dzuy's impression of tein flex.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dzuy's impression of tein flex.

well i've had the tein flex for a few days. i figured it's time to give another writeup. [paying attention dan?

on monday night, speed distributors installed comptech i/h/e and we installed the teins in last. the edfc is still not on, but i'm planning to go home early today and get that done.

installation:
speed distributors say that the teins were the easiest install they have ever done. the total time spent on installation was around 45 mins. you have to fold down the rear seats and remove the sides of the rear seats to get access to the rear struts. i didn't see them take off the seats, but i know they had to remove one screw that holds the side down.

since it was so late at night - we didn't adjust the height or the dampening. the default setting of the height made the car the same height all the way around. i can't tell if it was higher or lower than the eibach pro kits. there is roughly a 2 finger gap in the front, a 1.5 finger gap in the rear. we left it there to see if the suspension settles to a lower height. it looks like it did - it now looks slightly lower than it was when i had the pro kits on. it's still too high for my taste, i plan on lowering the car to the top of each tire.

btw, the default setting of the fle coilovers is at 0 (stiffest). i didn't realize that b/c i haven't had time to look at the car, i've been xmas shopping. to the important stuff now.

impression:
at the stiffest settng, steering is super responsive, the feedback from the slightest adjustment of the steering wheel can be felt. the car feels nimble around turns, i def. felt a lot safer cornering harder w/ the teins than i did w/ the eibachs. the steering feels very tight and controlled, the car feels like it's on rails.

however, on the streets, the suspension is WAY TOO STIFF! i hit a small dip in the road, and it made a painful LOUD BAM! i thought my car was goin to break. it's hard even to push down on the car and make it move. EVERY little bump can be felt, and it was real evident at night, i could see my headlights reflecting off other cars bumpers. the car dips down quickly, but jumps right back up. no bouncing. i guess to simulate it, just sit in a seat, push down really hard then push yourself back up really quick.

at first, it's kinda cool - but after more than 10 minutes, i got a headache. driving at the stiffest setting felt like a nightmare. it's way too harsh - it feels like there is NO suspension.

but on smooth surfaces - and hard turning - it feels wonderful. the car has absolutely no sway and def. no body roll. period.

last night, i adjusted all four coilovers to the softest setting (16). boy does the car feel great to drive again! the ride quality is excellent on the street - imagine eibach pro kits w/ a tighter and better responsive shock. that's what the tein flex offers. the car does not bounce at all. the car dips in the bump, then gradually rebounds, as opposed to the rapid rebound the stiff setting had.

steering response does not feel as good as the stiffest setting. it now feels sloppy compared to what the stiff setting had. and you can feel the car body's roll slightly compared to setting 0.

but for normal everyday driving - it feels wonderful - a dream. i dont know how long the flex will be able to ride smoothly - after all - all shocks will give in the end. i'm hoping that the tein flex kit, since it was designed as a whole - will outlive any spring/shock combo.

only a long term test will answer that tho.

conclusion:
the stiffest setting is way too harsh on the road. it handles great tho.
the softest setting is perfect for normal street driving. handles as well as it did, if not slightly better, than the car w/ the eibach pro kits. but driving experience is improved over pro kit/stock shock combo. def. not as bouncy.

EDFC : could live w/o it.
i plan to keep my car at the softest setting. the ride is still harsher than stock - but it's more comfortable than the pro kits were. also, i plan on not replacing that screw that holds the side of the rear seat. it doesn't move anyway, it clips into place. that way, the rear struts are readily accessible. all you have to do is to:

1. fold down rear seat
2. slide the sides of the seat straight up
3. adjust dampening.

if i would have known it would have been that easy, i'd probably not ordered the edfc. the front struts are really really easy to adjust - all you have to do is open your hood

you dont even have to use the tool that tein provides, i can turn it w/ my hand.

1. remove rubber cap over adjustment spindle
2. adjust
3. replace rubber cap.

that easy.

looking back - the edfc is not neccessary and i wouldn't recomment buying it. that being said - i already opened the package and i plan on keeping it, probably it's only purpose to me is - eye candy.

believe me, the softest setting is still pretty stiff.

hope that helps everyone, any more questions or comments/concerns - post here.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

what to sell me the EDFC?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by xizor
what to sell me the EDFC?
nope

seriously tho - the rear struts are so easy to get to. that was my main reason on justifyin buying the edfc - i thought it would be a bitch to adjust the dampening for the rear.

last night it took us roughly 10 min to adjust all 4.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Quattro in.....

Thanks for the write up dzuy!

Ok, so edfc is not really worth it if you only use your TSX for normal driving and will more than likely keep it at one setting.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Viking
Thanks for the write up dzuy!

