Dohcgarage Header Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwjustin89
Dude there is no exhaust leak. Its the way the flex pipe is. The flex pipe is like the DC header where there is no mesh on the inner side. Hence the hiss. The DC header hisses just like this one. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.
exactly....i thought he understood that and saying there's still leak or something

why would it get worse over time if it's meant to be that way?......

joerockt u should read review from here
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=3
they obviously think DC make good product the only downside is the wield and ceramic ......and topspeed "fixed" that
Old 08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyotousa
exactly....i thought he understood that and saying there's still leak or something

why would it get worse over time if it's meant to be that way?......

joerockt u should read review from here
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=3
they obviously think DC make good product the only downside is the wield and ceramic ......and topspeed "fixed" that
Uhhh, thats for a Comptech header...But please, if you guys want to buy a cheap piece of shit, dont let me stop you...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Racer

Cheap POS? Dude it's the same EXACT header as the DC header, but with stainless steel and TIG wields. I suppose you would prefer the shitty MIG wielding on the DC header that it known to fall apart? Or maybe you would prefer paying an arm and a leg for something that says "Comptech." The header is a no name header, sure. But it does get the job done and has proven to me so far that it's quality. Hell, the gains as posted by the thread starter is the highest of any header. I guess the thread starter lied with his dyno sheets
Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joerockt
Uhhh, thats for a Comptech header...But please, if you guys want to buy a cheap piece of shit, dont let me stop you...
i guess you didn't even read lol
there's link for DC header.....
it's a DC header in stainless steel with better weld....

how much u think DC and Comptech's exhaust's material and labor cost
the main cost is R&D.....and topspeed just pirated....hence cheap POS
maybe topspeed should have copied Comptech and then we'll be discussing about the rattle
then you'll call it POS too
Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Yohan

Lol lets cool down a bit. You have only 2 choices, the rich one or the poor one. If you got cash, comptech and dc are the way to go, but if not then try this one. Dont just judge the performance and quality from the prices alone. Remember even if it is made in PRC, when it comes to making a header which is relatively simple they can do as good as others with much cheaper labor costs.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Yohan

just got my header! will do install next Friday. Overall I am impressed of the quality and material. The flex pipe has another sort of layer inside. No problems in welds and joints.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Skater, Gentleman, Sniper

Well,

I impulse purchased this pup today from Topspeed (Ebay). I all of the sudden realized that this header is now sub $200 (assuming it goes well), and on E-Bay you can get the Typhoon for about $200...which means that with Hondata (not ordered yet) I'm barely at a cool $G and hooking myself up with 40 extra ponies and 40 extra lb*ft at 6000 rpm where I can use it....its a no brainer.

I have a feeling this will turn into a mod-rush...I also want to tint and blue LED among other things like UL pulleys. Bought this mint '04 Navi w/ 30k miles in June. Came with the OEM body kit and installed K-40...all it really needs is a lil kick.

I'll post my thoughts on the header in a couple of weeks. The guy living next to me seems to work for a tuning shop (based on the ad on his truck) so mebbe I can get some dyno time.

L8
Old 08-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Got Milk???

comon people, install them and give us your thoughts and opinions, pictures will help too. we need more feedbacks to verify the built quality of this header.

KC
Old 08-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing nice about the DC header is that the ports on the cylinder head flange are oval shaped to match the exhaust ports on the cylinder head. Also the header/flange ports are very smooth on the inside, better than the OEM exhaust manifold.

I've seen cheap headers where the ports on the flange don't match the exhaust ports on the cylinder head. Just another thing to look out for.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by WECoyote13
Well,

I impulse purchased this pup today from Topspeed (Ebay). I all of the sudden realized that this header is now sub $200 (assuming it goes well), and on E-Bay you can get the Typhoon for about $200...which means that with Hondata (not ordered yet) I'm barely at a cool $G and hooking myself up with 40 extra ponies and 40 extra lb*ft at 6000 rpm where I can use it....its a no brainer.

I have a feeling this will turn into a mod-rush...I also want to tint and blue LED among other things like UL pulleys. Bought this mint '04 Navi w/ 30k miles in June. Came with the OEM body kit and installed K-40...all it really needs is a lil kick.

I'll post my thoughts on the header in a couple of weeks. The guy living next to me seems to work for a tuning shop (based on the ad on his truck) so mebbe I can get some dyno time.

