4th time my battery has died this winter!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th time my battery has died this winter!

Hey, I have a problem with my car battery. It has died 4 times this winter over a 2-3 month period. First time I left the dome light on. 2nd time I told my cousin to start my car and I guess hes never started a car before and just put the key in and was just sitting in the car listeing to my subs...haha
3rd time dome light was on.

4th time I didnt have dome lights on, I looked at the door indicator and none of the doors were open. IT JUST DIED OVERNIGHT

Does -20 weater have anything to do with it?

Does my 1.2 farad capacitor have anything to do with it?

I know my subs are hooked up to where when the cars off it doesnt turn on been like that for the last 6 months so we can say that doesnt matter.

and... I am only running 390 rms 760 peak watts pioneer amp for my 10inch type r
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Search, but nearly everyone will tell you, the stock battery is crap. Kill it once and it never really comes back. Get an Optima and be done with it.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't even really bother with an Optima. Just get a good battery (anything but OEM!). Dekka makes a bunch of really good batteries, and their distribution system is great- they don't let batteries sit on the sheld too long before bringing them back to the plant to be recharged.

But yes, 3 times running your battery dead like that, probably no trickle-charging afterwards (right!?!?), and cold weather... and that battery and most others, will have kicked the can.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Advanced

agreed, although i'm going to try a 75 series install on the car, I've had my battery die like clockwork every 2 years or so on my car.

I put it on the poor design of the 51r. low CA, low CCA, and low reserve. I've seen some better, but the stock only puts out about 495 CA, 410CCA and a reserve of like 20min @ some low amperage.

I'm looking into a 75 series that puts out about 800CA, 600CCA, and a 60min reserve ....

now i just have to figure out how to cram it into the car...

Oh, and as for optima... well, let's just say after 13 months, my $160 battery read 10.4 volts due to one cell shorting out, and Optima says... you are past your warranty. ptthhpt!

I'm going for a Exide 75DT if i can manage to cram it into the engine bay.

a 51R should be about 9 3/8 5 1/16 8 13/16
a 75 should be about 9 1/16 7 1/16 7 11/16
so i'm close there...

A panasonic 51r puts out 495/410 (rough guess although i think it's really less)
the Optima 51R puts out 575/450 and has a 66min reserve
of course, it's a yellow top giving you a 12/12 warranty.
the exide 75DT gives you 850/690 and a 80 min reserve with a 24 mo free replacement, 60 mo prorate, and free jumpstart... it just seems like they stand behind their gear better ... just my opinion...
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just replaced my battery New Years week with the OE replacement Panasonic battery. It has more CCAs than the original battery and I haven't had a problem with it yet, plus it only cost me $92. It's been cold here this week (teens and twenties) and it's starting right up. I replaced it just in time and I think I would have gotten stuck this week if I hadn't done it. My battery was having trouble turning the car over even in the 30s. It lasted longer than I thought though, considering how many people on here have had trouble with it. Almost 5 years of service isn't bad.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
After leaving the dome light on for 3 days I was happy when my 06 tsx started immediately. I do alot of driving which does help keep the battery charged. Have almost 69,000 miles.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I just replaced my battery New Years week with the OE replacement Panasonic battery. It has more CCAs than the original battery and I haven't had a problem with it yet, plus it only cost me $92. It's been cold here this week (teens and twenties) and it's starting right up. I replaced it just in time and I think I would have gotten stuck this week if I hadn't done it. My battery was having trouble turning the car over even in the 30s. It lasted longer than I thought though, considering how many people on here have had trouble with it. Almost 5 years of service isn't bad.
The battery that was installed at the factory is a Panasonic. The Acura branded replacement batteries sold at the dealers are made by Interstate (at least in the US.....might be different elsewhere).
Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I replaced my battery last winter with a Sears Diehard Gold and still have issues starting in cold weather. Last week it was around zero and it turned over SEVERAL times before finally starting. This weekend we're expecting lows of -36 overnight, and I'll be surprised if my car starts.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Acura battery isn't the greatest but leaving the dome lights on shouldn't kill off a battery. The weather would be a huge factor at your battery draining esp if it has bad CCA so your car will have a prob starting and so would your genius buddy using your subs without starting the car lol. The capacitor wouldn't be a draining issue either since I ran a huge system in my older car and never had an issue once I upgraded my battery and made sure my alternator could take the pull of my system. You may want to check you alt if you get a stronger battery and it kills off your new battery too. Took me like 4 batteries before I replaced my alt and then never had the prob again.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sortudo7
The Acura battery isn't the greatest but leaving the dome lights on shouldn't kill off a battery. The weather would be a huge factor at your battery draining esp if it has bad CCA so your car will have a prob starting and so would your genius buddy using your subs without starting the car lol. The capacitor wouldn't be a draining issue either since I ran a huge system in my older car and never had an issue once I upgraded my battery and made sure my alternator could take the pull of my system. You may want to check you alt if you get a stronger battery and it kills off your new battery too. Took me like 4 batteries before I replaced my alt and then never had the prob again.
my cousin hes like 12 hahah
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Unregistered User

