Old 07-27-2005, 10:18 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1...
Old 07-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
rmpage, that's some serious setup you got there. Where do you fire the phasers?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
rmpage, that's some serious setup you got there. Where do you fire the phasers?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 AM
ABP 6MT

Valentine1 in the big L mode. About 7 yrs old, but no complaints. Haven't been using it much since mostly city driving.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeffb
Valentine1 in the big L mode. About 7 yrs old, but no complaints. Haven't been using it much since mostly city driving.

Definitely worth getting the Ka mode upgrade, as I found after getting nailed by it last year with a '96 model V1.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bill Hook
Definitely worth getting the Ka mode upgrade, as I found after getting nailed by it last year with a '96 model V1.
I think you now get the POP mode as part of the upgrade.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Instructor

I think you now get the POP mode as part of the upgrade.

You do and I did.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Just upgraded mine...

Yep, the V1 upgrade does include the Ka band upgrade. They just send you a new one in exchange for your older model. You also get new cords, adapters and mounts. I really like mine, it's considerably less noisy and only occasionally false alarms on Auto mode. You also get the newer slimmer and lighter packaging which is nice. The older V1's were pretty hefty.
The arrows ARE the most useful feature. What people dont realize is that the V1 actually has two radar antennas whereas all the other detectors only have one pointing forward and rely on reflections for rearward radar.

No radar detector is FoolProof but if you use it sensibly as you would any other tool it can work for you. I have owned one for over 10 years now and have not had a single speeding ticket, which is amazing ! My V1 has definately paid for itself.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:55 AM
ABP 6MT

Originally Posted by Bill Hook
Thanks, I do have Ka. I have V1 ver 1.8
After a weekend roadtrip I disabled X-band detection. Nobody uses X-band anymore and way too many false alerts.

My forward arrow's been out for years, not sure if that is work $230 for an upgrade though.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

If only the forward arrow is out on the main unit, then just buy the remote display unit for $39 and use the arrows on that instead. My main unit has no lights at all.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If only the forward arrow is out on the main unit, then just buy the remote display unit for $39 and use the arrows on that instead. My main unit has no lights at all.
I have a concealed display too. Works great.

I have version 1.7 guys. Is there any difference in the Ka band detection between versions 1.7 & 1.8?

When you guys were referring to the older models did you mean the models before 1.7?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

V1 in my Lancer Evolution. Hardwired, concealed (mounted INSIDE my 3rd brake light, concealed display setup on the dash).

Passport 8500 X50, blue display, for the TSX. Need to get the hardwire cord, cuz the spiral telephone power cord hangs over the navi screen.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:18 AM
9th Gear

The V1 rules. Yes, other detectors do well in tests... FINALLY! It took them many years to catch up with the benchmark that the V1 set over 10 years ago. But the V1 has an advantage that nobody else does - a rear facing radar antenna. That's why it has arrows that tell you if the radar was fired in front or behind you. Everyone without a V1 can claim that the extra information is useless, but once you've lived with the directional arrows for a little while, you'll never go back.

So Passport and Bel finally came out with something that works "as well" as a V1... big deal. Oh, and any top-of-the-line radar detector test that does not include the V1 is not a valid test.

Car and Driver is the ONLY source that I've seen in years that gives a well documented, fair test each time they repeat it. I believe this is the most recent one:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

IMO of course
Old 08-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 9900rpm
V1 in my Lancer Evolution. Hardwired, concealed (mounted INSIDE my 3rd brake light, concealed display setup on the dash).

Passport 8500 X50, blue display, for the TSX. Need to get the hardwire cord, cuz the spiral telephone power cord hangs over the navi screen.
Can you get some pics of the V1 installation in your Evo? I've been wanting to do a similar setup and it would be great to be able to see what it looks like installed.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs up Yer Right!

Originally Posted by toddstuh
Yep, the V1 upgrade does include the Ka band upgrade. They just send you a new one in exchange for your older model. You also get new cords, adapters and mounts. I really like mine, it's considerably less noisy and only occasionally false alarms on Auto mode. You also get the newer slimmer and lighter packaging which is nice. The older V1's were pretty hefty.
The arrows ARE the most useful feature. What people dont realize is that the V1 actually has two radar antennas whereas all the other detectors only have one pointing forward and rely on reflections for rearward radar.

No radar detector is FoolProof but if you use it sensibly as you would any other tool it can work for you. I have owned one for over 10 years now and have not had a single speeding ticket, which is amazing ! My V1 has definately paid for itself.
10+ years worth of V-1, countless $$ saved on tix and insurance premium hikes.

YES - it's worth more to you if you do a lot of freeway driving.
NO - nothing makes you bullet proof from instant on ticketing technology.
YES - the arrows are totally addictive.
NO - nothing to complain about. I don't recall what my one tech defect which showed up after several years of ownership, but I returned to Valentine in Cincinnati and they replaced or repaired (it's been years, I don't remember which) within a few days.
YES - after two radar/photo tix (shot from behind vehicle) I have invested in a can of Photo Blocker Spray, spritzed it on my rear plate today and will give it a few months and report in.

I have had series of vehicles hardwired to accomodate V-1 power somewhere near the rear view mirror: Infiniti J30, Audi TT, Mini Cooper, Acura TSX. NO PROBLEMS EVER! (OKAY - the BMW techs who serviced the Cooper were real whiney wusses about monkeying with original equipment & original config, so I figured it out myself, though I always prefer to have a pro do work on which my clumsiness might cause cosmetic damage)

Tap into accessory line and avoid accidentally draining battery by forgetting to switch off V-1, or just plan on leaving it on & it's part of the power up sequence (added to waiting on Navi disclaimer to run so I can press the "okay, I promise not to key in any destinations while rolling" button)

And finally, as reported by others, around-town falses can be DRAMATICALLY reduced with the logic options.

READ YOUR MANUAL!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro

V1 V1.7. Over ten years old, and still as good as anything else out there today. Wired to the autodim mirror.