L8
I doubt we're talking anything close to 40 HP here, top end. With hondata especially there will be significant mid-range gains, but 40 top is pushing it. I will get an after-dyno after i'm done with the next upgrade, but it won't be with the header alone.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Skater, Gentleman, Sniper

yea if not clear I meant 40 hp gain with header, intake, and Hondata... and at 6000 rpm, not top end. The Hondata site graphs illustrate at least that. I will probably also spring for pulleys.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by kwjustin89
Cheap POS? Dude it's the same EXACT header as the DC header, but with stainless steel and TIG wields. I suppose you would prefer the shitty MIG wielding on the DC header that it known to fall apart? Or maybe you would prefer paying an arm and a leg for something that says "Comptech." The header is a no name header, sure. But it does get the job done and has proven to me so far that it's quality. Hell, the gains as posted by the thread starter is the highest of any header. I guess the thread starter lied with his dyno sheets
Just FYI, there is more to a header than just pipe size and welds. Yes it may look like the DC header but it doesn't mean it flows like the DC header or the Comptech header.

Headers make more power in 3 different ways:

1. Using gas column inertia pulse tuning to assist in evacuating the cylinder during the exhaust stroke

2. Acoustic pressure wave resonance tuning - pulls fresh A/F mixture into the cylinder during the overlap period

3. Reduction in back pressure - typically contributes the least of the 3 to hp gain

And DC Sports is one of the few companies who actually manufacturers their headers with all these in mind. DCS is also one of the few to have mass produced their headers with a merged collector. So don't just go based on some welding you see. And it isn't the exact same thing as DCS.

Secondly, don't attack Comptech. Comptech does tons of R&D for Honda/Acura vehicles and makes top notch products. Don't prove your product by dowing others, esp. ones who make the market very appealing for your vehicle.

If you like your Chinese replica, fine, be happy with it; it's a good bang for the buck. But keep in mind you get what you pay for.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:01 PM
New to Modding Cars

I thought the tsx had about 200hp. why are you only pushing 150 stock?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Just FYI, there is more to a header than just pipe size and welds. Yes it may look like the DC header but it doesn't mean it flows like the DC header or the Comptech header.

1. Using gas column inertia pulse tuning to assist in evacuating the cylinder during the exhaust stroke

2. Acoustic pressure wave resonance tuning - pulls fresh A/F mixture into the cylinder during the overlap period

3. Reduction in back pressure - typically contributes the least of the 3 to hp gain

And DC Sports is one of the few companies who actually manufacturers their headers with all these in mind. DCS is also one of the few to have mass produced their headers with a merged collector. So don't just go based on some welding you see. And it isn't the exact same thing as DCS.

Secondly, don't attack Comptech. Comptech does tons of R&D for Honda/Acura vehicles and makes top notch products. Don't prove your product by dowing others, esp. ones who make the market very appealing for your vehicle.

If you like your Chinese replica, fine, be happy with it; it's a good bang for the buck. But keep in mind you get what you pay for.
you tell 'em!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KapVu

Old 08-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

200hp != 200whp

many car manufacturers claim the motor will produce X amount of horsepower but that horsepower making it to the wheels is a different story...take into consideration the type of trannsmission you are using etc...

so the tsx motor is claimed to generate 200hp but the actual wheel horsepower will be a bit less anywhere between 150-170whp
Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
New to Modding Cars

yeah i am a newbie. sorry, but now i understand. what headers do you guys recommend? i see a lot of you guys talking about dc and comptech. any preference?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Racer

yeah i am a newbie. sorry, but now i understand. what headers do you guys recommend? i see a lot of you guys talking about dc and comptech. any preference?

do a search there is lots of info on both!
the dc had issues when it first came out but that is fixed now. I think the comptech ones have had some rattle issues but I don´t think it´s something that´s gonna bother you too much.
both are good quality, the comptech one is better I believe but it also costs more.

both have similar gains I believe.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Or the Topspeed header, which we've been discussing for 10+ pages here man...
Old 08-18-2006, 01:38 AM
10th Gear

You get what you pay for with many things, yes. However, price generally reflects either demand and/or production costs. A copy made in China (assuming it is based on a DC header) will have little or no R&D costs -- they would have copied the original exactly (China has no copyright restrictions -- they just copy everything! I've seen exact copy Chinese-made "Honda" scooters in Vietnam). China will also have cheaper materials and much cheaper labour.

It's the same reason Nike manufacture shoes in Indonesia or why most clothing is made in India or China -- production costs are cheaper.