I got 05 TSX with 29k miles and still have stock panasonic engine barely starts tho, lol
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sortudo7
The Acura battery isn't the greatest but leaving the dome lights on shouldn't kill off a battery
What? The clock will drain the battery given enough time and by that I mean a few weeks of not driving the car. A dome light draws much more current than that and can easily drain the battery in a few hours. I don't know where you go the idea that batteries have infinite capacity.

Theresa, the car will always turn over several times before it even starts firing the plugs. This is an emissions thing and it's doing what it's supposed to do. I do wish they would put some sort of circuitry though that shuts this process off the battery voltage is low. Some times a couple cranks is all you can get out of a cold battery.

And for the record, -36 is fucking absurd. That's the earth telling you not to live there :p
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
What? The clock will drain the battery given enough time and by that I mean a few weeks of not driving the car. A dome light draws much more current than that and can easily drain the battery in a few hours. I don't know where you go the idea that batteries have infinite capacity.

Theresa, the car will always turn over several times before it even starts firing the plugs. This is an emissions thing and it's doing what it's supposed to do. I do wish they would put some sort of circuitry though that shuts this process off the battery voltage is low. Some times a couple cranks is all you can get out of a cold battery.

And for the record, -36 is fucking absurd. That's the earth telling you not to live there :p
Yeah, I remembered from my hours of reading the AZ that there WAS a real reason my car turned over a awhile before it starts, but I couldn't really remember. Thanks for refreshing my memory. As for the record lows, I had it easy at my house, some parts of the county I live in had 44 - 47 below, and we set a new record in the state at -50.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Theresa, the car will always turn over several times before it even starts firing the plugs. This is an emissions thing and it's doing what it's supposed to do.
Don't know where you heard this, but it is not true. There can be no "emissions benefit" from not firing the spark plugs.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Drifting

It's definitely true. I forget the exact details but it's something along the lines of building up vacuum. Come to think of it, it's the injectors that cause the delay rather than the ignition.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by t_in_maine
This weekend we're expecting lows of -36 overnight, and I'll be surprised if my car starts.
Originally Posted by t_in_maine
for the record lows, I had it easy at my house, some parts of the county I live in had 44 - 47 below, and we set a new record in the state at -50.
damn, that's cold, and i lived in buffalo weather. get an optima battery and use 0w20 synth oil.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interstate- i have no problems

It was -5 Thursday here.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
wow - been a while since i've been on here - didn't know you were a MOD. i just replaced my battery at Sam's club for $55. I don't know the brand.

But the OEM battery was crap. it died a few weeks ago when i was sitting near the tran station for 8 minutes with the radio on! i've never had a car that died that quickly.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
JDM Addict

It's definitely true. I forget the exact details but it's something along the lines of building up vacuum. Come to think of it, it's the injectors that cause the delay rather than the ignition.
yes, this is true.
I was always pissed that I had to let the car crank a second or three
before it would start, so I brought it into the dealer.
they refused to do anything, said it was normal, didn't explain anything though,
and told me my battery was fine and that OEM batteries have no problems.
I didn't believe them.

so I went out an bought an Optima red top.
seems the first two times or so it cranked a touch faster, but not much.
I left the car sitting for two weeks, and the battery died.
so I went out and bought a battery tender.

