Dohcgarage Header Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WECoyote13
OK, got my car ready and have some time when I am not traveling, so I am baselining stock on Wednesday this week, and should have the header installed and re-dyno'd by the second week of December.
It would be great to see, Thanks! This might be my next mod, depending on results. Anyone out there have problems with an installed TopSpeed Header yet?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine on for like 2-3 months now I think (I don't know.. time flies.) No problems, No CELs (due to header at least), no discernable decrease in gas mileage, perhaps the slightest boost in power, but I haven't dyno'd.

Mostly I did it cause Hondata is supposed to work best with a new header. Since I did everything at once I can't pinpoint how much gains the header provides vs. anything else. The #1 thing it does from my opinion is change the tone of the exhaust note. The engine sounds different with it on, a bit more busy. Not worse, not better, just different.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Skater, Gentleman, Sniper

Well, I hope the header isn;t a waste and gives gains somewhere at least in the neighborhood of a DC. Guess we'll know soon.

BTW, my dyno's will be pathetic due to the Colorado air the car will be breathing.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 PM

Baseline as promised...uncorrected in the Colorado air the peak whp was more like 143. Should get the header done in the next week or two...maybe even this weekend.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Racer

hi WECoyote13, may i ask what year and tranny is your tsx?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 PM

04MT Navi w/ ~40,000 miles stock engine

Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

is there anyway i could order that header, it sounds like a great product and if so how much is it? i have practically the same car as you, 05 A/T with roughly 9000 miles its even carbon grey, if it did that to yours, i dont see why mine would be much different.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

^^ You will experience less gain (WHP) than those MT, since the torque convertor and it's a AT and make you lost some power on da ground (or dyno). Same for anykind of header, but non the less you will get some gain.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ well yea thats true i forgot about his being a M/T
Old 11-24-2006, 07:07 PM

Whew...long day but I installed the header ahead of schedue, took about 2 hours in an apartment complex parking lot (i.e. subtract time for sweet, heated garage)...my timing did not go over well with the SWMBO but it is what it is.

Quickly cuz I gotta run:

- PLEASE, if you order this header or the DC, follow JTso's instructions in the FAQ...I did and I am grateful. Its all really simple stuff, but you will need the socket extension, breaker bar, ratcheting wrenches, etc. My car is 3 years old so I suspect I had breaking a few bolts a little tougher than he did.

- Impressions:
- I was a little scared working with the header after removing the stock one...it feels pretty flimsy by comparison. So far its in an running so its all good.
- Sound: Not changed much, perhaps a little louder. I hear the hiss but its kinda cool, you only hear it past 1/3 throttle and it is not perceptible over the slightest radio
- Butt Dyno: So far I honestly can't tell much. Today was a particularly good day for my car, stock. It was running well before the mod...so I will wait to see what my impression is later tonight and in the morning.

** I should have an actual comparison dyno in a few days to a week...sweet!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Whew...long day but I installed the header ahead of schedue, took about 2 hours in an apartment complex parking lot (i.e. subtract time for sweet, heated garage)...my timing did not go over well with the SWMBO but it is what it is.

Quickly cuz I gotta run:

- PLEASE, if you order this header or the DC, follow JTso's instructions in the FAQ...I did and I am grateful. Its all really simple stuff, but you will need the socket extension, breaker bar, ratcheting wrenches, etc. My car is 3 years old so I suspect I had breaking a few bolts a little tougher than he did.

- Impressions:
- I was a little scared working with the header after removing the stock one...it feels pretty flimsy by comparison. So far its in an running so its all good.
- Sound: Not changed much, perhaps a little louder. I hear the hiss but its kinda cool, you only hear it past 1/3 throttle and it is not perceptible over the slightest radio
- Butt Dyno: So far I honestly can't tell much. Today was a particularly good day for my car, stock. It was running well before the mod...so I will wait to see what my impression is later tonight and in the morning.

** I should have an actual comparison dyno in a few days to a week...sweet!
hey, is there a website you can give me the link to so i can maybe order the header? thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by treez35
hey, is there a website you can give me the link to so i can maybe order the header? thanks
There are plenty of them on ebay.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTso
There are plenty of them on ebay.
^^thank you!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 PM

OK kids, I finally got to it.

Let me start with a caveat: I did only one pull on each trip to the Dyno. We probably should have done more, but I am just getting to know the guys and they are giving me a great deal. I was told tonight that from now on it would be $20 each trip...wow...but that's the good news. So anyway 1 run is not statistically significant and could be a lil off...then again I don't have much dyno experience.

caveat deux: my car was stock going into this mod and the air filter could use replacement. Its quite possible that the header will perform better with an intake to feed it (like JTso's run)...which is sitting in my garage.

