Thinking about doing the oil catch can mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Thinking about doing the oil catch can mod

I was debating whether or not I should do the oil catch can mod this week. For those of you who could enlighten me, especially JTso I had a quick question.

This is the original setup that is used for catching the most oil before it reaches your intake manifold correct? I was looking at a secondary oil catch can I saw from RacinghartACURA.

From what I figured (correct me if I'm wrong) the blow by gasses will go through this route and into the intake (thus making the TB dirty) under three situations:

1. The first vent is blocked causing the gasses to go by the next best route
2. You are running boost
3. You are running WOT

I also noticed that the Carbing oil catch can racinghartACURA used doesn't say anything about a filter application. So would the best setup be to use duplicate oil catch cans for both applications (Maybe route both pipes to a single catch can)?

Would there be any negative/positive results from running both setups? Aside from having two catch cans, if I am running a NA setup, but do hit WOT every so often during the day would it be worthwhile to install that setup that catches oil prior to entry via the intake?

Last but not east can I get the diameter for the hose needed to fit to the Injen intake and the tube from the top of the engine?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The setup in the first pic will catch most of the oil going into the intake manifold under normal condition. Your assessment is also correct for the 3 listed conditions. However, there isn't really a need for a secondary setup unless the oil becomes a problem. I also do a lot of WOT runs but have not experienced oil in the TB yet. I would just monitor the line, intake pipe and TB throttle plate and reevaluate the need for a secondary setup. Sorry, not sure what hose dia is for the Injen. I have the K&N.

Btw, another option is to run the setup in open mode by replacing the PCV valve with a fitting and route the hose to the open catch can. Then route the hose from the valve cover to the same can like below. There won't be much oil going into the can. It's mainly for relieving crankcase pressure as it's venting all the time. The engine will also smell like a race car - stinky.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by JTso
The setup in the first pic will catch most of the oil going into the intake manifold under normal condition. Your assessment is also correct for the 3 listed conditions. However, there isn't really a need for a secondary setup unless the oil becomes a problem. I also do a lot of WOT runs but have not experienced oil in the TB yet. I would just monitor the line, intake pipe and TB throttle plate and reevaluate the need for a secondary setup. Sorry, not sure what hose dia is for the Injen. I have the K&N.

Btw, another option is to run the setup in open mode by replacing the PCV valve with a fitting and route the hose to the open catch can. Then route the hose from the valve cover to the same can like below. There won't be much oil going into the can. It's mainly for relieving crankcase pressure as it's venting all the time. The engine will also smell like a race car - stinky.

So this would be the setup you are referring to?

Would there be any negative results from blocking off the PCV valve on the intake manifold?

This would seem to be a fun little project to work on... so hopefully I'm thinking in the right direction with this one.

I was planning on getting a aluminum oilcatch can from eBay like this one

And fitting a filter system you used inside of it

Also with this I will make another opening to release the pressure and mount a small air filter

on that as well. Hopefully this can prove to be a fun weekend project.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Not blocking the PCV port. You would replace it with a fitting. You can see better from a different angle. Btw, don't go crazy with all that stuffs. Try to keep it simple.

You can try use something like this for an open system...

Old 04-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I'm sorry for being a noob about this...

But what kind of fitting would I be replacing it with? ie. where would I buy it and what application would it have?

Is the PCV valve the part on the center of the intake manifold witht he tube connecting off it?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes, the tube connects to the PCV valve on top of the alternator. Most older PCV valves are push-in type. This one threads on like a fitting. Just take out the PCV valve and go to your local auto parts store to match a fitting.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Ah, so when I say block and you say fitting you just mean block it with a threaded fitting?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Haha... when I see the term "block", I associate it as not functioning, or nothing is going through. What I mean is to take out the PCV valve and install a fitting as replacement.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Do you have an example of a fitting that I might use to replace it?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Senior Moderator

I'll try to find a pic tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Haha... when I see the term "block", I associate it as not functioning, or nothing is going through. What I mean is to take out the PCV valve and install a fitting as replacement.
Hmm well from the picture I'm not talking about the part on the alternator. I see how that one needs a threaded fitment to connect a hose from that to the oil catch can. However what do I do with the part that comes out of the manifold and goes into the PCV on the alternator?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

You would simply remove the hose and cap the nipple (red circle in your pic) with a rubber plug like below (right side). The plug prevents vacuum leak.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Ah I see, so cap the nipple (I still need to cap my TB) and just use the adaptor along with another tube to bring to the catch can.