Just because something made in China has a cheaper price, doesn't necessarily mean that it is of inferior quality.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Racer

Yes, I know this. I didn't mean to "bash" Comptech btw. I am just saying. Out of the headers presently available for the TSX, the Comptech has the least gains and costs the most....that's all I was really trying to point out. And I know there is more to a header than wields and such, but this header has obviously been dyno proven by the threadstarter to get the most gains out of any TSX header. Obviously, this header was designed right and is inexpensive. Good bang for the buck.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
Nice gain! It sure looks like the DC header.
no i believe their the stainless steal comptech headers
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 AM
Yohan

Just got this header installed. Nice gain and improvement for only $200!! This now becomes together with Injen CAI in the gain on a reasonably priced mod list!! Low end torque is improved. Coupled with CAI the car is much powerful than stock.

Since it only costs $200, its a good investment. The quality is very good and I can guarantee it wont break like the DC. It is robust. And when you want to sell it, you can sell it for $ 100 and lose only $100! With the comptech. It costs $530 and when you want to sell it for $300, you lose $230! Unlike the copy SS header, you have to be very careful not to scratch it or leave any fingerprints on it.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by curik_euro
Just got this header installed. Nice gain and improvement for only $200!! This now becomes together with Injen CAI in the gain on a reasonably priced mod list!! Low end torque is improved. Coupled with CAI the car is much powerful than stock.

Since it only costs $200, its a good investment. The quality is very good and I can guarantee it wont break like the DC. It is robust. And when you want to sell it, you can sell it for $ 100 and lose only $100! With the comptech. It costs $530 and when you want to sell it for $300, you lose $230! Unlike the copy SS header, you have to be very careful not to scratch it or leave any fingerprints on it.

please give us more detailed review of what you think of this header. I'm sure many members are looking to hear this as well.

things like how does it sound, louder? if yes, how lmuch louder and what kinda sound.

highend power and low end feeling, etc etc. thanks

KC
Old 08-19-2006, 04:27 AM
Yohan

Thats what I think. one of the best gain on a reasonably priced mod. Coupled with the Injen, I was not able to hear the sound. There is just a hissing sound when you apply the throttle. The hissing will not bother you if you have CAI or SRI. But for a completely stock intake you will notice louder sound of the engine breathing (CAI produces sound of engine sucking the air so its not the same sound). Torque and power can be felt in all rpm ranges. Taking off now becomes easier, and when you WOT, you will feel that the car is different to stock.

How much louder? Exactly as stock if you are cruising or idling. And just a bit louder when accelerating. The hissing sound does not sound like a snake, its not high pitched like a supercharger whine, so it wont hurt your ears.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by curik_euro
...and I can guarantee it wont break like the DC...
Old 08-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ You've had it for a week, its a bit early to make such bold statements.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Instructor

i'm the thread starter...... still have this header on my car... examined it yesterday, no cracks, or anything...looks pretty much good as new.. added a k&n drop in filter since then and did an oil change.... since i did an oil change a few weeks before installed the header and i just recently did one mean i added about 3000k miles on it....the hissing noise i guess has become a normality....i dont' really hear it anymore... but i'm also running a 800 watt xtant/mb quart Q-series system that might deafen it... still feels like good gains.... i had the car dyno'd (by the same people *billet design*) and the numbers are almost identical.... i'm not gonna post em cause i don't wanna be called an "advertisement" of my friends business... still running strong...
Old 08-20-2006, 05:41 AM
Instructor

btw.....since i'm made in china....

are you calling me inferior????

stupid stereotypical people... gotta love to hate em...
Old 08-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Yohan

Hey turtle thanks for convincing me enough to get the header. I am really happy to spend $200 on one of the best gain in a reasonably priced mod. Again thanks!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
i'm the thread starter...... still have this header on my car... examined it yesterday, no cracks, or anything...looks pretty much good as new.. added a k&n drop in filter since then and did an oil change.... since
If there is a crack in the flex pipe area, you won't be able to see it. You'll just hear that hiss getting louder and louder. I ended up changing out my A pipe with a modified double braided flex pipe. If you guys want no hiss, get the flex pipe changed out before install. I'm hiss free now and it's much better!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

What's involved in that? Is that something a typical exhaust shop would do? What is it about the original header that causes the hiss? You said that if it cracks it'll hiss louder, but is it cracked from the start? I don't get it, but then I don't know anything about headers.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
btw.....since i'm made in china....

are you calling me inferior????

stupid stereotypical people... gotta love to hate em...
Yea, like this makes any sense. Stupid people, I hate em.

