Comptech intake – partial first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004 | 02:26 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Comptech intake – partial first impressions

What’s in the box: The Comptech intake consists of a larger air box upper housing (larger interior volume), high-flow sponge-type air filter and a 14” long tube with an air horn design that installs behind the front bumper that replaces the stock resonator. The system retains the stock lower air-box housing and black intake piping from the upper airbox to the throttle body. Under the hood, you have to look closely for the Comptech logo to even notice that the intake has been upgraded.

I have the upper half of the intake (airbox) along with the air filter installed. I will be installing the lower half of the intake as soon as I have a large amount of time to pull the front bumper cover.

First reactions: I already have the Comptech header and cat-back system installed, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect with the intake upgrade. The thing that I noticed the most was that the power delivery is much smoother and the car really wants to rev quicker. Note that this is all “seat of the pants” feel here, but the smoothness and apparent increase in power across the entire rev-range was nice – even without the lower-half of the system installed.

With this apparent increase in power, another question comes to mind: Would the results be the same with just a K & N filter upgrade? The only two things that changed were the interior volume of the airbox and the air filter. Could the stock air filter be restricting airflow that much? Or...Is the engine severely intake restricted and anything that improves it is noticeable.

I will have the lower half installed soon and will update this post. Also, dynos are on the way once I get to about 2500 miles (just over 1000 now).

-Tim
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:22 PM
Kickstand

I would recommend you get rid of the resonator ASAP as that is the majority of the restriction in the intake system. Then you will feel a gain
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Comptech intake – partial first impressions

Originally posted by tmalzahn

First reactions: I already have the Comptech header and cat-back system installed, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect with the intake upgrade. The thing that I noticed the most was that the power delivery is much smoother and the car really wants to rev quicker. Note that this is all “seat of the pants” feel here, but the smoothness and apparent increase in power across the entire rev-range was nice – even without the lower-half of the system installed.

-Tim
Tim, did you feel any power increase after the header and catback install? or you just now starting to feel the power after the intake install?
Old 01-13-2004 | 04:32 PM
ABP TSX

Post some pictures . . .

Please post some pictures when/if you have them available. I am interested as it keeps a stock appearance.

How much of an increase in interior noise with the Comptech intake?
Old 01-13-2004 | 05:54 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

JTso - <<power increase after the header and catback install>> I had the header and exhaust installed before delivery, so I do not know what it was like originally.

gsclifton - <<post some pictures >> I don't have a digital camera (yet) so no pics for now. Maybe someone around the office will lend me theirs. Stay tuned.

<<increase in interior noise >> Just a little bit. I assume once I remove the resonator, the sweet sound of VTEC will show up at full throttle. However, since the stock airbox is partially there, it should be quiter than other intakes.

Jab31169 - <<get rid of the resonator ASAP >> I agree. Hopefully, this weekend.

-Tim
Old 01-14-2004 | 03:35 PM
Racer

WE NEED PICS ... come on man ... I want to see pics of the INTAKE header and cat back

COme on man
Old 01-14-2004 | 10:08 PM
Automobile Aficionado

resonator= bad bad bad....has to be rid of

**no need to remove the bumper**
we need some pics!!!
Old 01-15-2004 | 12:16 PM
n00b

Sorry, this is the only smily about pics. I don't think this post is worthless, great review. But like everyone said, we need pics!!!
Old 01-16-2004 | 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by vwong

Sorry, this is the only smily about pics. I don't think this post is worthless, great review. But like everyone said, we need pics!!!
There are pics & how to install on the Comptech web site. Why would this intake be any different that removing the resonator & replacing stock filter with a K&N drop-in?
Old 01-16-2004 | 05:17 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Originally posted by miner
There are pics & how to install on the Comptech web site. Why would this intake be any different that removing the resonator & replacing stock filter with a K&N drop-in?
The only thing I can think of is that with the larger volume of air in the filter box, throttle response is better as the engine has to pull the air from a filtered "reserve" versus pulling it entirely through the intake for the first few fractions of a second. The air horn inside of the airbox also appears to be slightly larger, thus more of an air acceleration effect to the throttle body.

Also, is there a thread that describes how to get to the resonator without removing the bumper?

Less work = better weekend.

Yes, pictures are still on the way. I have the wife talked into a digital camera.

-Tim
Old 01-16-2004 | 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Also, is there a thread that describes how to get to the resonator without removing the bumper?