Thanks for clarifying and helping out with this. Much appreciated
Old 04-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Master Graphic Artist

^ given the fact that the tubing is flexible.. I see that you used that pic from your TB bypass
Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I might pick this one up, though I need to double check on the fitment of the tubing. Also I need to find a location to mount this sucker.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 AM
TSX

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony

I might pick this one up, though I need to double check on the fitment of the tubing. Also I need to find a location to mount this sucker.
Let me know if you get in contact with Aliens...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
What is the purpose of a oil catch can?

Any pros or cons
Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't running the PCV system in open loop throw a CEL? I've wanted to do this for a while but thought it'd cause problems with the emissions controls.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Master Graphic Artist

^ I'd assume that since it's not legal to have it on this kind of setup that it'll throw the CEL

Damn, I forgot about that. Is there any way to advert the CEL in a open system?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by rmpage
Won't running the PCV system in open loop throw a CEL? I've wanted to do this for a while but thought it'd cause problems with the emissions controls.
JTso just confirmed that the PCV system doesn't have any connection to the ECU so there should be no CEL.

I've actually driven for a while with the connection broken from my intake and nothing really came up.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Just remember the oil can get dirtier by running an open setup. You should see the oil collected in the catch can. Personally, I would stick with a closed setup.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
I have to get pictures up but many said the cusco catch can would not be functional and before installing it in my car I poured out a bunch of oil from when it was in TSX.Fury's car. I am not sure yet how long it was in his car and not sure an exact measurement on the amount of oil but I will post a picture of it poured into a bottle.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I have to get pictures up but many said the cusco catch can would not be functional and before installing it in my car I poured out a bunch of oil from when it was in TSX.Fury's car. I am not sure yet how long it was in his car and not sure an exact measurement on the amount of oil but I will post a picture of it poured into a bottle.
Hmm so the Cusco can did provide some function? Let's see the pics man
Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Just remember the oil can get dirtier by running an open setup. You should see the oil collected in the catch can. Personally, I would stick with a closed setup.
I think for simplicity and cost I'll stick with a closed system for now. However I would like to know what you mean by the oil getting dirtier? The oil that collects in the open system would merely collect and air does not reenter into the PCV system (does it?)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I think for simplicity and cost I'll stick with a closed system for now. However I would like to know what you mean by the oil getting dirtier? The oil that collects in the open system would merely collect and air does not reenter into the PCV system (does it?)
The open system won't collect much oil as it's merely used for relieving crankcase pressure. There is no vacuum to suck the blowby gases unless you install a vacuum pump. Here's an analogy of the PCV closed system... picture you're cooking up a storm in the kitchen (simulating blowby gases during the normal engine operating process). Turning on the exhaust fan would suck the smoke out of the kitchen keeping the place clean (simulating the PCV valve with aid of vacuum from the intake manifold sucking blowby gases out). However, if the exhaust fan doesn't work and you simply opening a window to vent (simulating an open system without the PCV valve and vacuum), it still works to relieve some smoke but not very effective. But it does vent all the time. Btw, the catch can would be the little oil container in the back of the exhaust fan.

The PCV system also removes certain amount of condensation from the crankcase from a cold engine. Otherwise, the engine oil in the crankcase could be contaminated. It depends on the condition of the engine. The extra rich fuel mixture during warm up can sip through worn piston rings or valve guides which further contaminates the oil, the reasons for dirtier oil. It's not an issue with race cars running an open setup as they have different maintenance schedule. They most likely have a vacuum pump as well.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM

I am not sure how long fury had the catch can installed on his car but here is a picture of the oil I poured out of it and into the bottom of a 20z soda bottle.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Master Graphic Artist

The open system won't collect much oil as it's merely used for relieving crankcase pressure. There is no vacuum to suck the blowby gases unless you install a vacuum pump. Here's an analogy of the PCV closed system... picture you're cooking up a storm in the kitchen (simulating blowby gases during the normal engine operating process). Turning on the exhaust fan would suck the smoke out of the kitchen keeping the place clean (simulating the PCV valve with aid of vacuum from the intake manifold sucking blowby gases out). However, if the exhaust fan doesn't work and you simply opening a window to vent (simulating an open system without the PCV valve and vacuum), it still works to relieve some smoke but not very effective. But it does vent all the time. Btw, the catch can would be the little oil container in the back of the exhaust fan.

