TSX nav unit firmware and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX nav unit firmware and modifications

Hello, I was wondering if someone knows if its possible to obtain a copy of the dvd unit firmware? not like changing a fiel on the dvd to change the boot image, but clone the whole DVD Unit into a more practical (and less prone to failure) flash drive or arduino pc able to run the firmware and a copy of the nav disc from an .iso file in a sd card or something.

My dvd unit does not work, even though it turns on , I dont hear a spinning disc which in turns gives me a black screen or blank screen if you like. Getting a new dvd unit seems expensive and for all I know it could last a couple months or omre before it breakdowns too.

Has someone tried to clone the firmware and change it ? or be able to use something on the screen besides the dvd unit in such a way that the buttons for ac, and clock still work?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:11 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
I've had my 06 TSX w/ Navi since new (a little under 150,000 miles now). I've haven't heard of anyone doing this type of conversion. Folks usually repair/replace the trunk mounted CD/DVD reader if that is the issue. Not sure if you have two problems or just one (dead DVD reader and dead Navi screen) . Not much you can do if the screen goes out other than replace. I don't think there is back up way to access the touch screen items if your screen is out? You have the option to press the "OK" disclaimer button on the touch screen or press the mouse/cursor knob below the screen to move past the disclaimer screen. If you don't press anything, the screen goes blank/black. I would try pressing the mouse/cursor button and A/C or audio button to see if you can still see the A/C and audio options on the touch screen.

There should be enough 06-08 TSXs out there for spare parts for the Navi unit. I got an eBay used TSX 07 power steering pump for $101 compared to the dealership price of $700.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've had my 06 TSX w/ Navi since new (a little under 150,000 miles now). I've haven't heard of anyone doing this type of conversion. Folks usually repair/replace the trunk mounted CD/DVD reader if that is the issue. Not sure if you have two problems or just one (dead DVD reader and dead Navi screen) . Not much you can do if the screen goes out other than replace. I don't think there is back up way to access the touch screen items if your screen is out? You have the option to press the "OK" disclaimer button on the touch screen or press the mouse/cursor knob below the screen to move past the disclaimer screen. If you don't press anything, the screen goes blank/black. I would try pressing the mouse/cursor button and A/C or audio button to see if you can still see the A/C and audio options on the touch screen.

There should be enough 06-08 TSXs out there for spare parts for the Navi unit. I got an eBay used TSX 07 power steering pump for $101 compared to the dealership price of $700.
Hello, it is the dvd unit. The screen turns on but is just blank. The car turns on but the screen just lights up (backlight ) and remains blank. Since it didnt work anymore I just removed the dvd unit from the trunk and the screen does the same thing anyway, just blank, evne with the dvd unit connected nothing works, no sound no nothing touching the screen or anything. Only the buttons for ac and stuff give a feedback like changing temperature and turning on the ac (the temperature cna be seen on the small screen with the clock ).

I wanted to repair the dvd reader but its almost 300$ with alpine, or buy an used one from ebay for little over 200$. Which for me its kind of a lot of money. That is why I wanted to know if someone out of plain curiosity went around copying the firmware of the dvd reader and gps dvd to another hardware to use with the car.