Drivers side seat is uncomfortable

Old 11-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Drivers side seat is uncomfortable

Does anyone feel that the driver's side seat seems uncomfortable
in the lower to mid back portion. I'm not sure if it is because of the lumber support stuff inside the seat in that area but for some reason my back never seems to feel very cushy in that area.

I'm already considering buying some aftermarket seats but i'd hate to lose the heated seat option. Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:53 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Does anything about this lumbar cushion accessory from Sparco?

http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_accessories.asp?id=365

Is that something that is compatible with out seats?
Old 11-16-2003, 06:12 PM
spc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same feeling as you. But I think I still can live with it. Maybe adjust the seat a little bit more upright might help.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Instructor

I adjusted my seat quite a bit when I first got the car, I think i'm getting used to it now, but I still move around in my seat from time to time to try to get in a better position. It's like it has too many adjustments

btw: JiggaMan, how is your windshield/dash rattle? Did whatever they replaced fix it so far in the long term?
Old 11-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Dirty in the South

I noticed this as well. I drove from Hattiesburg, MS to St. Louis (600 miles) and my back was killing me for my entire stay. I put on the seat warmers which helped a little, but the fact that the seats themselves are uncomfortable still remains. I realized that on that trip I sat more upright than usual. This is also the case on the 100 mile trip from Jackson, MS to Hattiesburg. When I'm not on long trips, though, I ride in a more reclined position. It seems that this is more comfortable
Old 11-17-2003, 03:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Bigbird
I noticed this as well. I drove from Hattiesburg, MS to St. Louis (600 miles) and my back was killing me for my entire stay. I put on the seat warmers which helped a little, but the fact that the seats themselves are uncomfortable still remains. I realized that on that trip I sat more upright than usual. This is also the case on the 100 mile trip from Jackson, MS to Hattiesburg. When I'm not on long trips, though, I ride in a more reclined position. It seems that this is more comfortable
\

Its fine to me. The passenger seat is another story, very uncomfortable and low.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by domn
\

Its fine to me. The passenger seat is another story, very uncomfortable and low.
ditto

It did take me a while to adjust it perfectly for me - more upright than I'm used to. Now I find it very comfortable.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:58 AM
10th Gear

I thought the unconfortable feeling was me!!
I've had the same experience. I keep moving in the seat looking for a better position. May be the design of the seat??
I tried the new TL's seat and is totally a different feeling, much much better. Can the TL seat fit in my car? I wonder.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:50 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i can't seem to find a comfortable position no matter how hard i try. never had this problem before with other cars. it's really the only negative thing that i have to say about this car.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
To resurrect a dead thread, has anyone found a lumbar pillow/wedge that works. Any updates?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I spend 2 much time here

i remember this thread! overtime i have gotten used to the drivers seat and dont find it uncomfortable. so there is hope!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i remember this thread! overtime i have gotten used to the drivers seat and dont find it uncomfortable. so there is hope!
Good to hear. The main problem I have is that even with the lumbar all the way off (no lumbar support) there is still too much padding in the upper back area and not enough in the very lower (real lumbar) area. It makes your upper back stick out too much and your lower back is unsupported. I want to just smash the foam that is near my upper back because it is too tough and protruding.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ Maybe you need to tilt the seat back a little bit
Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

i have noticed something to the lower left side but not on the back side nd i have sat in the passenger seat nd that one feels better im uncomfortable a lot when i drive the tl seats are better oh well
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

i really thought it was just me better after reading all of these replys im shocked nd is there a reason the passenger seat is so much comfortable im constantly moving my seat nd so uncomfortable the tls is 100% better
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same feeling when my TSX was brand new. It wasn't the lumbar but I just couldn't get into a comfortable position no matter how I adjusted the seat. It took a couple of months but now the seat is fine. I'm not sure whether the seat softened up for me or if I got used to the seat or both. Have a little patience, the seat should "wear in".
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I find the seats of my 06 tsx very comfortable-100% better than my mom's honda accord . I am in the car for a long time-driving from nc to nj alot. (700 miles one way)
Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
I had the same feeling when my TSX was brand new. It wasn't the lumbar but I just couldn't get into a comfortable position no matter how I adjusted the seat. It took a couple of months but now the seat is fine. I'm not sure whether the seat softened up for me or if I got used to the seat or both. Have a little patience, the seat should "wear in".
I agree, not so much in the sense that it wears in more so that you get use to it. What I did was kept working the steering wheel angle and the seat positing until I found the right combination. Me not being that tall it took quite some time. All and all the seats in the TSX are great, sporty but comfortable, noticeable difference from sitting in my Camry to the MDX. To sum it up, give it some time and play around with the different configurations, let the seat and yourself get use to it.

