Shifter cable bushing installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Talking Shifter cable bushing installed

I was looking for things to mod and decided to try these shifter cable bushings to see it would help make shifting more precise. Btw, these bushings are meant for the RSX or Civic but they seem to work on the TSX. I think these bushings would work well if the stock bushings are worn out or you simply want to have a more positive shift. I don't seem to notice any additional noise or vibration by installing these bushings. However, it does seem easier shifting from 5th to 6th without fetching for the correct gear position. Here are some pics...

Stock shifter cable bushings

Removing stock bushing I find it easier to pry out than to push out.

New bushing installed Once the stock bushing is out, the new bushing just fits inside the cable loop and secured by a C-clip.

Reinstall assembly The enclosed instructions said not to use any existing washers but I found slacks on top if you don't for this larger bushing. However, there's no room to reuse the washers on the smaller shifter cable. I also used a new cotter pin instead of the included clip. The clip comes off too easily. Note the wear mark on the bottom plate where the stock bushing sits on. I cleaned the area and applied a little teflon grease prior to reinstalling the assembly.

Second shfter cable bushing Just repeat the same steps for remove and reinstall.

New bushings installed

Bushing comparison

Lube This lube is suppose to stay on and won't wash off.

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Nice. I know someone on here was supposed to do it. Thanks for the write-up.

Any links to where you purchased?
Old 12-06-2005 | 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I got it from speed-source for $28 shipped. http://www.speed-source.net/products/shifter_cable.htm
Old 12-06-2005 | 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

So no other noticable change except for a 5th to 6th gear change?
Old 12-06-2005 | 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by moda_way
So no other noticable change except for a 5th to 6th gear change?
I thought the 6MT is already pretty good with the short shifter and shifter housing bushings, so no huge noticeable difference in shifting performance. Then again, I have yet tried high rpm shifting with these new bushings, so we'll see.
Old 12-06-2005 | 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
I thought the 6MT is already pretty good with the short shifter and shifter housing bushings, so no huge noticeable difference in shifting performance. Then again, I have yet tried high rpm shifting with these new bushings, so we'll see.
Definitely. I have the Comptech Short-shifter and the cable system is definitely precise. Just wish the bushings for the shifter housing were still around somewhere.
Old 12-06-2005 | 01:20 PM
Racer

I thought the TSX shared the same precise family of shifters from Honda (S2000) that Road & Track affectinately calls "The Best Shifter on the Planet".

I did notice in the three 6-spd test drives I've taken that I was hesitant on the 5th-to-6th shift.
Old 12-06-2005 | 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Zoopa
I thought the TSX shared the same precise family of shifters from Honda (S2000) that Road & Track affectinately calls "The Best Shifter on the Planet".

I did notice in the three 6-spd test drives I've taken that I was hesitant on the 5th-to-6th shift.
If you mean the fact that they use cables to shift rather than metal linkage, then yes, I believe so. But the S2000's tranny and the TSX/RSX trannys are completely different.
Old 12-06-2005 | 03:03 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Definitely. I have the Comptech Short-shifter and the cable system is definitely precise. Just wish the bushings for the shifter housing were still around somewhere.
Same here, I wish I could still get the shifter housing bushings. That plus this mod seem like good, if marginal, improvements to an already-first rate shift linkage.
Old 12-06-2005 | 04:00 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I was looking for things to mod
Sounds like you're getting stir-crazy
Old 12-06-2005 | 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

JTso, yes thank you for information and will work on it this week. Great job!
Old 12-06-2005 | 06:10 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by xizor
Was thinking the same thing. The weather hasn't been the best up here for the past month or so and Johnny's going kookoo....

BTW-:dyno:
Old 12-06-2005 | 06:13 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I ordered a set. I need something to mod and I'm too lazy to build the oil-catch can when it's zero out. This looks simple and I can pretend it adds 5 hp.
Old 12-06-2005 | 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

There are a few things I might do to kill time during the cold season. One project is to make a test pipe and another project is to make a rear upper strut bar utilizing the existing rear cross member spans across the rear shock towers.
Old 12-06-2005 | 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Here you go.......

http://www.freshbacon.com/139/rsx.htm
Old 12-06-2005 | 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks JTso. I have been searching for the part and couldn't find it. I already installed short shifter on my TSX. I will order this part tonight. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005 | 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

And again, you ROCK!!!!