I say all of this because I don't want to bag on anyones product...the dyno is what it is and I don't claim to know why. I will say that the graph matches darn close to my butt dyno...hesitant in the "drivable range" and a lil extra power up high...almost like an intake.

Check it out: (sorry for the quality, did not get sent my digital file yet)

I would be lying if I said I was not a little disappointed, but I will wait for the intake and another dyno to pass too much judgement.

-WEC
Old 12-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Racer

Man, I am disappointed. I could have swore that my buty-dyno felt a greater gain than your dyno shows.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 PM
The Power of a Grill

my foot also got a little heavier when i installed my CAI and my header...damn 20lb shoes!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Midwest TSXer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Am I reading that dyno chart correctly?? A 3HP gain for $175??? Hopefully we can get a few more cars dyno'd with this header. Also, like coyote said, the intake may "wake" his car up a bit more....
Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't expect much gains at all with a header alone as the first mod to a TSX. Any header, not just this one.

However, coupled with Hondata (especially) it should provide increased gains. The intake will open it up a bit as well, but a header appears best used along with other mods such as (in rough order):
1. Hondata
2. High-Flow Cat
3. Intake
Old 12-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
ORIGINAL POSTER'S DYNOS

Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
First Dyno (Saturday Night)

First Dyno Numbers

And Final Numbers Over the First. Enjoy!
CURRENT DYNO #'S

-WEC
Hmm... a little discrepancy there huh? 14whp vs 3whp. Interesting ... I wonder if the initial poster and the shop selling these headers were a little anxious to post better #'s than the header was actually producing.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Hmm... a little discrepancy there huh? 14whp vs 3whp. Interesting ... I wonder if the initial poster and the shop selling these headers were a little anxious to post better #'s than the header was actually producing.
Was the 1st dyno with I/H/E, while the 2nd dyno with just headers?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 AM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
POSTED THIS ON THE OTHER SITE... DON'T WANNA HATE ON THIS ONE!...

HOW YOU ALL ENJOY!

Well, last friday night i was sitting at my friends shop, DOHCGARAGE in WPB, Florida.. after shooting dah shit for about 3 hours. then he asked me if i wanted to test a new header that he got. If people seen my other car's they know i'm pretty finicky about the parts i purchase. Since he was a friend i said sure, i'll test the product. Took it home and started examining it. Full Stainless Steel, looks like TIG wilds all around, so i was pretty impressed. Looked into the 4-2-1 collector area and it seems pretty smooth. Not bad at all!

Test Vehicle is my 2005 TSX 5AT w/ 8000 miles, motorwise the car is completely bone stock execpt for a grounding kit that i got from my DOHCGARAGE as well. I purchased this car with no intention to be modified to go fast.
the car is bone stock
Old 12-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Instructor

it was just the headers through and through...i wasn't trying to sell the header him either... i just wanted people to know what i gained...up to ya'll to believe me or not...

i'm going to get redyno'd next week cause i installed a few more toys (dynamic)....

going to the original dyno shop i went to and another friends shop (dynojet)....

anyone from south florida is more than welcome to come with...
Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 AM

One thing that makes me feel better is the dyno chart in the link below. Comptechs own dyno shows negligible gain in the lower rpms with occasional losses in the drivable region (what I call 3000 - 4500 rpm). The graph perks up for good at about 4300 but never makes more than 3 hp into VTec, then 5 hp after...really does not look much different than mine considering I only did one dyno run before and after.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/med...tsx_header.pdf

Of course, there is the TOV test on the DC which looks much better, but then again they have a short ram and intake gasket installed:

I still say I can't judge the mod too much until I get some more dyno time...but then again I do feel that hesitation right above 3500 rpm that is in my chart...

The weather here has been nasty otherwise I would have put in my Typhoon this weekend and headed back to the shop.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
The Power of a Grill

The weather here has been nasty otherwise I would have put in my Typhoon this weekend and headed back to the shop.
that's what short ram is for
Old 12-03-2006, 03:48 PM

^^^ way ahead of you...installation underway, still pretty cold out for working though.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 PM

did my link to the TOV dyno get pulled? If so did not realize that is a no-no.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
did my link to the TOV dyno get pulled? If so did not realize that is a no-no.
The link is there but the source may not allow linking to their pics.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

One thing that makes me feel better is the dyno chart in the link below. Comptechs own dyno shows negligible gain in the lower rpms with occasional losses in the drivable region (what I call 3000 - 4500 rpm). The graph perks up for good at about 4300 but never makes more than 3 hp into VTec, then 5 hp after...really does not look much different than mine considering I only did one dyno run before and after.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/med...tsx_header.pdf

Of course, there is the TOV test on the DC which looks much better, but then again they have a short ram and intake gasket installed:

I still say I can't judge the mod too much until I get some more dyno time...but then again I do feel that hesitation right above 3500 rpm that is in my chart...

