Getting Release Bearing Replaced, Time for Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 08:35 AM
Professional Newbie

Getting Release Bearing Replaced, Time for Mods?

So I've read through a few threads on this topic, though none have really answered my questions and I don't want to hijack so I'm starting my own.

I have an '04 with a little over 30k miles on it. I've been hearing some release bearing squeal for a couple months and I'm going to bite the bullet and go through with getting it replaced in a few weeks.

Obviously now the question is, can I control myself and not succumb to my urge to mod while the mechanic has the transmission out?

I still don't have a good understanding of the lightweight flywheel. From what I've heard it sounds like it lets you rev up a little quicker when the clutch is depressed (like during a downshift), but it's the same when the engine is under load? Also, it makes stalling much easier, particularly if I'm driving in the city all the time, yes? To me it sounds like the shortcomings outweigh any benefit.

However, would the shortcomings of the lightweight flywheel be mitigated by a performance clutch?

A couple notes/questions:
1) I'm only 6 months out of my Acura powertrain warranty, is there any sense in calling up Acura Corporate Customer Care and trying to get them to honor this repair?
2) I drive 8 miles stop and go in and out of Boston 5 days a week
3) Although I don't have any immediate plans to sell...how would going with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel effect resale?
4) How much would I LOVE a new clutch/flywheel setup?
Old 12-12-2008 | 10:14 AM
Drifting

With a lighter flywheel, the engine will still rev quicker under load. Look at it this way, there's less energy being used to accelerate the mass of the flywheel which in turn makes that energy available to turn the wheels.

As to the rest of your questions:
1) You can try but don't hold your breath.
2/4) Pretty much all the aftermarket clutches are heavier than stock. Your foot will likely get tired of it if you spend lots of time in stop and go traffic, which you do. A heavier clutch makes it harder to get going slowly while still being smooth.
3) Not enough to even consider.

My suggestion would be to replace the clutch with an OEM equivalent. Since you're replacing the throw out bearing, I would definitely go ahead with the new clutch. If you go with a moderately lightened flywheel, driveability will be very minimally effected (stalling and such) but you will definitely gain some acceleration. I don't know what's available in terms of flywheels for the TSX but stay away from the shaved ones. Get one that was built from scratch to be lighter without sacrificing strength.
Old 12-12-2008 | 04:44 PM
Professional Newbie

Thanks Lukea, so it sounds like performance clutch is out of the picture but a lightweight flywheel could be good.

I'm not particularly prone to stalling (maybe about 10 times in 4 years) but I'm still worried about how the lightweight flywheel will change that. Will I have to re-learn my shifting but once I do it will be fine, or is it the sort of thing where it will feel the same but be less forgiving toward poor engagements?

Basically...any reason that I might not like it?
Old 12-12-2008 | 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Thanks Lukea, so it sounds like performance clutch is out of the picture but a lightweight flywheel could be good.

I'm not particularly prone to stalling (maybe about 10 times in 4 years) but I'm still worried about how the lightweight flywheel will change that. Will I have to re-learn my shifting but once I do it will be fine, or is it the sort of thing where it will feel the same but be less forgiving toward poor engagements?

Basically...any reason that I might not like it?
I dropped off my 04 today to have an Exedy Stage 1 c/w lightweight 8.9 LB Exedy flywheel. I will let you know my take on the new set up next week.
Old 12-13-2008 | 12:10 AM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by SPARKIE
I dropped off my 04 today to have an Exedy Stage 1 c/w lightweight 8.9 LB Exedy flywheel. I will let you know my take on the new set up next week.
Oh, perfect

I'm definitely interested to hear your impressions of that setup, keep me posted!
Old 12-17-2008 | 10:29 AM
Professional Newbie

Hey Sparkie, had any time to do some driving on the new setup? What are your thoughts?
Old 12-17-2008 | 10:09 PM
Instructor

Hey Sparkie, had any time to do some driving on the new setup? What are your thoughts?
The TSX is really a third vehicle for us. The Transmission shop was extremely busy so I told him that he could have the car all week to work on (for a better price). I talked to him today and he said that he had started on it but it would take him all day. I'm not available to get the car until Saturday morning so I will likely get back to you on Sunday.

