08 TSX Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:37 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 08 TSX Transmission

Can anyone relate to this problem?

I just bought a new 08 TSX 6speed MT/ Nav about a year and a half ago. It has approximately 11K on it. It was making a flapping/ clanking noise and I took it to dealership.

The service agent said it was a transmission/synchro issue. They refused to repair it, because they pulled up an over-rev code on the engine log. (P0129) With this claim, they are saying that it is not a manufacturing defect, and refuse to make the repair. Acura Corporate is defending this claim, and I am forced to seek legal representation to be reimbursed for the repair.

1) What does the engine Over-rev, have to do with the transmission breakdown?
2) Is Acura using the P-code as a reason, not to make a legitimate repair?

if anyone can help, or have a similar situation, please advise.
thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GiantRobot77
Can anyone relate to this problem?

I just bought a new 08 TSX 6speed MT/ Nav about a year and a half ago. It has approximately 11K on it. It was making a flapping/ clanking noise and I took it to dealership.

The service agent said it was a transmission/synchro issue. They refused to repair it, because they pulled up an over-rev code on the engine log. (P0129) With this claim, they are saying that it is not a manufacturing defect, and refuse to make the repair. Acura Corporate is defending this claim, and I am forced to seek legal representation to be reimbursed for the repair.

2) Is Acura using the P-code as a reason, not to make a legitimate repair?

thanks

Your syncros should not be going bad at 11k. I've had a hell of a time dealing with the stealership with my transmission. I've had them take my tranny apart over 5 times in 4 months just to fix all of my problems with the syncros, clutch, and gears grinding! They've had to of replaced every part of the transimission and they still didn't fix everything. All under warranty, however I didn't have that code.

Depends on your driving too but however last time I checked, syncros weren't part of normal wear and tear category unless someone needs to correct me. I'd personally take it to another dealership and see what they say.

Also, looks like they are using the "over rev code" to determine that you were not driving in normal conditions of the car, I know that my buddy use to work at a chevy dealership and use to get codes on peoples cars like this all the time, and they dont warrant anything with those codes. Basically says that you were screwing around with the car, or it just determines that it is drivers error beacause of the way that you were driving. BS to me. Honestly I wouldn't know what to do in your shoes.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
no problems with my 06 manual transmission after almost 88,000 miles. Even tho you syncros should not be going bad at such low mileage they can by the way it is driven

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 07-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
6th Gear

I had one or two bad shifts, where I forgot to shift up. But in general i drive in a normal manner. But despite the over-rev, how does engine revolutions correlate with transmission breakdown??? Ive had a mechanic tell me that even if i was going top speed, and the tach was at 7K+, the transmission should not be affected. And even more so at such a young age on the car.
What are they making transmissions out of these days? Cheese??!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one or two bad shifts, where I forgot to shift up. But in general i drive in a normal manner. But despite the over-rev, how does engine revolutions correlate with transmission breakdown??? Ive had a mechanic tell me that even if i was going top speed, and the tach was at 7K+, the transmission should not be affected. And even more so at such a young age on the car.
What are they making transmissions out of these days? Cheese??!
Yea these trannies have some issues that vary from car to car. My 04 wouldnt go into 2nd gear past 6k rpms and i only had 52k miles. They wouldnt replace/fix it under warranty and told me i was speed shifting (not pressing the clutch in while shifting). At that point i had so many things i wanted to do to the guy.. I didnt want to talk about it i just wanted to punch someone..haha. Then i had the intake and dc header on at the time so that didnt help the issue. I also had a Exedy clutch i was trying to have them put in after they found out what the issue was with the tranny because i thought my clutch was just going bad.

I found out that i had gear shavings in the tranny and 2nd gear was pretty much gone and they told me that they didnt know how i even got it into gear at all.. With all that said and done i chilled out with frequent 1/4 mile sessions at the track with the new tranny in. 50K+ miles with no track time and a few sprinted driving sessions thru that span, the tranny started again with the 2nd gear not wanting go in. I think its more of an issue at higher revs. Regular cruising and you wouldnt notice any issues.. start reving and the tranny might act a fool!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
I found out that i had gear shavings in the tranny and 2nd gear was pretty much gone and they told me that they didnt know how i even got it into gear at all. With all that said and done i chilled out with frequent 1/4 mile sessions at the track with the new tranny in. 50K+ miles with no track time and a few sprinted driving sessions thru that span, the tranny started again with the 2nd gear not wanting go in. I think its more of an issue at higher revs. Regular cruising and you wouldnt notice any issues.. start reving and the tranny might act a fool!

Even though u turned down the speeding, it broke on you again after 50K?? So wouldnt you connect this to a mfr defect??? I also read on a separate site, that skipping gears is bad for the tranny, and has been known to cause breakdowns.
Looking at another post, another member also had gears stripped and a document was discovered via Acura Tech Line Summary. Check out the thread
04 TSX 6MT - Front-end sound and a clicking through gearshift. The article in the thread refers to a manufacturing defect in the differential, that Acura will deny upfront and hides from its customers. the article is the only proof of their own wrongdoing.

I'm beginning to learn that there is something inherently wrong with Honda Acura transmissions. Does Honda expect all people to drive like grandma? Honestly, there is nothing wrong with taking the car out for an occasional sprint, without expecting it to fail. I want to enjoy my car, without worrying it will break on the slightest rev! I can understand the mfr protecting themselves from racers, by refusing to fix OverRev engines, but not everyone with an OverRev is a racer. Honda/Acura is being ridiculous.

Last edited by GiantRobot77; 07-19-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

i worked at a bmw dealership and we had an e46 m3 come in with 3 blown motors. all of them over revs that blew them. we could check the ecu but couldnt use it because it fell under some invasion of privacy law. im in ny if that helps. if that car you bought was from an acura dealer as a cpo it could have come with the over rev from the previous owner. dealers are hurt for money right now and warranty work doesnt pay well so they might do anything they can to get it to be a customer pay.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM
6th Gear

Status Update: I filed a case with BBB Auto Line. Started a case with the independent mediator, and he ruled in my favor. Yay! Acura was obligated to fix the transmission. The TSX was towed to the dealership, Tranny, clutch, and 2 damaged axels were also repaired as reported by the Service Advisor. They also threw in a free Oil Change. They became very nice at the dealership all of a sudden.
I fought the law, and I won!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM
2008 PWP TSX + Nav / Auto

Wow, that's a nice turn of events. I'm glad to hear it. I hope my 08 TSX won't have the similar issues.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW!! So was the fact that you bought it used a contributor to the resolution? Congrats and do yourself a favor, drive the car, but don't do stupid shit with the transmission. I've got almost 96k on my 04 TSX and no issues with the transmission. Lot's of issues with aftermarket parts that I've put on it... all supposedly top quality.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks
The over-rev can only occur on a downshift - you banged it into a lower gear and over-revved the engine when you left the clutch out. Total driver error,
not very smart ...

The engine can not be over-revved when accelerating because the fuel and/or spark is shut off at 7300 (I think) rpm.

Consider yourself very fortunate that Acura repaired the tranny - and that the mediator ruled in your favor. I probably would not have been so tolerant were I the mediator.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Racer

Lot's of issues with aftermarket parts that I've put on it... all supposedly top quality

Sigh... I am in the same boat. I should have just left things alone. It has become more of a hassle than a source of enjoyment...be wary when moddin the only car ya got.