Who has experience with R1 Concepts rotors and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Who has experience with R1 Concepts rotors and pads?

I'm in the market for a new set of front brakes, and am seriously considering getting an R1 Concepts package that has their E-line rotors (slotted only, not drilled), and their ceramic pads (according to their eBay pages anyhow). I can probably get a set for all 4 corners for less than I'd pay locally for front brakes (approx $319 USD = about $400 CAD). According to their eBay store, anyhow.

Those with experience with these rotors and this company, how do you like them? I'd rather not spend double for their "Premium" line as I don't need the extreme performance, and don't really care about the black hub as even the E-line ones are zinc coated for anti-rust properties.

Maybe the E-line rotors matched with some Hawk HPS pads, or Axxis Ultimates? I want good stopping power, longevity, and low dust. I've had the HPS's before and they were great but I don't know about the dust (I had gunmetal wheels that hid brake dust and dirt well).

Opinions?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the R1 drilled and slotted rotors and pads. I only installed the rears because my fronts were still good, but I could still feel a difference. Brake dust isnt bad at all and they havent warped on me yet either (knock on wood). I really like the zinc coating aspect. They never showed any signs of rust untill it started snowing and the town was using tons of salt on the roads. Even then it wasnt that bad. The stock rotors will show rust from the dew in the morning sometimes. Over all I am happy with them. I'll be installing the fronts soon since it is starting to get warm out again.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Did you go with the ceramic or semi-metallic pads from R1 Concepts? I did notice that in their product description on their eBay store, they say semi-metallic but the title says ceramic (and there is a price difference). I guess that's just a mistake in the ad though...?
Thanks for your input!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Unregistered User

I got my rotors last week, but I havent installed them
Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know for sure i need to buy new pads... and i too am considering just buying this whole kit... it doesnt make sense to just buy new pads if im planning on getting this kit later right??
Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

I've had R1s for about 10k miles now and no problem. No warping and they still look pretty good. I highly recommend them for the price.

I wrote a review a while ago about them on the other forum.
http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/co...1?sck=10069583
You're welcome. $135 for front and back drilled/slotted. Can't beat this.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Unregistered User

I got premium slotted/drilled front set from them. Does anybody know the difference between premium and usual rotors from R1 ?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM

That is a great price, Zhieson. Shipping to upstate NY (where I can pick them up) is $48, and shipping to my door in Ottawa, Ontario, is $68. But, they ship with UPS which SUUUUUCKS for international shipping (they charge exorbant brokerage fees). I've called R1 to see if they can ship via USPS, as they are usually more reasonable.

Thanks for the link to the deal!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by valeratj
I got premium slotted/drilled front set from them. Does anybody know the difference between premium and usual rotors from R1 ?
Their website says that the Premiums are made from a better blank, and visually they have the black coating/paint instead of just the silver zinc coating.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Eric, I know you asked me this offline, but for the benefit of the other members, here some comments.

r1 concepts D+S e-line rotors front and back- 55k miles, 2 sets of pads (Axxis ULT and Akebono ProActs (street performance ceramics) from Tirerack)

No vibrations, no warping at all. There is rust around the hub, but since I live in cali, I don't have an issue with this.

As for performance, it performs much better in the rain, I haven't had fade issues in normal or spirited driving. The only time I experienced fade was when I bedded the Axxis ULTs using Stoptech's procedure (10 60-0 stops X 2). I did not need to bed in the ProACTs as the manufacture recommended gradual braking for the first 500 miles.

These rotors haven't failed me at all. I have had several very abrupt stops and have high speed stops every day (80-20 mph) with no fade or warping.

I may upgrade my fronts to the premium rotors on my next set of pads, just to keep ahead of any deterioration and wear (drilled and slotted rotors cannot be machined). If I were to estimate, I'm thinking that wouldn't be until after 100k miles, since my ProActs were changed last fall and they still look good.

