Comptech SC on hold INDEFINATELY

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005 | 11:21 AM
Instructor

Comptech SC on hold INDEFINATELY

Got a depressing email from Comptech today...

-----Original Message-----
To: 'Nick Smith' <dcsportlxi@tmail.com>
Subject: RE: TSX - Supercharger
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:27:18 -0700

Nick,

At this point in time the TSX Kit is on hold indefinitely due to problems
integrating the electronics into the ECU, and the fact that the 05 ECU is
also completely different, and would require even more changes. For more
info, try tech@comptechusa.com. Thanks for considering Comptech.

Comptech

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 3:29 PM
To: info@comptechusa.com
Subject: TSX - Supercharger

Hello,

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the kit, but my Acura dealer says
you're still fiddling with the ACM? Any projected release date?

Thanks!

Nick Smith
Arrrrgh!
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:23 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

:troutslap
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:25 AM
Photography Nerd

I had doubts about their piggyback system from the start. K-Pro is the savior.
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I still think the K-Pro is possible and perhaps available sooner if the two companies combine resources.
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:42 AM
Photography Nerd

No doubt the K-Pro + Comptech S/C would be an awesome combo but I can imagine this will be a very expensive kit. Perhaps too expensive to justify.
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:48 AM
Engineer

hopefully things work out..i can't wait to see some tsx's runnin on boost in this club...
Old 08-08-2005 | 11:50 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Old 08-08-2005 | 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

No doubt the K-Pro + Comptech S/C would be an awesome combo but I can imagine this will be a very expensive kit. Perhaps too expensive to justify.
True, perhaps a reflash tuned to work with the SC would lower the cost. Not to mention the SC price should be lower without the ACM.

Btw, I don't really want the SC, just the K-Pro.
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:01 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Do you guys think that it was honda’s diabolical plan to make the ecu difficult to crack? Is anyone even attempting FI with the TL?
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:36 PM
HOWARD911S

like i always said... tsx is good. but tsx is as good as tsx will ever get, save all those money , invest it and get a TL or G35 or a high horsepowerd car to start with, for example
our car , though bigger displacement, is still kinda similar to prelude, barely larger displacement, and slightly bigger HP. I had a 01 CL-S, bone stock, at a stop light one midnight, this prelude ( the lastest generation one) pull up, cant tell under the hood, but from outside, air dam, dual exhaust shiny stainless steel like Trust or those high end type, engine has the hissing air sound, and he was revving it.
At green light, we both punched it, the race lasted about 1/2 mile near my house straight line, flat wide open road. when i get to the red light 1/2 mile down and fully stopped. that is when he barely pull up..........so save money toward next car
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the 05's were Acura's diabolical plan. DBW with a VSA is simply a difficult thing in general. You have to map throttle positions, fuel ratio, etc, so there are lots of dependencies (my guess). As Dan said, probably a cost issue. Hondata is a business too and if you look at the numbers, the TSX is only at 40k units. The TL alone broke that number last year. But then you take all the years of Civics and RSXs (which neither have the complexity) and its a numbers game. The TSX just doesn't add up at the moment.
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JTso
I still think the K-Pro is possible and perhaps available sooner if the two companies combine resources.
help us Hondata. I have forced inducted dreams.
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Howard911s
like i always said... tsx is good. but tsx is as good as tsx will ever get, save all those money , invest it and get a TL or G35 or a high horsepowerd car to start with, for example
our car , though bigger displacement, is still kinda similar to prelude, barely larger displacement, and slightly bigger HP. I had a 01 CL-S, bone stock, at a stop light one midnight, this prelude ( the lastest generation one) pull up, cant tell under the hood, but from outside, air dam, dual exhaust shiny stainless steel like Trust or those high end type, engine has the hissing air sound, and he was revving it.
At green light, we both punched it, the race lasted about 1/2 mile near my house straight line, flat wide open road. when i get to the red light 1/2 mile down and fully stopped. that is when he barely pull up..........so save money toward next car
EH well I'd rather have the TSX over a TL.
The TSX is just that more balanced.
Also along with the fact that K24 has potential.
Theres nothing wrong with wanting more power out of the TSX.
Old 08-08-2005 | 12:53 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by drkangel348
EH I'd rather have the TSX over a TL.
The TSX is just that more balanced.
Also along with the fact that K24 has potential.
ahh but is unrealized potential really potential? (per the thread title)
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:00 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
ahh but is unrealized potential really potential? (per the thread title)