The PCV system also removes certain amount of condensation from the crankcase from a cold engine. Otherwise, the engine oil in the crankcase could be contaminated. It depends on the condition of the engine. The extra rich fuel mixture during warm up can sip through worn piston rings or valve guides which further contaminates the oil, the reasons for dirtier oil. It's not an issue with race cars running an open setup as they have different maintenance schedule. They most likely have a vacuum pump as well.
Thanks for that info! It's all making more sense to me why that system was built in the first place.

I just thought why not kill two birds with one stone by building an open system. Maybe I'll installed two closed systems instead? Either way I think it'll be a nice way to cheaply mod my car while dressing my engine bay a bit more.

Thanks again, you've been a huge help in my learning process
Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I am not sure how long fury had the catch can installed on his car but here is a picture of the oil I poured out of it and into the bottom of a 20z soda bottle.

This oil was from about 1000 miles of driving.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:37 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Can one of you explain the reason of addng a oil catch can? is there pros or cons to it?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
Can one of you explain the reason of addng a oil catch can? is there pros or cons to it?
It's for collecting the oil that would normally gets routed to the combustion chamber. It keeps the combustion chamber cleaner and less carbon buildup. No cons except you have to remember to empty the can once in a while.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 AM

JTso so do you think that is a decent amount of oil for 1000miles considering the cusco can doesnt have a filter in it. I mean I would think its obviously better than nothing but what are your thoughts on it.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

It's hard to tell how much oil is in that pic but it's definitely better than nothing. One way to test the effectiveness is to remove the EGR plate on top of the intake manifold and see how much oil has passed through the catch can.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM

I am kinda scared how dirty my intake manifold is since I have been driving now for 30k without an oil catch.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Master Graphic Artist

^ Same I've been driving 25k miles without one.

I'm sure you can drive the life of your car without one, why else would Honda not put a catch can there?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI Colts, that looks 'normal'-ish to me. I'm constantly surprised how much oil winds up in my catch jar. I've emptied it twice in 3k driving miles I've had it on there, both times it was more than half full. I have the one that you probably see the most on this board, aka jtso v1. It was $6 at Home Depot, made by Husky, and can be found in the pneumatic tools section. If possible, consider strapping one inside that Cusco can. I find myself checking oil level a bit more often as a result too.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Reach
FYI Colts, that looks 'normal'-ish to me. I'm constantly surprised how much oil winds up in my catch jar. I've emptied it twice in 3k driving miles I've had it on there, both times it was more than half full. I have the one that you probably see the most on this board, aka jtso v1. It was $6 at Home Depot, made by Husky, and can be found in the pneumatic tools section. If possible, consider strapping one inside that Cusco can. I find myself checking oil level a bit more often as a result too.
cusco can is one piece so no do on installing it inside however I have thought about installing it in a hidden location and running it inline before it gets to the cusco one. however sicne the cusco one appears to work somewhat I may just go with it.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Same I've been driving 25k miles without one.

I'm sure you can drive the life of your car without one, why else would Honda not put a catch can there?
Honda did install it for certain engines but not on the TSX. Item # 1 breather chamber sits between the block and the PCV valve #3. It helps a little and the oil drains back to the crankcase.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Honda did install it for certain engines but not on the TSX. Item # 1 breather chamber sits between the block and the PCV valve #3. It helps a little and the oil drains back to the crankcase.

So for the Honda installed catch cans were they just emptied out every time the car was maintained by honda? It'll suck if someone just forgot about it and the car was sucking in dirty oils.

It seems like the cusco can works even though no filter is present. JTso, how often do you have to change the filter?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:59 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Question
So for the Honda installed catch cans were they just emptied out every time the car was maintained by honda? It'll suck if someone just forgot about it and the car was sucking in dirty oils.

It seems like the cusco can works even though no filter is present. JTso, how often do you have to change the filter?

Answer
It helps a little and the oil drains back to the crankcase.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Master Graphic Artist

^ I'm confused at your answer. What helps a little, and where is the oil draining from?

Quick Reply: Thinking about doing the oil catch can mod