If you live in SoCal, you can drive to their facility and pick up the rotors. The guys in their FO were cool enough to stay open late to let me pick up my brakes. Seemed like a decent enough operation, IMO.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by curls
Their website says that the Premiums are made from a better blank, and visually they have the black coating/paint instead of just the silver zinc coating.

thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks CGEarl.

I actually spoke with Kit from R1 this afternoon for about 30 minutes. He detailed everything I wanted to know and although I was asking someone who works for R1, I felt he was truly being honest with me, as he did not mention any competitors in a negative light -- he was straightforward and open to answering my questions. Pricing, also, was even better through him than through their website!

I haven't purchased anything yet as I have to inspect my OEM rotors on all 4 corners, and front pads, before plunking down that much money. That will be done this weekend and a decision made by next week most likely.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Safety Car

^^Good stuff. I got that feeling when I talked to them too. No hint of salesmenship, shadiness, or anything. Thought they were pretty cool.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Well, I might not need pads or rotors for a LONG time still:

I just used my digital caliper and depth gauge and measured my rotors and pads. The rotors have a LOT of meat left and there are no real grooves or hot spots. The pads, which currently have 72,000km (48,000 miles) are only used about 40% of their allowable limit. At this pace, I'll be able to ride these same OEM pads for 160,000km / 100,000 miles!

I might upgrade though if the rotors begin to warp any worse, but for now I think I'll leave the cash in my pocket and stick w/ OEM. For now. As it stands now, the only hint of rotor warp / pad transfer is while on the freeway (which I rarely drive anyhow) and having to do quick stops for traffic jams. Once I start to get the on/off brake feeling when slowing down coming up to red lights, then I will surely be examining R1 Concepts again (along with the other options out there).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
R1 uses Centric Rotors and the drills and or slots them. The only difference between the two lines is one is the centric black hat rotors (Black paint on the hat and edge no plating on the contact surface) and a standard no non-painted rotor that they zinc plate. They are not a bad product but just to let you know were they come from. As a new sponsor here I can offer an equivalent house brand rotor for the same or less than their economy line and Name brand product for the same prices as their Premium Line Let me know if I can help at all with parts!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

^^that is good to know. Very good to know.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Curls, let me know what they say about shipping USPS. I got nailed about $50 in brokerage when I ordered pads and rotors from R1 back in 07.

I ordered the economy rotors with Hawk pads (can't recall the line) and I've been happy thus far although it looks like I'm now due for new front pads and maybe rotors after 60K km's.

Jim, I'll be in contact as well. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
Curls, let me know what they say about shipping USPS. I got nailed about $50 in brokerage when I ordered pads and rotors from R1 back in 07.

I ordered the economy rotors with Hawk pads (can't recall the line) and I've been happy thus far although it looks like I'm now due for new front pads and maybe rotors after 60K km's.

Jim, I'll be in contact as well. Thanks.
how do you know you are due for new rotors with drilled and slotted rotors? is it the same visual test (i.e. see your reflection) as regular non drilled/slotted rotors?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by dom
dom: I was quoted $54 (US$) for shipping of 4 rotors and a set of front pads. I spoke with "Kit" from R1 about it and he said that they have an agreement with UPS now that the brokerage is included in that fee now, precisely due to situations you experienced. He equated their new shipping pricing model to that of Tire Rack -- all-in price, no surprises.

Jim: When I eventually need new pads and/or rotors, I'll pop you a PM or email. As I stated earlier though, it might not be for a WHILE at this rate! I'm really, really easy on the brakes it seems...
Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I ran the R1 Concepts basic rotors and pads on my old 04 TSX. Several other local TSX owners were running them and gave good reviews. I thought they were a great product for the price. They performed as well if not better than OEM.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs down R1 Concepts track record

Well here we are at day 23 of a sale gone bad because of poor quality materials. Called to complain, sent bad rotors, was promised refund two weeks ago. Have instead got every poor excuse under the sun. If you need brake parts, run away from this company. Do NOT believe what they're ad's say, it all propaganda.