ah.....illl still save money for that future higher horsepower car. ill save the money while infiniti, acura, lexus, whichever ever my next car is unleash that potential in their future car. so i dont have to worry about that potential after i leave the showroom
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:07 PM
send me a link to JDM??

ah.....illl still save money for that future higher horsepower car. ill save the money while infiniti, acura, lexus, whichever ever my next car is unleash that potential in their future car. so i dont have to worry about that potential after i leave the showroom
oh hey I agree I was helping out your point... I mean, the TSX was about at the top of my price range and I needed a car. Otherwise yeah I prolly would have gone with a more expensive car (not the TL but that's just cause I'm not a huge fan of the styling) I def know what you mean tho...
Old 08-08-2005 | 02:55 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
oh hey I agree I was helping out your point... I mean, the TSX was about at the top of my price range and I needed a car. Otherwise yeah I prolly would have gone with a more expensive car (not the TL but that's just cause I'm not a huge fan of the styling) I def know what you mean tho...

(((WERD)))!
Old 08-08-2005 | 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I understand what you are saying. But some people treat cars like a hobby, such as music, aquarium. Etc. You initially buy the "best platform" to build on, and slowly adding more and more to make it even better regardless how good it was to begin with. One can't have a big enough fish tank, clean enough music, low enough bass or fast enough cars. Once the current platform is maxed out or lack of future potential, then one would go out and find the next "better platform" and the cycle continues.
Old 08-08-2005 | 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

THAT SUX !!!
Old 08-09-2005 | 03:23 PM
Drives With Hands

Somehow this news does not surprise me in the least. Provided anything DOES become available for our cars, I won't bother putting it under my hood unless it either reflashes the ECU or utilizes a standalone replacement ECU.

A piggyback ACM is to an i-VTEC ECU what the Iraqi Information Minister was to anybody watching the news. The ECU will just look at the falsified signal, shake its head and disregard it. I will be surprised if anything substantial can be accomplished on our cars with a piggyback of any sort.
Originally Posted by JTso
I understand what you are saying. But some people treat cars like a hobby, such as music, aquarium. Etc. You initially buy the "best platform" to build on, and slowly adding more and more to make it even better regardless how good it was to begin with. One can't have a big enough fish tank, clean enough music, low enough bass or fast enough cars. Once the current platform is maxed out or lack of future potential, then one would go out and find the next "better platform" and the cycle continues.
Exactly. When I used to run marathons, I didn't do it because I had to get somewhere 26 miles away and I had no other means of doing so. I did it because I enjoyed running. I enjoyed the dedication and the discipline of maxmizing the utmost potential out of something (my body in this case) rather than simply reverting to something else (a bicycle or a car); the toil and frustration of trying and coming short again and again, and finally, the ultimate catharsis of overcoming my obstacles - fatigue, doubt and physical pain - and meeting the goalpost I strove for so long to reach.

There are a million and one allegories to why we modify our cars: why we overclock our computers, why we run marathons, why we shoot .50 caliber holes in paper a thousand yards away for no apparent reason. Those were/are my pursuits. Other enthusiasts here will invariably have others, and if not, will at one point in their lives find another compelling force with the same puzzling appeal. The common thread between all of these hobbies is striking: we pursue perfection. But it is the pursuit that is the true sweetness of the deal. The perfection itself, if ever attained, is a brief moment of satisfaction before we move on to the next challenge.
Old 08-09-2005 | 03:42 PM
Photography Nerd

Good post rmpage!

Personally, I mod to learn.