Well what is odd is that the original poster showed a 14whp gain from the header alone. Cars and dynos and whp vary. What is odd is that there is a difference of 11whp from one car to another car with the same mod. That is a big discrepancy. Yes the Comptech header at the peak RPM makes 5whp but we know that and it is repeated time and again. What is suspect is that you made 3whp with the header and the other guy supposedly made 14whp with that same header.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 PM

I don't think anyone believed that a knock off of a well engineered product from a reputable company would actually outperform it i.e. 14 whp. I would like to see it perform similarly though.

And yes, I do have some moral issues with using a knockoff anyway...better to support a tangible company that is actually innovating. This project is more to satisfy curiosity. At the end of the day it looks like we may be scoring one for DC Sports.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Just dial 1911

I don't think anyone believed that a knock off of a well engineered product from a reputable company would actually outperform it i.e. 14 whp.
The starter of this thread did.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

So why are people still bashing the OP 16 pages and some many months later? Anyone actually expecting over 10whp gain isn't doing their homework, and any serious consumer would take those initial readings with a grain of salt, especially now that there has been backup work done to suggest that there is a gain, but not nearly as great of one. Its a knockoff, its cheap, but it works. Its gains are similar to other headers dyno'd and I wouldn't expect anything different.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the problem was that on the run with the header, there is a big spike at the end. Normally, when we're reading people's dynos we will say to ignore any weird spike like that. The person running the dyno used that number though, and that's why we see such a big difference.

I don't blame the original poster for any of this though. He's not the guy running the dyno and if you go back to the first post then he actually bought the part from one shop and dynoed at a completely different shop. Even if he was mislead somehow I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he had no idea. As more people dyno with this part we'll have to see what type of results they get. I think WeCoyote's numbers seem a little low.

WeCoyote, what elevation are you at?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Reach
So why are people still bashing the OP 16 pages and some many months later? Anyone actually expecting over 10whp gain isn't doing their homework, and any serious consumer would take those initial readings with a grain of salt, especially now that there has been backup work done to suggest that there is a gain, but not nearly as great of one. Its a knockoff, its cheap, but it works. Its gains are similar to other headers dyno'd and I wouldn't expect anything different.
Because their were a bunch of people in here going apeshit over his claim. And I dont like to see people on this board going out and spending money on some pos based on false information. We might as well have a thread that claims the Turbonator added 20whp...

Yes, I took it with a grain of salt, but their are many people new to modding that might not.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 PM

Ok well now we have a new data-point. Typhoon Short-Ram installed on Sunday to go along with the header.

I mentioned in my posts that my shop had just done one run on each of my trips and I was thinking that could be an issue. Today I made sure to get 3 runs in. The first one was funky looking (I'll get a graph of it tomorrow, forgot today) and I immediately said "that ain't right". It was clear that the motor warmed up right in the middle of the run and started acting different. Two runs later and we were at this:

Its a decent graph, but definitely below what you would expect from a short ram and a DC header. 11 HP total gain, I would expect 15 ish???...I guess it depends on a lot.

For whoever asked, I am at 5000 feet but all of the dynos are corrected. Actual numbers are way lower.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reach
No one is bashing the OP. This header was supposedly giving 14whp and many people jumped on the bandwagon, and many people were basing their decision on his dyno and information. So it is important to figure out what the real facts are since their is a huge chasm between 3whp and 14 whp.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ That's more like it! I think your numbers looks close to what you should expect for those mods. Definitely good numbers. You might get a little more power in CAI mode, but you also might lose some low end power.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM

For the record, I screwed up and that plot I put up is my header run versus my intake run, not baseline versus both, but the shapes are similar and the overall gain is 11 to the wheels. I will make a graph with all 3 next time I get over there.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:59 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Well, the dyno looks decent !@@@! Can consider it's a good mod since it has a similar power output as the DC, and SS quality like the Comptech, + super low price. Too bad I had my DC header install long ago already.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

those are some fine gains for the combo, and what I would expect with any of the headers. its good to see more good data like that, thank you for investing in the dyno time and having the patience to go through with it all!

Also, I encourage you to post all your results to the sticky dyno thread.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow 7hp with SRI on a car with headers. Makes me want to get headers as well! My car is running only with an SRI too.

Did you manage to take videos of your dyno runs?

Quick Reply: Dohcgarage Header Test