From Comptech to Topspeed.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Comptech to Topspeed.....

Hey Guys,

So after being fed up with the infamous comptech header vibration, trying to resolve/diagnose what might be the cause/solution for it and just having to take it off, I have installed the Topspeed DC SS replica header which I purchased from the Dulbez (spelling) guy from ebay.

Initial Impressions-
The welds looks VERY solid just like the comptech header, I was very impressed actually. It felt very solid and stable. The inner piping however, was a little rough and I meant to clean it up a little bit but I didn’t feel like taking the time to do so meaning I might pay for it in the long run, but I think it will be ok. The flex pipe was already an area for concern due to seeing other posters so I already order a replacement flex pipe JUST IN CASE. I am not planning on installing it unless the hiss bothers me or I get a leak. This seemed much more flexible than the comptech, which also may be the reason for no vibration.

Installation-
Since I already had the ct header installed, it was just a matter of breaking the bolts loose which I just sprayed some “brake loose” on there and used my breaker bar and popped them loose with ease. I bolted the 2 piece header together before installation and slide it up into place and bolted it back up. I did however, reuse the stock gasket when bolting it to the block, which I was informed by Reach I was not suppose to do. I still don’t fully understand this but if some can convince me that I need to buy a new one, I will do so and replace it but it looked fine to me.

Started her up to listen for leaks and from an idle, I heard nothing. It sounded fine, so far so good!

Driving Impression-
When I first took it out I stayed below 3k rpm’s to warm the car up before doing some vtec runs. Under 3-3.5k rpm’s it sounded normal, felt the exact same as the comptech header, and was good to go. I stopped with the AC on, lights on, and I have NO VIBRATION. NONE, so sign of it at all in any way shape or form….i was SOOO happy!!

Ok, she was warm so I stepped on it a bit. Just like some one else mentioned about the hiss, as soon as you get about past 1/3 throttle, you start to hear it. To me, it sounds like an exhaust leak but when I test it by revving it in the driveway, I don’t here or see much. I am going to try the garbage bag trick just to make sure there is no leak. When you get above 3.5k you start to hear the hiss become more prevelant. When I used to hit around 5k rpms with the comptech header, it would spin faster past the 5.5k mark than stock by a lot and then FLY through vtec. However, the hissing becomes pretty loud and it feels slightly more sluggish than with the comptech. The vtec transition doesn’t seem as strong as it did before but its still there and I still feel more than stock. I am thinking that I may lost about 3 or so whp….just a guess though. I didn’t get that many vtec runs in though to get the ecu used to it so I will update with more on that and see if it adjusts and get back to normal.

Questions-
Convince me that I need to either keep the stock gasket there and I’m fine or I NEED to replace it with a new one, or the use the supplied paper type gasket that was supplied.
Does your guys hiss get pretty loud when you get to like 4-5k rpm’s? I don’t know if I like it or not. I think its cool at times but at other times I think it sounds like a bad exhaust leak (which it may be but I sure hope not….i don’t think it is) It does have a turbo spooling up characteristic to it though…..

Overall Opinion-
Cheaper price
Good quality and seems durable (IMO….i’m a civil engineer, not a mechanical though)
NO VIBRATION
A pretty loud hiss (IMO, I’m picky but we’ll see…I have the new flex pipe in needed)
Close enough performance for me at this point…..i was sick of the ct vibration
So far, I’m very satisfied with it and will give an update in a few days once I get more familiar with this hissing sound!

Sorry there are no pics but they would have been the same as everyone else’s pics they have posted. Mine looked identical to the ones that were posted with the collector tubes not being completely flush with the mounting header but I don’t think it’s a big deal.

PS- PM me if your interested in a perfectly good used comptech header with about 4000 miles on it. I will be putting it on the black market soon!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you're happy with it.

The main reason for using a new gasket is that it is compressible and resuing one may lead to leaks. However, if you've already installed it and have no leaks then I don't think you need to worry about using a new one. Just keep an eye on it.