Computer wise, I was running a 3 drive fiber channel array in my home machine in 1998 that I yanked out of a server I found in a dumpster. Not because it was fast, not because I wanted bragging rights, I did it because I wanted to find out how the hell it worked.
My parents always wondered why my computer sounded like a jet at takeoff, so I took the opertunity to go figure out how to watercool my P3 450. I rigged up my own radiator using an oil cooler for a pickup truck and made my own waterblock out of an old heatsink and some plexiglass. I am an OG at HardOCP.

For cars, my dad and my uncles are all very handy and they taught me how to work on small engines when I was probably 13 or 14. I raced R/C cars semi professionally for a short while (made it as high as 4th at the Canadian Nationals in 1/10 nitro offroad trucks). When I turned 16 I got out of R/C and started modding my mom's Camry that I drove to school. After I bought my own car, the modding floodgates were open.
Old 08-09-2005 | 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

It's not how fast you accomplish a goal. It's the lessons learned along the way that matter the most.
Old 08-09-2005 | 04:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I'm 100% with all of guys. I mod for the fun and challenge. No matter what car I have, I will always mod. I enjoy doing my installs. Even though sometimes it sucks, it's a very rewarding feeling when you finish.

A lot of my friends are the complete opposite. When they look for a car, they want something they can buy and not have to do much to. When I look for a car, I look for something that has mod potential. In fact I almost considered not getting the TSX, just because the OEM HU is pretty much impossible to go without.

I've noticed that I mod every single thing I can get my hands on. From my computer to Tivo to Ps2 to Xbox to my Cell Phone to portable video player...etc etc. Modding is just so damn fun
Old 08-09-2005 | 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm a very casual mod'er, but personally think it helps to personalize and make your car your own. Regardless of the platform you start with, it's the little things you do that help put some extra pride into what you got.

And Dan, I wanna see pics of that computer!!!
Old 08-09-2005 | 08:39 PM
Professional Newbie

this sad news from comptech has turned into a touching moment between mod addicts
Old 08-09-2005 | 09:38 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Good post rmpage!

Personally, I mod to learn.
After I bought my own car, the modding floodgates were open.
you helped me realize that i didn't have cracked bushings

:troutslap
Old 08-09-2005 | 11:50 PM
Photography Nerd

^^ Perfect example of me learning something while modding.

You're banned by the way.
Old 08-09-2005 | 11:52 PM
Drives With Hands

Computer wise, I was running a 3 drive fiber channel array in my home machine in 1998 that I yanked out of a server I found in a dumpster. Not because it was fast, not because I wanted bragging rights, I did it because I wanted to find out how the hell it worked.
My parents always wondered why my computer sounded like a jet at takeoff, so I took the opertunity to go figure out how to watercool my P3 450. I rigged up my own radiator using an oil cooler for a pickup truck and made my own waterblock out of an old heatsink and some plexiglass. I am an OG at HardOCP.
Yep, computers are another one of my hobbies. Nothing cools down a CPU like a refrigeration unit:

Yes, that's frost.

That's a P4 3.0C runing at 4.2GHz, 280FSB and 1.8vCore thanks to extreme chilling. The display is showing CPU cooling head temperature in Celsius. This was over a year ago, when there was no system close to as fast as this on the market (and in many aspects there still isn't). She's gone now, replaced by a stock-clocked, air-cooled Athlon 64 4000+. I've decided to give overclocking a bit of a rest for now.

Pretty much anytime I have something that I know can be made better, or with unlocked potential hidden inside of it, I can't stop thinking about what I can do to it until I try. Unfortunately this sometimes results in me breaking whatever I am trying to optimize, but whatever. Noting ventured, nothing gained.
Old 08-10-2005 | 12:06 AM
Photography Nerd

I was considering doing a similar thing but DIY with some wacky medical equipment I found at a surplus store. After hearing the thing power up and sound like an abused coke machine you'd find outside of a motel, I decided to take a pass.

My machine is fast enough for my needs and air cooling is pretty quiet now so my box is pretty plain.

And on that note I think we can officially call this thread
Old 08-10-2005 | 06:24 AM
Instructor

The more I poke and Prod the more I have a feeling we won't see the K Pro for a few years for a TSX. I don't even get a warm and fuzzy about the 05 Flash but that one might surprise me.