Ok, so edfc is not really worth it if you only use your TSX for normal driving and will more than likely keep it at one setting.
exactly. in hindsight - i could have spent the 300 USD better elsewhere.

i don't know how any of the middle settings feel like - i've only had it on the two extremes.

i feel that the edfc was a waste of my hard earned money. i do think it's cool - but 300USD? imo - you dont need it. unless you track your car every weekend and plan to change the settings regularly. i dont. esp after driving for two days with the stiffest setting.

i hated it on the street. no lie.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

how hard is it to adjust the rears? I know jtso had to make a custom knob to turn his koni's, how are the tein's adjusted? is it that easy to fit your hand in that tiny space, or do you have little asian hands
Old 12-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the Tein top mount height is shorter to accommodate the EDFC. Therefore, it would be a lot easier to perform manual adjustment. The Koni on the other hand is normal mount height, which creates very limited space above the adjuster.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

how hard is it to adjust the rears? I know jtso had to make a custom knob to turn his koni's, how are the tein's adjusted? is it that easy to fit your hand in that tiny space, or do you have little asian hands
it is pretty easy. you can't use the tein tool, b/c the plastic crap where the speakers mount is in the way.

you can use a hex key set, but i got my hands in there fine.

little asian hands eh?

good thing i have trout to slap you with instead of my asian hand
Old 12-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
dzuy and that trout...

Nice write-up. You should just install the EDFC so you can impress your friends.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
I believe the Tein top mount height is shorter to accommodate the EDFC. Therefore, it would be a lot easier to perform manual adjustment. The Koni on the other hand is normal mount height, which creates very limited space above the adjuster.
is it possible to adjust the settings on the konis without modding that adjustment knob? i haven't tried it, i just left my settings they way they were.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Nope, not possible for the rear. However, another option is to drill a hole on the top cover where it lines up with the top of the adjuster. Then insert the Koni adjuster or a custom tool from the top to adjust. When finished, cover the hole with a plastic/rubber plug.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Race Director

NIce writeup
Old 12-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

With the EDFC, can you adjust them while driving?

It'd be cool to change it to a stiffer setting while on the highway, and softer on local roads. (Of course, don't forget the coolness factor.)
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks dzuy, good writeup.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
With the EDFC, can you adjust them while driving?

It'd be cool to change it to a stiffer setting while on the highway, and softer on local roads. (Of course, don't forget the coolness factor.)

yes, you can adjust on the fly. the manual says that you shouldn't but you can. just make sure you dont take your eyes off the road.

you dont want it too stiff on the highway - being too stiff sucks dude.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Thanks dzuy, good writeup.
no prob

Old 12-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
NIce writeup
hehe.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dzuy

you dont want it too stiff on the highway - being too stiff sucks dude.
That's not what she said...
Old 12-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

in that case, being stifff rules!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Does EDFC work for that to?

Old 12-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you aren't really thinking about using the EDFC, just sell it to xizor pretty soon or something. If you plan on keeping it, just set it up on the 3 available stored settings for something along the lines of :

1. when you want to drive hard and not give a shit about the stiffness
2. when you want to drive with a little more stiffness than the softest setting for normal driving
3. long drive on the highway softness

Adaptive damping is great. You can make the car think that it has better weight distribution than it really has when it comes to its handling characteristics. That's why you bought the EDFC in the first place isn't it?

Good write-up either way.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

do you think in retrospect if you're not going to use the adjustability that much you'd be better off w/ the tein basic or SS? it seems the pillowball mount of the flex makes the ride even more stiff.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

thx Duzy .. ~ that's some helpful info ...
waiting for ur EDFC review ~
Old 12-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Thanks for the write up I'm wondering if it'll be worth getting the flex vs SS since EDFC isn't worth it. And maybe since the softest setting seems to be the bests bet for 99% of driving, why not the basics? Maybe just having the option of more freedom is better. Time to start saving...
Old 12-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

how hard is it to adjust the rears?

here is a pic of the rear struts.

to adjust:
1. fold down seats
2. slide sides of rear seat straight up
3. remove rubber cap from strut.
4. adjust
5. replace rubber car
6. replace side of rear seat
7. fold up rear seat.

hope that helps. please note that the edfc is not installed
Old 12-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

to adjust:
1. fold down seats
2. slide sides of rear seat straight up
3. remove rubber cap from strut.
4. adjust
5. replace rubber car
6. replace side of rear seat
7. fold up rear seat.
thanks! so what to you adjust the strut with, a allen wrench or special tool? And does the strut click, how do you know what setting you're on if its not at an extreme?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i slammed the tsx tonite.

we lowered it one inch all the way around. it's not hard to lower it, but it sure is time consuming.

we lowered the front one inch first, and there was about a one finger gap - exactly where i wanted it to sit, but after lowering the rear one inch, it also lowered the front too.

w/ the softest setting, and only me in the car, it didn't rub. but when my friend got in the passenger seat - it rubs even on small bumps. kinda annoying.

then i adjusted the edfc at the middle setting - 8 in the front - 8 in the rear - and it still rubbed on small bumps and medium turns.