Just ordered a set.
Old 12-07-2005 | 12:37 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

And again, you ROCK!!!!

Just ordered a set.
JTso, you are the man! I just ordered a set -- perfect mods for -8F weather. I also want to install a short-shifter. Do you guys recommend Comptech or Neuspeed, or are they a horse apiece?
Old 12-07-2005 | 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
JTso, you are the man! I just ordered a set -- perfect mods for -8F weather. I also want to install a short-shifter. Do you guys recommend Comptech or Neuspeed, or are they a horse apiece?
Either one is fine actually; they are literally the same. I like the Comptech just because it is Comptech (they include green loctite whereas Neuspeed doesn't). In either case, follow the Neuspeed instructions.
Old 12-07-2005 | 04:45 PM
Got Milk???

Jtso, where did you get the Teflon grease? I went to Pepboys the other day, one of the tech staff told me they discontinued Silicon Grease and replaced everything with Lithium Grease... What are the main differences between these 3 types of grease and which is better?

KC
Old 12-07-2005 | 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, I'm curious too.. I've always hear Lithium grease... period!
Old 12-07-2005 | 08:02 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Either one is fine actually; they are literally the same. I like the Comptech just because it is Comptech (they include green loctite whereas Neuspeed doesn't). In either case, follow the Neuspeed instructions.
Thanks, moda. I got the Comptech, looking forward to some cold-weather mods. Man, is it cold here!
Old 12-07-2005 | 08:07 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by kaikai114
Jtso, where did you get the Teflon grease? I went to Pepboys the other day, one of the tech staff told me they discontinued Silicon Grease and replaced everything with Lithium Grease... What are the main differences between these 3 types of grease and which is better?

KC
Archer is a Radio Shack brand, I think you can get that Teflon (or PTFE) Lube Gel at any Radio Shack. I think it's stickier/more viscous than lithium grease -- stays where you put it.
Old 12-07-2005 | 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kaikai114

KC
I got it from Radio Shack long time ago. Here is the link. The packaging seems different now and I'm not sure if they are being made the same. I think any lubricant should be fine. If you already have some lithium grease, then just use those.

Here is the description on the back of the one I have...

* General Household Lubricant
* Superior adhesion: Stays where you put it
* Non-toxic and Non-corrosive
* won't wash off, disperse, break down or turn rancid
* Does not attract dust or other contaminants
* Impervious to salt and fresh water
* All temperature use -65 to +650 F
Old 12-08-2005 | 04:14 AM
mmmmmm....

Hey Peter_bigblock, Are you still selling your shift knob?? I sent you many PM but no respond yet? let me know if you are!!
Old 12-08-2005 | 11:52 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Hey Peter_bigblock, Are you still selling your shift knob?? I sent you many PM but no respond yet? let me know if you are!!
I am, just got your PM. I'll check it out and PM you!
Old 12-28-2005 | 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I was looking for things to mod and decided to try these shifter cable bushings to see it would help make shifting more precise. Btw, these bushings are meant for the RSX or Civic but they seem to work on the TSX. I think these bushings would work well if the stock bushings are worn out or you simply want to have a more positive shift. I don't seem to notice any additional noise or vibration by installing these bushings. However, it does seem easier shifting from 5th to 6th without fetching for the correct gear position. Here are some pics...

Just put my bushings in and noticed that you too couldn't use the washer on the upper linkage.

Install went relatively well. No issues. Other than prying out the OEM bushings being a PITA, I like it.

Can say for sure, but the shifting seems a little more solid.

I now have the bushings to install on the base of the shifter housing inside the car.
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:14 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Just put my bushings in and noticed that you too couldn't use the washer on the upper linkage.

Install went relatively well. No issues. Other than prying out the OEM bushings being a PITA, I like it.

Can say for sure, but the shifting seems a little more solid.

