35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Mugen rotors or Powerslot ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:40 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mugen rotors or Powerslot ???

I want to get new rotors soon and I am confused. I really like the mugen front rotors but I dont know if the power slots can get the same job done. I also want to know if there are any fitment issuses like the RB rotors? I dont want to pay
mugen price and get RB fitment issuses. Plus I dont want to pay for the name mugen if power slot rotors can be just as reliable and perform better than stock or equal with the mugens. Please people who have these rotors chime in and let me get your opinions on these rotors plus let me know how many miles driven with them and if you have had warping occur with the set up... Thanks in advance..
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good question

I have EXACT same question. my rotors on my 04 TSX are seriously warping out. EVERY time i tap on the brakes going at high speeds, my whole steering wheel rattles like there is no tomorrow. I am looking at some powerslot rotors that are slotted. it looks like its the way to go after i read the differences between slotted and cross drilled.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Racer

When I had my 96 civic, the stock rotors got warped pretty bad at 109K miles. I went on ebay and bought a pair of Brembo blanks that were slotted/cross-drilled by a machine shop store for $85.00 total. They were great and are still holding up fine even after 3 year and the car was sold to my friend at 173k miles now. And I only changed the brake pads once on the car after I got the brembos. The slotted/cross-drilled didn't wear out the pads as fast as anyone would think.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by greendestiny
When I had my 96 civic, the stock rotors got warped pretty bad at 109K miles. I went on ebay and bought a pair of Brembo blanks that were slotted/cross-drilled by a machine shop store for $85.00 total. They were great and are still holding up fine even after 3 year and the car was sold to my friend at 173k miles now. And I only changed the brake pads once on the car after I got the brembos. The slotted/cross-drilled didn't wear out the pads as fast as anyone would think.
Damn thets pretty good. I was looking at the brembo blanks on tirerack but the are not slotted so I didnt consider them but after reading your post I wonder if it is possible to slot them at a machining shop localy... Thank you.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Walking the Line

If you want PERFECT fitment, then i guess the RB's are out of the question. But i think the majority opinion is that the set screws serve no real purpose other than holding the rotor in place while the wheel is off.

I'd go Racingbrake...wait...i did do with Racingbrake. And it was a good decision.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had powerslots on my 1991 accord....after about 1 year WARPED.....i was very disapointed.

Then i did the same as greendestiny...got some slotted drilled Brembos
same praise......2 pad changes and not a single hot spot and or vibration. Also the same about 3 years, changed em in Oct. 2003. and its my daily driver

If i had to change my stock brakes.....Brembos again.

hope this helps....so nay for powerslot.

i'm hoping MUGEN can perform better than that
Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by TSX420J
I want to get new rotors soon and I am confused. I really like the mugen front rotors but I dont know if the power slots can get the same job done. I also want to know if there are any fitment issuses like the RB rotors? I dont want to pay
mugen price and get RB fitment issuses. Plus I dont want to pay for the name mugen if power slot rotors can be just as reliable and perform better than stock or equal with the mugens. Please people who have these rotors chime in and let me get your opinions on these rotors plus let me know how many miles driven with them and if you have had warping occur with the set up... Thanks in advance..
there's no issues with RB rotors. I have RB fronts and powerslot rears and the RB is absolutely amazing quality. the set-screws are worthless, don't let that affect your decision. the powerslots are ok, the cryogenic treatment looks nice and they don't rust in the unused section. that's my only complaint w/ the RBs is that a line of rust will form on the unused portion.

i haven't seen the mugens but I'd say you can't go wrong w/ the RBs.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

So far I like in this order

1 RB

2 Brembo

3 Mugen

The only reason mugen is third is because the amount of writen responses Ive got for them.. So right now I am leaning toward the brembo's if they come only slotted and RB if they dont.

Thanks so far for the responses everyone. I still need some more opinions so I can make my decision...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

question

nice answers guys. i appreciate all the input.

I still am pretty torn between what rotors i should buy and if i should even bother getting new brake pads....and even then...would i need new calipers for them???
I was looking at the Powerslot rotors and the Hawk brake pads. Would I have to replace all four rotors or just the front ones??? I am assuming the front ones since they do most of the work....could someone please help me???
Old 07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by neo661
nice answers guys. i appreciate all the input.

I still am pretty torn between what rotors i should buy and if i should even bother getting new brake pads....and even then...would i need new calipers for them???
I was looking at the Powerslot rotors and the Hawk brake pads. Would I have to replace all four rotors or just the front ones??? I am assuming the front ones since they do most of the work....could someone please help me???
you don't need new calipers, that's for sure.

many manufacturers suggest getting new rotors and pads at the same time, it allows them to break in together. supposedly the rears wear out faster than the fronts just because they have less material. powerslots and hawks isn't a bad combo
Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

nice!

sounds logical enough. thanks a lot for the input. what year/color is ur TSX??? do you have brake mods on yours or anyone else for that matter?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

sounds logical enough. thanks a lot for the input. what year/color is ur TSX??? do you have brake mods on yours or anyone else for that matter?

