Comptech short shift and metal bushings installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 05:22 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Comptech short shift and metal bushings installed

Again, thanks to Jtso for helping me install the Comptech short shift and metal bushings. I love the shorter and more precise throws. For anyone who owns a 6MT, it is definitely a great mod for little money. I only paid $42 for the short shift and $17 for the metal bushings from ClubRSX. The metal bushings are a nice addition since it allows the shifts to be nice and tight with very little give. Jtso followed the Neuspeed instructions and it took much less time. It is much easier since you don't have to take apart the shifter once you get the center console removed.

Comptech short shift and metal bushings

Comparison between stock and metal bushings

Comptech short shift
Old 10-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:thumsup: I love my Neuspeed short shift and metal bushings.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

what do th metal bushings do for you, i have the comptech in, and i need it to feel tighter and have less movement (not shifting movment)
Old 10-16-2004, 08:49 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by TSX Cman
what do th metal bushings do for you, i have the comptech in, and i need it to feel tighter and have less movement (not shifting movment)
See this thread

"What they do is replace rubber with metal. This means that when you shift now there is flex because the rubber is soft. With the metal it takes away the flex so your shift is smoother and cleaner."
Old 10-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Hondaholic

Looks great .

Did you get the SS kit from ClubRSX as well, or just the bushings?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

any link on clubrsx where i can buy the shifter and metal brushing? linky please.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

look for the link to kurt bradley's friend in the original post about metal shifter bushings. i'm very sure he can sell them for cheaper than clubrsx
Old 10-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

ahhh...thanks xizor...

btw....still debating on your trade. ;-D
Old 10-17-2004, 03:05 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

I bought the bushings on ClubRSX and the Comptech Short Shifter from Scott at Acura of Escondido
Old 10-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xizor
look for the link to kurt bradley's friend in the original post about metal shifter bushings. i'm very sure he can sell them for cheaper than clubrsx
I would have to agree on that one. Give my friend Jeramy an email. ( jdkindle@yahoo.com ) He's the one that had them made and marketed them to ClubRSX.

I've got them in my cars.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wouldnt the metal bushing needs to be lubricated to make sure it moves smoothly or is the metal bushing is acting like a bearing type of bushing .. someone kind to elaborate on the the metal bushing besides it reduces flex?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
wouldnt the metal bushing needs to be lubricated to make sure it moves smoothly or is the metal bushing is acting like a bearing type of bushing .. someone kind to elaborate on the the metal bushing besides it reduces flex?
Did you read the ClubRSX thread? There is a lot of details on what it does and how it is installed. There is no lubrication needed as it is a direct replacement for the stock bushings that hold the shifter in place. Since it is made of metal, there's barely any movement with the shifter and creates a very tight shift from gear to gear. I think it is worth the money if you plan on adding the Neuspeed or Comptech short shifter.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Instructor

hey what's that metal plate looking thing that came with the comptech short shifter?

I installed my neuspeed short shifter and metal bushings during the summer and I love it. Funny how they just don't make it this short from the factory. After installing it in my TSX, i believe this is a must have for any future car of mine.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by sho-one
hey what's that metal plate looking thing that came with the comptech short shifter?

I installed my neuspeed short shifter and metal bushings during the summer and I love it. Funny how they just don't make it this short from the factory. After installing it in my TSX, i believe this is a must have for any future car of mine.
It's to remove the plastic piece (seen in picture three on the Comptech Short Shift) off the OEM stock shifter. When doing the install Jtso didn't use it since we were following the Neuspeed instructions. He just used the applicable sized wrench to get leverage to push the plastic piece off.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
9th Gear

Need some help to install my short shifter!

I managed to get all the way to the shifter housing. But I'm having trouble in removing the shifter cables (including the clamp). Do you just yank out the clamp or is there a special trick to do that? What about the shifter lever housing? Do you have to turn it in order to remove it?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by slctsx
Need some help to install my short shifter!

I managed to get all the way to the shifter housing. But I'm having trouble in removing the shifter cables (including the clamp). Do you just yank out the clamp or is there a special trick to do that? What about the shifter lever housing? Do you have to turn it in order to remove it?
use the neuspeed instructions, they're easier
Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 PM
9th Gear

Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:18 PM
9th Gear

Finally got it done. But I still have one question.