I now have the bushings to install on the base of the shifter housing inside the car.
I hated prying out the OEM bushings. I did this after installing the short shifter and shifter-housing bushings, so the effect was hard to discern. The shifter housing base bushings really give the shifter a solid feel -- I didn't think they'd make nearly as much of a difference as they do. Loved that mod immediately. The short shifter took a few days to get used to, now I can't imagine not having it.
Old 12-29-2005 | 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey guy, I finally installed on PreciseShift Shifter Bushing Kit for my Tsx yesterday and felt different from stock shifter. It felt great and very comfortable to throw shifter thru 1 to 6 and R. I love it! I still need to install shifter cable bushing under intake, maybe this week. Thanks JTso for the parts for shifter that helped us a lot.
Old 01-12-2006 | 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GSGOMEZ
Hey guy, I finally installed on PreciseShift Shifter Bushing Kit for my Tsx yesterday and felt different from stock shifter. It felt great and very comfortable to throw shifter thru 1 to 6 and R. I love it! I still need to install shifter cable bushing under intake, maybe this week. Thanks JTso for the parts for shifter that helped us a lot.

I've got mine in as well. I have to say, definitely feel the improvement. For those with the shift cable bushings, have you found it easier to get R. I haven't had to retry since I've had mine in. Just seems more solid.
Old 01-12-2006 | 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
The short shifter took a few days to get used to, now I can't imagine not having it.

I completely agree.
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:23 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I've got mine in as well. I have to say, definitely feel the improvement. For those with the shift cable bushings, have you found it easier to get R. I haven't had to retry since I've had mine in. Just seems more solid.
I never had trouble with R, but glad to hear it solved that for you. I drove my dad's RSX 5MT the other day (bone stock), and I just couldn't believe how rubbery and long the throws felt. And that's another great Honda tranny (although it was never as smooth as my TSX). I'm so used to the short, crisp shifts in my TSX, shifting his car felt like shifting a truck.

I don't mean to exagerate, but it was just really different. I really like the SS and the solid bushings all around.
Old 03-05-2006 | 05:28 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I did mine today, and I can't really say I like them so far. It might be that I've had a neuspeed SS and the metal shifter housing bushings for almost 2 years that I'm so used to how it feels, but the shifter cable bushings require more force to put in gear and make it grind a little more.

those were my same impressions of my SS which I hated at first but now I wouldn't live w/o it, so I'm giving this a wait and see period, and if I still don't like it, I'll put back in the OEMs. Unfortunately I massacred my stock ones getting them out, so it'd have to be a new set.
Old 03-05-2006 | 05:39 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

doh, looking at sunnyside acura it looks like your can't buy the bushings apart from the shifter, only the washers, i might be stuck with these metal bushings then
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I did mine today, and I can't really say I like them so far. It might be that I've had a neuspeed SS and the metal shifter housing bushings for almost 2 years that I'm so used to how it feels, but the shifter cable bushings require more force to put in gear and make it grind a little more.

those were my same impressions of my SS which I hated at first but now I wouldn't live w/o it, so I'm giving this a wait and see period, and if I still don't like it, I'll put back in the OEMs. Unfortunately I massacred my stock ones getting them out, so it'd have to be a new set.
I have the exact setup as yours (Neuspeed SS and shifter housing bushings) and now the shifter cable bushings. Did you leave the OEM washer off the smaller metal bushing?
Old 03-05-2006 | 07:41 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I have the exact setup as yours (Neuspeed SS and shifter housing bushings) and now the shifter cable bushings. Did you leave the OEM washer off the smaller metal bushing?
yeah, it wouldn't fit, there was some slack to do it, but I couldn't do anything about it at the moment. and their replacement pins do stink, I'm going to pickup 2 of the oem cotter pins to use
Old 03-05-2006 | 08:25 PM
Drifting

Looks like a nice mod. That tube of lubrication reminds me of hair gel or lotion or something like that lol.
Old 10-21-2006 | 08:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

There are a few things I might do to kill time during the cold season. One project is to make a test pipe and another project is to make a rear upper strut bar utilizing the existing rear cross member spans across the rear shock towers.
Hey Johnny, did you ever get around to working on a rear upper strut tie bar
Old 10-21-2006 | 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

^^
Not yet, but I have an idea in mind which involves welding the seams on the rear cross member and adding a brace.
Old 10-27-2006 | 08:13 AM
boost owns

JTso, I have for you questions two:

1) Do the bushings come with instructions for disassembling/removing the intake to get to them? Failing that is there a place online I can get this information?

2)Where can I get two new OEM cotter pins since the included ones reputedly suck?

Crap, that turned out to be three questions after all!

Quick Reply: Shifter cable bushing installed