Old 11-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmm, i see...thanks, still digesting...
yes, my last accord was rev-happy.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Jewdacris!!

what if you have an automatic? how does that realte?can it still be used in conjuncation with an auto or would a flywheel only work with a manual?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I completely agree with sauceman and will also be looking into a LFW upgrade, there is one side effect of a LFW. If you let off the gas, you don't have the inertia of the heavy FW to make deceleration more consistent, meaning, without the inertia a LFW will make deceleration quicker... alot quicker in the case of the TSX IMO.

Personally I like this, but for some people who have to fight traffic, it means letting off the gas slower so that deceleration isn't so prominent and abrupt.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:29 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by moda_way
Although I completely agree with sauceman and will also be looking into a LFW upgrade, there is one side effect of a LFW. If you let off the gas, you don't have the inertia of the heavy FW to make deceleration more consistent, meaning, without the inertia a LFW will make deceleration quicker... alot quicker in the case of the TSX IMO.

Personally I like this, but for some people who have to fight traffic, it means letting off the gas slower so that deceleration isn't so prominent and abrupt.
And its already very abrupt in the TSX (in 1st gear anyways).
Old 11-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, and I like it because I use decompression a lot, so it's an improvement for me. I don't use it in 1st gear though, it is rough, I just clutch in immediately and pull out of 1st.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

speaking of using compression to slow you down... I have always done so with my older manual transmissions and such.. always figured it help save the brakes and such.. but I read some where that it can hurt the engine? Is this true? Now with my auto TSX I still use the sport shifter to shift down and slow down... am I going to be doing long term damage?

Also, using this method to slow down... is it a mixture of engine compression and gears slowing the car down or just the engine compression... I always thought it was the gears slowing me down... hmmmm

Sorry if I shouldn't be asking this here....
Old 11-13-2003, 11:35 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Its the engine compression that provide the force to slow you down (hence the term "engine braking"), but of course the gears are a factor in that equation.

As for engine braking in a 5AT to slow down, as far as I know thats just not possible. Even in sportshift mode, when you let off the gas your engine is"disconnected" (rpms drop, etc). Remember, its still an automatic and thus that connection in the drivetrain is just not there.

I don't have a 5AT so if I am wrong about this someone please correct me.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

hmmm... i've heard the opposite with LFW and stalling a car... due to it's low weight, you have to really rev the engine and then engage the clutch... with a normal FW you can start off at much lower RPM because there is more mass.

Take an F1 car... the FW are tiny and require a lot of revs in order to not stall the car.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Audi Driving Snob

you can engine break in the 5at. The torque converter remains locked when you have your foot off the gas. In some instances, such as WOT, it unlocks to allow some slight torque amplification. I'm sure it's not nearly as abrubt as the MT since the gearing is so much taller(lower rpms in most cases) but you can definitely do it..and I do.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

fdl... thanks for the reply... as far as I can tell, the 5AT, when I down shift in the sport shift mode it feels the same way as my old manuals did.... the rpms actually go up at first and then start to go down as the car slows down... but I may not be understanding what you were speaking of...
Old 11-13-2003, 11:53 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DEVO
hmmm... i've heard the opposite with LFW and stalling a car... due to it's low weight, you have to really rev the engine and then engage the clutch... with a normal FW you can start off at much lower RPM because there is more mass.

Take an F1 car... the FW are tiny and require a lot of revs in order to not stall the car.

Having to rev the hell out of the engine to launch can sometimes be because of the clutch. Those super strong race clutches for example require alot more revs to get going (but when they hook up, they really hook up!)
Old 11-13-2003, 11:57 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TinkySD
you can engine break in the 5at. The torque converter remains locked when you have your foot off the gas. In some instances, such as WOT, it unlocks to allow some slight torque amplification. I'm sure it's not nearly as abrubt as the MT since the gearing is so much taller(lower rpms in most cases) but you can definitely do it..and I do.
Hmm...ok..interesting. I think I may have to try out one of these sport shifts one day. Perhaps they deserve more credit then I have been giving them
Old 11-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Audi Driving Snob

I want an smg All the benefits, none of the hastle.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by DEVO

Another reason, besides what FDL was saying, (which by the way is very true, so true in fact that some clutches won't allow you a single miss, if you do, then next try, the clutch is toast) is that many race cars, F1 included have very tall 1st gears, and need high revs (min 3500rpm, would be like just letting the clutch go while not touching the gas) and some slipping to get them going.

I can tell you by experience that an LFW makes the car less easy to stall. One of the reasons is that if you feel you are gonna stall, on a normal Honda, it is already too late. When you have a flywheel, since less inertia is present, one single ignition is enough to keep the engine from stalling at 150rpm (tried it) and get it back to idle.

