06 o2 Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 o2 Sensor Replacement

I tried to replace the rear (after cat) o2 sensor on my 06 TSX. I had the car jacked up and found where everything seems to go. Basic question: after pulling out the rubber plug that some of the wires go through, (not on the o2 sensor side, the other side (the one the plugs into the car), do I just pull the existing plug out and put the new plug in? Is it that simple? We did not want to yank too hard and break something with the fear that it would be too hard to get out after something snapped. I fgured I would come to the 'zine and see if someone could help. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
O2 sensors are generally threaded and screw into the exhaust pipe. Kinda like a spark plug, only bigger. They make O2 sensor sockets that have a slit cut in the side for the wire to hang through after you disconnect it.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by litesout
O2 sensors are generally threaded and screw into the exhaust pipe. Kinda like a spark plug, only bigger. They make O2 sensor sockets that have a slit cut in the side for the wire to hang through after you disconnect it.
Thanks but I am talking about the other side (not the side that is threaded; the actual sensor). I am talking about the other side of the equation. The side after all of the wires that must plug into the car and feed what the actual 02 sensor reads.
That being said is there a way I can just replace the sensor itself and not have to F with all of the other wiring that goes with it? I was sent the whole system.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ I believe you need to pull the back seat in order to get to that other side of the harness for the secondary O2 sensor. You do not want to just yank on it. It will not come off like that.

The back seat isn't too hard to take out though. There is just one screw in the middle holding it in place. I would search through coilover installs, because you have to remove the back seat during that install too.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Racer

Whoa. Thanks. But me and pops were looking and it seems that the wires lead under the front passenger seat. He even poked his finger in a hole that was where the wires seemed to lead to and the carpet under the passenger seat was rising. Right next to the heat vent under the front passenger seat.
The only problem was we saw no where the wires could be coming out of the carpet; it ws one (for the most part) solid piece.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why are you changing it? what CELs are you seeing?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 PM
2006 ASM tsx

so I replaced mine today...

to unplug the plug for the o2 sensor, you have to actually unbolt the seat and there is a black pin in the middle of under the seat holding the carpet down over the plug.

i found this via putting a screwdriver in the other hole that that had a rubber cover as well and found exactly where the wire was coming up into the car. Felt like a lot of unecessary work just to get to a plug, but it wasn't that bad.

New sensor installed and guess what! after drive a good maybe 3 miles the CEL came on again.. sigh I have yet to read the code because I thought it was cleared for good :'( I think i am going to go ahead ahead and just purchase an L shaped defouler and see how that works, I wish I knew exactly what was causing the issue; I noticed my old spark plug adapter is black as well as the o2 sensor (from when I had it straight into the RT cat w/o the home made defouler)
Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Racer

I am getting the p0420 code. Cat functioning below spec (in basic terms)

It is frustrating because some people have been able to do a quick fix with a defouler and some others (like myself) have not found a solution after trying many.

Interesting though...we both have 06's. A shop told me the computers are just getting more sophisticated and sometimes harder to slip things by.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 AM
2006 ASM tsx

true.. but i had a reflash... and you have a supercharger right?

I too find this extremely frustrating because I dont like seeing the cel lol...

you also have an rt cat right?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 AM
2006 ASM tsx

i've read a few places that p0420 is very similar to my code...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vthree
true.. but i had a reflash... and you have a supercharger right?

I too find this extremely frustrating because I dont like seeing the cel lol...

you also have an rt cat right?
My code started to come on last year around this time before my car was supercharged.
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/check-emisson-light-after-aftermarket-exhaust-header-cat-put-701039/
My cat is a Mugen one. I would just go back to stock to fix the problem but the stock unit and the Mugen one are different sizes (lengthwise), which basically means I have to replace the intake mani, downpipe and the cat back to stock. Because the car is supercharged I doubt that I would see that much less power but either way it sucks to do after what I spent on the parts.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
2006 ASM tsx

yeah, i've been referencing to your other thread as well. Sorry to hear about the mods, I was lucky to get the sensor for only $50; off a different site - it's actually for an RSX Type S; but parts seemed very similar and fitted just fine.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
From looking on the Honda Parts web site, it looks like they're two different sensors. They may be the same size and have the same harness connector on them, but they may deliver different voltages back to the PCM. Not 100% sure on that, you'd have to have the electrical service manuals for both cars to compare. But that could be why your CEL came right back on, it may not have anything to do with the RT cat. Might being the key word.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:17 AM
2006 ASM tsx

good news!
so i removed my spark plug defoulers yesterday... drove it all day yesterday and today hard and moderate and then regular driving... no CEL.

i was uber happy when i past a certain spot where the cel had gone off twice on my way to work.

removing the spacers removed my cel and the car drives a lot better now...
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Racer

I was able to get the car inspected but then the light came back on the next day. So at least at this point the car is inspected and I don't have to be anxious over that for 11 months or so. But I want the light to be off.
I too was gonna take off the spacer and see what happens with the light. It may do the trick as I believe now that the rear sensor was bad all of last year. Glad to hear that it worked for you Keep me posted.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vthree
good news!
so i removed my spark plug defoulers yesterday... drove it all day yesterday and today hard and moderate and then regular driving... no CEL.

i was uber happy when i past a certain spot where the cel had gone off twice on my way to work.

removing the spacers removed my cel and the car drives a lot better now...
What's up? Did the light come back on? I took the spacer off and my light came back on the next day. I believe my car is just one that rejects anything but the stock cat.