Comptech Icebox with what filter...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Icebox with what filter...?

Ok, seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied with the foam filter comptech provides. I have the foam filter on right now and really have no comment on it.
what are your thoughts on other filters?
what kind of filter do you guys use?
And any pictures of other filters on the comptech icebox?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
8th Gear

I run a ITG foam panel filter.....but this required some modification to the Comptech Lid to fit. It is a much better filter and made a noticable performance increase.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peekay34
I run a ITG foam panel filter.....but this required some modification to the Comptech Lid to fit. It is a much better filter and made a noticable performance increase.
what kind of modification?
not just for me, but for other people who would be interested.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread, I have the OEM filter with my Icebox. Mine seems to fit OK. I seated the lid on and then tightened each screw a little at a time.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM
B A N N E D

i have the foam filter that came with the icebox
but then again its only been installed for two days
Old 08-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by euroStyle
Ok, seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied with the foam filter comptech provides. I have the foam filter on right now and really have no comment on it.
What is wrong with the uni filter? Do you know why people are disatisfied?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

using Spoon panel filter wif the Ice Box.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yfin
What is wrong with the uni filter? Do you know why people are disatisfied?
I agree, some actual details on why people are unhappy would help.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I forget where it is, but some statistics have been shown in how much air CFM (cubic ft/minute) on the various filters.

The foam filter comes in last place with the amount of air it lets through. Stock paper filter is slightly better. Then K&N is considered the best in regards to air flow.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
I forget where it is, but some statistics have been shown in how much air CFM (cubic ft/minute) on the various filters.

The foam filter comes in last place with the amount of air it lets through. Stock paper filter is slightly better. Then K&N is considered the best in regards to air flow.
any concern on the filter oil getting into the intake?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blurblur2
any concern on the filter oil getting into the intake?
If the filter is oiled properly then no concern.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

I use stock paper filter too since I still not able to find any local store that have k&n in stock. The form filter really sucks on hot & humid weather, it feels like driving with hand brake on!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I replaced my foam filter with a K&N today. I immediately noticed a deeper growl and my butt dyno felt a little more pull. Or maybe it was the plastic cookie wrapper that I pulled out of the snorkel that helped? Anyway, I think the K&N is definitely the better performer, but it's also a bit louder. But it does sounds great at WOT. I can't imagine how much louder the Injen or K&N intakes are. I surely couldn't handle it.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did your gas milage go down?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
I replaced my foam filter with a K&N today. I immediately noticed a deeper growl and my butt dyno felt a little more pull. Or maybe it was the plastic cookie wrapper that I pulled out of the snorkel that helped? Anyway, I think the K&N is definitely the better performer, but it's also a bit louder. But it does sounds great at WOT. I can't imagine how much louder the Injen or K&N intakes are. I surely couldn't handle it.
2 questions.

1) Does your Icebox lid have that bar across? (mine doesn't)
2) Did you have to modify the K&N filter in any way to make it seal?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ianS
I use stock paper filter too since I still not able to find any local store that have k&n in stock.
You could always order it. I found it pretty cheap online... Took 2 weeks to get to me, but it was cheap!

The form filter really sucks on hot & humid weather, it feels like driving with hand brake on!
Well, the way everyone's talked about the foam filter, I just got the drop-in K&N filter. Is there any reason to go with the Icebox over just removing the resonator? Talk about cheap mods.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by batman
Did your gas milage go down?
Since I only installed it today I'll let you know...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
2 questions.

1) Does your Icebox lid have that bar across? (mine doesn't)
2) Did you have to modify the K&N filter in any way to make it seal?
1) Nope, no bar on my Icebox
2) Nope, just dropped it in. Seems to fit snug.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vidgamer
You could always order it. I found it pretty cheap online... Took 2 weeks to get to me, but it was cheap!
Where did you order it? I think I'm gonna get one too.

