Just Finished Comptech Short Shift Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Finished Comptech Short Shift Install

Just finished this mod. Definatly worth the $55 bux. Shifts are now short (duh), "tight" (meaning no more "floppin" around) and smooth. Also quieter and not as "klunky" as the stock. Took about 2 hours.

Only heads up I would give is be careful with the cotter pin you have to pull out. The thing feels like it made of lead or aluminum. Bends very easily.

Overall, I give it
Old 08-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Design By Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the part this week, and am going to install it today... any other hints?
Old 08-14-2004, 02:37 PM
04 remembrance

Can you provide any pictures of the install? Or the completion?
Old 08-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Design By Force

I'll take some pics during install...

joerockt, (i know it's off topic but) what series of MBQuartz do you have? I had some in my old car, and am thinking of getting a new set of q series... do you like 'em?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Just dial 1911

iamhomin, both comptech and neuspeed offer step by step pictured instructions from their websites.

Architech, its the Discus series. Been VERY happy with them...
Old 08-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Old 08-16-2004, 11:13 PM
04 remembrance

If it improves shifting and the transition between gears, I might as well invest in one too.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

i didn't like it at first, but now i can't live w/o my SS. feels much much sportier too
Old 08-17-2004, 01:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
DO NOT GET THE NEW DISCUS SERIES!!!! The new DSE sucks compared to the older one. If you can find it, get the DSD! Much cheaper, you get Reference crossover network, and tweeters, but not woofer. The new Discus series are like a lower model than the older Discus series.

The DSD 216 .. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11041

The DSE 216 .. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13542

woops, thought the older discus are cheaper. But it's a mear 10 bucks difference, you'll get better crossovers & 1" tweeter instead of a .5".
Old 08-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
DO NOT GET THE NEW DISCUS SERIES!!!! The new DSE sucks compared to the older one. If you can find it, get the DSD! Much cheaper, you get Reference crossover network, and tweeters, but not woofer. The new Discus series are like a lower model than the older Discus series.

woops, thought the older discus are cheaper. But it's a mear 10 bucks difference, you'll get better crossovers & 1" tweeter instead of a .5".
wrong thread
Old 08-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by epkim
You can get all the pics you need for the install at Neuspeed or Comptech websites.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by xizor
i didn't like it at first, but now i can't live w/o my SS. feels much much sportier too
What didnt you like about it at first? I had no problem with it right away...
Old 08-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Installed my comptech short shifter today. Everything went fine. Center console came out no problem. Removed the shift assembly no problem. Removed the plastic bushing from the stock shifter, greased it and installed it on the short shifter. Placed the loctite inside the shortshifter and end of stock shifter and pushed the short shifter onto the stock shifter really good. ( loctite warning on package: loctite sets up in 10 minutes and cures in 24 hours) no problem. I go to tighten the allen screws which now have loctite on them and I dont have the right size allen key, no problem I have at least 3 sets. I get the other sets and I realize that they are all standard size sets and none of them fit. My 10 minutes are now up and I dont know if this loctite is going to stick my allen screws in the untightened position. Good thing sears is right down the block and I have 2 cars. So off to sears I go with my shift assembly in hand. Grab a set of metric allens and tighten the short shifter right in sears. I did buy the set afterward. Well the rest of the install went well and the TSX shifts like a mofo now. Nice short tight quiet shifts. Much better than stock. A must mod for only 50 bucks.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wrong thread
i was responding to theARCHITECT's question about the mb quartz that joerockt hvae in his car.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Deelover
Installed my comptech short shifter today. .
My neuspeed came with the allen wrench,
Old 08-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Just dial 1911

Torx #15 fits perfect for those screws.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx

These are the components, I didnt buy the components. Dont know what your talking about, the 2 way MB's I have sound great to me.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Advanced

I'm kindof new here.... Does this screw up the warranty? I would love to shorten the throw!!! Not real confident about installing myself, though?

abp 6mt/nav
Old 08-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Instructor

People are worried about the warranties. Hell my acura dealer sells a bunch of aftermarket stuff from comptech. The short shifter mod is minor. Most mods in here if you were really really really worried about what the dealer might say can be taken off and replaced with your stock parts before you take the car in to the dealer. When you mod just keep your stock parts in case you need to reinstall them.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by ennzzo
I'm kindof new here.... Does this screw up the warranty? I would love to shorten the throw!!! Not real confident about installing myself, though?

abp 6mt/nav
in the worst case, you can simply take it off
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
6th Gear

Does anyone know where to get comptech stuff in Canada?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Woodbine Acura carries comptech parts if you're in the GTA.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by joerockt
What didnt you like about it at first? I had no problem with it right away...
i was so used to shifting the stock shifter quickly that the short shifter threw off my timing and my shifts were really jerky. I got used the SS after a while too.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Just dial 1911

Interesting. Its different, but I didnt think it was THAT different.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Let me ask you this:

Does it improve the sound of the shift? When I shift through the gears with the engine off, I get the nice "snick snick" shift sound that is so rewarding. But when the car is running, the shifts feel good, but they sound like "thunk thunk". Seems like the shift in my old 99 civic si was more rewarding for that reason; the sound adds so much to it for me. I've got no beef with the throw length, but the sound is disappointing to me. Does the comptech short shifter make the sound better? That'd make it worth it to me.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Just dial 1911

