StreetEffectz TSX Headunit install (Sickest Thing I have ever Seen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
StreetEffectz TSX Headunit install (Sickest Thing I have ever Seen)

This is probably the sickest thing I have ever seen and I think I will be getting this done to my tsx. StreetEffectz has been known to do really good work but personally I think this is there best ever.

Download from this link dont play straight from it as requested by StreetEffectz
www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsx.AVI
Old 10-29-2005, 11:02 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
damn....
Old 10-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool...
Old 10-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro

Speechless....
I wonder how much that cost, labor wise.
I suppose that car is non-navi?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
what would happened to the stock stereo?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:31 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxboost
I suppose that car is non-navi?
yeah it was non-nav more here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/streeteffectz-tsx-headunit-install-322873/
Old 10-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow so useless? Why was he opening and closing that thing half way? soo ghetto. The leather around the pioneer 5 inch screen looks cheap also.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
wow so useless? Why was he opening and closing that thing half way? soo ghetto. The leather around the pioneer 5 inch screen looks cheap also.
why is it useless. the reason it only opens half way is cause they took the main unit of the pioneer avic-d1 and mounted it down there with the pocket door on it instead of the screen. they then mounted the screen infront the of factory headunit and molded it in. the door opens so you can insert a cd.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by tnl_tsx
what would happened to the stock stereo?
it is still behind the screen.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
it is still behind the screen.
can you still use the stock stereo at all? or can it be link to the new avic d1?
Old 10-30-2005, 12:32 AM

no cause there is no way to push the buttons
Old 10-30-2005, 02:01 AM
Racer

thats pretty sick where can i get one
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Burning Brakes

why is it useless. the reason it only opens half way is cause they took the main unit of the pioneer avic-d1 and mounted it down there with the pocket door on it instead of the screen. they then mounted the screen infront the of factory headunit and molded it in. the door opens so you can insert a cd.
hahaha it opens so he can put a cd in? Seems more ghetto now that I understand it.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 AM
Instructor

well i dont think it's ghetto. a lot of headunits open/close for CD. my old sony flipped open when u push a button for the CD.

the open button should be located near the CD player.. it would be more practical.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sebo
well i dont think it's ghetto. a lot of headunits open/close for CD. my old sony flipped open when u push a button for the CD.

the open button should be located near the CD player.. it would be more practical.
they cant just pull the button off the face. obviously you dont under sthand that, that used to be one unit as a whole. they took it a part and moved the screen.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Instructor

they cant just pull the button off the face. obviously you dont under sthand that, that used to be one unit as a whole. they took it a part and moved the screen.
i know dude, just saying they should made a custom button then
Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's prett damn sick I want that set up!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

hahaha it opens so he can put a cd in? Seems more ghetto now that I understand it.

Actually, the way they mounted it is absolute genious! I've been wondering how to flush mount a double din screen in the oem location, and now we finally know how.

In case you hadn't noticed ALL full face cd players and screens ALWAYS fold down to insert a cd.

The only thing I would've changed would be to fiberglass the surrounding area and paint it. I usually don't like leather or pleather on dashes.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

if you need someone to explain to you what's going on, i think you need help understanding anything.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Future Seminole

that is exactly what i want to do.

if only i had the money
Old 10-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I admire the work and quality of the install, but if the main head unit is behind the door, and the shift knob is right in front of the door, it would be VERY awkward to put in and take out CDs from that position. It may have been better, from an ergonomic standpoint, to just mount the whole unit up top.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I admire the work and quality of the install, but if the main head unit is behind the door, and the shift knob is right in front of the door, it would be VERY awkward to put in and take out CDs from that position. It may have been better, from an ergonomic standpoint, to just mount the whole unit up top.
guess you havent been around long. you cant mount the entire unit up top unless you dont want to have AC and Heat. The factory headunit and ac controls are on the same circuit board. You cant remove one with out the other.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by loxllxol
Actually, the way they mounted it is absolute genious! I've been wondering how to flush mount a double din screen in the oem location, and now we finally know how.

In case you hadn't noticed ALL full face cd players and screens ALWAYS fold down to insert a cd.

The only thing I would've changed would be to fiberglass the surrounding area and paint it. I usually don't like leather or pleather on dashes.
I agree I am very tempted to do it.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

guess you havent been around long. you cant mount the entire unit up top unless you dont want to have AC and Heat. The factory headunit and ac controls are on the same circuit board. You cant remove one with out the other.
OK. But, that explanation won't do much good when the guy's trying to put a CD in and the shift knob gets in the way. I'd like to see a video showing how much clearance there is w/ the lid open and someone trying to put a CD in.

Look, I give credit for it being a very high quality, impressive install. But, if the ergonomics were not well thought out, it still would be a PITA to use on a daily basis.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Banned

OK. But, that explanation won't do much good when the guy's trying to put a CD in and the shift knob gets in the way. I'd like to see a video showing how much clearance there is w/ the lid open and someone trying to put a CD in.

