A little bit of new info on the Comptech SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little bit of new info on the Comptech SC

My friend notified me of this thread over on s2ki.

link

Someone confirmed the CompTech SC for the TSX will be out in 2-3 months.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:38 AM
E46 M3 New Toy *^^*

HOPE THIS IS TRUE..I will be in line
Old 04-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Sounds good. I think I'm going to go for a supercharger rather than the Turbo Charger. As far as I know with a supercharger the power is always there and it's the 0-60 time that needs the boost. On a turbo it doesn't kick in all the time, which is a good thing for gas mileage. I think I'm going to wait unti next summer to add the boost though. Gotta save money up for that one =).

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Racer

and the price for this SC is...5000 usd!? plus another 1000 usd for installation maybe!?
Old 04-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

I thought they cost around 2500-3500. If there in the 5000+ range then you can forget it lol. That mod is a little to much for me.

Westley
Old 04-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I just might be willing to make a move on something like this in a few years
Old 04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just make sure engine management is available before buying the SC or you'll be sorry.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
cmf
ATCer

JTso...please explain for I am a little slow when it comes to tuning a car......thanks!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:22 AM
E46 M3 New Toy *^^*

Originally posted by Dani
and the price for this SC is...5000 usd!? plus another 1000 usd for installation maybe!?
No way..at the max 3000...if any supercharger cost 5000 whats the point of even making them
Old 04-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Racer

I just read up briefly on turboSC vs. vanilla SC. For those who, like me, didn't know the difference, here's a cut-and-paste of a post that summarizes the differences:

superchargers are belt driven
turbochargers are exhaust driven.

turbos are good for higher exhaust flows and their power curve reflects a higher efficiency at higher rpms (more exhaust, more boost).

superchargers are good for lower engine speeds, and their efficiency reflects lower efficiency at higher rpms (harder to spin a belt faster).

nothing to do with engine size or anything. bigger engines push both equally better. larger displacement=more exhaust=more boost pressure. and more torque=less affected by load of supercharger.

I personally prefer turbochargers, only because I can always dump the clutch a little harder if I need to haul some butt. not so with supercharger. you lose a lot of that upper rev range.
Both ways are hard on the engine because of the added pressure being put on it. Typically, with a car that comes stock with a turbo or supercharger, they add heavier springs, valves, cylinder walls, etc, and also lower the compression ratio to compensate for it.
Of course, there was a little voice in my head telling me that Mac users can't be trusted to know stuff about cars, but I ignored it.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by dnl2ba
Of course, there was a little voice in my head telling me that Mac users can't be trusted to know stuff about cars, but I ignored it.
LOL...I'm a Mac user.....hey!, wait a second.....
Old 04-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Sile

S\C'd engines have bypass valves that allow the charged air from the blower to exit before it goes into the cylinders. Fuel effeciency is not effected while cruising and only decreases over stock with boost.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Just cant frickin slap on a supercharger....need some engine mods first!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TonyFresh
No way..at the max 3000...if any supercharger cost 5000 whats the point of even making them
Comptech supercharger pkg cost 4495 USD for both Acura TL-S and CL-S, so it's fair to say the SC for TSX will come out with something like tat
plus...with all other accessories you have to add in order to make the SC work out right, tat's another a couple of 100's
and...most likely people get SC installed by professional tuners, the installation fee is extremely high i believe

owell, the good thing is that there's always a bit difference between retail price and real price, but still...it's pretty easy to give away 5000 usd on this one^^
Old 04-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by cmf
JTso...please explain for I am a little slow when it comes to tuning a car......thanks!
It's all about providing the correct amount of fuel at the proper timing. The A/F ratio needs te be modified when boosting to prevent the engine from detonating due to lean condition. There are different ways to accomplish this but generally, some type of FMU (fuel management unit) is used to increase the fuel pressure based on boost pressure. The Jackson Racing method uses a FMU that provides a 5:1 ratio rise rate. It means the fuel pressure increases by 5 psi per 1 psi of boost. If you are boosting 6 psi, then the fuel pressure is increased by 30 psi. Cartech has an adjustable FMU which allows fine tuning of the fuel pressure rise rate.

Now, since more fuel is needed and it's being accomplished by increasing fuel pressure, can the stock injectors and fuel pump handle it if you increased the boost? Imagine if the stock fuel rail pressure at atmosphere pressure is at 48 psi. The total fuel pressure is 48 psi + 30 psi (6 psi boost) = 78 psi. What about tip-in detonation? Since we all know more fuel is needed to prevent detonation, what happens if the ECU is trying to maintain the A/F at 14.7:1 when you are boosting? This is a common problem with SC because the boost can come on so quickly when you step on the gas, the ECU can't react fast enough to switch over to open loop mode and allow the FMU to do it's thing with the extra fuel. This happens right at vacuum transitioning to boost. Jackson Racing also implemented an IAT mod which changes the resistance to the IAT sensor via a pressure switch and relay. This fools the ECU thinking the outside temp is very cold and increases the injector pulse width to apply more fuel. However, it's still not enough. Tip-in detonation still happens.