Odd question, but yea I think it does sound a bit like the "snick" sound. Maybe. I dunno, It sounds better then stock. But i've never really heard or cared about the sound...
Old 10-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

the short shifter marginally adds to the sound, but the metal shifter bushing really does it. that's what you're really lokking for.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Racer

the short shifter marginally adds to the sound, but the metal shifter bushing really does it. that's what you're really lokking for.
Can you elaborate? I can put in gas and change oil. Can probably do alot more but at this point don't have much knowledge. I have no idea what lies beneath the shift boot. What is a metal shifter bushing? Is the stock not metal? How do I swap it out? Where do I get a good sounding metal one? I need that sound; without it I am but a mere mortal.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
Can you elaborate? I can put in gas and change oil. Can probably do alot more but at this point don't have much knowledge. I have no idea what lies beneath the shift boot. What is a metal shifter bushing? Is the stock not metal? How do I swap it out? Where do I get a good sounding metal one? I need that sound; without it I am but a mere mortal.

Thanks.
Allow myself to answer my...self's own question:

metal brushings?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

this is the stock rubber bushing

replaced with

Old 11-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Racer

Got the Comptech. Trying to follow the Neuspeed directions as others have recommended. How the #$&^@# do you get the plastic bushing off the stock shifter (Neuspeed Step #9)?

"Insert a 13 mm wrench under white plastic bushing and gently pry it off."

Are they kidding? I can't imagine there's anything gentle about it. There's no good angle, the bushing just shifts around on the ball, I don't want to be too forceful as I know I have to re-use this piece. Anyone else have problems here? Either I am a complete moron or this is alot more difficult than the instructions would like me to believe.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Got the Comptech. Trying to follow the Neuspeed directions as others have recommended. How the #$&^@# do you get the plastic bushing off the stock shifter (Neuspeed Step #9)?

Are they kidding? I can't imagine there's anything gentle about it. There's no good angle, the bushing just shifts around on the ball, I don't want to be too forceful as I know I have to re-use this piece. Anyone else have problems here? Either I am a complete moron or this is alot more difficult than the instructions would like me to believe.

Thanks for any input.
well the wrench part is right. the gently is way wrong. use a screwdriver or something as a fulcrum and use the wrench as a lever, you'll need some serious leverage to pop that sucker off. I use an incredible amount of force to get it off, but i don't think u can damage it.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Those look familiar.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for any input.
Reinstall the rear bolts that hold down shifter housing for leverage, so the housing doesn't move around. Then just insert the wrench according to the Neuspeed instructions and pop the bushing off. The trick is to place the wrench flush against the top of the bushing for better surface contact to keep it from moving around.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JTso
Reinstall the rear bolts that hold down shifter housing for leverage, so the housing doesn't move around.
I ended up figuring this one out on my own. Hadn't checked back here in awhile. Thanks for the input.

Anyone who has never done this before who says it can be done in one hour is a better man than I. Good lord this was a difficult install for me. I did the bushings and the shifter. I didn't use the Lock-tite as I'd like to be able to remove it if I need to; plus, the Neuspeed shifter, which seems identical, doesn't use it, so I question its necessity. I guess 4 years from now when those screws vibrate loose and the thing falls apart I'll know I should have used it.

Couple things on which I'm seeking reassurance. I felt like I pushed the short shifter as far up on the ball as it would go, but I wonder if it is too low. Here are a few pics.

This pic was taken from the passenger side, at the same height as the cable/rod that comes out of the shift mechanism and goes toward the front of the car. The screws are hidden by the cable/rod, which means they are at the same height. Does that seem about right?

The end of the shift cable (into which the short shifter is "plugged") is sitting barely above the carpet. Is this about right, or too low, meaning short shifter isn't far enough up on stock shifter?

Couple things: Be careful pulling the top of the console off. There is a plastic ring around the shift boot that I ended up pulling off. Doesn't seem like it's supposed to come off and I snapped a couple of the plastic connectors. Doesn't seem like a huge problem but to those who are looking to do it, try to avoid this. Also, the "Not an Ashtray" has screws that are under the console top and if you flex the "Not an Ashtray" around too much before removing these screws you will snap part of the plastic off through which the screw goes. I know from experience dude.

Thanks for all those who input prior to this; this would have been a whole lot harder without the hints I found here.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

If anyone else has more they'd like to share, this is good stuff I'm seeing here. I had to be a guinea pig on my install, and I broke a few of these pieces. I guess it was a good thing that I was working for a dealer at the time.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

A few things I remember from taking apart my center console.

- to remove the cigarette adaptor plug inside the armrest there is a tab you need to push on the back of the plug. you can't see it, but feel for it with your finger.

- removing the plastic mat in the armrest is always a major PITA for me. I've taken apart my console many times so I bent a paperclip and put half of it under the mat and let the other half stick up. i can just pull up the clip and it takes the mat off.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I can just buy these from Club RSX and follow their install. I think I'll get these and my Comptech shortshifter in a week.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Instructor

can you post a pick of the shift knob and the boot? Just curious how short it really is.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by IneedaTSX
can you post a pick of the shift knob and the boot? Just curious how short it really is.
it doesn't change the visible height of the shifter. just the throw

Quick Reply: Just Finished Comptech Short Shift Install