shield. With it gone, I guess I save a couple of minutes on oil changes.

If I ever replace the shield, I'll probably keep the flap on it though (since a new shield will come with one). I don't know if my drooping shield is also drooping due to an effect by the slight drag caused by the missing flap.

Last edited by SoCaliTrojan; 03-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
El Cunado

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
My dealer removed mine (I took it to them for the very first oil change). I didn't know until it was time for me to do another oil change. I think the flap hardly makes a difference since it's on the trailing edge of the shield. With it gone, I guess I save a couple of minutes on oil changes.

If I ever replace the shield, I'll probably keep the flap on it though (since a new shield will come with one). I don't know if my drooping shield is also drooping due to an effect by the slight drag caused by the missing flap.
I meant that I removed the entire shield. Every other car I've driven hasn't had one so I don't feel it's giving me any real security.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Advanced

It's probably Part# 36538-RAA-A12 (COVER ASSEMBLY, SENSOR HARNESS).
Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GWEEDOspeedo
I meant that I removed the entire shield. Every other car I've driven hasn't had one so I don't feel it's giving me any real security.
Ah, gotcha. It wasn't really meant for security. As seen at https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/drag-coefficient-677420/ , Acura designed the TSX to be as aerodynamic as possible. I think splash protection is just a bonus.

I think not having the shield would make working on the engine a lot easier. I know it does have to be removed for certain procedures. The shield is the reason I use to not go underneath the car...lol
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I agree that the pan is a pain in the neck, but there's so much crap on the roads here in the Northeast (hello.... we have winter here) that there's no way I'd leave it off. I can't imagine how dirty and salty the engine and underhood area would be (it's bad enough even with it).
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
El Cunado

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Ah, gotcha. It wasn't really meant for security. As seen at https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677420 , Acura designed the TSX to be as aerodynamic as possible. I think splash protection is just a bonus.

I think not having the shield would make working on the engine a lot easier. I know it does have to be removed for certain procedures. The shield is the reason I use to not go underneath the car...lol
That's a good point. I'll notice any significant drop in fuel efficiency though I have added a CAI in the mean time that would counter a drop. Worst case scenario is I would probably break even.

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I agree that the pan is a pain in the neck, but there's so much crap on the roads here in the Northeast (hello.... we have winter here) that there's no way I'd leave it off. I can't imagine how dirty and salty the engine and underhood area would be (it's bad enough even with it).
Yeah, we get our share of snow/ice in Maryland which means plenty of salt on the road. I haven't cleaned my car's exterior in months and the guard is pretty clean.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Buddy
It's probably Part# 36538-RAA-A12 (COVER ASSEMBLY, SENSOR HARNESS).

That is the part that was hanging down. I just clipped it back onto one post. Is there another attachement point or jsut the one?

As far as the cover below the engine, where is the cheapest source for it, or the part number?

Last edited by fujiteam; 03-07-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
El Cunado

That is the part that was hanging down. I just clipped it back onto one post. Is there another attachement point or jsut the one?

As far as the cover below the engine, where is the cheapest source for it, or the part number?
Call some auto scrap yards for TSX's. It's probably a part that wouldn't get damaged.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced

I am trying to track down the engine cover right now, memorial day seems a good day to install. Does anyone know if I can get one form any TSX 2004 - 2008?