Originally Posted by vidgamer
Well, the way everyone's talked about the foam filter, I just got the drop-in K&N filter. Is there any reason to go with the Icebox over just removing the resonator? Talk about cheap mods.
Two.
One: The Icebox takes air in at a lower point so the air temperature may be a little cooler (not much, but maybe a little). Also, the intake lines right up with the foglight cover so if you modify it with some slits (as JTso did) you get a bit of ram air effect. and
Two: The Icebox lid has a larger volume and smoother inner surfaces which, I think, get you improved throttle response.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
2) Nope, just dropped it in. Seems to fit snug.
Just what I wanted to hear
Old 08-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Instructor

After a few days of driving with the K&N in place of the foam filter I made a few observations:

1. Increased gas mileage by 1.5 mpg
2. The car feels slower at low RPMs < 3000. It may just be that I can hear how hard the 4 cylinders have to work to get the car moving because the intake is so much louder with the K&N
3. At highway speed throttle response is excellent. It feels like the car responds better at cruising speed.

Unfortunately I decided to put the foam filter back in because the intake growl is too obnoxious. With the foam filter there's a perfect balance between low noise at regular accelleration and the more aggressive growl when the RPMs are up there. Since I spend most of my time in traffic, I'm in the 2500 to 3500 range, where I think the K&N is just too damn loud.

This is a luxury sport sedan and since I'm in it at least two hours a day, I think I prefer being able to hear the radio to enjoy my stop and go commute. I'll try the factory paper filter and see if it's a compromise.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlukja

Two.
One: The Icebox takes air in at a lower point so the air temperature may be a little cooler (not much, but maybe a little). Also, the intake lines right up with the foglight cover so if you modify it with some slits (as JTso did) you get a bit of ram air effect. and
Is anyone concerned with hyrdo-lock running this set-up? anything one could do to prevent it?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by Tireguy
Is anyone concerned with hyrdo-lock running this set-up? anything one could do to prevent it?
Unless you live in an area hit by the recent Hurricane ... no worries of hydrolock with the Icebox.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Team Owner

Angry K&N filter doesn't fit my Icebox :(

I ordered the K&N filter last Friday, it arrived today. When I got home it was sitting there on my front porch so I immediately got to installing it in my Icebox. Bad news, the K&N filter does NOT fit my Icebox lid. It sits nice and snug on the lower, stock, portion of the filter box but the lid portion does not seal. There are these slight flares on the lid right around the screw holes and these interfere with making a tight seal. Also, the inside of the Icebox lid has rounded edges, unlike the stock lid which has a definite lip, and the rounded edges also don't allow for a tight seal. I inspected this very carefully and just could not see how to make it work without some serious cutting of the filter edge.

Worse news. When I was removing the Icebox lid I noticed that the OEM paper filter was not sitting flush in it either. When I removed the lid and the paper filter and dry fitted it I could tell that the plastic frame portion was hitting the inside portion of the flared air tube. So, the OEM filter doesn't fit my Icebox lid either. So, I found my OEM lid and used it and installed the K&N filter. With this setup I took a drive and was surprised how much quieter it was. So, I had been driving around with the air filter not fitting correctly, allowing some unfiltered air into the engine. I can't believe I didn't see this when I installed the Icebox in the first place.

Now I have 3 options. (1) Keep the setup as is, i.e. K&N filter and OEM airbox lid, or (2) Put on the Icebox lid and use the filter that came with the Icebox (which, I understand, is an inferior filter even to the OEM filter) , or (3) try to cut the K&N filter to try to make it fit into the Icebox lid (looks iffy). I'm keeping the lower portion of the Icebox kit (i.e. the airhorn).

What do you guys think?

edit: I'll try to post some pics later this week in case I didn't explain the problme well enough.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
So K&N Filter doesn't fit into Icebox?? Damn..

I have a K&N Filter just cleaned and re-oiled to be installed...
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by minkl81
So K&N Filter doesn't fit into Icebox?? Damn..

