2006 TSX Sunroof - Gap of space on the drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 TSX Sunroof - Gap of space on the drivers side

So, i've been meaning to post about this, and i am travelling so i don't have a picture of this yet but has anyone with a 2006 (or prior model year if they have the same issue) noticed that the interior headliner appears to be flush on the passenger side but a bit of a gap on the driver side? i'm talking about the front part of the sunroof, if you slide your fingers along it from right to left, it appears there is more room on the left than on the right. i've been meaning to look at another 2006 model to see if there is actually an issue with my TSX or if this is just how it is.

i never noticed it, til my dad got in the car last weekend and pointed it out.

now i'm wondering.

also wish i had a good picture of it, but it's gonna be a tough angle to get.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it leak? My '06 doesn't seem to have this issue. However, when my sunroof is open or tilted up, I hear a loud high pitched pop when I start to drive the car.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Knox
Does it leak? My '06 doesn't seem to have this issue. However, when my sunroof is open or tilted up, I hear a loud high pitched pop when I start to drive the car.
it's not a leaking issues, it's the inside of the car. the sunfroof itself doesn't have the gap, but where the headliner is, on the right side, it is further up against the roof, and on the left side, there's a slight gap. i don't know how to explain it. i'm gonna have to take a ride to the dealership i guess and check out some other 2006's
Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced.

Originally Posted by bradykp
it's not a leaking issues, it's the inside of the car. the sunfroof itself doesn't have the gap, but where the headliner is, on the right side, it is further up against the roof, and on the left side, there's a slight gap. i don't know how to explain it. i'm gonna have to take a ride to the dealership i guess and check out some other 2006's
The reason I asked about the leak is that all sunroof's leak, they just have drains to carry the water away. I was concerned whether or not the drain would interfere with the gap on the inside in some way.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Still Lovin my 06

The reason I asked about the leak is that all sunroof's leak, they just have drains to carry the water away. I was concerned whether or not the drain would interfere with the gap on the inside in some way.
i see. well, i'll try and take a picture of it this weekend. but i dunno, maybe it's just how the roof is slanted, and no big deal.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM
6MT or Death

So, i've been meaning to post about this, and i am travelling so i don't have a picture of this yet but has anyone with a 2006 (or prior model year if they have the same issue) noticed that the interior headliner appears to be flush on the passenger side but a bit of a gap on the driver side? i'm talking about the front part of the sunroof, if you slide your fingers along it from right to left, it appears there is more room on the left than on the right. i've been meaning to look at another 2006 model to see if there is actually an issue with my TSX or if this is just how it is.

i never noticed it, til my dad got in the car last weekend and pointed it out.

now i'm wondering.

also wish i had a good picture of it, but it's gonna be a tough angle to get.
Neither my TSX nor either of the other two I've ridden in have had this issue. I'll double check.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I notice that opening/closing the sunroof is very loud, a lot louder than other cars with sunroof. Is that normal too?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

It's even on mine (2006).
Old 06-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jpt
It's even on mine (2006).
hmmmmm..........this is odd. now i cant wait to get back to hoboken from detroit.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Still Lovin my 06

So i stopped by a dealership yesterday and checked out some other TSXs. Much to my dismay, the sunroof on all the others is flush when the visor is closed. Something must be bent in my roof, because mine is only flush in the passenger corner. Service is scheduled for next Thursday. Does anyone have any idea what they could even do?

i have one pic from when i got the car, but it's tough to notice in this, since the visor is not closed:

Old 06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Yeah, that definitely looks misaligned from that picture. It looks creased down above the driver side visor's band.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by swirlie
Yeah, that definitely looks misaligned from that picture. It looks creased down above the driver side visor's band.
i don't even know how they would fix this? it's structural. maybe they can just give me a new car hahahaha. yeah right! that would solve my hole in the bumper problem!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Drifting

ya i definatley don't have that on my '06... i have no clue what service could involve for this... but hopefully they can fix it for you... seems like it would be a mostly cosmetic issue...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by cibs
ya i definatley don't have that on my '06... i have no clue what service could involve for this... but hopefully they can fix it for you... seems like it would be a mostly cosmetic issue...
but i don't care if it's cosmetic. it's a bent piece in the structure. they gotta figure something out, that aint right! new car new car new car!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This morning I looked at my car trying to find out what you're talking about, and I just didn't see it *shrugs*
Old 06-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
This morning I looked at my car trying to find out what you're talking about, and I just didn't see it *shrugs*
i'm gonna take a picture tonight, just been so busy but here's the jist of it:

basically, you have the interior piece of your sunroof open (not the glass, just the visor part). if you close this, it should close completely flush, so that the bar in front of it meets it cleanly. mine is not flush approximately 80% of the way, going from left to right. it's only flush in the right corner. the gap is large enough on the left corner to fit my fingers in. leads me to believe something is bent. it's been that way since i got it, but i only recently noticed it wasn't normal, after seeing another TSX.

