Comptech S/C Where R U? ***Pics P.3!***

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Holla Back Youngin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think i might just go turbo as well... which one will be easier to maintain.. and cheaper to maintain? i want 250-300whp
Old 11-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
sc is way easier to maintain all yo uhave to change or check periodically is the belts. if 250-300, i'd go with the sc. comptech intake, header, exhuast, sc was puttin down 240. if yo ucan get the injen intake to work .. you'll probably get another 10. cahnge the header .. probalby 5? .. change out the exhuast probalby another 5?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
sc is way easier to maintain all yo uhave to change or check periodically is the belts. if 250-300, i'd go with the sc. comptech intake, header, exhuast, sc was puttin down 240. if yo ucan get the injen intake to work .. you'll probably get another 10. cahnge the header .. probalby 5? .. change out the exhuast probalby another 5?
And why you don't think TC is not gonna be easy to taken care of? I don't think you have to change a thing on a "properly" set up turbo. No belts. All you have to do is use a better oil.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Tsex on 19s
I think i might just go turbo as well... which one will be easier to maintain.. and cheaper to maintain? i want 250-300whp
S/C is always more reliable in the end. turbo will see a higher max horsepower numbers.

hondas aren't made to be turbo'd. unless you spend tons of cash building the motor, and even then, dont expect the life expantancy of your motor to remain intact.

dzuy, who is eyeing the comptech supercharger.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-19-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro

S/C make better low-end/mid power, turbos are all about high-end.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as maintenance concern, there shouldn't be any reliability problems if the setup is done right and tuned right, regardless of SC or TC. A TC running at 6 psi will not be less reliable than a SC running at the same psi. If anything, the TC has the advantage of an intercooler to pump cooler air into the combustion camber. Whereas the SC is always pumping hot air.

Hondas are not designed to run boost from the factory. That's why the ECU freaks out when the MAP sensor detects boost. It's true TC setup has the capability to run higher boost easily and people often got carried away and blow up their engines. However, if SC has the same capability and run higher boost, wouldn't you think the engine will have the same problem? When an engine blows up, is it the fault of the equipment or the operator?

Choose your FI and I'll see you at the darkside.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by JTso
As far as maintenance concern, there shouldn't be any reliability problems if the setup is done right and tuned right, regardless of SC or TC. A TC running at 6 psi will not be less reliable than a SC running at the same psi. If anything, the TC has the advantage of an intercooler to pump cooler air into the combustion camber. Whereas the SC is always pumping hot air.

Hondas are not designed to run boost from the factory. That's why the ECU freaks out when the MAP sensor detects boost. It's true TC setup has the capability to run higher boost easily and people often got carried away and blow up their engines. However, if SC has the same capability and run higher boost, wouldn't you think the engine will have the same problem? When an engine blows up, is it the fault of the equipment or the operator?

Choose your FI and I'll see you at the darkside.

people seem to think that TC's are more dangerous or prone to blow up motors than SC's.. either way they are both way to boost your car and both have pro's and con's.. both can be dangerous if not tuned correctly..

CN TC for me
Old 11-19-2004, 08:47 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i love my TSX and all but I feel like if it had much more power than it does the torque steer will start to get pretty nasty. don't hate me for saying this but i feel like a car that has a lot of power is better off having RWD or AWD
Old 11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Holla Back Youngin

well cn tc is what my eye is stuck on... time for some research
Old 11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Holla Back Youngin

well cn tc is what my eye is stuck on... time for some research
Old 11-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i love my TSX and all but I feel like if it had much more power than it does the torque steer will start to get pretty nasty. don't hate me for saying this but i feel like a car that has a lot of power is better off having RWD or AWD
240whp is the limit for FWD cars, which is why I am getting the Comptech Supercharger.

BTW: Turbos need to be replaced, superchargers only need belt replacing after a few years.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro

Why don't you guys start a Cybernation turbo thread?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by drkangel348
240whp is the limit for FWD cars, which is why I am getting the Comptech Supercharger.

BTW: Turbos need to be replaced, superchargers only need belt replacing after a few years.

