JDM Taillight intall w/ tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quoting as requested...

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Ok I installed the JDM Taillights with the amber blinkers today. It was pretty easy took me just over an hour to install them.

The bumper is held on with 3 screws. 2 in the wheel well and one on the bottome of the bumper connecting it to the back of the wheel well. Last there are two clips in the middle between the exhaust tips.

First screw that need to be removed at top of rear wheel well. One on each side of car.

Second screw that need to be reomved from the lower part of the wheel well. One on each side of car.

Third screw that needs to be removed on lower part of bumper about two inches in from edge of wheel well.

You need to pop of this screw to access the 10mm bolt that is behind it. One on each side.

Then remove this bolt. One on each side

Then remove the two clips on the under side between the exhaust tips. There are two of them.

For those of you that have removed the front bumper the rear bumper snaps off the same way once you have all the screws, bolts, and clips off.

This is what you start with after the bumper is removed.

Once the bumper is off start on one side and remove the 3 8mm bolts holding the taillight on from the inside of the car and then disconnect the cables.

Then remove the two 10mm bolts shown here first. Then pull the taillight out and remove the screw that hold the plate to the light.

After this remove the bulbs from the original light and insert into the jdm light. Then reverse the process to install the new taillight.

Before: with factory tails

After with JDM Tails: You cant really tell that they are different at all when they are off.

Close-Up of JDM Tail: not lit up

Close-Up of JDM Tail: blinker on

Well I hope this is helpful to anyone that attempts to do this.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Rebourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
Quoting as requested...
You da man!!!

Thanks, if we were allowed to give rep points. I would. Again, thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Rebourne

Thumbs up

I installed mine last night, it took me almost 2 hours to this. I had to do all by myself , I just couldn't wait till the weekend for a helping hand. Anyway, the tutorial was pretty easy to follow. I just memorized which bolts and clips to remove and it was fairly easy. I like how the amber now match the side markers on our cars.

I took pictures, but they look similar to CCC's. So they're not really worth seeing. It was already dark when I was finishing up, but this morning I noticed a small gap between the bumper and rear tailights on the passenger side (it kinda sticks out about 1-2 cmm). It's not very noticeable, but it's there. Comparing how perfectly the driver side bumper panel looks. In general, do any of you have this fitment problem? I think that tiny gap was there before I did the install, but now my mind is probably playing tricks on me. I don't know, I might just take off the bumper over the weekend and try to see if I can adjust it for a perfect fitment.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,715 Likes on 2,519 Posts
Glad the tutorial helped.

I havent noticed any fitment issues with mine at all. Might want to double check that you have the bumper completely clipped in.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Rebourne

I havent noticed any fitment issues with mine at all. Might want to double check that you have the bumper completely clipped in.
Yeah, I'll try take off the bumper over the weekend to see what's up. The ends of the bumper (near the wheel well) both, driver side and passenger side clipped in perfectly. There's just this slight gap near the end of the outter tailight that bugs the S*!t out of me. Ooh well, I'll work on it over the weekend.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
boost owns

Any tips on removing/replacing the bumper, I've never done it before front or rear. Planning on the tail install Thursday evening.

Good work on the install, jrock!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 PM
boost owns

C'mon! Nobody can give me a general idea of how the rear bumper comes off? I know I have to remove the screws + clips, but after that, does it just drop off? Pop out? Is it a pain to do alone, or am I better off having a buddy to help?

I already plan to lay down a big towel so that the bumper does not get scratched on the ground.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Audioserf
C'mon! Nobody can give me a general idea of how the rear bumper comes off? I know I have to remove the screws + clips, but after that, does it just drop off? Pop out? Is it a pain to do alone, or am I better off having a buddy to help?

I already plan to lay down a big towel so that the bumper does not get scratched on the ground.
you just pull it off. have you taken the front bumper off. there are a couple of preasure clips right under the side of each light that old each side on so you have to pull a little but you wont break anything. other than that it just comes right off after you remove those screws and clips in my tutorial.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
boost owns

you just pull it off. have you taken the front bumper off. there are a couple of preasure clips right under the side of each light that old each side on so you have to pull a little but you wont break anything. other than that it just comes right off after you remove those screws and clips in my tutorial.
And there you have it. Thanks man. I got the job done today after work. It took me an hour. Cake-walk thanks to your tutorial.

The lights fit perfectly, and I love the look of the amber in person. I can't wait for it to get dark tonight so I can go joyride just to signal, haha.

Now to sell my USDM tails, or maybe find a good LED retrofitter and get my G35 on...
Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Advanced

I can't seem to remove the plastic clips on the bottom of the bumper, anyone? tips?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by ArcticBlue.
I can't seem to remove the plastic clips on the bottom of the bumper, anyone? tips?
Those were a pain. I didn't break either but I did snap a little bit of the plastic on each. What I did was take my a small flat-head screwdriver, slide it into the "notch", and then rotate it sideways. I kept doing this until the center of the clip popped out and I was able to pull the clip free.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Rebourne

^^ +1

It's really a bitch to get those clips off, I too chipped off a part of a clip. Take your time, you'll get those two clips off in no time.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 AM

they are really easy in my opinion. just use a flat head screw driver. insert it under the clip and twist.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone know how to reinstall a tail light? It's the piece that wraps around the back of the car on the Driver Side? I busted my tail light and need to install a spare. I ordered the spare online and just need to install. Thakns for help!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlgold
Does anyone know how to reinstall a tail light? It's the piece that wraps around the back of the car on the Driver Side? I busted my tail light and need to install a spare. I ordered the spare online and just need to install. Thakns for help!
I would start with page 1 of this thread.
The overall parts are identical.

You had to pass over the installation instructions to post, that is just lazy.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

thanks dick. if you read page 1 of the thread you'd see that it just covers removing the bumper which is a pre-req for removing tail lights. The author does NOT go into removing the side panel tail light and re-installing it
Old 02-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Once the bumper is off start on one side and remove the 3 8mm bolts holding the taillight on from the inside of the car and then disconnect the cables.

Then remove the two 10mm bolts shown here first. Then pull the taillight out and remove the screw that hold the plate to the light.

After this remove the bulbs from the original light and insert into the jdm light. Then reverse the process to install the new taillight.

Still have a question on how to do it? Now it is on page one and three. If you need more help, you should just take it to the dealer.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mskierki
Still have a question on how to do it? Now it is on page one and three. If you need more help, you should just take it to the dealer.

really pretty comical that you apparently can't read and need your hand held so just take it to the dealer.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
boost owns

It's especially funny how combative and angry he became when that was pointed out.

This tutorial is great, I used it to put in my JDM tails last spring. Very helpful and doesn't leave anything out. Thanks again CCC.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Same I even posted pictures of me taking the car apart a few months back.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
dP-
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have their OEM taillight (right outer) and willing to sell to me? My right one was broken this weekend...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
You missed me 1 week too late i just sold both.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
dP-
Instructor

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
You missed me 1 week too late i just sold both.
Doh! Anyone else have their old tail lights?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dP-
Anyone have their OEM taillight (right outer) and willing to sell to me? My right one was broken this weekend...
do you plan on installing yourself? same problem for me, and the dealer wants $115 in labor.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dlgold
where did you order from and how much?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hey anybody want to do one on the EDM rear fog lamp? We have one or two in stock now....

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...M-pr-4988.html
Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
dP-
Instructor

Originally Posted by bradykp
do you plan on installing yourself? same problem for me, and the dealer wants $115 in labor.
yup, planning on doing it myself. With the pics and how-to in this thread, it looks to be a manageable job.