Look, I give credit for it being a very high quality, impressive install. But, if the ergonomics were not well thought out, it still would be a PITA to use on a daily basis.

If you look at the video, the cd slot is well above the shift knob. Even when it's in Park (the closest it will ever get to the cd slot) there's still plenty of clearance. Now if you put it in drive, you'll have enen more clearance.

This setup is a LOT more ergonomically efficient than the alternative (which is installing a motorizined fold-up screen in the storage bin).

Also, I'm not sure why putting in a cd is such a huge issue for you. It takes 2 seconds to put in a CD...then the rest of the time, you're using the touchscreen.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Putting in CDs aren't a big deal for me. I use an iPod. For the rare occasion where I need to play a CD, I use the factory 6 disk changer.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:02 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks very cool, (hope its available in different panels such as CF, or Fiberglass or even plastic)

Also Will the XM radio still be accessible? So many questions!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 AM
Racer

I have a HU with a fold down face mounted in the area where the factory mp3 player would go - that same bin area. It looks from the video that modified bin would be about the same height and distance when open as mine. I have no problem using it, shifter (5AT) never has gotten in the way.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

hmmm idk if thats really worth all the trouble... you loose an entire storage bin. and im assuming that the screen has all the options that it replaced? just seems a bit cheesy to me. of course soon as we start learning about actuators and i have some spare cash ill wind up making half the car automatic. eitherway... im still skeptical about the screen covering the head unit.

im still all for using that bottom bin as a navi screen holder. that to me would be worth loosing the bin... not for a cd changer.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Guinea Pig

Great job! Looks very cool. But I guess I was expecting it to be a nav HU conversion so I have to admit that it wasn't what I was expecting. Still impressed with it though. SE always produces quality work.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys!

Just to be clear - the Pioneer AVIC-D1 is a DOUBLE DIN headunit - a motorized double din at that. We removed the screen off the unit and had a custom 28" flat flexible cable made to be able to extend the screen to where it is off the main unit. The factory circuit board for the factory radio/HVAC controls are ONE big board, so you can't just take it out. The factory board is still back there and all functions of the A/C work correctly. The new unit is AM/FM/CD/NAVI w/XM radio and XM nav traffic. The lower portion of the storage compartment was modified and we molded the compartment door into the motorized door of the D1 unit. You can insert CD's and get them out just fine, even while the car is in park, it does not interfere with the operation AT ALL.

As far as the finish around the screen - all we did was duplicate the factory finish, but we could finish it in most anything really. It's not "leather" right now - it's not leather when it was factory either, just a smooth black plastic.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
hmmm idk if thats really worth all the trouble... you loose an entire storage bin. and im assuming that the screen has all the options that it replaced? just seems a bit cheesy to me. of course soon as we start learning about actuators and i have some spare cash ill wind up making half the car automatic. eitherway... im still skeptical about the screen covering the head unit.

im still all for using that bottom bin as a navi screen holder. that to me would be worth loosing the bin... not for a cd changer.
It's not a cd-changer - it's the main part of the unit that holds both the cd's and the navi-dvd rom drive - the D1 is a double din and has been taken apart - screen up top, the rest of the unit, which is like 5 inches tall and about 7 inches deep is in the storage comparment - it literally takes up the entire space down there.

Why skeptical about the screen covering the factory radio? The only thing back there is the factory circuit board - we modded the whole dash and removed all the radio buttons to make this work.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

im just skeptical about the fact of having a screen flat out in the open... i guess it would be the same as if i had a navi screen. i understand now why the whole bin is gone... for some reason i thought it was a straight up nav screen and not a head unit.

either way i think its done a great job... i dont know if u posted it but im curious to see what this board will look like before it was covered..

i guess it kinda grows on you.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

Ah, I hear what you're saying now - ya' know, I think I forgot to snap a shot of the board, I took pics of everything but that (I'm going to double check)
Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

how difficult would it be to pop it off. i think ive seen it b4 when someone was changing the LEDs.... i think that was a TSX maybe not...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
So how much did all of that work cost? Looks pretty cool, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay for all of it.

James
Old 10-31-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by itrhybrid
So how much did all of that work cost? Looks pretty cool, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay for all of it.

James
the install and parts cost around $3000
Old 10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
05' NHB TSX

Great work as always StreetEffectz.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
CGP Ebony

Nice, I was wondering, were you able to integrate the steering wheel volume controls, It probably is difficult to wiring it in into the D1 unit.

It would be nice to have this installed
-with the clock still up somehow and able to adjust time
-Integrate the steering wheel volume controls

Nevertheless, amazing install and Wish you were here in the West coast as well.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 AM
CGP Ebony

Is it possible to keep the stock head unit and just frame out the space for the Pioneer D1? Doesnt have to be a perfect fit. would be nice to keep the original piece.

Quick Reply: StreetEffectz TSX Headunit install (Sickest Thing I have ever Seen)