Octane Booster...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane Booster...

Has anyone here ever considered putting the "Octane Booster" that sell in in autopart stores in their tsx??? If i get "octane booster" and put some in next time i fill up with premium fuel, would i notice any increase in performance or drivability???
Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Banned

I put it in twice. I never notiched anything.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Octane is endothermic, it consumes energy.

It's purpose is to delay ignition in high compression engines
where the charge may cumbust from the pressure alone.

Only enough octane to prevent preignition is required, any
more is loosing energy.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXTuner

more is loosing energy.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Cruisin'

so what about filling up with regular gas and then using octane booster? how's that do?
Old 05-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xpolosp0rtx
so what about filling up with regular gas and then using octane booster? how's that do?

So what would be the point? You won't save any money.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXTuner

more is loosing energy.
Well... you could theretically add regular fuel into our engines. YOu probably wouldn't feel any preignition/knocking because there's a knock sensor on our engines and the ECU will retard the timing to prevent the knocks.

So... just stick with the premium fuel only.

As for the octane booster on regular fuel...
Regular is only $.20 more /gallon here.
So... for a fillup, you'll save under $4.00 by using regular.
You'd have to use a lot of octane boost to boost 19 gallons of fuel up two grades.
You'd probably end up using more $$ because octane boost isn't exactly cheap. Plus... even if you could get regular fuel at the same octane as premium, premium fuel is still probably better.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Your car runs at 91 octane, nothing less without risk of knocking. Anything more is just a waste of money since you aren't running anymore pressure in your cylinder than stock.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

just buy a type-r sticker. that will give you serious gains in performance.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Triz08
Has anyone here ever considered putting the "Octane Booster" that sell in in autopart stores in their tsx??? If i get "octane booster" and put some in next time i fill up with premium fuel, would i notice any increase in performance or drivability???

Octane boosters are made partially of manganese octane inhancers called "MMT" which are not to be used on HONDA/ACURA engines as the effects are harmful to the engine components!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 PM
2004 NBP/ebony AT

theres an article about this in the junes super street, someone has this stuff called 104 something and they sawid it was best becuase they didnt use MMT
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Racer

well what brought this thread to mine was a friend of mine picked up some NOS octane booster and put it in his modded 2000 maxima. I couldnt really tell whether any performance difference because i dont know his car that well. But we did a before and after test and the only thing i noticed was that it felt was the car felt smoother. It this stuff really hurts my engine, i wont even consider using anymore.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Git er Done!!

There is a big article in the latest issue of Sport Compact Car about Octane boosters and whether or not they really work.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Stokeless

Originally Posted by SPARKIE
Octane boosters are made partially of manganese octane inhancers called "MMT" which are not to be used on HONDA/ACURA engines as the effects are harmful to the engine components!
Ok what makes honda/acura engines any different than others when it comes to fuel? Explain where you got this info or I'm callin It may not do any good but it wouldn't harm the engine. Please show your source for this info.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
Ok what makes honda/acura engines any different than others when it comes to fuel? Explain where you got this info or I'm callin It may not do any good but it wouldn't harm the engine. Please show your source for this info.

He's 100% right. Let me find our past discussion on this.

MMT by the way is in every gas sold in Canada excet Sunoco 94 and Pioneer 93.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Looks like we stopped using in Canada afterall.

MMT On Its Way Out in Canada
Sierra Club of Canada December 16th, 2004 (Ottawa) The controversial fuel additive, MMT, may finally be disappearing from Canadian gas. A recent survey by Sierra Club of Canada revealed that virtually every major refiner of gasoline in Canada has started phasing out MMT, a manganese based replacement for lead. Like lead, manganese is neuro-toxic. MMT is also a threat to air quality due to its propensity to gum up catalytic converters in automobiles. MMT results in more air pollution. Its health and environmental threats led the Government to ban it in the late 1990s. However, various trade challenges, including Chapter 11 of NAFTA, resulted in the repeal of the legislation. Nevertheless, pressure from the car makers, environmentalists and health protection groups has not disappeared. According to the Sierra Club of Canada, so far Shell Canada, Irving, Imperial, PetroCanada, Suncor, and Ultramar have stopped using MMT. Only Co-Op and Husky are still adding the controversial neuro-toxic anti-knock agent to gas. "We congratulate the major refineries of Canada for taking action in the public interest by voluntarily ending the use of this neuro-toxic additive," said Elizabeth May, Executive Director of SCC, "And we call on Husky and Co-op to stop buying and using this dangerous substance." One of the world's leading experts on the neurological effects of manganese, Dr. Donna Mergler of UQAM commented, " A voluntary phase-out of MMT in Canada is very good news. As a consequence, we should see reductions in environmental exposure to manganese. Although manganese is an essential element that we get through food, in higher quantities, it can be toxic. When it is inhaled, it is taken up quickly into the blood and the brain. Our studies have shown that higher blood manganese can lead to slowing of motor functions, particularly among the elderly. In our aging society, this can have important consequences for care and autonomy. I hope that we will continue monitoring for manganese in our environment and carry out studies that will inform us about its effects, particularly in susceptible populations, such as children and the elderly. In this way, we will be able to act preventively if the issue arises again." The situation in the US mirrors that now unfolding in Canada. Although MMT was forced to be registered by court action taken by the manufacturer, Ethyl Corporation of Richmond, Virginia, no refinery in the US will use it due to consumer and environmental group rejection of the additive. - 30 - Contact: Elizabeth May, Executive Director, Sierra Club of Canada, 613-241-4611 Dr. Donna Mergler, University of Québec at Montreal, 514-270-1915
More

