HELP with short shifter REMOVAL! ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP with short shifter REMOVAL!

Well, the story is that when I bought the SS I had a local shop did the installation. Turned out that they did a HORRIBLE job that I'd wish I would never go back. However, the problem due to that horrible job still persists. There's a little play between the stock shifter and SS, so everytime I shift I hear a small 'click', metal to metal. I've tried to greased up my side screw with "the best" thread lockers before, no luck.
So right now i'm trying to figure out a way to fix this.
Should I
1.) Inject a some new "sleeve retainer" liquid into the openings where the screws go in.
2.) Try to remove that fawk'in cable clip and do it Comptech style, which I've been trying to remove that clip for half an hour now.
3.) Put everything back
Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 AM
Hondaholic

I know many have reported success with the "Neuspeed" way; I cannot personally imagine how you could get a tight, secure fit between the SS adapter and the bottom of the shifter without taking it out.

Using the Comptech method, it's easy to see what you are doing, making sure the SS adapter is bottomed out, plently of Loctite, set screws secured. And the whole entire reassembly takes like 5 minutes.

The only hard part is getting the clip off, but it's mainly because if you haven't done it before, you're not sure where to pry, although there's only one obvious place. And then you have to apply so much force that you're sure that you're prying in the wrong place, or that you are going to break something. And then you start thinking you'll never be able to get it back on. It actually goes back on quite easily.

In this pic from Xizor, you can see the clip towards the left. You can get a good sized prybar and pry from the bottom of the clip straight upward, using the shifter housing as a leverage point.

The black plastic clip on the right is also locked to the housing; to remove it you simply rotate it 90 degrees-it will lift straight up and out.

Good luck.....
Old 11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just used some needle nose plyers and good old strength and pulled it off. I ended up using the Neuspeed method to put on the SS part b/c I couldn't get the linkage on the right off. Still used the Comptech installation method of Locktite and such.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I used the Neuspeed method (Neuspeed shifter) and everything came out relatively easy and no loctite required. If it's loose, I would try tighten down the set screws first before taking everything apart to see if that solves the problem.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by JTso
I used the Neuspeed method (Neuspeed shifter) and everything came out relatively easy and no loctite required. If it's loose, I would try tighten down the set screws first before taking everything apart to see if that solves the problem.
I did the Neuspeed method when I installed mine. I had a similar problem with the SS being a little loose and making noises. I went back in and looked at my install and it turned out I didn't tighten both screws on the SS, only the one I could see from the drivers side. I tightened the one facing the passenger and its been perfect for 1.5yrs now
Old 11-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Pro

Sholda done this myself!
My next problem is to figure out how to pry out the short shifter OFF from the stock shifter. To me it felt like the guy who did the job didn't put enough loctite or did push the short shifter all the way through. I've been tightening the screws on the sides every 5-6 months, that's why i'm trying to take the whole thing apart.
Last night with my last attempt to take off the clip I used vise grip, I was so frustrated, and yank the heck out of it. Nothing happened. It came off abot quarter of an inch. So I decided to stuff in some loctite down the side and put everything back together.
Right now my next move is to find something thin and small enough that I can insert it into the small gap in the clip and pulled it out.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I used no loctite on my SS, Neuspeed's instructions don't call for it, FWIW
Old 11-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by xizor
I used no loctite on my SS, Neuspeed's instructions don't call for it, FWIW
So you just tighten the screw? The thing with my setup is it'll start coming loose every once in a while BUT everytime I had to tighten the screws I had to break the bond of the loctite compound first.
It's kinda weird cuz the screws are in place but the shifter will come loose.
On Neuspeed SS is there a groove that you're suppose to thred the screws in?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What tool did you use to tighten the screws? Does it provide enough leverage during tightening?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso
What tool did you use to tighten the screws? Does it provide enough leverage during tightening?
I used a Huskey hex key set. I think it was the number 5 one that I used.

Moderator: If you could remove the 'ASAP' on the topic it would be good since it's no longer asap.