It is a fact though that China is copying the designs of many automotive companies. They are buying the product and then paying factory workers minimal wages to reproduce something they did not design with both inferior welds and inferior metals. That is why many automotive companies are developing larger legal departments to try and put an end to this. In the US companies can't do this b/c of patents but China has no copyright protection so they are able to get away with it. This is major concern for the aftermarket industry and they have been many articles on this, including in SEMA, to try and figure out how to curb this trend. The problem is these Chinese products may be a good bang for the buck but they are offering no R&D and no inventions; so what will they copy when all the companies who actually do R&D and new inventions go out of business?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by vidgamer
What's involved in that? Is that something a typical exhaust shop would do? What is it about the original header that causes the hiss? You said that if it cracks it'll hiss louder, but is it cracked from the start? I don't get it, but then I don't know anything about headers.
Yeah, most exhaust shops should be able to do it as long as they work on headers. You can buy the flex pipe ahead of time and bring it into the shop. The originial DC header hisses because the flex pipe doesn't have double braided shielding on both the inside and outside of the flex pipe. Some people actually like the hissing, so it a way it's a matter of preference.

And if it cracks, the hiss is very loud. Before the crack, I only got a hiss at FULL WOT and/or driving the car hard. After the crack, even at light cruising below 3K RPM, I was getting a lot of hiss.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:09 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

It is a fact though that China is copying the designs of many automotive companies. They are buying the product and then paying factory workers minimal wages to reproduce something they did not design with both inferior welds and inferior metals. That is why many automotive companies are developing larger legal departments to try and put an end to this. In the US companies can't do this b/c of patents but China has no copyright protection so they are able to get away with it. This is major concern for the aftermarket industry and they have been many articles on this, including in SEMA, to try and figure out how to curb this trend. The problem is these Chinese products may be a good bang for the buck but they are offering no R&D and no inventions; so what will they copy when all the companies who actually do R&D and new inventions go out of business?
I'm not offending anyone, but since I'm from HK, and I do know how business runs in China. Yes, there's alot of grey area in China, and people take advantage of it. Just because it made in China doesn't mean it's made by Chinese, or even if it is, a lot of owner behind the manufacture are from US and other countries.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chuson
I'm not offending anyone, but since I'm from HK, and I do know how business runs in China. Yes, there's alot of grey area in China, and people take advantage of it. Just because it made in China doesn't mean it's made by Chinese, or even if it is, a lot of owner behind the manufacture are from US and other countries.
Oh absolutely. There are tons of US companies importing products from Chinese factories so they can get the product cheap and sell it cheaper than all the other companies. China has cheap labor so US companies would rather pay to outsource cheap labor and bring in a cheaper product b/c they can sell it for cheaper.

It's not a personal/racial thing. That's why I said to that kid, "like that makes any sense" b/c he was making it personal. We're talking about a product here, not a person. It is a serious issue though b/c these cheap knock offs are disguised as other products, are marketed as other companies' products, and are not subject to R&D or any sort of Quality Control.

Again, sometimes these headers are a great bang for the buck as seems to be the case here, but ppl should be careful to claim that this is the same thing as DC Sports. They aren't.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro

I'm going to have my exhaust checked out this weekend. All of a sudden, i hear this weird raspy hissing sound at random times when idling in "drive". It seems to be coming from inside my exhuast or something. When i shift to neutral or drive, the sound goes away. I have the comptech header by the way. I hope it isn't anything crazy.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Instructor

well....apparently people keep speaking in terms of "made in china pos." alot of people are bashing this header for where it was made. I don't see why where the origin of the product deciphers the quality of it... have you seen/ examined the product first hand?? i believe i was probably the first one to have it and yes i'm very happy with it...i've never said it was a copy of any header. it's just a well made header that proved power, as for durability, if anyone here is from south florida knows how the weather has been for the past 2 months.. i just drove through a flooded street today *not by choice* knowingly the header was going to hit water...still no crack or any signs of cracking... stop making comments as "you get what you pay for." since china has the ability to make a header similar/equal/or if not better than units made in any other country for a quarter of the price. I'm going to finish the statement with one of your quotes
"Don't prove your product by dowing others"
Old 08-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Please keep this rambling outta here and keep this thread open for discussion of the topspeed header.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Yohan

Lol. Stop Stop Stop. There will always be pros and cons. For those who have got the header and happy with it, that is great. For those who do not want to get it, that is great too, but there is no need to have a debate about it here. This is a technical forum where this header is tested for its quality and performance OBJECTIVELY.

Quick Reply: Dohcgarage Header Test