A few years ago, Honda found that oxygen sensor failures were considerably higher in Canada than in the U.S. The automaker also found that manganese-coated sensors signal the Electronic Control Module (ECM) to enrich the air/fuel mixture, which increases hydrocarbon and carbon mon-oxide emissions.

Compounding the situation is the fact manganese also coats the noble metals used in the catalytic converter, reducing its efficiency. Ford, Toyota and Chrysler all confirm Honda's findings.

Indeed, Ford estimated that for every 80,000 kilometres travelled, one-quarter pound of manganese was deposited in the converter. These deposits are permanent and cannot be reversed by using a fuel that does not contain MMT.

General Motors chipped in, saying the spark plugs in some of its engines have a failure rate 50 times greater in Canada than in the northeastern U.S. Surprise, surprise, the only difference in operating conditions between here and there is the use of MMT.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Stokeless

Ok but do all octane boosters have that in them??? I am in the US so does this apply to me? I have never heard this before.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl (MMT) is common to a lot of gasoline brands in Canada but not as common in the US. I only use Sunoco 94 because it doesn't contain MMT, otherwise I'd just use any other 91 gas.

Originally Posted by CanadianDriver.com
In the US, MMT was banned until 1995 when a court forced the Environmental Protection Agency to approve it for sale. Even then, the majority of fuel companies are still not using it and some states still ban its use! Canada also tried to restrict MMT use. In 1997, the importation of MMT into any province was made illegal. Because MMT is not manufactured in Canada, this effectively banned its use. However, using the Free Trade Agreement, Ethyl Corporation fought this legislation and in 1998, the Canadian Government allowed it back into our fuel.

<snip>

As an element, Manganese is not biodegradeable, so it will accumulate in the soil and air over time. Health advocates note that high doses of airborne manganese can impair both speech and movement. The symptoms are similar to Parkinson's Disease. Finally, the auto industry blames MMT for degrading emissions components on vehicles and decreasing fuel economy.

<snip>

However, let's get back to the latest research by the automotive industry and how it affects our vehicles. This study, which is the largest and most comprehensive MMT test program ever conducted, showed that 7 out of 8 low emission passenger cars failed emissions tests when using fuel with MMT over time. Most of the failures were because of excessive HC (hydrocarbon) emissions. When compared to vehicles fuelled without MMT additive, vehicles with MMT had 31% more HC emissions when tested after driving 160,000 km. That is not all.

Oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions were 24% higher. Carbon Monoxide (CO) emissions were 14% higher, and Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions were 2% higher. Even if one was not concerned about the environmental impact, you should be aware of the cost to vehicle owners in decreased fuel economy and increased maintenance.

On the road, drivers of high mileage vehicles would expect 2% lower fuel economy. Emission components such as oxygen sensors, and catalytic converters become coated with MMT, reducing their efficiency. Spark plugs need to be changed more frequently.

<snip>

The only positives of MMT are increased fuel octane and low cost. There are alternatives, and given what little we know about long term health effects, and what we do know about increased vehicle maintenance, why not use them?

Adding MMT in the form of an Octane booster is a very bad idea. Some may not contain MMT but definitely do your research first. I don't see the point in using anything above 91 octane unless you've done engine work to raise the compression or changed the ignition timing.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl (MMT) is common to a lot of gasoline brands in Canada but not as common in the US. I only use Sunoco 94 because it doesn't contain MMT, otherwise I'd just use any other 91 gas.

Dan, did you see my post above yours? It seems Canada is now MMT free
Old 05-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Dan, did you see my post above yours? It seems Canada is now MMT free
You think I'm going to read all that?

Good to know!
Now I can save a little coin by using 91.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
You think I'm going to read all that?

Good to know!
Now I can save a little coin by using 91.
Ultramar owns on Thursdays. +3 over 87.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Got Phó?

There is also airplane fule octane 210 if you can get your hand on some........ Plus the octane boost dont work and its basicly gas mix.....its not pure octane....bc pure octane is highly combustble soo they would not hold it in the store shelf....so i would not waste my money on that crap...