240 whp can be accomplished by boosting low on a turbo 7psi maybe..
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Teh seX

Why don't you guys start a Cybernation turbo thread?
Good idea.. will do. sorry for getting OT..
Old 11-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Holla Back Youngin

Turbo's need to be replaced? how often?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Stokeless

I had a turbo for 3 years and never had a problem. TURBO>suprercharger. In terms of power to the wheels. Less paracitic loss, and ability to adjust boost.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Holla Back Youngin

werd
Old 11-21-2004, 03:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
I had a turbo for 3 years and never had a problem. TURBO>suprercharger. In terms of power to the wheels. Less paracitic loss, and ability to adjust boost.
Turbos have zero parasitic loss. They are powered purely by exhaust gasses rather than the engine itself as superchargers are.

As for durability, high quality turbochargers and using common sense will make them last for the life of the car. I used to own a twin turbo Z with upgraded turbochargers and I drove the hell out of that car. I religiously changed the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic every 3K miles and, after driving the car hard or after extended periods of boost, I made sure to keep the car running for a while to keep oil circulating to the turbochargers. I never had a problem with those turbos despite driving the car at high boost for extended periods.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Turbos have zero parasitic loss. They are powered purely by exhaust gasses rather than the engine itself as superchargers are.
Well it's not quite zero because turbos create backpressure in the exhaust system which robs the engine of some power.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Stokeless

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Well it's not quite zero because turbos create backpressure in the exhaust system which robs the engine of some power.
True but it is significantly less.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Pro

You can adjust boost with pulleys with superchargers, also s/c usually gives you better low end and mid range power.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

You can adjust boost with pulleys with superchargers, also s/c usually gives you better low end and mid range power.
True with respect to low end, off the line power. Untrue with respect to mid range power. High quality ball bearing turbochargers produce excellent power practically throughout the entire range.

Superchargers produce more linear power because they simply don't have as much potential to produce as much high end power as a turbocharger. You might be able to get 50 or maybe 100 more hp when you supercharge a 2.0 to 2.4 liter engine. Even a relatively small turbocharger with fairly linear power curve, can generate an additional 100 to 150 more hp. If you use one of those moster sized turbos (which actually does have poor low end and mid range power), then you can easily get hundreds more horsepower.

The point is, if you compare a typical supercharger to a giant turbo, yes, low and mid range power suffers at the expense of massive high end hp.

But, if you want to build, say, a 280 hp max power motor, the relatively small and efficient turbocharger needed for that modest increase in hp would provide a power curve that is practically as linear as the supercharger that can generate the same amt of hp.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well my question what is better for the tsx?

i know that a turbo tends to make high end power, but you have the chance if getting turbo lag.
the s/c has low end torque and power, but it loses the high end.

just speaking about the tsx, i believe that the low end would work better since honda's tend to have good top end. Plus i think that with a good low end it will work ok with the tsx's top end. that's my 2 pennies in thus discussion.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by NightHawk CL9
well my question what is better for the tsx?

i know that a turbo tends to make high end power, but you have the chance if getting turbo lag.
the s/c has low end torque and power, but it loses the high end.

just speaking about the tsx, i believe that the low end would work better since honda's tend to have good top end. Plus i think that with a good low end it will work ok with the tsx's top end. that's my 2 pennies in thus discussion.
well as they said before.. you dont have to get a monstrous turbo that will have much turbo lag.. get a small efficient turbo putting about 275 to the wheels and there will not be as much lag as you think and it may pull even harder in low end than sc
Old 11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a lot to consider when making a good FI system regardless of if you go supercharger or turbo. Our engine doesn't flow a whole lot of air so a small turbo can be used to save lag time. I think both the Comptech kit and the Cybernation kit will be very good kits. I could go either way. The only killer for me is if one kit was smog legal and the other wasn't.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Another thing to consider - the turbo lag (what little there is with a small, efficient turbo) is most noticeable just off the line. If you are driving briskly at over 3000 rpm and you hit the gas, you will not notice much, if any, turbo lag. If you are drag racing your car and you rev the motor up and launch hard, you will not experience turbo lag either. If you have an automatic, and you brake torque before launching off the line, you can actually build turbo boost and shoot off the line with much authority.