His tsx is pwp and is full of nice mods... He has RB fronts and powerslot rears..
Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Walking the Line

Just finished installing new Racingbrake rotors and Hawk brake pads on the front of mine a few weeks ago. There are pics in the photo section. Braking performance has been greatly improved and it looks nice too!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:44 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Thanks everyone I think I'll listen to Xizor and get the RB since they also make a rear set now and because Xizor talked me into it..
Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Did you consider Rotora slotted? I've heard good things about them on the forum and they are much less $$ than the RB rotors.

When it's time for me to upgrade I am either going with Brembo blanks all around or Rotora up front with Brembo blanks rear. Both ideas with Hawk pads all around.

You may drive your car harder than I do and RBs would be a good choice.

For me though, I think this would provide enough stopping power for city traffic and the occasional fun twisty mountain cruise
Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 PM
10th Gear

just get a good set of blanks. cross drilled and slotted rotors are just for looks considering its just a TSX
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Cool wow.

i didnt think i would get such a huge response from everyone. thanks guys(and girls). I am still kind of hung up on the idea of Powerslots and Hawk brake pads. I would prefer anything other than the nightmare i am experiencing with my rotors and brakes now.

thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

mugens superior design should put at the top of the list for rotor used with stock caliper.

runs extremly cool compared to the others and plus the added bonus of its lightwieght.

(unsprung wieght). just like getting some lightwieght rims.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

nice.

hey.... thanks guy. what do you have on your TSXy?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by epgonzalez
mugens superior design should put at the top of the list for rotor used with stock caliper.

runs extremly cool compared to the others and plus the added bonus of its lightwieght.

(unsprung wieght). just like getting some lightwieght rims.
do you have a weight comparison?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if Mugen are light weight, but I doubt it. Both Powerslot and RacingBrake has almost identical weight as the stock Brake Disc, so it might be lighter, but not by much. I just order a set of RacingBrake Front/Rear, price is good and quality seems excellent, can't wait to install it.

just get a good set of blanks. cross drilled and slotted rotors are just for looks considering its just a TSX
I upgrade my brakes for performance, not just for look. You might argue it's just a TSX or Drilled/Slotted are just for look. But keep in mind that Slotted rotor disperse heat faster, and not as easy to wrap as Cross Drilled brake disc. My last cruise @ a TSX Meet in Toronto made me feel a need to upgrade, cause I can't stop my car (Took a long time/long distance) to stop after a couple runs w/ lots of braking. It's scary. I'm upgrading my Brake system w/ RacingBrake Slotted Rotor and some Hawks HPS brake pad, not gonna upgrade the Brake line for now. I hope I can see some improvment on the road.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Walking the Line

Originally Posted by chuson
I don't know if Mugen are light weight, but I doubt it. Both Powerslot and RacingBrake has almost identical weight as the stock Brake Disc, so it might be lighter, but not by much. I just order a set of RacingBrake Front/Rear, price is good and quality seems excellent, can't wait to install it.

I upgrade my brakes for performance, not just for look. You might argue it's just a TSX or Drilled/Slotted are just for look. But keep in mind that Slotted rotor disperse heat faster, and not as easy to wrap as Cross Drilled brake disc. My last cruise @ a TSX Meet in Toronto made me feel a need to upgrade, cause I can't stop my car (Took a long time/long distance) to stop after a couple runs w/ lots of braking. It's scary. I'm upgrading my Brake system w/ RacingBrake Slotted Rotor and some Hawks HPS brake pad, not gonna upgrade the Brake line for now. I hope I can see some improvment on the road.
Good choice Chuson, you will be impressed. I also passed on the brake line upgrade, but might do it later just for kicks.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Intermediate

the mugen rotor is atleast half the wieght of a stock rotor.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Cryo Rotors

i didnt think i would get such a huge response from everyone. thanks guys(and girls). I am still kind of hung up on the idea of Powerslots and Hawk brake pads. I would prefer anything other than the nightmare i am experiencing with my rotors and brakes now.

thanks guys.
I like the Power slot and Hawk HPS combo also. Has anyone tried the cryo treated power slot rotors and/or HPS ceramic pad? It seems a cryo treated rotor will last 2X-3X longer, resist warping better, and decrease fading while driving compared to a similar non-cryo treated rotor.

I will keep my car past the 150K mark. I’ll be willing to pay an extra $120-$150 for 4 rotors up front if they will last me 2X-3X longer down the road.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

nice.

dude, sounds good. anything more expensive is definitely going to last more in the long run. i havent had any personal experience with any type of rotor other than my own stock rotors (which seem to have some type of intermittent, annoying, scratching noise while i am driving if anyone has ANY idea what thats about, please let me know) it has gotten on my last NERVE! the dealership said they didnt find anything but i am going this Friday for them to look at it again and i will drive it to show them what the hell i am talking about.

yeah man, splurge away on your rotors. i will buy my hawk and powerslot combo soon and will post my findings here.....
Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

i have a quick question but besides the inproved performance . . i think another consideration would be whether any of the setups you guys are running have increased noise while braking ?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

most will have increased noise and dust..except maybe the ebc green stuff, but those are a street only pad.