I really don't hear a hiss. Its probably because, when I first got it I heard the hole in the flex pipe which overwhelmed the hissing sound, and when I had the flex pipe replaced I used a double braided one. At least that's my guess, that the hiss comes from type of flex pipe that Topspeed uses.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
Glad you're happy with it.

The main reason for using a new gasket is that it is compressible and resuing one may lead to leaks. However, if you've already installed it and have no leaks then I don't think you need to worry about using a new one. Just keep an eye on it.

I really don't hear a hiss. Its probably because, when I first got it I heard the hole in the flex pipe which overwhelmed the hissing sound, and when I had the flex pipe replaced I used a double braided one. At least that's my guess, that the hiss comes from type of flex pipe that Topspeed uses.
So far so good

Yea, i think i'll just watch it and make sure i'm comfortable leaving it the way it is for now.

My hiss gets pretty loud at WOT above 4k rpm's so i'm wondering if do have a leak. I may just not be used to it too, i don't know. Maybe i can try and video it and post that up if can figure that out....lol. I bought a replacement double braided flex pipe, the same one Reach had bought and probalby the same one you have, so i may have to just do that. I am going to watch it and listen over this week and see what happens by this weekend.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Good stuff man. Hope you find resolution with this header.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice writeup J

Yeah, definitely check for leaks. I think the hiss is just a characteristic of the flex pipe though. I would replace it for a double braided one. You can get the part for about $27 on Ebay. When I replaced my flex pipe, the muffler shop was able to do the swap with the header still on the car. I was charged $40-$50 for labor.

This is the flex pipe I used. Verify that the diameter you want is 2.25" though. I have a custom a-pipe made by JTso, so my header is a little different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...spagenameZWD1V

Edit: Just read that you already have a flex pipe. That's great! I would just shop around to see who will install it for the cheapest. You might as well put it on since you already have it. It's better than living with that hisssssssss. haha
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Good stuff man. Hope you find resolution with this header.
Thanks!! So far so good but i'll have to give a few more tests runs to see how it goes but i think the vibration is gone so thats at least a huge plus for cause that really got annoying, especially in traffic!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Nice writeup J

Yeah, definitely check for leaks. I think the hiss is just a characteristic of the flex pipe though. I would replace it for a double braided one. You can get the part for about $27 on Ebay. When I replaced my flex pipe, the muffler shop was able to do the swap with the header still on the car. I was charged $40-$50 for labor.

This is the flex pipe I used. Verify that the diameter you want is 2.25" though. I have a custom a-pipe made by JTso, so my header is a little different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...spagenameZWD1V

Edit: Just read that you already have a flex pipe. That's great! I would just shop around to see who will install it for the cheapest. You might as well put it on since you already have it. It's better than living with that hisssssssss. haha
Thanks Kenny!

Yea i already have it and i got a rough estimate of $40 for a shop to do that but i want to watch it for a little bit first before going and cutting it out and putting a new one on. I mean, that hiss is pretty loud at WOT so maybe once i get sick of that i might do it. But, at least this hiss is only when i get on it, not when i stop at every single light....lol.

Oh yea, and i got the 2" diameter one because i think that is what size the normal collectors are, you have a slightly bigger one that JTso made.

Now its time for me to justify hondata or not If i do, i'm done with engine mods, thats for sure!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX

I am going to try the garbage bag trick just to make sure there is no leak.

I forgot to mention, make sure that the exhaust is cold when you put it on and don't run the engine too long with it on (1/2 min or less). That should be long enough to determine if its leaking or not. The exhaust heats up pretty quick and my bag (I used plastic) started sticking to the metal.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Good to hear Jordan! My DC v1 made a slight hiss at WOT at any RPM but honestly I don't hear it AT ALL now... either it's gone away over time, or I've completely erased that specific audible range from my hearing.

I think you'll be happy with the TopSpeed even though it's a ripoff of the DC. Probably about the same quality or slightly less but really almost indistinguishable, IMO.