I have a K&N Filter just cleaned and re-oiled to be installed...
Others have reported that they were able to make it fit. I couldn't.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

my k&n filter fit snuggly inside of icebox but few adjustments will be needed for a perfect seal.
uni filter that came with icebox actually sits on top of the bottom portion of intake box versus k&n sits inside of it.
so with that fitment little metal screw holder (? don't know how to call that. spacer washer??) that is made for uni filter is too long and won't provide tight seal.
probably i'll have to pull that out and screw in with new washer.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:04 PM
10th Gear

Is there a difference using stock lid or the comptech lid using K&N filter?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

had installed the Icebox in 2 stages. initially was stock setup wif Spoon drop-in filter.

1) wif the Comptech lid, butt feel was a slight improvement when cruising, throttle felt slghtly lighter, maybe due to a larger ready volume of air. plus a louder intake growl.

2) wif resonator box removed and air horn installed. slight loss in low end, felt kinda empty below 3k rpm. but mid and high end does feel a stronger pull. plus the intake VTEC roar is addictive.

yet to try the Comptech foam filter. might give it a pass and get a K&N instead.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by minkl81
probably i'll have to pull that out and screw in with new washer.
the stock bolt is too long even w/o the aluminium spacer provided to have a gd fit for my case. might gotta source for a similar shorter bolt.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:02 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my icebox with k&n filter on Friday and checked to make sure that it made a tight seal and it did. I even had someone inside the car revving it while I felt for any leaks/listened for hissing between the top and bottom of the air box. I also did the ram air mod to the fog light delete panel, its kind of stealthy and it may not really make any difference, but it is nice to know your getting more air flow.

Over all I am pleased with it, I didn't want to post anything until I had a chance to drive for a couple of hours. I installed the DC header last week and the icebox this week and am planning on Hondata next week. With just the DC header and icebox the car pulls harder, revs up faster and is smoother and more responsive to drive. 5-7k RPMs is really fun now, I can't hardly wait for the hondata! The header created no extra noise, other then a mild rumble from about 3900-4100RPM's, barely noticeable but still there. The icebox is loud when your 3/4-WOT it seems to be progressively louder at higher RPM's too. The nice part is if you aren't driving hard, it sounds stock, at cruising speed it sounds stock, but if you down shift and nail it you get a hellacious growl. If you are cruising at speed rolling at low RPM's(under 3.5k) and floor it, the intake sound changes, but it doesn't sound good, the engine is very much under load down in the lower RPM range and it becomes much more apparent with the icebox.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blurblur2
the stock bolt is too long even w/o the aluminium spacer provided to have a gd fit for my case. might gotta source for a similar shorter bolt.
I'm finding the same thing. I installed one layer of auto/marine weatherseal inside (like this ) the Icebox lid to get the lid and K&N filter to fit tight. Did that yesterday and noticed that the stock bolt, even when tightended down fully, still allows a little play between the lid and the filter box. I'll see if an additional washer might help, and maybe another layer of weatherseal.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

some feedback. was checking the top lid n found very fine particles or dust inside, only to discover dat the lid was unable to close fully wif the Spoon filter due to the internal intake funnel resting on the filter.

gotten a K&N filter and had lined the perimeter of the top lid wif a strip of insulation foam. fits snuggly. took it for a spin, found the intake sound not as loud. oso the low end torque felt stronger, maybe more of a recovery then a gain due to the leak.

btw, any of u guys running the Comptech wif fogs? any suggestions to route air in from the front? or izit unnecessary? juz to share, the Mugen intake comes wif an air guide to be fitted below the bumper opening.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:58 AM
B A N N E D

bump
i wish the k&n would fit snug.
has anyone perfected it yet?
any further ideas to make it fit?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 925tsx
bump
i wish the k&n would fit snug.
has anyone perfected it yet?
any further ideas to make it fit?
I have a frame around the inside of the icebox lid - is about 1cm all the way around and stuck to the lid with windscreen sealant. The lid now seals perfectly and any fllter can be used. You can use a fairly thick plastic kitchen board and use a jigsaw to make the frame.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by yfin
I have a frame around the inside of the icebox lid - is about 1cm all the way around and stuck to the lid with windscreen sealant. The lid now seals perfectly and any fllter can be used. You can use a fairly thick plastic kitchen board and use a jigsaw to make the frame.
pics?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

I've done mine and pics are posted here.

K&N Filter with Comptech Icebox