then i set the edfc at the stiffest setting - no rubbing - even under hard turning. i guess the edfc served a purpose after all.

but i will raise the car up - but it looks so damn good low.

any comments?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dzuy, looks damn good and glad to hear edfc assisted with the rubbing issue. i pulled my accord out of the garage today, tranny is still messed up, but i tossed it around my neighborhood for a bit, i got the Tein(HA) Driving Master setup on it. I still love the way my accord with the Tein's handle vs. my stock TSX. Soon as I get some $$ saved up I will be getting some Teins' for the TSX as well
Old 01-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks! so what to you adjust the strut with, a allen wrench or special tool? And does the strut click, how do you know what setting you're on if its not at an extreme?
xizor,

it comes with a tool for you to use to adjust the strut, i believe it's just like an allen wrench, but you can just turn the dial with your finger. I can post some pics for you tomorrow or if dzuy has some available he can possibly post them up?

From Tein's website, you can see the tool

also with the strut click setting, there's really no way to tell what setting it's on unless you start at one extreme and count the clicks. I guess in a way EDFC has it's advantages as the click settings are displayed on the screen of the EDFC.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

sexy ... ~~ i like the look ... and good to heard that the EDFC really does its job ~ ;D
Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks phat man!!! Can we get some side shots too?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

ooo. let me just say that lowering the tein flex one inch with 19" wheels is too low. the car rides fantastic - it's hard to believe that my car is lowered - it's so smooth. i have it on the softest setting now - it feels GREAT! the suspension is incredible.

even with my extreme lowering the tein flex holds out well!!! but on the highway this morning coming into work - moderate bumps in the road would cause my car to rub. so i'm goin to have to raise it a little bit. what a shame. it looks so good slammed

i'm so impressed with this setup - i would turn everyone away from getting springs alone now. i thought that the eibach pro kits w/ stock shocks felt smooth for a lowered ride - but the tein flex is so INCREDIBLE!!! it feels close to stock quality - the eibach pro kits SUCKED compared to the ride quality of the tein.

tein flex =
Old 01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
cmf
ATCer

It does look good being lowered more. I hope you got a camber kit coming soon, and an alignment done. With that drop, you'll be wearing out your tires in no time, and with no alignment and that much of a drop, your car is gonna be all over the road, very unsafe if you ask me.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by cmf
It does look good being lowered more. I hope you got a camber kit coming soon, and an alignment done. With that drop, you'll be wearing out your tires in no time, and with no alignment and that much of a drop, your car is gonna be all over the road, very unsafe if you ask me.
i'll get a camber kit when my tires are dead

i'm raising it today when i get home. too low for my blood!

i'm goin to start camber kit fund.

who wants to chip in? i'll stop hitting you with trout!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

last night we raised the car another 1/4inch. so the car is now lowered 3/4 inch lower than the default setting by tein.

the car has no wheel gap whatsoever - but it is still too low. on moderate dips in the road, my front passenger wheel rubs the rubber splash gaurd.

what a pain in the ass.

i'm goin to raise the car another 1/4 inch, that means the car will be lower than tein default by about .5 inch, which is roughly a 2 inch drop.

still riding on the softest setting - damn, i can't believe how smooth the tein flex is. it's incredible.

simply amazing. wish i would have bought the tein flex a long time ago.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

....the car has no wheel gap whatsoever - but it is still too low. on moderate dips in the road, my front passenger wheel rubs the rubber splash gaurd....
So is it too low that you don't like the way it looks, or is it just the rubbing that's a problem? Can't you just increase the jounce damping? I think the problem is that you're on the softest setting.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
So is it too low that you don't like the way it looks, or is it just the rubbing that's a problem? Can't you just increase the jounce damping? I think the problem is that you're on the softest setting.
nah i like it. it's too low. i had it on several different settings. it has to be almost full stiff for it not to rub.

it only rubs on moderate dips on uneven road when i have a passenger. i can zoom all over the road myself and it wont scrape or rub.

a little stiff isn't too bad - but i cant drive around on the stiffest setting everyday. it's way too harsh on the road.

i think another quarter inch up would fix all my problems. right now i have NO wheel gap at all - the top of the tires is tucked into the fenderwell.

my ideal height is a one finger gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fenderwell. then i can keep my softest setting
Old 01-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

....my ideal height is a one finger gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fenderwell. then i can keep my softest setting
Do Teins wear out like normal shocks do? What happens when they get old?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
Do Teins wear out like normal shocks do? What happens when they get old?
all shocks will eventually die out. the stiffer the setting of the shock - the quicker the shock will die.

teins will obviously last longer than the stock shock w/ lowering springs - and the ride quality is unbelievable.

certain tein coilovers can be rebiult. the tein flex is one of them, i'm not sure if the cheaper SS dampers is bebuildable or not.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

....certain tein coilovers can be rebiult. the tein flex is one of them....
Good to know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: dzuy's impression of tein flex.