When I got in the TSX, I had seriously had a hard time adapting back to how much a staller Hondas were with heavy flywheels.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Kickstand

the only thing thats really going to make a differance with this car is weight reduction. If you can shed about 200lbs or so off your TSX you will feel a nice differance.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:08 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Jab31169
the only thing thats really going to make a differance with this car is weight reduction. If you can shed about 200lbs or so off your TSX you will feel a nice differance.
Thats not really true. At the end of the day you want a better hp:weight ratio and we can do that by lowering weight OR raising horsepower. Both will have the same affect in acceleration (although the weight reductions may help in handling as well).
Old 11-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Audi Driving Snob

That's not exactly true either fdl What weight does is give you a better torque/weight ratio at every point in the rpm band. With the mods for the tsx all you get is post vtec torque which only effects that narrow part of the curve. So what your saying is correct but it would probably take an extra 40 top end horses to compare to the gains you can see by shedding 200lbs.

BTW back to my old obsession: light weight wheels/tires. According ot the analysis i've done it will make way more different switching to some 16lb wheels and 22 lb tires than by getting the full comptech tune.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Ya, realistically in every day driving weight reduction will be better than an increase in peak hp. But ultimately in all out accel (When you stay in the meat of the hp/torque band) both weigt reduction or hp increase will basically yeild the same result.

EDIT: and yes wheel weight is a different issue.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro

does lighter wheel easier to damage?

my wife is pregnanted and i am thinink of swap 16" wheels with "higher" profile tires to suck up the bump on the road. don't know it will work or worse
Old 11-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Audi Driving Snob

higher profile tires will definitely absorb more bump. Handling will suffer a bit from the squish sidewalls.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Kickstand

Originally posted by fdl
Thats not really true. At the end of the day you want a better hp:weight ratio and we can do that by lowering weight OR raising horsepower. Both will have the same affect in acceleration (although the weight reductions may help in handling as well).
What I ment by my statment is the fact that it is going to be hard to squeeze alot of HP out of this car without going the supercharged or turbo route. Now if you did do the I/H/E and somehow magicaly shed 200lbs the car would feel very peppy. But as for now...spending $1400 to get 15HP at the wheels is very weak and pointless.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:56 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Jab31169
What I ment by my statment is the fact that it is going to be hard to squeeze alot of HP out of this car without going the supercharged or turbo route. Now if you did do the I/H/E and somehow magicaly shed 200lbs the car would feel very peppy. But as for now...spending $1400 to get 15HP at the wheels is very weak and pointless.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Agreed -- I decided I'm not gonna mod this car drivetrain wise at all. I did put the rear sway on and will spent some bucks on light wheels and tires.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by TinkySD
That's not exactly true either fdl What weight does is give you a better torque/weight ratio at every point in the rpm band. With the mods for the tsx all you get is post vtec torque which only effects that narrow part of the curve. So what your saying is correct but it would probably take an extra 40 top end horses to compare to the gains you can see by shedding 200lbs.

BTW back to my old obsession: light weight wheels/tires. According ot the analysis i've done it will make way more different switching to some 16lb wheels and 22 lb tires than by getting the full comptech tune.
Tinky, I don't think I've ever asked you this or at least can't remember you stating why. Since your obviously very interested in improving the acceleration of your TSX, why did'nt yoy buy 6MT? It can't just be becuase of LA traffic can it?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Actually I mainly just like tech discussion. To be honest speed isn't the biggest factor for me or I would have gotten an auto v6 or something. That being said I think getting some new wheels and tires is a way to really give your car some more go and better handling for a reasonable price. Along with not having to deal with any warranty issues. REally the reasons are as follows:

1) i suck at driving stick

2) for 5 years i drove through 1hour + traffic home from school/work. Commute is good now but it really soured me on everything.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I just want to add a final comment on the Comptech dynos and for those who are deceived by the results. Read this comment I made on the thread about sacrificing handling for power:

Originally posted by sauceman
I would like to say Amen to what Dan just wrote.

I would also like to add to Domn, and others who wished to see 220-240hp in the K24A2 or any other version of the K24, most likely it would not happen.

There is a major obstacle for this: Long stroke. In any engine, 99mm of stroke is a hell of a long stroke to play with, and this is what cripples the K24 at high RPMs. I don't believe that unless using a forged crank (which may be already used in the K24A2), and serious racing parts that Honda will risk inducing higher revs on that engine while retaining durability.

A certain amount of things could be done, but at other expenses:

1. Achieving 220hp on the K24A2 is possible, but that would mean, with a stock bottom the max power would be situated between 7300-7500 rpms, depending on the extra lbs-ft more agressive cams, ECU mapping and free-flowing intake/exhaust would liberate. It would most certainly mean a significant loss of driveability in the lower revs. Usually more agressive cams make less low end power. Same with exhausts.

Also consider this: If the maximum power was to be situated at 7300rpm, with the cutoff at 7400, this would mean that max torque would be somewhere between 5700 and 6200rpm, meaning that every shift would drop you below the powerband. There is a remedy to this, and it is called shorter gears. But it would make the TSX less of a highway cruiser.

2. Say Honda does create a K24B with a more agressive cam, a more agressive fuel map, exhaust/intake, and other subtleties, this will mean the TSX will no longer be a LEV2 compliant car.

And though most of us are not at all concerned by environment with our cars, It is one of the 2 top priorities at Honda. This is where I can very well imagine the truth in what the Honda engineer says. From an engineering standpoint, creating an engine with such high rpms, with good hp and tq figures for a four, and still having it meet up with strict LEV2 emissions standards is a feat in itself. It is even more a feat when you consider that this same engine can achieve over 36mpg.

