Comptech taking "pre-orders" on Supercharger for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005 | 10:29 AM
jmf
Need for Speed

Comptech taking "pre-orders" on Supercharger for TSX

This might be a repost as I have not read all of the giant CT SC thread for a while. If you want to relocate this thread, cool. I, like many of you have been trying to keep up with when we can get our hands the CT SC for the TSX. This is the latest email response I received today:

At this point in time the only information we have is that the kit will be adding between 40-50 hp at the wheels. We are taking pre-orders at this time, though no pricing has been released as of yet. Thanks for considering Comptech.

Comptech

How many of you guys have already "pre-ordered" your SC?
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Pre-ordering something with no set price?
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:33 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by JTso
Pre-ordering something with no set price?
I think that settles that

You gonna do this John if the price is right?
Old 06-29-2005 | 11:02 AM
Polar Chicken

I think we first need the following before commiting:

1. Set Price of the SC
2. Set Price of the Aftercooler
3. Dyno Chart with just the SC.
4. Dyno Chart with the Aftercooler installed.
5. List of mods on the test car.
6. Estimated shop time for the install, I can do it myself unless there is a cutting torch
involved. ~
7. Firm release date.

IMO at least.
Old 06-29-2005 | 11:37 AM
Engineer

Originally Posted by Zasker1

1. Set Price of the SC
6. Estimated shop time for the install, I can do it myself unless there is a cutting torch
involved. ~
7. Firm release date.

IMO at least.

also a list of regional shops that can install it and retain the proper warrenties...
Old 06-29-2005 | 01:08 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

or at least what engine management they're using
Old 06-29-2005 | 01:17 PM
Instructor

exactly to all the above points....i will not product test for CT unless its free with warranty
Old 06-29-2005 | 01:21 PM
Got Phó?

where is the dyno?
Old 06-29-2005 | 01:48 PM
Automobile Aficionado

you people asking for dynos will not see dynos for awhile. Not until the SC's start selling.
Old 06-29-2005 | 02:32 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by xizor
or at least what engine management they're using
x 23592385029520938520958309680349683049680396809436 8436
Old 06-29-2005 | 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dzuy
x 23592385029520938520958309680349683049680396809436 8436
If the engine management is not tunable, then 0.00% interest.
Old 06-29-2005 | 03:29 PM
jmf
Need for Speed

Let's hope that it is. It sucks that Comptech is being so vague. Maybe they are just being thorough and don't want to promise anything they can't deliver.
Old 06-29-2005 | 03:32 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i saw a prototype of it at SEMA.

if comptech was smart - they would aid in hondata's development of the k-pro and i might be singing a different tune about their SC.

i'm sure alot of people feel that way.

i dont like the idea of the SC not being efficient w/ the reflash, since so many of us power driven tuners have already invested in hondata.

my
Old 06-29-2005 | 03:40 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by dzuy
i dont like the idea of the SC not being efficient w/ the reflash, since so many of us power driven tuners have already invested in hondata.

my
while it'd be the best of both worlds to implement a special reflash, everyone was aware that the CT S/C might use its own engine management, thus wasting the investment in the Hondata reflash
Old 06-29-2005 | 03:45 PM
Racer

This is the same Comptech that can't build springs and sway bars without rusting or snapping? me= no conficence in them doing F/I
Old 06-29-2005 | 04:24 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

while it'd be the best of both worlds to implement a special reflash, everyone was aware that the CT S/C might use its own engine management, thus wasting the investment in the Hondata reflash
i remember a time when it wasn't known.

anyway, my point is that - hondata has already invested some time in developing the reflash (with comptech parts might i add). it would make sense if they wanted to have a programmable engine management unit - that they should partner up with hondata.

i distinctly recall the demand for comptech headers increasing dramatically when the reflash came out.

i can only imagine the popularity of the S/C if mated with a k-pro. hint hint.
Old 06-29-2005 | 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
This is the same Comptech that can't build springs and sway bars without rusting or snapping? me= no conficence in them doing F/I

Are you kidding? Comptech is one of the top quality builders/tuners for FI. They have the most R&D and quality products compared to all other aftermarket makers.

Why do you think Honda/Acura still honors your powertrain warranty even when a Comptech S/C is installed (only at the dealer).
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:03 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by NJtsx
you people asking for dynos will not see dynos for awhile. Not until the SC's start selling.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Comptech has a TSX available to dyno themselves
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:45 PM
Polar Chicken

Originally Posted by NJtsx
I am not sure I would agree with this statment. I would fully expect Comptech to provide a dyno on their website before making such an investment. I personly like the idea of forced induction but if the gain is only 40hp for 5k+, than your paying $125 per hp, (scarry mod). At that point researching a custom turbo setup or a JR superchrager adapted from a RSX (much cheaper).

