Turbos??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004 | 12:51 PM
Racer

Turbos??

I no everyone is goin ot say go search but i did and i dont understand anythign from thoose threads.. im a newb to cars..

wanna know if anyone has instaled a turbo,which ones fit, which is the best in youre opinion and were can you get the one you have bought....
Old 03-08-2004 | 12:56 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

no one has installed one yet, no one makes one yet!

you will have to go all custom. good luck.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:05 PM
Photography Nerd

Stokeless has done the most research into this topic and if anyone is going to get a turbo on their car it's going to be him. The biggest problem right now with a turbo kit is getting more fuel to the engine via the ECU. Once Hondata comes out with their programmable ECU you'll start seeing more kits on the market. I think Stokeless bought a VFACII which will trick the factory ECU to send more fuel to the engine when the boost picks up but he hasn't been able to install it yet.
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:30 PM
Racer

ahhhh and dan im sorry in lamest terms lol... ecu .. is the computer right??

wat does via stand for and watis vfacII thnx
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:39 PM
Racer

guys also for a automatic would a supercharger be better and easier to find for the tsx???

and wat exactly is the difference between them ....thnx
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:41 PM
Team Owner

That's laymens' terms and VFAC is Vehicle Fuel Air Controller which allows you to adjust the amount of fuel you squirt into the cylinder for a specified amount of air. Allows you to adjust the air/fuel ratio to be leaner or richer.
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by ravingstylez
guys also for a automatic would a supercharger be better and easier to find for the tsx???

and wat exactly is the difference between them ....thnx
The supercharger might be better in general for the TSX motor, based on the high compression. For a bolt-on application, the supercharger will provide increased power with the minimum of internal changes to the motor. For a turbo application, engine internals need to be beefed up to deal with the extra power.

A supercharger is essentially a belt driven air compressor that forces air into your intake manifold. There is some parasitic loss as a result of the attachment of the drive belt. A turbocharger utilizes the exhaust gases to turn a turbine which compresses the air in your intake manifold. Both are forms of forced induction (which means they force more air into your intake).

Check out the site http://www.howstuffworks.com sometime and read up. There is a wealth of information there for individuals such as yourself who may not be so mechanically inclined.
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:45 PM
Photography Nerd

I hate these acronyms too....

Yes the ECU is the main computer that controls pretty well everything related to the engine. Hondata is working on a modified version that will allow you to hook up a laptop to it and reprogram it. This will allow you to flow more fuel to the engine when boost is applied.

The VAFCII essentially does the same thing but it allows the stock ECU to be used. It basically overrides some inputs into the ECU and tells the ECU when to add more fuel. There are other benefits to the Hondata such as being able to adjust where the VTEC switchover point is. I don't think the VAFC can do this but I might be wrong.

More info on the Hondata can be found in this thread: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=5131

And more info on the VAFCII can be found in this thread: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=6569
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:13 PM
Stokeless

VAFC II is for basic tuning not indepth like an AEM or Kpro hondata...and yes i will turbo the TSX i already have a turbo for it hehe just waiting for a way to tune the freakin ECU ...ARG this wait is killin me...i have turbo waste gate bov, boost controller just sittin here waiting lol...gonna do a custom set up once i get the vafc ii workin.
Old 03-09-2004 | 08:36 AM
Photography Nerd

Should be good Stoke, can't wait to see it.....
Old 03-09-2004 | 11:25 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
VAFC II is for basic tuning not indepth like an AEM or Kpro hondata...and yes i will turbo the TSX i already have a turbo for it hehe just waiting for a way to tune the freakin ECU ...ARG this wait is killin me...i have turbo waste gate bov, boost controller just sittin here waiting lol...gonna do a custom set up once i get the vafc ii workin.
STOKE....OMFG!!!

dude, you are my f^cking hero man! once again!! lol

what kind of boost are you planning on running with the high compression?
Old 03-09-2004 | 12:02 PM
Pro