Cheers!
Eric
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
O.o

Thanks!! So far so good but i'll have to give a few more tests runs to see how it goes but i think the vibration is gone so thats at least a huge plus for cause that really got annoying, especially in traffic!
how bad is the vibration from the comptech header? rate from 1 - 10
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

Wait for about 2 weeks before you do anything. Carbon from the engine will build up inside around the flex pipe and mute the hissing sound a bit.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
I forgot to mention, make sure that the exhaust is cold when you put it on and don't run the engine too long with it on (1/2 min or less). That should be long enough to determine if its leaking or not. The exhaust heats up pretty quick and my bag (I used plastic) started sticking to the metal.
Yea i figured that would happen which means it'll have to wait until this weekend...thanks though Jan!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by curls
Good to hear Jordan! My DC v1 made a slight hiss at WOT at any RPM but honestly I don't hear it AT ALL now... either it's gone away over time, or I've completely erased that specific audible range from my hearing.

I think you'll be happy with the TopSpeed even though it's a ripoff of the DC. Probably about the same quality or slightly less but really almost indistinguishable, IMO.

Cheers!
Eric
I think because i'm pretty anal when it comes to noises about my car i will always hear it however, i might be able to actually get used to liking the sound....lol

Yea, so far i am. I drove it a little more last night and it def doesn't seem quite up to the performance that the CT header header in the higher rpm range but low end is the same from what i can tell. Although the vtec transition seems a bit off for some reason so i'm wondering if i have a leak.....it only sounds off when i get to about 5.5k and higher in the rev range.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2k4CL9
how bad is the vibration from the comptech header? rate from 1 - 10
That is a tough question because it depends on the person. Like for my commute to work, 3 miles to the train station, it never bothered me cause i usually never hit lights for long however, weekends or if i have to drive to work, i hated it!

Me HATING noises in my car i would rate it at like a 6-7 because its right underneath you and it vibrates the seat a little too. If you have the radio on relatively loud, i would say its only like a 3 though. I have 2 10's in the back so i turned them up i would hear it but i could slightly feel it sometimes and i just hated the fact that my $28k car is vibrating so i had to get rid of it.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sodazman
Wait for about 2 weeks before you do anything. Carbon from the engine will build up inside around the flex pipe and mute the hissing sound a bit.
Good call. I was planning on having a exhaust shop take a look at it not this saturdaybut the following saturday just to check it over to see if i missed anything. I still get a smell when it starts up while burning off the junk and the alcohol i used to wipe it down.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
The hissing sound you describe is it when you accel you hear like an air whine in the engine compartment?

I thought it was always normal?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
O.o

That is a tough question because it depends on the person. Like for my commute to work, 3 miles to the train station, it never bothered me cause i usually never hit lights for long however, weekends or if i have to drive to work, i hated it!

Me HATING noises in my car i would rate it at like a 6-7 because its right underneath you and it vibrates the seat a little too. If you have the radio on relatively loud, i would say its only like a 3 though. I have 2 10's in the back so i turned them up i would hear it but i could slightly feel it sometimes and i just hated the fact that my $28k car is vibrating so i had to get rid of it.
ty very much
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 AM
cl9alltheway

i didnt read the whole tread but i will after i ask this. Does it vibrate w/ automatic transmission or w/ the manual. cause u have a manual, and i thought that you only get the vibration w/ the automatic tran.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:10 AM
CL9 ABP

When it turns on the a/c compressor
he has an AT
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
The hissing sound you describe is it when you accel you hear like an air whine in the engine compartment?

I thought it was always normal?
It actually seems to be settling down a little bit now so i think it is just a charateristic of this header like the DC one. I think i can learn to live with this one with NO vibration

HOWEVER, the car is NOT as responsive as the comptech header. The lower rpm's are slightly more restricted and the higher rpm's are a little more noticeably slower. At this point though, i don't care i just didn't want that vibration.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL9alltheway
i didnt read the whole tread but i will after i ask this. Does it vibrate w/ automatic transmission or w/ the manual. cause u have a manual, and i thought that you only get the vibration w/ the automatic tran.
The car vibrates ONLY between 670-700 RPM's on my car anyway. My car only idles at that speed when i am in D sitting at the light with the lights on or the HVAC on. If i turn both of them off, it would lower the rpm's to about 650 or lower and it wouldn't vibrate. With a 6MT (manual transmission) you are never "in gear" at that rpm range due to having the clutch in. then when you go to engage into 1st gear, you rev the car up to usually above 1k rpms which is not in the vibration range so your fine. No reported vibration from 6MT owners that i have ever heard of.