-Tim
Try this instruction. It has the steps to remove the resonator without removing the bumper.
Old 01-16-2004 | 10:43 PM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by JTso
Try this instruction. It has the steps to remove the resonator without removing the bumper.
That is a good link. I hope your wrist/arm/hand is very flexible. I read that one of the bolts is a b*tch to reach.
Old 01-16-2004 | 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll find out soon as that's what I've ordered.
Old 01-17-2004 | 08:30 AM
ABP TSX

Post results and pictures as well

I like the stock appearance and the fact that it does not greatly increase interior noise or drone. I wonder how much quieter this setup is then a full CAI system like Injen, etc?
Old 01-17-2004 | 12:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Has anyone dynoed the car before and after resonator removal? Can anyone comment on the change in sound? Does it become very loud?
Old 01-21-2004 | 07:51 AM
ABP TSX

The only thing I can think of is that with the larger volume of air in the filter box, throttle response is better as the engine has to pull the air from a filtered "reserve" versus pulling it entirely through the intake for the first few fractions of a second. The air horn inside of the airbox also appears to be slightly larger, thus more of an air acceleration effect to the throttle body.

Yes, pictures are still on the way. I have the wife talked into a digital camera.

-Tim
- Tim

Did you get that resonator over the weekend?
Old 01-23-2004 | 01:49 AM
Senior Moderator

The resonator is not that difficult to remove at all if you follow the K&N instructions. I used a 10mm ratchet box-end wrench to remove a few bolts and it came out without removing the bumper. It's actually a pretty straight forward process.

Here are all the pieces of the stock intake system.

Old 01-23-2004 | 08:05 AM
ABP TSX

-JT

That is sweet that you have already received and installed your setup.

I must ask the question again, how much louder did it make the cabin? I would assume that it is about the same as stock during normal city driving, but increases around 6 or when you get on the throttle.

In your opinion, how much louder is it over stock?
Old 01-23-2004 | 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gsclifton
-JT

I must ask the question again, how much louder did it make the cabin? I would assume that it is about the same as stock during normal city driving, but increases around 6 or when you get on the throttle.

I've been running without my resonator (slightly different than putting a CAI in) since August last year. There is a little more of a growl (oddly enough from the passenger side), but you don't really notice it that much at all. I choose to not do a CAI because I am in effect doing exactly what Comptech has done, but without the horn into the chamber where the resonator used to sit. My pics are in my sig.
Old 01-23-2004 | 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by gsclifton
-JT

I finished the installation late last night and only had a chance to start the engine and let it idle. I can't tell the sound difference during idle but I'm planning to test it under various condition tonight or during the weekend pending on some modification to the fog light cover. I have taken some before intake temp sample and will use it as comparison. But let me tell ya, the workmanship of this product is outstanding! I don't want to jack this post, so I will post pics in a new thread soon.
Old 01-24-2004 | 11:12 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Pictures (finally!)

I didn't have time last week to pull the resonator. I spent about six hours repairing a power antenna on my Legend.

However, I did get some pics of the Comptech airbox cover and the Comptech Strut Bar.

http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_01.JPG
http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_02.JPG
http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_03.JPG
http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_04.JPG
http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_05.JPG
http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_06.JPG

Also, Comptech Header shots. (OK, crummy photos, but it was really cold in the garage - I'll post better ones someday when I have time to set up good lighting.)

http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_07.JPG
http://www.visi.com/~tmalzahn/tsx-pics/tsx_comp_08.JPG

-Tim
Old 01-24-2004 | 11:44 PM

looks nice, thanks for the pix! was the header easy to install? just unbolt oem header and bolt on the comptech with the spacer thingey? also, how was the installation for the strut bar? thanks!
Old 01-25-2004 | 12:12 AM
A Hobby Gone Awry

The strut bar was fairly easy. Took about an hour. I had to lightly sand the ends of the titanium cross-bar so it fit into the billet ends, but that was all. It also took a bit of maneuvering to get the old one out.

The header was installed by White Bear Acura before I took delivery. I did this because it is much easier to install exhaust stuff on a lift, so I let the pros do it.

-Tim
Old 01-25-2004 | 08:20 AM
Racer

TIM,

Having your headers and intake installed did you really notice any increase in performance? would you recommend this to other TSX owners?
Old 01-25-2004 | 10:35 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

As I have stated earlier, I don't know what the car was like without the header and exhaust, but I like the results from a partial intake installation so far.

I'll know more in a month when I have enough miles to get decent dyno numbers. 225 crank HP is still my goal. We'll see how close we are soon.

I am a veteran autocrosser, so handling is more important than outright speed. The rear sway bar is my favorite upgrade so far. There is nothing like playing with VSA at the edge...