Now, all that stuffs are just basic requirements to run a SC setup for all the previous Honda engine setup. How to accomplish it in a K-series is a different story. The main problem is the fuel regulator sitting in the gas tank instead of on the fuel rail and the fuel return line is also inside the tank. That means the FMU method doesn't work anymore without redesigning the the fuel return system.
A much better method would be a programmable ECU and a set of larger injectors. The larger injectors will provide the extra fuel without increasing fuel pressure and the programmable ECU can control fuel and timing at various rpm range for maximum performance and driveability. Additionally, the programmable ECU knows how to handle boost, whereas the stock ECU will light up the MIL as soon as the MAP sensor senses boost pressure! You can also modify when to exit out of closed loop mode before atmosphere pressure to avoid tip-in detonation. How about the ability to change the vtec crossover point or raise the redline? Personally, I wouldn't even touch SC or turbo without a good engine management unit.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:20 PM
cmf
ATCer

Apexi has the SAFC...would that work to do adjustments for the ratio, even while running a better fuel rail and larger injectors. Also, with Hondata coming out with ECU upgrades, would that help compensate for what the stock ECU can't keep up with?

JTso, thanks for breaking that down....you explain well!
Old 04-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Today when I went to get my windows tinted I ran into this guy that was parked with a brand new EVO Lancer. He traded in his S2000 for the EVO Lancer. My buddy with his WRX pulled up to chat for a minute. The dude that does tinting knows a ton about cars and so does the guy with the EVO. He said there's so much stuff to do to a car to increase the horse power it's crazy. He said I shouldn't go with a SC because the power decreases after 100. I personally like Turbo chargers a lot better. He said if you do just about anything to a turbo charger you will get more horsepower and he highly reccomends a Turbo Charger for my car.

The guy that does the tinting, he said if I dropped the pump for the air conditioning and get some after market pulleys I could pull off an extra 20-40 horses. Then you add on the turbo charger, there's an extra 70-100 horses right there. They were saying I should even consider a custom set up for a turbo charger. They said that Turbo chargers are universal, you just need to do some custom piping. These guys are for all out horse power and performance and they could careless about warranties. The guy with the EVO is already adding a boost gauge and boost timer, also he has the titanium G reddy exhaust and 3 inch piping straight from the motor to the back. He installed a sensor that tells the engine that the exhaust manifold is sill there and that it's OK. That 3 inch piping is huge, I was like damn man that's awesome. He added a bigger aftermarket blow off valve and he wants to get a bigger Turbo Charger, the stock one is a little to small. He killed two STi's and a corvette last night. I'll have to check into this custom turbo though, it sounds like a lot of fun and having a 4 banger with 270 horses is awesome, to me at least lol .

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-10-2004, 09:15 PM
cmf
ATCer

I guess having an a/c in alaska is like having a heater in Arizona...just not needed. Are you talking about regular pulleys, or like cam gears and stuff? Didn't think aftermarket pulleys could give such a big gain...
Old 04-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally posted by Wess
He said I shouldn't go with a SC because the power decreases after 100...
The guy that does the tinting, he said if I dropped the pump for the air conditioning and get some after market pulleys I could pull off an extra 20-40 horses.
100 mph? Who cares after that, seriously.

20-40HP is pretty optimistc for pulleys. Does taking out the AC do anything if the AC is off anyways, I didn't think it affected anything.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Racer

Someone noted once that AC is required for the defogger, so the fans alone don't suffice.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro

Nicely said JTso, but what's your oppinion on running additional fuel injectors?
Anyway I wouldn't go that far taking out A/C and stuff just gain horse power. If I REALLY need more power i'm just gonna go with a custom set-up but since this is my ONLY car I can't afford to live without my TSX over a month. And who knows if it's going to work out perfectly without having to drive back and forth to the shop. This is why you only see highly tuned car on weekends because on weekdays it's just sitting there in the shop fine tuning. Sigh... I'm through with those days.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:21 AM
Racer

If you're willing to sacrific luxury for speed, why not just rip out all the interior stuff. Tear out the passenger seat and the door panels, stereo, etc. That couple hundred pounds will make a difference across the entire powerband
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

LoL I'm not willing to go that far to rip out all my shit to just get some extra HP. I want a nice luxury car with some mean performance. The only reason the guy mentioned the A/C pump was because it hooks up to the pulleys. He said the less belts you have the more HP you will gain. That's just an extra belt that's slowing me down, especially in Alaska.

I really want to see about getting the custom turbo done. I have to see about engine management and some stronger parts. I don't want my shit to blow up after I do the turbo. I hung out with 10 guys last night, all of them are just for all out performance. Had like 2 STi's, 3 WRX's, 1 SRT, 1 Crossfire, 1 EVO, 1 Acura type-R, 1 SVT Cobra(that thing screams with performance 600WHP) and then the one TSX lol. It was fun. One dude with a WRX was running nas on his, he said he should be in the low 12's when he runs out on the track this summer.

Going for a custom Turbo set up will void my warranty, it will cost a lot, and if I don't make the engine stronger, it will really put some wear and tear on it. I think it'll be fun though. If I do it this year, it'll be in June, if not then next summer we'll hook up the TSX.

