Any 2004s with MULTIPLE A/C failures?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any 2004s with MULTIPLE A/C failures?

So, like many unfortunate 2004'ers my entire HVAC system died at 70,000 miles. In the months before it died, I noticed a high pitched noise that almost sounded like a ball bearing turning. It was a subtle noise, definitely came on with the A/C. After a month or two of that noise (which I did not think much of at the time), I heard the dreaded loud clink, and the A/C was dead as a doornail.

I was fortunate to be able to convince Acura to replace the HVAC as a good will deal (thanks largely to my wonderful service adviser and the Acura factory rep). Afterward, the A/C was quiet as could be. Hardly noticed it was on - as had been the case for most of the time I owned the car.

Then, about a week ago, the high pitched whine came back. I took it to the dealer yesterday, and they claimed it was just a clogged filter. Filter was replaced, and that had zero impact on the situation.

So, now it is going in for a full HVAC diagnostic, and the dealer is going to give me a loaner car for a few days.

I don't want to start another thread talking about HVAC problems - but rather wanted to raise the issue that we may be looking at a recurring problem - kinda like the TL tranny issues. Several posters on the 2G TL forum reported that they replaced the tranny, only to have it fail again a year or two later. I fear that is what may happen with the TSX HVAC systems.

Thoughts?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I fear the same thing. I'm nearing 100K miles. I keep in mind to run the A/C as often as I can to help lubricate the parts. If it happens to me again, I may have to jump ship and go with another manufacturer.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by PACman
I fear the same thing. I'm nearing 100K miles. I keep in mind to run the A/C as often as I can to help lubricate the parts. If it happens to me again, I may have to jump ship and go with another manufacturer.

I actually already jumped ship. I ordered a 3-series sportwagon and it should be here in a week or two. I just need to get the damn car running so I can sell it. It may seem a bit silly, but I really don't feel like selling some poor smuck a car that has an HVAC that is about to die AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
e91? 335i? Nice choice. I was thinking of going that route too, but the whole fuel pump thing got me concerned.
Back on topic - I haven't read of anybody having a 2nd A/C failure after replacement. I guess having the system replaced outside the dealer would be the less expensive choice.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Not an Ashtray

e91? 335i? Nice choice. I was thinking of going that route too, but the whole fuel pump thing got me concerned.

I ordered a E91. So, the fuel pump issue (which is not a problem for the non-Turbo engine) should not be an issue.

Back on topic - I haven't read of anybody having a 2nd A/C failure after replacement. I guess having the system replaced outside the dealer would be the less expensive choice.
It should still be under warranty, since it was replaced less than a year ago. So, cost shouldn't be an issue (in theory). Either way, I'm not sinking more money into it. I'll sell it at Carmax first, and take my lumps on the resale.