btw; this thread is really old!!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Race Director

i had a thread on this too. now, not really, the seats are fine. just wish the leather was softer like the ones in the MDX and TL. even my dad's G35 leather seats are nicer and comfy.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jottle
Good to hear. The main problem I have is that even with the lumbar all the way off (no lumbar support) there is still too much padding in the upper back area and not enough in the very lower (real lumbar) area. It makes your upper back stick out too much and your lower back is unsupported. I want to just smash the foam that is near my upper back because it is too tough and protruding.
I agree that the lumbar support in the seat is not low enough to be real lumbar support.

When I test drove the TSX I was very disappointed in the seat's comfort; however, after a while of owning the car I found the seats to be comfortable even on long drives.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hooraysimpsons
I agree that the lumbar support in the seat is not low enough to be real lumbar support.

When I test drove the TSX I was very disappointed in the seat's comfort; however, after a while of owning the car I found the seats to be comfortable even on long drives.
I've pretty much tried moving the seat in all sorts of positions. It's just that the rear lumbar (or whatever you want to call it) is still just too firm. My back aches if I'm in the car for more than 15 minutes. It really puts your spine in an odd position. I'll just see if my body adjusts to it. That seems to be the consensus here.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

For some reason my friends 06'tsx seats adjust and feels more comfortable than 04. I am always moving to find a good driving position like every other day.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Instructor

Am I the only one that absolutely loves this seat? The sole reason I didn't buy a TL-S was because the seat felt like it was 2" too wide. The TSX seat fits me perfectly.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Populuxe
Am I the only one that absolutely loves this seat? The sole reason I didn't buy a TL-S was because the seat felt like it was 2" too wide. The TSX seat fits me perfectly.
No you are not alone-I love it-extremely comfortable-even on long drives.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ptown_tsXXX
For some reason my friends 06'tsx seats adjust and feels more comfortable than 04. I am always moving to find a good driving position like every other day.
I had my driver seat cover replaced under warranty about a year ago (maybe more, too lazy to look it up). The replacement cover seemed to be softer than the original cover that came with my 04. I believe the replacement was 06 vintage meaning that the 06 and later models probably come with softer seats than my 04. Just my
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Pro

I had my driver seat cover replaced under warranty about a year ago (maybe more, too lazy to look it up). The replacement cover seemed to be softer than the original cover that came with my 04. I believe the replacement was 06 vintage meaning that the 06 and later models probably come with softer seats than my 04. Just my
What was the warranty issue that allowed you to get your seat replaced for free?

I just got an 07' tsx loaner today, and it has a much more comfy seat than my 06. I don't think they've changed the design of the seat since the 06 model, so my bet is that my discomfort with my 06 seat has to do with it not being broken in that much yet. The 07 loaner has probably seen a lot of use over its 12,000 miles, and the seat spring in the back are nice and comfy. What do you guys think? Have the seats changed at all since 06? I'm thinking about putting some weight on the back of my seat when it is all the way reclined in order to get it broken in quicker. My 06 has 14k miles, but it all feels brand new, as if the previous owner barely used the damn thing. I think I just need to wear in the back of the seat more so t hat the springs give.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

What was the warranty issue that allowed you to get your seat replaced for free?
The side of the seat developed a blue stain right along the seam. From the discussion on this board we determined that Acura had marked the cut lines on the inside with blue ink which eventually bled through the material. I showed it to the service rep and explained what it was. He said it was no problem and that they would take care of it. They ordered a new seat cover that day and I came back the following week to have it installed, all under warranty. If you want to search on "blue stain" you'll likely find the thread where this was discussed.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 AM
it's a car-drive it

The side of the seat developed a blue stain right along the seam. From the discussion on this board we determined that Acura had marked the cut lines on the inside with blue ink which eventually bled through the material. I showed it to the service rep and explained what it was. He said it was no problem and that they would take care of it. They ordered a new seat cover that day and I came back the following week to have it installed, all under warranty. If you want to search on "blue stain" you'll likely find the thread where this was discussed.
the seat cover on my 06 tsx was replaced under warranty last month. The driver's side was assaulted by a sharp object causing deep scratches. I have a excellent dealer that replaced it for me.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Cruisin'