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
E46 M3 New Toy *^^*

LOL
Old 04-11-2004, 01:17 PM
NocturnaL

What do you need to do to "bulletproof" your motor to handle boost without blowing up?

lower-compression pistons n rods?

what else?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Vroom Vroom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by NocturnalTSX
What do you need to do to "bulletproof" your motor to handle boost without blowing up?

lower-compression pistons n rods?

what else?
YOu don't necessarily need lower compression rods, just stronger to handle the extra compression.

You'd also need stronger valve springs, and possibly a stronger crank, valves, intake manifold.

In addition with the extra air, the stock fuel pump may not be up to it, so and upgrade there, possibly the lines associated with it.

The fuel and air sensors may also need to be upgrade or else they may "peg" at their upper limit (common problem with boosted Mustangs).

But, that's just an off-hand guess.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Old timer

I wonder if the auto trans can handle the power though. Acura seems to have problems making reliable automatic transmissions.

Also Comptech likes to charge a lot for their mods (they are high quality items though), so don't be surprised if it's quite expensive.

If they really do come out with an SC and it is approved to work with the automatic TSX, and it doesn't cost too much, and my dealer will install and warranty it with the rest of the car, I would be game. There's a lot of IFs in there though.

I'd be very happy with a solid 40whp/40wtq increase from a mild SC. That would put the TSX where it should be from the factory (aka V6 territory). Plus then you can slap on some headers and exhaust for another 10-15whp or so. =)

Plus it would be a good base from which those of you who have lots of extra money lying around can go crazy with smaller pulleys and bigger intercooler and whatever else. =p

Hopefully with a trans cooler and if it isn't raced around all the time, the stock auto trans can handle that.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Yeah the SC sounds nice, but I would go with a turbo charger. I'm going to wait until Greddy or someone releases a turbo charger for it. Those are built for the car that weren't made for turbo chargers which is cool. I'll still switch out some stuff though to make it stronger. That makes it even funner. Better pulleys, bigger blow off valve, intercooler setup. I can't wait until one comes out. It may not be until next year, but I need the time to save the money lol.

l8ers
Wes
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 AM
NocturnaL

Does GREDDY have any plans on making a turbo-charger for the TSX?

Are there any rumors or ANYTHING?

If GREDDY made a turbo kit for the car, i'd jump on it so fast... hehe
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

I plan on giving them a call later on today and see if they will be making one. If no one makes one then I'm going to be pissed. Then I'll have to go for a custom set up. I'm sure they will though, this car is scremin for one man. You throw on 70-100 whp and this thing is gone!

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

OK just got off the phone with Greddy and they said that they plan on looking at it towards the end of the year. They have a few other projects that there working on right now, so hopefully we'll have some good news by the end of the year and I'm going to shoot for the summer of 2005. I can't wait!

Wess
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 PM
NocturnaL

You kno, we ALL on these TSX forums should start calling and emailing GREDDY for a turbo kit (even if ur not interested in one lol) just to show them that there is a demand and market for it, so hopefully they'll definatley make one.

I hate it when a company says they'll make a product for your car, and you wait on it for a long time, and only to find out in the end that they decided not to make it..

So yea lets start emailing and calling GREDDY!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:45 PM
cmf
ATCer

I will call first thing in the AM. What's the number, too lazy to search for it.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Orangeblood

Headers and exhaust mods with a turbo are useless unless designed in conjunction with the turbo. A turbocharger is nothing but a potato in the exhaust that happens to help out on the front end.

I don't want my shit to blow up after I do the turbo.
If an engine is not designed for turbo/supercharging, there is a substantial chance that your "shit will blow up" in one way or another.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 PM
NocturnaL

Originally posted by cmf
I will call first thing in the AM. What's the number, too lazy to search for it.

GReddy Performance Products Inc.
9 Vanderbuilt
Irvine, CA 92618
[949] 588 8300
[949] 588 6318 FAX

Email: Info@Greddy.com
Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 PM
cmf
ATCer

Hey nocturnal...did you find out anything about the brembos from the TL? Just curious..there is a TSX kit available, but too expensive for me right now
Old 04-13-2004, 08:57 PM
NocturnaL

I asked about it on all the TSX forums that I know of, but no1 really had any useful info..
Old 04-13-2004, 09:02 PM
cmf
ATCer

That sux. I am looking really hard for info on all that..if I find anything, you'll be the first to know (besides myself ). How are the new mods coming?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:11 PM
NocturnaL

Cool, I definatley need to upgrade my brakes, the stock setup isn't adequate enough for me hehe..

As for the mods, they're coming slowly..
My Tein coilovers were supposed to be here last friday, but now I have to wait till next Friday because Tein had them on backorder..

but i'm considering getting air-ride instead, because I'm gonna have a Kenstyle kit on it(expected to arrive here end of this month). And since its such an expensive kit, I dont wanna take chances with it scraping and getting banged up. But air-ride will just take the fun out of driving, so I dont kno what to do lol...

Plus I quit my job last week, so I gotta find a new job REAL soon hehe..

Quick Reply: A little bit of new info on the Comptech SC