Coolant By-Pass Mod. With pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Whats it is SON!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant By-Pass Mod. With pics.

Just finished the first mod 2 the TSX. It took much longer 2 find the damn fitting then it did 2 do the by-pass. I couldn't find a 5/16 fitting so I used a 3/8 brass elbo and 5/16 vacuum plugs. The elbo fit perfect nice and snug! I also bought new hose clamps but the fitting fit so well I didn't need them, I just used the stock clamps. Here r the pics below let me know what u guys think.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice brass fitting. Did you do this correctly? Is that fitting connected to the TB? When doing this mod, both ends coming off the TB should be capped off...hence the "bypass."
Old 05-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm pretty sure he did it correctly... the coolant still has to circulate, so he connected the inlet and the outlet hoses with the 90* elbow. (The 90* elbow replaces the TB in the system). The two ports on the TB are then capped to keep crud from getting in there. I see one cap in the pic - the second one is probably below the TB (maybe able to see the light reflecting off of the nub immediately below the cap in the 2nd pic).
Old 05-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Whats it is SON!

Yea both hoses were removed off of the throttle body. If u think it will help other people I can take a few pics of the under side of the throttle body 2 show where the other end is I can.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just concerned that someone else may have performed this mod incorrectly. I recently saw a post where someone hydrolocked their engine by routing the lines incorrectly.

Good work!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by etarui
I was just concerned that someone else may have performed this mod incorrectly. I recently saw a post where someone hydrolocked their engine by routing the lines incorrectly.

Good work!

yeah that was me. Messed up the engine quick and its a lot of work to fix (still waiting on some parts from acura to come in to finish the job). All in all it only costs me $1800 that with all new rods, pistons, clutch, timing chain, water pump and anything else you need to repalce with a short block rebuild. The OP did it right, I messed up and missed the second inlet down below and instead of using caps looped the hose around to the top hose on the TB to close of the system WRONG thing to do. all in all its good I did this the first owner did not break in the engine porperly and upon tear down there is all kinds of crud on the pistons (thanks crappy PCV and oil blow by).

For your second mod i highly recommend you put on a oil catch can. Oh yeah sorry for kind of thread jacking. Good for you for paying attention, when some of us (cough ME) get complasent and stupid.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Whats it is SON!

Yea bro sorry 2 hear that! while u have it all apart u should think about doing some inside work, different pistons, cam, head work stuff that really makes power! After all the bolt ons r done that is my next step. I have a few guys at my shop that have been workin on hondas 4 years and they know there stuff. There ready when i am.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shmork53
The OP did it right, I messed up and missed the second inlet down below and instead of using caps looped the hose around to the top hose on the TB to close of the system WRONG thing to do.
can you further describe your process? instead of removing 2 coolant lines from the tb, you only removed one?

i've been thinking about doing this mod too. nice and cheap...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
can you further describe your process? instead of removing 2 coolant lines from the tb, you only removed one?

i've been thinking about doing this mod too. nice and cheap...

There are three similar sized inlets on the TB. Two on the bottom (one is hard to see you have to really look), and then the Emissions inlet from the purge control valve up top. Do not touch the top one. Take the Two lower hoses off, and then connect them together like the OP did, and cap off your TB water inlet and outlet. Once again do not touch the Top most inlet, that is not a water line. I did not pay attention to what I was doing and hooked up one of the TB water lines there thinking it was a water line too, thinking that would close off the system with out having to buy plugs. By doing so i piped water directly into my intake and right into the cylinders. Please do not make my same mistake. Lucky for me I have done engine rebuilds before and have a father who has too, so between the two of use we are finishing it up with no labor charges, just parts and that is $1800.

As far a building up the internals, I thought about it but decided not to do it for two reason. One big one expense. I am still a student and the cheapest way was with OEM replacements, and the second reason was lack of engine management. Until something like K-pro is done all those internal upgrades will not have the proper management to get stock like driveability with extra power.

Good luck to anyone who tries this.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Whats it is SON!

If u read the description it says that u can't c the other pipe capped in the picture. The other coolant pipe is right under the throttle body. U CAN'T miss it. Plus u know its the right pipe when u c the coolant come out of the hose. Its very easy, take u 10 minz. I thought i felt a lil difference in power, but i figured maybe it was all in my head, but after I took my wife out later she asked me if i did anything 2 the car cause it felt a lil faster. I didn't tell her i did the mod before. So either we both r a lil crazy or maybe it did do something. I haven't seen any dyno specs 2 prove anything. But hey every lil bit helps.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

can someone tell me where exactly on the TB the coolant hoses are and can this work on a 64mm TL TB?