Battery dead after just 11K miles??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery dead after just 11K miles??

Hey guys!
So today I was laying down watching TV when i thought to myself "hey i'll go wash my car, its a perfect day!" So i go out back, open my garage, get in, back out in to the driveway, and get to washing. So im going about my washing routine then get back in my car to pull my baby back in to the garage. And SUDDENLY!...nothing happened, nothing at all. So i try again, same thing! So i called TLC and they are sending someone tmrw to tow it to the dealer, they were going to today, but nobody is there right now, and the other option was a jump start, but i dont have somewhere to be right now and i want whatever the problem is fixed moreso than what a jump would do. So what do ya'll think the problem is, did i get a defective battery or soemthing?? or is it really dead after only 11K miles?? And the worst part is, my freshly washed baby is just sitting there, lonely...lonely and afraid.

So what do yall think???
Old 02-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you leave the ignition or radio on while you were washing the car? Battery will discharge pretty quickly with a steady draw and the engine off.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Did you leave the ignition or radio on while you were washing the car? Battery will discharge pretty quickly with a steady draw and the engine off.
for about a max of 2 minutes and thats being very generous! it was prob less than that
Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Pro

The OEM battery supplied is not known to be the greatest. Not unheard of to have one fail prematurely.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

man that blows! i really dont ever leave it on auxilary like ever either!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please stop saying that leaving the car on for 30 minutes in ACC listening to the radio will kill the battery. It will not. I have done it numerous times on my crappy Panasonic battery and had no issues. If you leave the navi screen blasting that may have some effect but don't make it sound like all TSXs will fail if you dare leave the car in ACC for 30 mins.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Where do people get these information or how do the make these assumptions?(Battery dying because of radio or ignition being on!)

You can have the ignition switch ON, headlights ON, with your AC blowing air at MAX fan speed while your radio is blasting techno for 2-3 hours before your battery starts to feel shaky.

The TSX battery's only short-coming is its cold-crank amps which are not enough for super cold Canadian winters where the temperature goes way below freezing. Other than that, the batter is fine.

If your battery fails because you left your radio on or whatever, then you have a bad battery which has to be replaced.

if this happens again on a new battery, you've got yourself a series of possibilities including a miserable alternator, a grounding problem, or a bad ignition coil.

And don't believe everything you read online, including those posts that say "hitting VTec too often will damage your engine"!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

i just figured i got a messed up battery, took it to the dealer today, well it was towed there and i could not be there because of school, but i got a new battery and everything is fine now. Lets just hope i dont run into anymore problems anytime soon, or ever for that matter! i had to drive our tahoe which has a small lift on it, but a noticable one, some big tires and nice rims, i felt like a giant in that thing!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by synthetic
Where do people get these information or how do the make these assumptions?(Battery dying because of radio or ignition being on!)

You can have the ignition switch ON, headlights ON, with your AC blowing air at MAX fan speed while your radio is blasting techno for 2-3 hours before your battery starts to feel shaky.

The TSX battery's only short-coming is its cold-crank amps which are not enough for super cold Canadian winters where the temperature goes way below freezing. Other than that, the batter is fine.

If your battery fails because you left your radio on or whatever, then you have a bad battery which has to be replaced.

if this happens again on a new battery, you've got yourself a series of possibilities including a miserable alternator, a grounding problem, or a bad ignition coil.

And don't believe everything you read online, including those posts that say "hitting VTec too often will damage your engine"!!!
Really??? I dare you to leave your ignition in the "On" position for 2-3 hours with a fully charged, 2 yr old OEM battery and see if your car will start when you're done. If the climate control is on, not only are you running the blower motor at whatever speed it is set to, you're also running BOTH radiator fan motors. Add a couple of bulbs burning if you leave a door open, plus the loads from the electronics (which are comparitively low) and the amperage draw is substantial. I dare you...try it....but don't believe me, I've only worked on Honda's for 15years.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
TSX User

Don't forget to turn on the butt-warmers.

It's an Acura, live with it.