EDIT: Like crazyann said, it gets worse when the fan for the compressor kicks on but even when thats not on its still slightly there.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
CL9 ABP

It gets bad when it rains too, my cat (magnaflow) likes to shake.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 AM
cl9alltheway

so its only w/ an automatic tsx??? not a manual? cause im considering ordering it soon. but i dont want to if its going to vibebrate. that shit it going to drive me crazy
Old 01-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL9alltheway
so its only w/ an automatic tsx??? not a manual? cause im considering ordering it soon. but i dont want to if its going to vibebrate. that shit it going to drive me crazy
Do you have a 6MT? If you do, then you should have no problems. There has not been a reported 6MT ct header vibration that i have seen on this board. See my explaination of this above.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 PM
cl9alltheway

okay cool thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^there are FAR FEWER issues on the 6MT, like 2 or 3 maybe. I had some rattles but they disappeared and I have no complaints at all with the CT Header, RT Cat, CT Exhaust setup now.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moda_way
^^there are FAR FEWER issues on the 6MT, like 2 or 3 maybe. I had some rattles but they disappeared and I have no complaints at all with the CT Header, RT Cat, CT Exhaust setup now.
Up, thanks Ryan, first time i have heard of a 6MT vibration and believe me, i did some searching.

On a side note, the header seems to be breaking in finally and the hissing noise has been changing and slowly decreasing. There is still a strange sound at around 3.2k-4.2k rpm's like a little back pressure getting held up. And then once it revs past that its just the normal hissing sound which is growing on. The noise feels like its almost a slight vibration like again, its at a natural resonanting requency in that range but its NOT bad like the CT header was for me. I still have to mess some more with it this weekend and i'll give a better update then.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:45 AM
CL9 ABP

jwood is the hissing only when you accel?
and it can be heard inside the cabin slightly?
im still not sure about how this hiss is supposed to sound

my comptech does make a unique sound when accelerating but not positive if thats supposed to be normal still.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
jwood is the hissing only when you accel?
and it can be heard inside the cabin slightly?
im still not sure about how this hiss is supposed to sound

my comptech does make a unique sound when accelerating but not positive if thats supposed to be normal still.
Jeff, yes its ONLY when accelerating and i can only really hear it above 2800 rpms. Then when i hit 3k-4k it has a stange resonating sound and then sounds fine after that including the hissing. I'm going to investigate a little bit because i'm still not sure what is making this sound. It sounds like there is a pin hole in which the air is coming out but i'm pretty sure this isn't the case however, i need to check. I wanted all the stuff to burn off before i go crawling around it while its running.

I can hear it in the cabin but i hear it more when i put my window down, obviously. Under normal driving 3k and below, you wouldn't know its there at all, just like the CT header.

As for the CT header noise, you honestly couldn't tell it was there except for the vibration, and then when you hit about 5k or so. when i got up there, it actually sounded some what hissy actually. It wasn't as noticeable as this one, but it had a little hiss to it too now that i think about it. The ct header was one single braided too, which may be why it hissed too. the braided area was longer than the Topspeed and a little stronger so that might be why this one hisses earlier on. I have a new double braided piece i might try in a few weeks but i want to get more familiar with it first.

I am going to try and take a video one of these weekends and post it up at some point but that may be a little while.

when do you hear a hiss with your ct header?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Jordan, I'm fairly (90%) sure that my DC header makes a hissing noise... was loud-ish at first but significantly reduced in volume over time.

It might, MIGHT be related to a cold air intake (if you have one), since the header frees up the engine to breathe better, maybe you're hearinga combination of more intake noise (more air at once?) and a slight hiss though the single-braid flex pipe of the header.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the DC header (v2) for more than a year, and I still don't know what kind of hissing sound you guys talking about.