3. You can get to 240hp easily, and this is by going the FI way. No way, not gonna happen at Honda. And even if it did, then again, the K24T would not be close to dreaming of being LEV2 compliant.

4. Honda could use 11.5:1 pistons, which would virtually be at the limit of what NA could handle with the quality of gas we have here, and we would be approaching 212-215hp. This would not be impossible, but would be a downside in that we would no longer be able to fill up on the occasion with 87. It would have to be a minimum of 93, and even then, in places like Texas, it could get risky.

5. This, to me is probably the most viable way of getting the TSX up to 230-240 hp, and not impossible the way I see it: Using a K22. Destroke the engine to 93mm, and with the same technology, you have a platform for creating a 8300-8500rpm screamer. Torque, under similar specs as the K24A2, or even with higher 11.5:1 pistons would be perched at around 160lb-ft at 5500rpm to 164lb-ft at 6200rpm, with a top hp figure of around 230hp at 7800rpm or 240hp at 8100 rpm. With the actual gearing, it could be a possibility. Could they make it LEV2 compliant? I don't know. One thing I know for sure, there would be some loss of driveability, but the pleasure factor would be absolutely way up there just the sheer fun of screaming all the way to 8500.

Will it happen? honestly I don't know. TSX was originally marketed for the mid-aged man who clings to sport cars. But this type of furious TSX would be adressed to people in their mid 20's but certainly with a price tag more in the mid 30K's US.

My
Old 11-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro

okay guys this dyno thing is going a little bit too far.
Sometimes dyno graphs aren't everything, sometimes they have already been "set up".
You see i know A LOT of company who tried to make their dynos show, because nowadays people just acting smart and pretend that they know everything!!! i mean at this moment a lot of people's response will be sth like "ok then i'll wait for the dyno graphs first before making any decissions". By just saying the work dyno it all of the sudden makes us look more as a racer!
Anyway i'm not trying to getting flame here.
So the companies that are making a go fast part will DO ANYTHING to make their parts sell.
For example, when you look at the dyno does it say anything about the ambient temp? altitute? fan speed? true air temp?
I saw a lot of companies who will do whatever to make the base line as low as they can but still reasonable. THEN they will force more air by putting more fans in front of the car. even more put an ice pack in front of the bumper. EVERYTHING that make gains look good.
i'm not saying that Injen is lying or anything maybe it is better than comptech. who knows?

As for the low gains on comptech I/H/E that's because maybe this car is already fine tuned. I'm talking about exhaust and intake system. You may not know this by a dyno graph from Fujisubo said that their exhaust is pushing out merely 5 horsepower at the wheel!!! i'm not lying. if you want proof just let me know i can post it up or give the link to you.
Aren't you guys happy that engineers already put more time on TSX?
To me i'm happy with all the gains on comptech and Injen it's only that Comptech is a little pricey that's all (i mean for that price)

If you want more power then do a head swap with a TODA camshafts and remapped ECU. i garantee that you'll get more than 250 at the wheels.

All of saying is just don't trust what dyno said too much. Dynos aren't everything!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Pro

yes, please post the link or dyno... i am dyno hungry..... how much extra hp/tq can people squeeze out of ITR in non-FI way?? wondering.... maybe we are on the same boat!!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Hi all, first post here.

I'm not experienced with correlation of dino to
real life subjective experience. many probably know better
what to expect.

I once modified a 90 hp motor. Went through three after
mkt cams to find the one that worked for me. It was really
sweet.

Then I installed a header. I can't say is was top quality.
I can't say it put more power to the road, but I loved it.
What it did was smoothed out the RPM range with a little
more lower end torque. and a nice sound.

What I see in the comptech header is more low end torque
is a plus. I think it is worth it.

I would pay for just the header and wait for a cheaper
exhaust. All I want for my TSX exhaust is the G35 coupe sound
anyway.

Does anyone have experience with comptech equipment
in the market place, will
there be cheaper knock-offs, will comptech lower price?

Tim
Old 11-23-2003, 03:33 AM
Stokeless

you will never have the same sound as a G35...3.5 V6 and a 2.4 4 banger will never sound alike the only way u can get that sound is by buyin a G35
Old 12-17-2003, 01:52 AM
4dr & I like it that way

TSXTim - comptech will most likely NOT lower your price, your best shot is to find a reseller who has good prices. there will probably be cheap knockoffs, but they will be just that: cheap knockoffs. for the v6 j-series engines, comptech headers provided significant gains, but they cost $1200 or something. OBX made knockoffs of the comptechs, same gains, and only cost $300-400, however the quality was much much worse and several people reported problems of crappy welds and odd vibrations/resonance.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:50 PM
NocturnaL

the dyno graphs aren't showing up, how much of a gain did the Comptech Headers give?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 PM
cmf
ATCer

Check their website, I think it's on there. www.comptechusa.com
Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 PM
NocturnaL

i did already, but they're updating their site or something, so its not showing up..