Why no DIY hondata OBDII refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no DIY hondata OBDII refresh?

I wondering why hondata didn't release a DIY OBDII refresh that like the bmw comforti shark injector did. It is way more convenient to just plug the modular in to the obdII socket and do the refresh or restore back to stock at home and even dun need to a screw driver. Why need the harazd to take out the ecu & immbolize and need the car sitting in the driveway for couple days? And why I am not able to switch it back to stock software at any time if I need for warranty work? Why? Why hondata don't do this????

Or should we request Jim Comforti to start programming our car instead of let hondata being monopoly?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The amount of time and effort that went into reverse-engineering the '04 ECU requires that they maintain a monopoly on the service to recoup the development costs and then turn a profit. You're not paying $600 for the reflashing. You're paying $600 for the countless man hours that went into cracking the exorbitantly complex i-VTEC ECU.

Also, good luck finding anybody else who will take the time to properly engineer a reflash for our cars. This is Hondata's specialty, and they are unmatched in it.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

You dun get what I meant! What I complaint about is why we need to send them the ecu for the reflash instead of they send us a module that we can plug it on our car to do the reflash ourselves. Then we can restore & reflash as many times as we can on our car(not other car because it will record your vin). I dun mind pay hondata $600 for the reflash, I just dun want to not able to drive my car for couple days and need to worry about the mailing lost and also want to have a piece of mind that I am able to restore back to stock software in case I need to go for warranty work. Of course completion is always good, I dun mind to pay less.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My guess is Honda uses proprietary codes to program their ECUs, and it requires the proprietary HDS to access those programs. The HDS is very expensive unlike the genric OBD2 scan tools that is readily available on the market.

I think Hondata is using their own TSX as surrogate to install our ECU, and immobilizer. Then connecting the HDS to the OBD2 port for the flashing. Therefore, it's possible to reflash the ECU via the OBD2 port. The question is, can you afford the HDS? I thought about buying one to play with the programming. But it's just too damn expensive.

Honda HDS
Old 09-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
My guess is Honda uses proprietary codes to program their ECUs, and it requires the proprietary HDS to access those programs. The HDS is very expensive unlike the genric OBD2 scan tools that is readily available on the market.

I think Hondata is using their own TSX as surrogate to install our ECU, and immobilizer. Then connecting the HDS to the OBD2 port for the flashing. Therefore, it's possible to reflash the ECU via the OBD2 port. The question is, can you afford the HDS? I thought about buying one to play with the programming. But it's just too damn expensive.

Honda HDS

Yeah, BMW doesn't put all the complexity (at least not when I had one) into their ECUs, not to mention Honda is VERY proprietary on their tools.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moda_way
Yeah, BMW doesn't put all the complexity (at least not when I had one) into their ECUs, not to mention Honda is VERY proprietary on their tools.
Oh! it make Honda sounds like Sony now!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso

Honda HDS
I didn't pay that much for mine. Then again, I didn't pay anything for it.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ianS
Oh! it make Honda sounds like Sony now!
Go price a HONDA ball joint separator and then go look at NAPA for the same thing... that's just one example... plenty more.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by moda_way
Go price a HONDA ball joint separator and then go look at NAPA for the same thing... that's just one example... plenty more.
I'd rather use my Honda balljoint remover. It's > *

Who cares about the price. It makes the job so much easier.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

i have 2 obd2b itr ecus i wanna use anyone know how to get around succesfully get around immobiler issue or anyone that can ? any link is greatly appreciated