after replacing the windshield.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 02:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy after replacing the windshield.....

hi everyone:

The windshield of my TSX was just replaced this Monday, 10:30 AM...
and I drove about 30 min to go shopping right after having the new windshield.
I heard lot of "rubbing" noise when over the bump on the highway and local....
Of course, I had called them who told me that is because the adhesive hasn't dryed totally...and It got to be 24 to 72 hrs...

And I just realize that this piece of glass is not OEM......
Maybe even nor the upper moulding....(which also appeared on my receipt, should it needs to be replaced also ??)
Now I just wait until tomorrow morning (48Hr for curing the adhesive) and see is the rubbing noise still there...
Hope what they've told me dose matter.....

Just want to ask that the adhesive really need 24-72 hr to get dry??
Thanks a lot and feel sorry for reading my strangth English.....

PS:If someone really need to replace the windshield, go for the OEM.....no matter what they say......
Old 03-17-2004, 02:23 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why did you replace the windshield?
Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Yes it does take a while for the adhesive to cure (probably should not be driving it either) but considering all the other short cuts they took it wouldn't suprise me if it kept making noises.
Got to stop follwing all those rock ladden dump trucks!!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Pro

not OEM windsheild? how do you feel the quality of the glass, any differences on clearity? i had replaced windshield on my previous Honda with non-OEM and it was a big big mistake, view a specific angle and i fond many many impurity in the glass......
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: after replacing the windshield.....

Originally posted by ilovecatbus
hi everyone:

The windshield of my TSX was just replaced this Monday, 10:30 AM...
and I drove about 30 min to go shopping right after having the new windshield.
I heard lot of "rubbing" noise when over the bump on the highway and local....
Of course, I had called them who told me that is because the adhesive hasn't dryed totally...and It got to be 24 to 72 hrs...

And I just realize that this piece of glass is not OEM......
Maybe even nor the upper moulding....(which also appeared on my receipt, should it needs to be replaced also ??)
Now I just wait until tomorrow morning (48Hr for curing the adhesive) and see is the rubbing noise still there...
Hope what they've told me dose matter.....

Just want to ask that the adhesive really need 24-72 hr to get dry??
Thanks a lot and feel sorry for reading my strangth English.....

PS:If someone really need to replace the windshield, go for the OEM.....no matter what they say......
dude, if you drove that car before the allocated 24-72 hour cure time you are driving an unsafe vechcle. make no mistake i just got back from a lengthy seminar on windshield replacement (im an insurance agent) please please read this carefully.

depending on the temperature and the humididty when your W/S was installed will dictate how long you have to wait before you can drive the car. if the shop allows you to drive the car before then they have commited a crime. they are required by law to make sure that the car remain stationary until the urathane dries compleatly. if they don't yes the glass is still loose. you have weakened the seal by driving the car before that because the curing process that the urathane goes through requires that the mating surfaces dont slide or move while curing.

the urathane they use to seal the glass is supposed to cure to a bonding strength of above 300 lbs per square inch of bonding strength. for future reference dont do business with any glass shop that doesnt have certification's showing their technicians have passed the state mandated tests to insure proper installation of an automotive W/S. they should have a curing chart that shows the type of adhesive used and what time it was installed. and based on temp and humididity shows how long it takes to cure.

why is all this so incredibly important? because if a W/S is not installed properly with these strict guidlines and you are involved in an accident several things can happen.

1 the W/S can be loose and fly right out of the car when you hit somthing. when this happens the air bags (particularly the passenger airbag uses the W/S to direct the airbag towards the occupant in the passenger seat.
if the glass is not installed correctly and the urathane set up correctly the airbag can also blow the W/S right out of the car. this also has a secondary effect because when you blow the W/S out of the car it creates a vacume behind it and can actually suck an un belted passenger out of the car through the W/S opening.

2 the W/S also provides structural rigidity of the cabin, belive it or not glass is very strong. it actually is strong enough and with its strength of its urathan bond to the car will prevent the roof from caving on on the occupants during a rollover. there have been hundreds of people suffering from being paralized due to a broken neck or back from a rollover accident and having an improperly installed W/S

now getting back to your situation. you are driving an unsafe vehicle at this very moment. you are not going to want to hear this but for your own safety and the safety of your passengers in your car you need to take your car back to where you had it installed. you need to ask them to reinstall the W/S make sure they remove all the urathane and re primer the mating surfaces. make sure you leave the car there for the full amount of time it takes to reach the correct bonding strength as listed on the curing time chart based on the urathane used and the temperature and humidity at the time of installation.

your windshield is more than a peice of glass it is a safety device. they may make you pay for removal and reinstallation or maybe if you show this post by printing it out the fear of being sued for allowing you to drive the car before the cure time and the thought of potentially getting sued and fined might make them do it for free.
make no mistake this is serious shit we are talking here your life could be in great danger if you have an accident in that car. as it is now since you drove it before it's cure time it is officially unsafe to drive and will be labled as such for the life of the car or untill that W/S is replaced and correctly installed.

for the rest of you reading this let this be a lesson, if you get a W/S replaced make sure you take note of this message. im going to post a link to it in another thread. it's very important, thousands of people have died from this very reason because they either get ejected from a rollover accident or fly through the W/S opening and impact other objects.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Banned

I got my WS replaced about two months ago... dealer kept the car immobile on the lot for 48 hours.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

The w/s is part of the body structure and contributes to the stifness of your car. When designing the unibody, engineers take into account the load shared and transfer by w/s and the adhesive. If the curing of the adhesive is inadequate you are looking at an eventaul failure of some of the body components as their load will increase to compensate the lack of efforts taken by the windshield.

Good call Bass Mechanic
Old 03-17-2004, 11:32 PM
10th Gear

hi:
Thanks for you guys' opinions....
I thinK I will redo the W/S replacement for sure...
And of course, will cure the adhesive at least 48Hr....
Since my major is civil engineering, I know how's the concrete gona be if we didn't cure it properly.....
Also, the stresses distribute in the material is also an important issue......
So shame that I didn't apply what I've learned in this W/S replacement lesson...
anyway, thanks for everyone and especially to Bass Mechanic
ilovecatbus
Old 03-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

im glad to see you are getting it fixed. and i appreciate the props, i try to help others when i can.

let us know how it turns out and also let me know what the glass shop has to say when you bring this to their attention. im also curious to see if they have certicifations for their techs.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Banned

is the dealer billing Acura for OEM and putting in a 3rd party windshield?
Old 03-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
This topic couldn't be more timely. I had a 1/8" chip in the windshield, took it to be filled and installer cracked the w/s :'(. Now instead of 1/8" chip I have 1.5" crack . I am replacing the w/s next week with OEM one, and thanks for advise I will let it cure.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know this either. Thanks for the info.