Steve
Old 12-18-2008 | 04:02 PM
Driver/Detailer

I have the lightweight exedy flywheel with an OEM exedy clutch for K20. The clutch is lighter than the original clutch! Start stop driving is alright, but it is a little bit more difficult to maintain low speed in 1st gear because of the jerk when the DBW goes from fully closed to 1 step open.
Old 12-18-2008 | 10:26 PM
Professional Newbie

The TSX is really a third vehicle for us. The Transmission shop was extremely busy so I told him that he could have the car all week to work on (for a better price). I talked to him today and he said that he had started on it but it would take him all day. I'm not available to get the car until Saturday morning so I will likely get back to you on Sunday.

Steve
No worries Steve, I'm not having the work done till after the new year anyway, just anxious to figure out what parts I need to order.

Originally Posted by aaronng
I have the lightweight exedy flywheel with an OEM exedy clutch for K20. The clutch is lighter than the original clutch! Start stop driving is alright, but it is a little bit more difficult to maintain low speed in 1st gear because of the jerk when the DBW goes from fully closed to 1 step open.
So aaron, are you saying that you have the K20 clutch on your K24 TSX or are you driving something with a K20. Also, I like the springiness of the OEM clutch so maybe I'll buy Honda genuine if it seems to need replacing. Or do you think the Stage 1 would have the springiness of OEM TSX clutch?
Old 12-19-2008 | 11:29 AM
Drifting

You should be replacing the clutch no matter what shape it's in. It's a $300 dollar part with $1000 of labor to get to it. Since you're going to be there already, just replace it.
Old 12-21-2008 | 01:37 PM
Instructor

Picked up the car yesterday and drove it for 50 miles of snow covered roads ....not great testing conditions. Clutch feels very similar to stock except very smooth and no noise from the f'ing release bearing. Lightweight exedy HF02 flywheel feels like a great improvement over stock. The engine revs freely and car feels quicker. I'll let you know more once road conditions improve. Snowing like a basterd here now.
Old 01-03-2009 | 05:34 PM
Instructor

Picked up the car yesterday and drove it for 50 miles of snow covered roads ....not great testing conditions. Clutch feels very similar to stock except very smooth and no noise from the f'ing release bearing. Lightweight exedy HF02 flywheel feels like a great improvement over stock. The engine revs freely and car feels quicker. I'll let you know more once road conditions improve. Snowing like a basterd here now.
Had some more time behind the wheel and definately happy with the new set-up. Flywheel is great improvement over OEM.
Had a problem with the left side axle seal leaking tranny oil after the clutch swap. It appears that the axle shaft was not locked/snapped into position so it must have poped out enough to allow tranny oil to pass by the seal and the axle shaft spun the oil up under the car....really messy and hard to clean up in these cold and snowy conditions. Tranny shop knew what the problem was and snapped the axle shaft back in and hopefully the seal is good now. Its hard to know until I can get the oil cleaned up.
Old 01-04-2009 | 04:58 PM
Drifting

^^ Did they use new clip rings on the shafts? I had the tranny replaced on my old Legend and the shop neglected to put new clip rings on when they did it. Had the stupid shaft pop out twice before they went back and fixed it for real. Left me stranded the first time too before I figured out what the problem was.
Old 01-07-2009 | 09:37 AM
Professional Newbie

Hey guys sorry it took me a few days to get back, I just started a new job...

I'm glad to hear that the lightweight flywheel feels like an improvement in the car. How does the clutch feel compared to stock? Does it engage at the same point? Harder to push in? Pop out faster?

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the leak!