TSX Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
TSX Weight Reduction

After reading this excellent thread, I was wondering if you know of any TSX specific components that can be removed or replaced to save weight.

I'm specifically interested to know if there are any weights used to dampen vibration that can be removed. The thread above mentioned a weight mounted near the front bumper, and one in the trunk hatch that could be removed. Any such weights to toss off on our vehicles?

I won't get too crazy about weight reduction because I do value the luxury this car affords. It's already too noisy on the road, and I need my spare tire because I don't have tow insurance. (I also keep a tow strap and jumper cables on board).

Lighter weight wheels have recently piqued my interest. I used to only want stock rims since they are cheap, can be dinged without having to cry, and are much less likely to be stolen. However, if the cars handling is perceptibly improved with less un-sprung mass, then I might be interested.

Last edited by redpoint; 01-19-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
here's the link you meant to post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/m-010-putting-tl-diet-update-links-post-1-a-610974/

Edit* i see the link now. Change the color of the font, so that people know its a link.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that lightweight rims and tires are a completely worthwhile investment. I went from stock wheel+tire weight of 48 lbs to a wheel+tire weight of 37 lbs, and the change in acceleration AND deceleration were truly felt.

I also went with smaller diameter tires (225/45/17) on the theory that smaller diameter will rotate faster and switched to summer tires.

I think the importance of the wheels and tires is often undersold on these forums.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarbonGray Earl:
justnspace (01-19-2012), redpoint (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that lightweight rims and tires are a completely worthwhile investment. I went from stock wheel+tire weight of 48 lbs to a wheel+tire weight of 37 lbs, and the change in acceleration AND deceleration were truly felt.

I also went with smaller diameter tires (225/45/17) on the theory that smaller diameter will rotate faster and switched to summer tires.

I think the importance of the wheels and tires is often undersold on these forums.
Thanks for your input Earl. Shaving 11lbs per wheel must make a huge improvement. Does the weight saving help with driver comfort at all, such as handling potholes and bumps better? I'm not one to sprint around, so I'm not sure I would often see the acceleration / deceleration benefit.

Your smaller diameter tires acts like a gear ratio change, so it should accelerate more briskly. Perhaps that is part of your perceived acceleration improvement?

Tires are the only contact our cars have with the world, and as such, are extremely important.

If I go aftermarket wheels, I will most likely keep the stock size unless someone has a convincing reason to do otherwise.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM

On my TL, I mimicked inaccurate and upgraded to a wider tire for the contact path.

what you need is the diagram that shows the tsx break down between parts.
thats how inaccurate found those weights in the engine cradle and the trunk
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by redpoint
Thanks for your input Earl. Shaving 11lbs per wheel must make a huge improvement. Does the weight saving help with driver comfort at all, such as handling potholes and bumps better? I'm not one to sprint around, so I'm not sure I would often see the acceleration / deceleration benefit.

Your smaller diameter tires acts like a gear ratio change, so it should accelerate more briskly. Perhaps that is part of your perceived acceleration improvement?

Tires are the only contact our cars have with the world, and as such, are extremely important.

If I go aftermarket wheels, I will most likely keep the stock size unless someone has a convincing reason to do otherwise.
Before I went smaller diameter tires, I tried the stock diameter tires with lighter wheels. So I've had the benefit of the lightened wheels independent of change in diameter, and I felt a great improvement.

you definitely can stay stock size and still feel the improvement with just lightened 17" wheels. I'd say the smaller diameter tire is much, much less important a factor for acceleration. If anything, the contact patch of 225 vs. 215 benefited handling and grip more than it contributed to any feeling of improved acceleration.

As for driver comfort, I'd say that staying with the 215/17/50 tire helps the most as well as your tire choice. More sidewall to deal with things. In retrospect, the when I switched to the lighter wheel and tire, I think some of the larger bumps or potholes were transmitted more, most likely cuz the wheel/tire was lighter. That's my perception anyway.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Last night I went to town lightening my vehicle. Here is what I removed:

$5 worth of quarters
Flask full of gin and midori sour
Half a dozen pairs of shoes
Christmas gifts I haven't gotten around to giving out yet
Bead necklaces from a wedding
Smith and Wesson knife

OK, so I haven't modded my car yet, but once I find a diagram I will attack those vibration dampening weights and report my progress.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM

I'll aid in your search for the diagrams.
I'm busy at work right now, but would love to help you achieve your goal.
The following users liked this post:
redpoint (01-20-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Once again, it hasn't take long for me to find evdence that this forum is widely populated by guys with way too much time on their hands.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Instructor

I did a quick search for parts diagrams that might show weights on the car, but none showed up. Hopefully that means the TSX has no added weight that can be removed.

Anyone know how heavy the OEM wheels are? I'd like to know as a comparison with aftermarket parts. Might have to start searching CL soon for a used lightweight set.

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Once again, it hasn't take long for me to find evdence that this forum is widely populated by guys with way too much time on their hands.
Is that directed to me or to justn?

I merely took the time to remove the junk from my car and read a forum topic during lunch.

Before I get serious about weight reduction, I want to:

1. Install backup camera (I have parts, just not the time)
2. Install partial grill block
3. Replace brake and interior lights with LEDs
4. Maybe home build angel eye DRLs
5. Remove unnecessary weight (if this is easy the priority gets bumped up)