I think we are going to deep into this thread, my point was it is silly to expect people to pre-order a very expensive part with out first publishing any specifications or documentations.
Old 06-29-2005 | 06:05 PM
Just dial 1911

I think we are going to deep into this thread, my point was it is silly to expect people to pre-order a very expensive part with out first publishing any specifications or documentations.
Well, if their taking preorders before any info is out, then that has to mean they have a lot of intrested buyers out there. My guess is that they will be sold out right away...
Old 06-29-2005 | 06:26 PM
jmf
Need for Speed

Originally Posted by loxllxol
Are you kidding? Comptech is one of the top quality builders/tuners for FI. They have the most R&D and quality products compared to all other aftermarket makers.

Why do you think Honda/Acura still honors your powertrain warranty even when a Comptech S/C is installed (only at the dealer).
Comptech is top-notch. I just hope the supercharger is worth it and not a big disappointment. The eventual price scares me a little- if they are spending this much time on the R&D, then it could be substantially higher than the RSX SC.

Maybe they are just working on other, less important projects right now and the TSX is on the back burner.
Old 06-29-2005 | 07:00 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by joerockt
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Comptech has a TSX available to dyno themselves
when people dropped by to check out the progress a couple months ago they had 2 TSXs in there, a MR and ABP. The MR is their show car, w/ Work wheels, maybe the ABP is their mule.

. At that point researching a custom turbo setup or a JR superchrager adapted from a RSX (much cheaper).
w/o engine management, any FI is moot. a RSX could be adapted, but you'd really need to do some research on the parts. The crank the s/c is running off of probably is not in the exact same spot on the K24
Old 06-29-2005 | 09:42 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by jmf
Comptech is top-notch. I just hope the supercharger is worth it and not a big disappointment.
I'm struggling to reconcile these two statements.

Top-notch companies don't release expensive products that are a big disappointment...isn't that what MAKES them top-notch?

I'm not saying about Comptech yea or nay - I just don't know what *you* mean...
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

1. Set Price of the SC
involved. ~
7. Firm release date.

IMO at least.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a "preorder"...if they had any of that info, they would be taking ORDERS, not PREORDERS!

Preorder means...."Give us some money as a committment that you will buy....we will use your money to fund R&D to get it right and you can hope to have a kit in the next year....if we can make it work...."

All you are doing is promising to buy one when it is made and released. They are not promising you anything, except that you will be one of the first to get one.

For 45-50 hp, it does not seem worth it....you can nearly get that NA with a reflash.
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:38 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
Their SC for the NSX is very nice IMO... I've been running it for 3 weeks now and no problem so far... It's been hard at work. IMO
Old 06-30-2005 | 02:39 AM
Instructor

Word from Comptech is they are still tinkering with the electronics.

I hope it isn't manually tuneable, if the system manages things on the go, then there is no need. It is constantly "tuning" itself. I'm sure it will save people who don't know what they are doing from causing boom shakalaka under the hood.
Old 06-30-2005 | 03:24 AM
Racer

How badly will the SC screw with your warranty?
Old 06-30-2005 | 03:47 AM
Instructor

The Acura dealer I work with will install and warranty the SC kit.
Old 06-30-2005 | 08:59 AM
i want my nuku nuku futon

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
For 45-50 hp, it does not seem worth it....you can nearly get that NA with a reflash.
thatz what i think too....45-50hp is too little for the price you pay
Old 06-30-2005 | 09:18 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by BlackAc036
How badly will the SC screw with your warranty?
if you don't have it done and warrantyied by acura, say good bye on any engine and powertrain warranty
Old 06-30-2005 | 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

if you don't have it done and warrantyied by acura, say good bye on any engine and powertrain warranty

Even then, Boost and Warranty are not words that live harmoniously together in most cases.....regardless of the installer....

I am not trying to discourage anybody...but don't get too excited. Competch does not have much more than anyone else at this point. And coming from a dealership I can say that modded cars do not always get the best looks from techs....even if the tech is the one installing the parts. You gotta find a cool dealership first!
Old 06-30-2005 | 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by N_Smith
Word from Comptech is they are still tinkering with the electronics.

