Question about getting new ECU for the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about getting new ECU for the TSX

i havnt followed proformance mods much for the TSX however my ACURA service guy told me that the accord type R uses basically the same engine as the TSX and it puts out somthing like 240 HP he indicated that the ECU is the reason for the added ponies. does anyone have any information about the differences between the 2 cars? if this were the case couldnt we find a source that can supply us with an ECU from this EURO car?
seems like a simple solution to unlock the power we arent getting.
any thoughts?
Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are truely after performance from an ECU, then save the money and wait for the Hondata K-Pro programmable ECU. You'll get a lot more for about the same money.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered & Aproved

How much $$$, for the programable ECU? Im interested in putting a little steroinds on my TSX.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aquifue
How much $$$, for the programable ECU? Im interested in putting a little steroinds on my TSX.
It's not available yet so pricing hasn't been announced.

It should be similarly priced to the RSX: http://www.hondata.com/kprorelease.html
Old 09-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It's not available yet so pricing hasn't been announced.

It should be similarly priced to the RSX: http://www.hondata.com/kprorelease.html
does this ecu affect the engine longetivity?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by ennzzo
does this ecu affect the engine longetivity?
It all depends on how you tune it. If you have a shop that doesn't have a clue what they're doing then it's possible that they could tune your engine too lean. Then again, all the Hondata dealers are certified so I don't think you'll run into that problem.

There's a lot more info in this thread especially in the last few pages: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5131

Basically there will be two options:
Option 1 - Complete rework of your ECU to turn it into the reprogramable K-Pro
Option 2 - Have your ECU reflashed with a new Hondata program

Option 1 makes the most power and will give you the flexibility to optimize any mods you make. Option 2 is a one shot deal where you pick a program that should give you the most gains but there's no fine tuning to optimize it for your car.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It all depends on how you tune it. If you have a shop that doesn't have a clue what they're doing then it's possible that they could tune your engine too lean. Then again, all the Hondata dealers are certified so I don't think you'll run into that problem.

There's a lot more info in this thread especially in the last few pages: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5131

Basically there will be two options:
Option 1 - Complete rework of your ECU to turn it into the reprogramable K-Pro
Option 2 - Have your ECU reflashed with a new Hondata program

Option 1 makes the most power and will give you the flexibility to optimize any mods you make. Option 2 is a one shot deal where you pick a program that should give you the most gains but there's no fine tuning to optimize it for your car.

thanks!.... I noticed on one of your other posts that you have sri... how much louder is it versus stock? Did you notice a big power gain? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Photography Nerd

ennzzo, you've got PM....
Old 09-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Is there a current Accord Type-R, because otherwise me must have been referring to the Accord Euro-R (very different platform).

The Euro-R uses the K20A engine also used in the JDM Integra Type-R (DC5R), which is one level above our RSX Type-S. That engine puts out 220HP, above the RSX-S 200HP, through a different intake manifold, throttle body, exhaust manifold, camshaft and engine internals and has a higher redline.

In short, I don't see how the ECU from a different engine, with different redline etc. could be swapped into a TSX. I'm going to call that this is possible, or that the Euro-R makes its power through the ECU. RSX owners know the Type-R has a lot of better engine parts to make the power.