My advice for modifying your car is: Decide on your goals, set a budget, get the parts. My goals were handling improvements and 225 crank hp, FWIW.

-Tim
Old 01-25-2004 | 11:01 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Make sure when you do your dyno you run the car up the rev limiter if possible. Seems the car is making peak horsepower with mods above 7100 rpms but for whatever reason comptech didn't include that info in their dyno sheets.
Old 01-31-2004 | 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

Have you noticed a difference with the comptech strut bar? I am thinking about upgrading the front bars and adding a rear sway, I don't know if i want to sink 319 bucks for nothing though.
Old 02-02-2004 | 10:36 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Originally posted by mscalo12
Have you noticed a difference with the comptech strut bar? I am thinking about upgrading the front bars and adding a rear sway, I don't know if i want to sink 319 bucks for nothing though.
The rear bar is the one to get if you are tight on funds. Major improvement in handling. The front STB is stiffer than the stock unit, but I bought it mostly for the esthetic value. (Just don't tell my wife.)

You would have to be on a racetrack with race tires to notice any difference with the STB replacement.

-Tim
Old 03-07-2004 | 08:51 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Any updates tmalzahn?
Old 03-08-2004 | 09:32 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

I finished the install (finally)

Sorry for the long delay in updating this thread...

I just finished installing the lower part of the intake last Saturday (3/6/04). Pulling the bumper cover was surprisingly easy. Pulling out the intake components was also easy (once I figured out where the mystery bolt was).

The lower install probably took a total of two hours as I took my time in removing the bumper cover so I didn't scratch it.

Here are two photos of the installed air horn:

I drove it to work today and I did notice a little bit more noise, but it was not overpowering for around town driving. Once you get it up in VTEC land, it sounds very nice and complements the exhaust note perfectly.

I asked my daughter (15) if she noticed more noise. She said it is starting to sound like the Integra. I don't know if that is good or bad, but I like the sound and the added seat-of-the-pants feel of the whole intake.

I should be able to get it to the dyno in a few weeks (over 4000 miles now). Also, I will soon start on my last mods - springs and short shifter.

-Tim
Old 03-08-2004 | 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: I finished the install (finally)

I should be able to get it to the dyno in a few weeks (over 4000 miles now). Also, I will soon start on my last mods - springs and short shifter.

-Tim
Tim, you know there's no such thing as "last mods". You might want to consider installing new shocks/struts at the same time, as well as camber kit and an alignment.
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:11 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Yep, all those are on the way also. In another thread, it looks like Koni is ready to ship some struts. I am taking a "wait and see" approach with the rear camber. Comptech would not tell me for sure if I needed the rear camber kit with the springs. I have the neat-o Acura ball-joint separator on order, so the install of a camber kit should be relatively easy.

I have this feeling that once the mods start, they just don't stop...

-Tim
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:11 PM
Audi Driving Snob

So I'm starting to seriously think about getting the icebox. do you still feel the improved throttle response? Any other gains that are different now that you installed the horn?
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:14 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Did you vent your foglight cover or do you have fogs? I'm definitely going to vent mine. If you do i'm betting you'd get a nice ram air effect right into the air horn.
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:21 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Originally posted by TinkySD
Did you vent your foglight cover or do you have fogs? I'm definitely going to vent mine. If you do i'm betting you'd get a nice ram air effect right into the air horn.
I have the fogs, so I am not sure on how to add direct venting. There should be enough cool air in there at speed anyway.

I still like the throttle response - both before and after the air horn install.

Hondata has a little intake mod for the RSX that bumps HP by a few. Maybe the TSX also has the same airbox intake restrictions and that is what I felt originally.

-Tim
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I have the neat-o Acura ball-joint separator on order, so the install of a camber kit should be relatively easy.
-Tim
I also have the Acura ball joint tool on order p/n: 07MAC-SL00200. However, I've heard the tool is currently back-ordered by Honda. Do you know when yours is coming?
Old 03-08-2004 | 10:37 PM
A Hobby Gone Awry

Originally posted by JTso
I also have the Acura ball joint tool on order p/n: 07MAC-SL00200. However, I've heard the tool is currently back-ordered by Honda. Do you know when yours is coming?
They didn't give me an exact date. It is mostly so I can pull the motor in my Integra, but it fits on the TSX also. I am not in a real hurry, but I hope it doesn't take more than a few weeks.

I really need to get the 'teg finished for autocross season. Otherwise, I will have to start the season in the TSX just to get points.

-Tim