i'll take some pics tonight and then try to remember how to post them
Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Drifting

but i don't care if it's cosmetic. it's a bent piece in the structure. they gotta figure something out, that aint right! new car new car new car!

clearly it should be perfect cuz it's just a new car... i wasn't trying to imply that you should live with it because it's cosmetic... i was saying that hopefully it's an easier fix because it's cosmetic... if your whole roof was buckling that'd be a bigger problem clearly...
Old 06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

If it's not a critical part of the frame/structure, they might just pound it back into shape?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by swirlie
If it's not a critical part of the frame/structure, they might just pound it back into shape?
i'm worried about possible solutions.....
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Still Lovin my 06

pictures as best as i could:

hope this helps explain

Old 06-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Racer

^that's a definate defect...there really shouldn't be any arguements if/when you go to the dealer
Old 06-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Greg-ster
^that's a definate defect...there really shouldn't be any arguements if/when you go to the dealer
i dont expect arguments, just not sure what a possible fix is. it's not like they can replace the roof.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Any update on this bradykp? What was the dealer's response?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Any update on this bradykp? What was the dealer's response?
the fiance was supposed to take it in for service today, but she was too lazy to get out of bed this morning, so now we have to reschedule it.

i tell you, some people.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
This picture tells the story.

It's a headliner problem. If you see the closer 1/2 of the headliner where it meets the sunroof visor, it doesn't seem to bend upwards enough to 1: Close the gap, and 2: it sticks out (towards the rear of the car) causing cosmetic misalignment.

I'd say they should either replace the heeadliner (not too big a job, really), or MAYBE there's a clip or something that isn't properly fastened, causing the section to be deformed like it is.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:46 AM

Doesn't appear to be any clips at the foreward portion of the sunroof opening of the headliner. My guess is they will probably need to replace the headliner outright.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Still Lovin my 06

does anyone think there are possible problems with fixing this? like, are there any structural concerns i should worry about, and just leave it the way it is? i don't want to create any other problems fixing something that is mostly just cosmetic. i didn't even notice it until my dad pointed it out.

i just want it fixed.

jeez, if i saw it when we bought the car (combined with the screw in the bumper!) i would have waited for a new model to come in!

must say, a couple minor details did sour this first new car experience, but i love the TSX anyways!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:41 AM

I do not think there are structural problems - just a defective headliner.

The headliner is essentially 100% non-load-bearing and has no effect on the structural integrity. It will simply be unfastened and replaced with a new one, no harm done structurally or otherwise.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by curls
I do not think there are structural problems - just a defective headliner.

The headliner is essentially 100% non-load-bearing and has no effect on the structural integrity. It will simply be unfastened and replaced with a new one, no harm done structurally or otherwise.
sounds good. and it's obvious the car came this way, so i don't think i should have a problem.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Still Lovin my 06

dropped the car off yesterday, will update everyone when i know.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Open Road Acura in NJ - Service was a Dream

So i dropped my car of wednesday night for my thursday service appointment.

While we were there we also mentioned the rattling from the center console since they'd be taking care of the sunroof gap.

they tried to convince me that since i was at 11,000 miles, i should get an oil change, saying acura recommends every 5,000 miles. then i asked about the maintenence minder and why i shouldn't just listen to that when it says i have 30% left. the guy bit his tongue. i believe all dealers do this though.

so we call on thursday afternoon and they say it's done, come pick it up anytime before 9.

we pick it up, and the rattling is gone (wasnt a big deal anyways), and all they needed to do was reattach the headliner (something must not have been attached).

so now the headliner is fine, the rattling is gone and.....

they detailed my car!

now, it's not the greatest job in the world if i had paid for it, but they shined up the dashboard and all of the center console for me, steering wheel is spotless, vacuumed the dust out of it and shined up my wheels.

wish they scrubbed my floor mats, but wow, i was very impressed.

i will be taking my acura to Open Road for service for ever!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

I was searching for sunroof leak, and came across above comment and had a question. Its raining pretty hard outside right now, and I just drove the car home. I noticed, if I stick my finger between the headliner and the glass of the front of the sunroof, and touch the metal part, its pretty wet, more than couple drops of water on my fingers. So according to the above comment, this is normal, and I should not worry about it? its 06 TSX, bought this january.

Thanks.