Just Finished Comptech Short Shift Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bushings also help the firmness of each shift.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
A few things I remember from taking apart my center console.

- removing the plastic mat in the armrest is always a major PITA for me. I've taken apart my console many times so I bent a paperclip and put half of it under the mat and let the other half stick up. i can just pull up the clip and it takes the mat off.
The best way to do this is to put something sticky on the ruber & then peel it off. Takes a millisecond
Old 11-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=
Couple things: Be careful pulling the top of the console off. There is a plastic ring around the shift boot that I ended up pulling off. Doesn't seem like it's supposed to come off and I snapped a couple of the plastic connectors. [/QUOTE]
Its not.... I broke mine too......... Krazy glue!!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
UK Accord Type-S

JTso and others about the white bushing:

Could you tell me how long a wrench did you use? tried to get that white bushing off failed..how exactly do you apply the force? do you hold the wrench horizontal while smacking the middle of the wrench or where do you get the leverage? much appreciate your help...would really like to get this shifter on.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by alnug
JTso and others about the white bushing:

Could you tell me how long a wrench did you use? tried to get that white bushing off failed..how exactly do you apply the force? do you hold the wrench horizontal while smacking the middle of the wrench or where do you get the leverage? much appreciate your help...would really like to get this shifter on.
I was afraid I was going to destroy something, just keep giving it force till it pops. I just used a wrench that was big enough to fit around the shaft but small enough to stay on the bushing. I think I used a screwdriver and used it as a fulcrum instead of the shifter housing plastic.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My wrench is about 7" long. Reinstall the rear bolts to the shifter housing. Place the open end wrench over the top of the shifter bushing. Lift the rear of the wrench up until the center of the wrench is press up against the shifter housing through the opening (look at pic from the previous posts). By doing so, the open end of the wrench is now pressing down on the shifter bushing. You will use the shifter housing for leverage and pop the bushing down by lifting the rear of the wrench.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:39 AM
UK Accord Type-S

thanks for the replies..just need to wait a day before trying again...hands are still sore!

also to Xizor, where did u place the screwdriver as a fulcrum?? just want to get as much info as I can before attempting this again, it is a right pain! so anymore tips would be gladly appreciated!

Also do you guys know that this white plastic bushing is NOT sold separate! you have to buy the whole stick if you break it..so i want to be extra carefull now!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

thanks for the replies..just need to wait a day before trying again...hands are still sore!

also to Xizor, where did u place the screwdriver as a fulcrum?? just want to get as much info as I can before attempting this again, it is a right pain! so anymore tips would be gladly appreciated!!
I placed the screwdriver along the shifter housing. I thought the housing might crack under the pressure so pushing against the screwdriver and letting the driver spread the pressure along the housing seemed to be a good idea. who knows, i finally got it after fighting for a while
Old 01-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

hmm. does it really make that much of a diff? my friend has dc sports shifter in his integra and i hate driving it.

the throws are so short and they are not smooth.

the stock shifter is pretty damn smooth, i'm reluctant to buy something that would degrade that.

opinions?

Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
UK Accord Type-S

thought that was the case Xizor.....that was what i was thinking about evening the pressure along that small ridge on the housing...will give it a try again some time to get it off...why the damn thing had to be so tight is beyond me....all for this stupid little white plastic peice or I'd be enjoying my shift now!

It's a matter of opinion what you like but to me after having a short shift in my previous car I won't want to be without one.....feels a lot more in touch with the car....but if you want smooth and easy going or 'lazy driving' then a short shift may not be for you....with the smoothness of the TSX shift i doubt the short shift would degrade it that much....anyway it's your call.......I'm gonna try and get the comptech sucker on again lol!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by dzuy
hmm. does it really make that much of a diff? my friend has dc sports shifter in his integra and i hate driving it.

the throws are so short and they are not smooth.

the stock shifter is pretty damn smooth, i'm reluctant to buy something that would degrade that.

opinions?

it does make it the shift less smooth and slightly more notchier. I hated it at first, but I can't imagine living w/o the short shifter now, I love the feeling it adds. Driving any other MT like my old Accord makes me want to cry for a SS now.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:37 AM
UK Accord Type-S

I FINALLY got the sucker on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeeze that white bushing takes a beating i had to use a ghetto rig wrench to do the job. I used a 13mm wrench on the bushing, then on the end of the 13mm wrench i hooked a 17mm wrench to get extra leverage...it still took a bit of force after that to get that bushing off!!!!!!!!!

I also used a metal plate between the spanner and the white housing of the shifter to spread the pressure.

Finally go the thing on...am soo pleased, the feel is so 'snick snick' mechanical...i can see why some don't like it but it feels just excellent for me...but you do need a bit more force to get it in now.

The location of the shortshifter is the same as with sheiserhoffer as in the screws are at the same height but i couldn't get my screws all the way in but the shifter is on firm...i bashed it a few times lol...........loving it
Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 AM
UK Accord Type-S

Hi all..been testing the shifter all is very good except in 6th gear sometimes i feel i have to really bang it home!

Also can anyone tell me how far down the cup attached to the bottom of the shifter is supposed to sit? i.e the bit that is connected to the rod? mine sits as if it on the carpet and I'm a bit worred this might be a bit low

Also i couldn't get my screws all the way in but the shifter is solid...anyone with any feedback would be much appreciated
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 AM
UK Accord Type-S

one more thing..before i installed using the Neuspeed instructions i tired to go with the comptech install method where i managed to release the second shift rod by twisting the black butterfly nut type thing.....problem is i can't seem to twist the damn thing back into place and it sort of like half secured......any ideas on how to twist the thing back......did you guys use a tool of any type?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Where can someone buy those metal bushings for the shifter?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by IneedaTSX
Where can someone buy those metal bushings for the shifter?
clubrsx sells them, they're the same between the rsx and tsx. also you can search for an individual who was selling them, you'd need to search for their e-mail address on the forum
Old 01-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all..been testing the shifter all is very good except in 6th gear sometimes i feel i have to really bang it home!

Also can anyone tell me how far down the cup attached to the bottom of the shifter is supposed to sit? i.e the bit that is connected to the rod? mine sits as if it on the carpet and I'm a bit worred this might be a bit low

Also i couldn't get my screws all the way in but the shifter is solid...anyone with any feedback would be much appreciated
Yea, mine sat low as well. I guess if were both seeing that its normal.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:38 PM
UK Accord Type-S

hi all, decided that my comptech install could be improved so i modded the comptech short shift by shaving 3mm off the top. Doing this i managed to get the comptech shifter high enough so that my 2 screws could be finally screwed in properly.

Reaching up the shifter shaft to where the comptech shifter is secured i noticed that the shifter expands up towards the ball of the shifter and when i pushed the original comptech shifter onto the shaft i realised that the shifter did not slide over the shaft but more like got wedged onto the shaft since the diameter of the shaft for the shifter is larger than that of the comptech....i am not sure if this is the case with the TSX since I am in UK. Anyway this meant the shifter can only be pushed up so far and meant the screws did not go in all the way as I would have like. i wanted the screws to be secured above the ball on the stock shifter for more security so i shaved off 3mm from the shifter and now it sitts much more securely and shifts much better....especially for 6th gear.

when i took of the comptech i noticed that the screws were only securing slightly above half way on the ball of the shifter...you can tell this from indentations the screws make on the shifter...this to me didn't seem secure enough....after modification it sat about 3mm higher and secured properly with less notchiness.

I am not sure if the top of the comptech slides over the shaft of the TSX or not but for the UK accord Type-S it was not the case....I just thought that i'd update people on this.