I don't drive much, so the car dying is a normal thing I suppose.
can't leave it sitting very long at all without driving or it will die.

anyway, the Optima performed identical to the OEM, so I bought a
Braille battery. same thing, slow crank. took it back to the dealer
and this time the service manager explained that it was normal and
there was no way around it.

keeping the battery charged to 100% helps, but only a little bit.
there will always be a small delay during the start/crank. no matter
what battery you have. or so my dealer and experience say.

so now I have an extra Optima and an extra OEM battery, both new, lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Drifting

I just happened to be looking for something in my manual last night and noticed that they say if you're going to leave the car parked for more than two weeks you should disconnect the battery. I guess it makes sense that there has to be some electrical drawl for things like watching for the signal from the fob.

For what it's worth, my friends Mercedes S550 will suck the life out of the battery in a little over a week of not being driven. That thing is packed full of electronic gadgetry. It appears this is just going to be a way of life for modern vehicles. They need to start building solar cells into the roof or something... actually the moon roof would be the perfect place, hmmmm.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

^^ radio station presets, security system, Navi setting? I'm guessing all must draw a small current when the car is off. I recall reading about the 2-week time period as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Oh and by the way, for any one who has a vehicle they don't drive often, the battery tender is a fantastic option. I have one on my bike and the battery is always fully charged, even after sitting all winter. You have the option of hooking up a permanent connection to the battery (as opposed to gator clips) and then you just have quick connect fitting tucked away somewhere accessible. When you park, connect the battery tender. When it's time to go, just unplug the wire and tuck the connector back if need be. It will keep your battery in better shape over the long term too because it reduces the sulfur build up on the plates.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I just happened to be looking for something in my manual last night and noticed that they say if you're going to leave the car parked for more than two weeks you should disconnect the battery. I guess it makes sense that there has to be some electrical drawl for things like watching for the signal from the fob.

For what it's worth, my friends Mercedes S550 will suck the life out of the battery in a little over a week of not being driven. That thing is packed full of electronic gadgetry. It appears this is just going to be a way of life for modern vehicles. They need to start building solar cells into the roof or something... actually the moon roof would be the perfect place, hmmmm.
the new prius is going to have solar cells in the moon roof!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Damn, every time I have a good idea, some one beats me to it.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My OEM battery was slow to turn over for a while, but last March it died while I had the CD player on as I was cleaning my interior last year. I put in one of the Goldtop batteries from Autozone (Duralast I think) and it's been great since. F the OEM battery.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Damn, every time I have a good idea, some one beats me to it.
lol. it's giving the Prius a little bump in fuel economy too. pretty smart.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Advanced

The battery on my 05 TSX failed load testing and was replaced for free at the dealership about 1 hour ago. I was told that 2005 and newer batteries are covered for 4 years independent of mileage. It was replaced with an Acura battery (not made by Panasonic) with a 100-month warranty.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM
3rd Gear

bro my panasonic stock batt just died too. i feel kinda bad putting duralast in.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by myblacktsx
The battery on my 05 TSX failed load testing and was replaced for free at the dealership about 1 hour ago. I was told that 2005 and newer batteries are covered for 4 years independent of mileage. It was replaced with an Acura battery (not made by Panasonic) with a 100-month warranty.
i'm kinda disappointed i didn't know this a week ago, but then again, i feel better having a completely different battery in there.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by myblacktsx
Kinda makes me wonder if they switched suppliers after the 04 model run.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
i'm kinda disappointed i didn't know this a week ago, but then again, i feel better having a completely different battery in there.
I guess you did not read the 2006 tsx warranty booklet- on page 8 it states original equipment battery is covered for the first 4 years 0n page 9 it states replacement battery from the acura dealer is covered by a 100 month (8 yrs/4 mths) limited warranty
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Acura is NOT replacing the 410 CCA battery with a higher CCA ones when they come in for bad battery. I asked my dealer that.

Or my dealer is a douchebag.