Actually Dan you can use the VAFC to control vtec, too. That's why there's a V in front of that VAFC (it goes sth like Vtec-Air Fuel Converter, according to Apex'i) and there's the AFC that controls only fuel.
Another way to put it is that VAFC is like a piggyback to our ECU system.
As for weather a turbo or superchager which one is better for our car i'd say that it depends on the owner. As for the compression ratio it has nothing to do with SC or TC since you're putting more ait into the engine. It only depends on how much boost are you running. I've seen a lot of turbo kits made for benz and bmw which runs only 6 psi BUT you don't require to swap in new internal parts at all.
The advantage that i can see by running super charger is you have LESS or NO lag at all. But super charger lacks performance in top end range since belt driven super charger cannot handle high RPMs.
What I want in my TSX though is a custom setup using Variable Nozzle Turbine turbo by Garrett, which cost freak'in expensive but it has very minimal lag.
Stoke I don't think that you really need to use VAFC in order to TC'ed your TSX. Why can't you just run external injectors along with standard injectors and also bypass the vacuum sensor in the manifold and try running about 5psi see if there's any trouble, also keep your eye on A/F ratio. I'm sure this can be done although it's going to be time consuming and look a bit ghetto under the hood.
Old 03-09-2004 | 12:15 PM
Photography Nerd

Thanks Maxboost. I just found their website: http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_vafc.asp
Old 03-09-2004 | 12:22 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

i plan to mount mine in the "not an ashtray" area........

where do you guys plan to put yours? stoke?
Old 03-09-2004 | 07:11 PM
Racer

i think tinky said that the VAFC will change the VTEC switchover point but cannot adjust the angle of the iVTEC cams to make them more aggresive correct me if i am wrong also 21 what are u planning on putting in the "not an ashtray" area sry i didnt understand?
Old 03-09-2004 | 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Maxboost

Stoke I don't think that you really need to use VAFC in order to TC'ed your TSX. Why can't you just run external injectors along with standard injectors and also bypass the vacuum sensor in the manifold and try running about 5psi see if there's any trouble, also keep your eye on A/F ratio. I'm sure this can be done although it's going to be time consuming and look a bit ghetto under the hood.
You simply can't do it because the ECU is still turning on the injector pulse width at the factory setting, which means it will continue to signal the injectors to fire the same duration, including any add-on injectors. If you don't have any means to control fuel at idle, the engine is not going to idle with the extra fuel. Most turbo kits use stock injectors for low boost application. If you want to go higher boost, larger injectors are required and that's when you really need a good fuel management device.
Old 03-09-2004 | 11:07 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JTso
You simply can't do it because the ECU is still turning on the injector pulse width at the factory setting, which means it will continue to signal the injectors to fire the same duration, including any add-on injectors. If you don't have any means to control fuel at idle, the engine is not going to idle with the extra fuel. Most turbo kits use stock injectors for low boost application. If you want to go higher boost, larger injectors are required and that's when you really need a good fuel management device.
I guess you miss understood what I'm trying to say JTso. All i'm saying is to control your additional injector by another device (bypass the ecu) such as Rebic 2 from greddy or AIC from HKS. Therefore ECU won't have any control to your additional injector.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:52 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

AZ,
i plan on mounting my vafc controller into the "Not an ashtray" area.
Old 03-10-2004 | 04:39 PM
Stokeless

with this high compression i hope to run 7.5 psi...hopefully....maybe only 6 but hey once i build the motor...12 psi
Old 03-13-2004 | 01:30 PM
Stokeless

btw i plan on puttin mine in the bin just above the not an ashtray thing....i wont to be able to use the cig lighter for my celly charger...the one inside the center arm rest i use to power my PS2 and TV's
Old 03-14-2004 | 04:42 PM
Racer

wow stokeless canu send pics of ure car interior and exterior to ravingstylez@aol.com please i wanna see this beast..lol thnx
Old 03-14-2004 | 07:45 PM
Racer

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/200...s/1117SCR4.htm

The Jackson Racing Supercharger looks like it could be very cool.
Old 03-14-2004 | 10:28 PM
Stokeless

yea ill send them later on tonight or tomorrow
Old 03-19-2004 | 11:35 PM
Racer

did u send em?
Old 03-20-2004 | 01:59 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
with this high compression i hope to run 7.5 psi...hopefully....maybe only 6 but hey once i build the motor...12 psi
with 6 pounds of boost how many ponies are you addin at the wheel?

HEY how much have you spend so far?
Old 03-21-2004 | 07:46 PM
Racer

stoke check ure pms