It seems like I can never screw the short shifter hard enough to the stock shifter. As a result, the stick seems to be wobbling. One thing I know I've missed was applying the Loctite stuff, which I will redo it later. But will this alone fix the problem?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Racer

mine wobbles too but i have applied the loctite already i do not know if it is supposed to be "wobbly"
Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by slctsx
Finally got it done. But I still have one question.

It seems like I can never screw the short shifter hard enough to the stock shifter. As a result, the stick seems to be wobbling. One thing I know I've missed was applying the Loctite stuff, which I will redo it later. But will this alone fix the problem?
Make sure that the stock shifter is pushed all the way down on the short shifter. The Loctite will permanently secure the shifter and the two screws on the short shifter should be able to tighten flush with the short shifter. If not, the stock shifter is not pushed down far enough.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by AZTSX
mine wobbles too but i have applied the loctite already i do not know if it is supposed to be "wobbly"
did you tighten the screws on both side? I had the same problem b/c i only did 1 side.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Racer

this is no bueno lol i am gonna have to go ahead and check it out wont the loctite affect the screws? i thought i tightened it on both sides
Old 10-19-2004, 06:34 PM
9th Gear

I thought I did try to push it down as far as possible, but maybe not enough. I'll have to try it again. So, you guys are saying the screws should be flush with the short shifter if it's installed properly and the ball on the stock shifter should have passed the screws, right?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Make sure you back out the set screws far enough to clear the stock shifter. Otherwise, it's not going to go in. Once the shifter is in place, you should be able to tighten the set screws leaving about 1mm thread exposed on the outside.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:46 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by JTso
Make sure you back out the set screws far enough to clear the stock shifter. Otherwise, it's not going to go in. Once the shifter is in place, you should be able to tighten the set screws leaving about 1mm thread exposed on the outside.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially since Jtso was the one who installed it for me this past weekend and we ran into this same issue. He realized that something was off when we couldn't tighten the set screws very far.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Racer

ive noticed i have had to push a lil harder than before to get into reverse is this normal or should i be worried alsothe loctite wont be an issue for the set screws correct?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by AZTSX
ive noticed i have had to push a lil harder than before to get into reverse is this normal or should i be worried alsothe loctite wont be an issue for the set screws correct?
well every gear should be harder to push into since you're using a shorter lever. by pushing harder you make up for the shorter distance of the throw. you'll get used to it after a while.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Racer

ok thats what i figured i was beginning to get a lil worried after i found out the shiftter isnt supposed to jiggle around in gear aka "wobbly"
Old 10-20-2004, 09:41 AM
9th Gear

Yeeha! I finially got it done properly after taking the center consol apart 3 times. I think I'm becoming a pro in doing this. And thanks to you guys for the tips on using the Neuspeed instruction instead. It is really easier!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Seen many tips of using the Neuspeed instructions. How permanent is the loc-tite? How necessary is it? Would it make it much more difficult/impossible to remove the Comptech in the future if the need arose? What I am getting at is, the Neuspeed instructions don't mention using it, and I'm betting their shifter is pretty much exactly the same as the Comptech (from the pictures I've seen anyway), so would it be a big problem if I skipped that step?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
Seen many tips of using the Neuspeed instructions. How permanent is the loc-tite? How necessary is it? Would it make it much more difficult/impossible to remove the Comptech in the future if the need arose? What I am getting at is, the Neuspeed instructions don't mention using it, and I'm betting their shifter is pretty much exactly the same as the Comptech (from the pictures I've seen anyway), so would it be a big problem if I skipped that step?

Thanks for the input.
The loc-tite is just an extra security measure from the short shifter coming off the stock shifter. I don't think it is necessary since the 2 small tightening screws should hold the short shifter in place. When Jtso helped me install mine, we ended up using it since I don't plan on removing the short shifter even if I sell my TSX in the future.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Quick question on the Loc-Tite...

If you do use it, is it still possible to get in apart in the future if decide to revert back to the original setup?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer

Thanks for the input.
the Neuspeed doesn't come w/ any nor does it say you need it. I've never felt like I was lacking anything w/ my Neuspeed
Old 10-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Comptech SS came with green loctite, so you can remove the SS later if you wish with hand tools. The red loctite however, will not come apart so easily.