Neuspeed Upper Tie Bar Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004 | 11:56 AM
ABP TSX

Post Neuspeed Upper Tie Bar Write-Up w/PICS Now

Ok, I have installed the Upper Tie Bar in the standard black finish. Here is the write-up:

Installation
The install took 20-25 minutes. Most of that time was getting the (4) 14mm bolts off. They were on extremely tight. You might need a breaker/cheater bar but after some finessing, I was able to get them off with a socket wrench. Fitting the bar on took some muscle as well, but it was fairly a "slap-on" procedure. The rest was just putting the (4) bolts back on the strut tops. As indicated in the instructions, you will need a short extension or a deep socket. I just used a deep socket.

Fit and Finish
As expected the finish was superb. This is my 3rd Neuspeed designed bar and I was pleased as usual. It fit like a glove.

Weight
The shipped package was 6 pounds, so the bar is ~5 pounds in weight. That is not all that much if you ask me. It balances out the 8 pounds of Dynamat that I put in the trunk over the weekend.

Price
The bar was $102.95 shipped UPS from a seller on eBay.

Sorry, no pictures right now since I am at work. I will update the thread later with some driving impressions. Overall, a cheap mod IMO.

Update
Pictures are posted below, just scroll down.
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the write-up. I am very curious to know if there is a noticable difference in handling.
Old 03-16-2004 | 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice! can't beat the price for a good product. Pics please.
Old 03-16-2004 | 02:23 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Mine shipped yesterday. I also have a CompTech rear sway so I'm not going to iinstall the front tie for a while. I'm planning on driving w/ the rear sway for a while, then add the front tie and see if I can notice anything.
Old 03-16-2004 | 02:24 PM

noice! cant wait for the pix! gsclifton is modding away!!!
Old 03-16-2004 | 02:49 PM
Fellow Designer!!

Sorry i couldnt resist, i havent put up one of there yet.!!!
Old 03-16-2004 | 02:51 PM
ABP TSX

I am not sure what to expect, but I will see if I can even tell a difference on the way home. There was a board member here that had a full Comptech setup including the upper Ti bar. He posted that he could not tell a difference except at the track.
The streets of Dallas have been called a lot of things, but they have never been called a track to my knowledge.

My next goal is the Comptech rear bar. After reading everyone rave, I cannot wait to install that bar. But, the front/rear setup from Neuspeed is attractive as well. Wondering if the rear Neuspeed bar “might” interfere with the Comptech exhaust . . . ? Also, higher cost aside, what would be the benefit of going the Neuspeed route?

Update:
Pics will be posted either late tonight or first thing in the morning. I installed the bar on my lunch hour today and do not have the digital camera at work.
Old 03-16-2004 | 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

HAHA installing on lunch break. nice! hey grey I have the rear sway installed so you can give my car a little test later on today! can't wait to see your tie bar and exhaust.
Old 03-16-2004 | 03:38 PM
Photography Nerd

And I thought surfing A-TSX.com was a time killer....
Old 03-16-2004 | 05:46 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by gsclifton
Also, higher cost aside, what would be the benefit of going the Neuspeed route?
I looked into that as well before deciding on the CompTech rear sway. The Neuspeed is 19mm, CompTech 23mm. Neuspeed uses polyeurathane bushings, CompTech uses rubber.

The CompTech is larger, and hence stiffer. But polyeurathane bushings induce more stiffness than rubber, so the consensus seems to be they handle the same in the end.

Poly bushings should hold up better than Rubber bushings over a very long period of time (maybe 8-10 years?). But most every post I saw said Poly bushings squeak especially in the cold. They require lubrication, which I think accsuperstar said worked well on Neuspeed's rear sway bar.

Posts on other non-TSX forums said in the worst case they had to lubricate their Poly bushings every 2 weeks to be acceptable. They said you couldn't hear it in the car, but pedestrians would wonder what's wrong with your car.
Old 03-17-2004 | 07:40 AM
ABP TSX

Here is my update and pictures.

Driving Impression
I can definitely tell that the bar improved the steering feel. It is much tighter with no "slop". I have put about 40 miles on the bar, and it was an improvement over stock. I nailed a swift left hand sweeper this morning and the front end was solid. IMO, this improved front wheel traction.

Please review the pictures below. It really does not make the engine bay much more cluttered. And yes I know my engine bay is dirty and spotted

Sway Bars
I have just about decided to get the Comptech rear bar and go from there. I am not interested in lubing up some bushings every two weeks going the Neuspeed route. Plus, everyone here is happy with the Comptech rear bar.
Old 03-17-2004 | 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

The tie bar looks good! Does it interfere with the brake reservoir cap?