I hope it isn't manually tuneable, if the system manages things on the go, then there is no need. It is constantly "tuning" itself. I'm sure it will save people who don't know what they are doing from causing boom shakalaka under the hood.
There is no such thing as constantly tuning itself. The ECU program must be manually altered for boost and different size injectors, fuel pressure. etc. Not everyone buys FI setup knows how to tune it. That's why there are tuner shop that provide the tuning service. You probably could run the SC setup as is, but the setup most likely won't be optimized without some fine tuning.
Old 06-30-2005 | 12:29 PM
Instructor

Then what is Comptech working on?

An ACM that adjusts VTEC, enriches fuel, and monitors other variables. What I mean is there are variables that the ACM will monitor and adjust on the go, not that it tunes itself (the ACM), but the components it was designed to.

From my understanding, the ACM intercepts and sends new signals to the ECU on the fly.
Old 07-01-2005 | 04:06 PM
jmf
Need for Speed

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Even then, Boost and Warranty are not words that live harmoniously together in most cases.....regardless of the installer....

I am not trying to discourage anybody...but don't get too excited. Competch does not have much more than anyone else at this point. And coming from a dealership I can say that modded cars do not always get the best looks from techs....even if the tech is the one installing the parts. You gotta find a cool dealership first!
For anyone in the KC area Jay Wolfe Acura will honor Comptech parts if they do the install. In fact, my salesman brought up Comptech when I bought my TSXs They are a very professional dealership in my experience.
Old 07-01-2005 | 04:15 PM
jmf
Need for Speed

Originally Posted by elduderino
I'm struggling to reconcile these two statements.

Top-notch companies don't release expensive products that are a big disappointment...isn't that what MAKES them top-notch?

I'm not saying about Comptech yea or nay - I just don't know what *you* mean...
My experience with Comptech has been positive and from the members of this forum, I feel they make excellent products relative to a lot of the crap out there. You can depend on them for the most part to make a quality product. That being said, I meant (in my second statement) that maybe there are things intrinsic to the design of the TSX that may be out of anyone's control and that could make the SC less than what we want. I know personally, although I am sure the SC will perform well once they work it out, I would like to see more in the way of at least a 60 to 70 HP gain with engine management and aftercooler.
Old 07-04-2005 | 09:54 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Interesting, after a full year after selling my Acura TSX people still speak about the Comptech Supercharger. I'm actually glad that I sold the car becuase I couldn't of waited this long for power. They're still working on the kit then eh? After working on a few turbo charged cars and reading a ton about engine management, I think the best route for the Vtech would be the Supercharger. It's too bad that it's taking so long to make it though.

40-50hp? Are we talking WHP? How much is the kit going to cost, at least $4,000.00+? If you are paying that much, it would've been cheaper to buy something else that is already turbo charged. That's ridiculous, that kit should be putting down a lot more power than that.

-Wes
Old 07-05-2005 | 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wess
I think the best route for the Vtech would be the Supercharger.

-Wes
Why do you say this? I feel exactly the opposite....and it is "vtec" bte.

As far as the HP claims, they seem conservative, but you are going to get bigger hp from a turbo regardless, IMO.
Old 07-05-2005 | 10:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wess
Interesting, after a full year after selling my Acura TSX people still speak about the Comptech Supercharger. I'm actually glad that I sold the car becuase I couldn't of waited this long for power. They're still working on the kit then eh? After working on a few turbo charged cars and reading a ton about engine management, I think the best route for the Vtech would be the Supercharger. It's too bad that it's taking so long to make it though.

40-50hp? Are we talking WHP? How much is the kit going to cost, at least $4,000.00+? If you are paying that much, it would've been cheaper to buy something else that is already turbo charged. That's ridiculous, that kit should be putting down a lot more power than that.

-Wes
Comptech was showing 240 whp (up from around 170-175 whp stock) and the cost, including installation, will likely be around $5k.

So total, that's TL levels of power at about the price of the TL, but in a smaller, lighter, nimbler package.
Old 07-05-2005 | 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Comptech was showing 240 whp (up from around 170-175 whp stock) and the cost, including installation, will likely be around $5k.

So total, that's TL levels of power at about the price of the TL, but in a smaller, lighter, nimbler package.

And minus the power seat memory settings! haha
Old 07-05-2005 | 12:22 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
...Comptech was showing 240 whp...
You know, we keep saying this, but where did that number come from? I've never seen anything on Comptech website about what kind of hp the charger would bring.

So until we see a dyno from them, its all speculation.

Quick Reply: Comptech taking "pre-orders" on Supercharger for TSX