04 TSX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TSX won't start

First off this is my wifes car and she has not told me of any problems before this, so if there were she didn't say. It is 2.4 ltr. /auto.
We had a lot of snow the last 2 weeks, so when we were able to get it out of the garage we left it outside. It was not driven for a couple of days, until roads cleared. I go to start the car and it started a little hard, like a low battery. I let the car run for a couple of hours that night so it woulod charge for the next morning. The next morning she called saying it would not start. She tried jump starting and still no go. I get home and no start. All accessories come on with the ignition, lights, heater, radio, everything. But no cranking or click of the starter when I turn the ignition. I have 12.7 volts on the battery, strong lights, checked the fuses in the engine compartment, and for any obvious loose wires.
I would think this is maybe the starter? Any other suggestions.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by powellba
First off this is my wifes car and she has not told me of any problems before this, so if there were she didn't say. It is 2.4 ltr. /auto.
We had a lot of snow the last 2 weeks, so when we were able to get it out of the garage we left it outside. It was not driven for a couple of days, until roads cleared. I go to start the car and it started a little hard, like a low battery. I let the car run for a couple of hours that night so it woulod charge for the next morning. The next morning she called saying it would not start. She tried jump starting and still no go. I get home and no start. All accessories come on with the ignition, lights, heater, radio, everything. But no cranking or click of the starter when I turn the ignition. I have 12.7 volts on the battery, strong lights, checked the fuses in the engine compartment, and for any obvious loose wires.
I would think this is maybe the starter? Any other suggestions.
Welcome. We're starting to get reports of bad starters (no pun intended) and I guess it's not surprising since these cars are getting older. But I'd want to dispense with worrying about the battery first. Not to sound condescending, but are you sure the jump start attempt was a good one? Are the battery cables tight and clean? Is the battery original? If it is, aside from being at least 7 and more likely 8 years old, the OE battery that Honda used (uses?) is not particularly well regarded. But...... it being unwilling to start with a jump start doesn't sound promising. It could be the starter. Aside from trying a new battery, there's not much else you could do (at home anyway). Maybe flatbed it to a Honda or Acura dealer and have them test it (or it may start now. Starters often "come and go" as they start to fail). And even if it is the starter, still..... if you haven't replaced the battery, you should (even a good one is getting suspect at 5-6 years).
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

It's got to be the starter. I have an 04 tsx auto 2.4 as well and I even had my starter tested at the auto store and they said it was bad. My car starts like BRAND new now!! We replaced it ourselves, and beware, it is a little difficult to get the new one in if you buy it aftermarket because it is a different mechanism. If you buy it from the dealer it should be easy.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM
2nd Gear

Changed the starter and battery(for good measure). Started fine for me but wife said it still has a little trouble starting, haven't tried starting to see what she meant. Is there a relay in the engine compartment that could be hanging up or maybe a dirty contact in the ignition?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by powellba
Changed the starter and battery(for good measure). Started fine for me but wife said it still has a little trouble starting, haven't tried starting to see what she meant. Is there a relay in the engine compartment that could be hanging up or maybe a dirty contact in the ignition?
Good question, but all I've read about here has been starter and battery related.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced

Had same problem. Battery voltage was 12.8. Charging circut was operating. No shorts detected. Starting varied between no problem and very hard starting similar to a low battery condition. Turned out to be the starter. Another $400 repair. (remanufactured)