Wow. I'm glad that people are talking about this cuz I thought it was just me as well. You guys are right, the lumbar is too high and lower back is not supported enough. My old '98 Corolla seat was more comfortable than the TSX. I started to notice back pain after about 2 weeks of driving the car and now have some back pain if I drive the car for more than 30 minutes. Any ideas from people who have had this problem and have resolved it (positions or a lumbar pillow) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm annoyed that this wasn't thought of when they designed the car. I expected more from Honda than this.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Cruisin'

Just to add.... I was just on www.vtec.net and it seems that some new Accord owners are having the same issue.

www.vtec.net
Old 01-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by brighton
Wow. I'm glad that people are talking about this cuz I thought it was just me as well. You guys are right, the lumbar is too high and lower back is not supported enough. My old '98 Corolla seat was more comfortable than the TSX. I started to notice back pain after about 2 weeks of driving the car and now have some back pain if I drive the car for more than 30 minutes. Any ideas from people who have had this problem and have resolved it (positions or a lumbar pillow) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm annoyed that this wasn't thought of when they designed the car. I expected more from Honda than this.
I feel for your brighton. My thoughts exactly! No real lower back support here. And my back aches every day. Another forum member recommended a standard memory foam lumbar pillow. He said it worked for him, and that he eventually had an upholstery shop install the pillow underneath the leather seat cover. Here is a link to the kind off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-3lb-Memory...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Pro

Just to add.... I was just on www.vtec.net and it seems that some new Accord owners are having the same issue.

www.vtec.net

can you link to some threads?

thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Cruisin'

can you link to some threads?

thanks
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=734897

Thanks also for the Ebay link. I'll definitely check that out. Have you tried that as well or other remedies or do you just put up with it?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=734897

Thanks also for the Ebay link. I'll definitely check that out. Have you tried that as well or other remedies or do you just put up with it?
The cushion is in the mail. I'll let you know how it feels. I haven't found any remedy.
It might just take a couple 1,000k of driving to wear in the seat to an acceptable level. However, I hate to say that I doubt the seat will ever be "comfortable" for me.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Hope it works out for you. I'll let you know what I end up doing as well, but I'll probably end up getting a similar cushion. I saw that Brookstone's has them as well and may try one of those since I can go down to their store to at least try it out.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

has anyone ever thought that we got TOTALLY RIPPED OFF? i mean come on 30 gs for a car with that lacks power horrible torque and yet theres barely any parts that we can modify it without spending 4 or 5 gs for A SUPERCHARGER and now the tsx a luxury sport cars seats suck ass! i know i am never comfortable sitting i get comfortable then i start to get this feeling that the left side of me is falling off or sumthing lol oh well i still love much car everyday just feel a little ripped off
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Cruisin'

Angry

Originally Posted by tsx4lyfe
has anyone ever thought that we got TOTALLY RIPPED OFF? i mean come on 30 gs for a car with that lacks power horrible torque and yet theres barely any parts that we can modify it without spending 4 or 5 gs for A SUPERCHARGER and now the tsx a luxury sport cars seats suck ass! i know i am never comfortable sitting i get comfortable then i start to get this feeling that the left side of me is falling off or sumthing lol oh well i still love much car everyday just feel a little ripped off
I totally hear you. Don't get me wrong, I love the car (seat aside), but if I can't find something that will fix this then I will be driving my TSX to another dealership and trading it in for something else. And I will never buy another Honda or Acura again. The back pain is unacceptable.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Isn't "TOTALLY RIPPED OFF" a little strong? I mean, you did test drive the car right? Did a little research? Did someone twist your arm to make you buy the TSX?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Every time this kid says something it's completely idiotic. Poor little kid being forced to drive a beater like the TSX.

Lyfez a bytch y0!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
6MT or Death

has anyone ever thought that we got TOTALLY RIPPED OFF? i mean come on 30 gs...
Short of those people who received lemon TSXs, I believe you are completely alone in this statement. BTW, your posts hurt my brain. I'm not asking for a miracle, but I'll drop a five spot for a comma, ten for a period.

You could always show your post to the people that bought the car for you and see how they feel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers side seat is uncomfortable