The fact that Hondas produce strong high end hp should not be a reason why one chooses a supercharger over a turbocharger or vice versa. Remember that Superchargers also have some lag. Their power curve is just a bit more linear, but it is by no means as lag free and responsive as a naturally aspirated, large displacement motor or a car equipped with nitrous.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

yea, but people usually never put the smaller more efficient one, they get the biggest one they can find.

i am aware of the benifits of small turbos, but in my opinion i think that s/c is better for tsx...
wait the turbo has a better top end and if tuned right good low end too....

man i'm confused, i think they both are good as long as done properly......
Old 11-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

yea, but people usually never put the smaller more efficient one, they get the biggest one they can find.
What are you talking about? There are many knowledgeable people who buy the correct product based on their set of defined needs. There are many, myself included with respect to my old car, who purchased small and responsive turbochargers over larger ones that have much higher hp potential.

Besides, with current technology, even mid size turbochargers, that produce as much power as you would want in a street driven, FWD car, generate significant amounts of hp and have very little turbo lag. For instance, the "Disco Potato" turbo used in one of SCC's project cars can generate over 400 wheel hp, yet has minimal turbo lag.

I think it's your perception that all turbos have significant turbo lag that is clouding your judgment.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Stokeless

Old 11-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
What are you talking about? There are many knowledgeable people who buy the correct product based on their set of defined needs. There are many, myself included with respect to my old car, who purchased small and responsive turbochargers over larger ones that have much higher hp potential.

Besides, with current technology, even mid size turbochargers, that produce as much power as you would want in a street driven, FWD car, generate significant amounts of hp and have very little turbo lag. For instance, the "Disco Potato" turbo used in one of SCC's project cars can generate over 400 wheel hp, yet has minimal turbo lag.

I think it's your perception that all turbos have significant turbo lag that is clouding your judgment.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:44 AM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

i understand what you are saying. turbo's have come a long way..... i think that i might have not said it the say that i mean it..... let me try again..

if a turbo application is done right (or s/c for that matter) it can produce very good results. i think it might be that pepsi/coke debate where they are basiclly putting down the same numbers (well we gotta wait and see the dyno #'s) but you get what you want based on preference. when i said the big turbo's i was thinking thoes custom turbo's that some people put on their cars, they are the biggest they could find. no doubt there are people who know what they are doing and will use efficiently a tubro setup.

i hope that explains it better....
Old 11-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

turbo?!? this thread is gettin too OT
Old 11-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

i understand what you are saying. turbo's have come a long way..... i think that i might have not said it the say that i mean it..... let me try again..

if a turbo application is done right (or s/c for that matter) it can produce very good results.

<snip>

i hope that explains it better....
Got it. I agree.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro

If you ask me which is best for the TSX, personally, I would say the SC. Since the first day i bought the car i realize that this ain't gonna be my dyno queen biatch. If I wanted a high powered car I would have gotten somthing else not TSX.
TSX on the other impressed me with the creamy engine, tranny, and the amenities that came with the car. SC tends to go along that way. With no holes to drill. Not as complicate to install as turbo (ie, no new headers, no plumbing). With the SC all I have to do is just strap on couple of belts here and there. SC also gives me the low-mid power that I need, and it has a pretty good throttle respose. With the case of SC, to me, it's also easier to remove from the car when i decide to trade in or sell it. The downside of SC is that I wouldn't get those hissing or that Psshhewwww sound from blow of vavle. ALSO, with SC it prevents me from overboost; thereore, resulted in engine damage.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro

Turbo is also the reason i'm considerring getting rid of TSX and buy a STI or EVO instead.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dzuy
turbo?!? this thread is gettin too OT
Old 11-26-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 697 Likes on 418 Posts
What kind of extra fuel consumption hit would you expect to get after adding an SC or a turbo to a TSX, just from regular driving?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Holla Back Youngin

the evo and the sti dont appeal to my eyes as the tsx does.. thas why i want the tsx body, with the power of an sti... now lets see what cybernation has to offer
Old 11-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
What kind of extra fuel consumption hit would you expect to get after adding an SC or a turbo to a TSX, just from regular driving?
You can figure about the same % increase in fuel consumption as your % increase in power.

Quick Reply: Comptech S/C Where R U? ***Pics P.3!***