I did have my Injen CAI installed first, then I added the DC header and High-flow cat. Actually with this addition, the CAI noise has went down alot, but growl on high rpm. There's always a spooling sound but I think it's from the CAI. I have added UR pulleys and the Ingalls ETD afterwards, and it does creates another sounds, like mechanical (engine spinning) sound to the cabin. Other than that, I'm still trying to figure what's the hissing noise is...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Update & a few questions (parts guys)

So i have been testing it a little more here and there and the hissing noise has quieted down pretty well except for that range right when it hits 3k to about 4k where it gets louder and raspier. If i push it and then shift hard (via SS mode) its actually almost like a little, and i mean little and can only be heard with the window down, a BOV. I am still thinking have a leak though because of this noise as well as a strong smell inside the car when it first starts up when cold. The upper range seemed to adjust to the new the piece and the gain went back up a little bit but still not quite what the CT header was, but i'd say its pretty close now. The lower rpm's are still right on par with the CT header from what i can remember now.

Questions-
1- Is that strong smell normal like that? So i need to replace the gasket at the head?
2- I'm leaning towards replacing the gasket so should i use the one that was supplied, stuff like Mr. Gasket material, or just buy a new gasket and use some hondabond on it?
3- If i buy the OEM gasket, which one is it? I know its a two piece but it seems like it welded together and i found these two part numbers....any help?
18115-PRB-A01 & 18115-PNB-003

Oh yea, and still NO vibration
Old 01-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Jordan, I get a funky rich-condition kinda smell whenever i start my car... always have even before the header. I think it's fairly normal, as I'm quite sure that the car runs richer for the first few minutes to get the temperature up to normal operating range.

I didn't replace the exhaust manifold gasket... instructions on the DC said not to AFAIK. So mine was and still is the OEM one. No leaks - tested with tissue paper and never saw any movement in it, so I'd assume it's tight. Also, no exhaust noise at all coming from there so I'd highly doubt there's a leak.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

I still have that noise at startup and the first 2-3 minutes (as the exhaust warms up). I also can smell what I think is exhaust fumes after starting, but not later. I still haven't investigated it.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
B A N N E D

Questions-
1- Is that strong smell normal like that? So i need to replace the gasket at the head?
2- I'm leaning towards replacing the gasket so should i use the one that was supplied, stuff like Mr. Gasket material, or just buy a new gasket and use some hondabond on it?
3- If i buy the OEM gasket, which one is it? I know its a two piece but it seems like it welded together and i found these two part numbers....any help?
18115-PRB-A01 & 18115-PNB-003

Oh yea, and still NO vibration
When i got my header installed i replaced the gasket just because. I figured its a fairly inexpensive part and it cant hurt. You can get either one of those part numbers, they will both fit. i used the A01.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Team Owner

They both fit, I bought the cheaper one.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Intermediate

from my personaly experience PLEASE take it off.

that loud hissing sound is just the start of bad things.

i first installed this product and not even 24hours later i'm coming home from work and next thing you know when i hit the gas... THE FRICKIN FLEX-PIPE AND FLANGE ARE SEPERATED!

here's the link the the thread i made over on g7a.net and aftermath pics below:

http://gen7accord.net/forums/viewtop...709&highlight=

Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to Eric, Jan, and 925tsx for your feedback, i think i'm going to order a new gasket and put that on and see what happens! As for the smell, its was pretty strong this morning but once the engine warms up it goes away so i guess it normal.

I hear ya Jan, i would have went with the cheaper one at first too....lol
Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by suleman

i first installed this product and not even 24hours later i'm coming home from work and next thing you know when i hit the gas... THE FRICKIN FLEX-PIPE AND FLANGE ARE SEPERATED!

WOW, thanks for the heads up man!! I am going to go through your thread soon but i am def going to watch this a little closer that is for sure!!!!

What did you end up doing?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by suleman

I can't see your pics here at work, but do you have the header installed on a TSX or a 7th gen Accord? If it's on the Accord, then my first guess would be that the header isn't made precisely for THAT car, and put abnormal stress on the header... and of course the weakest link is what gives out first.

If it's installed on a TSX then maybe you got a bad one? I mean hey, they are CHEAP for a reason!

Quick Reply: From Comptech to Topspeed.....