big brake upgrade????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 12:54 AM
Advanced

Arrow big brake upgrade????

ok guys thinking of buying therotora big brake kit you think it will fit teh 17 inch stock rim? or do i need a spacer?
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:41 AM
無限 本田 CL9

what kind of engine mods do you have? upgrading brake lines/rotors/pads is adequate for the 2.4's power output (with basic bolt ons), unless ure just into the "looks" of big calipers
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:45 AM
Advanced

the basic bolt on header exhaust and UR pully and suspension so far........ so on to the brake is it even worth it i don't know but i do kinda like how it looks too lol....
Old 01-18-2007 | 02:24 AM
I Quit

I think big brakes are worthless unless you have FI under the hood, typically standard sized slotted and/or cross drilled rotors and nice pads will do th trick. Just my .02
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:05 AM

and if anything you are adding more rotating weight to your front wheels.
Old 01-18-2007 | 05:24 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
and if anything you are adding more rotating weight to your front wheels.
Not if you use a 2 piece rotor.
Old 01-18-2007 | 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Apparently some of you have not had experience with BBK's. Yes the TSX doesn't need the BBK as bad as the TL b/c it is less weight and only packs a 2.4, but the 1 piston caliper isn't enough to do the job. Any BBK will upgrade you to a 4 piston caliper, 13" slotted or combo rotor, SS brake lines, and high performance ceramic pad. Yes, slotted rotors, SS brake lines, and a better pad like Hawk's will definitely help significantly but you won't match up to an enlarged caliper with more pistons and more contact area on the rotor. The enlarged rotor will dissipate absorb and dissipate heat better, the lines won't flex under repeated braking, and the 4 piston caliper will apply more equal brake pressure to the rotor. And adding a 2pc disc will further decrease spinning weight, dissipate heat better, and allow for more equal brake force.
Old 01-18-2007 | 11:03 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Spot on Excelerate - but don't downplay the bling aspect of a BBK. That's as much a valid reason as the technical merits are.
Old 01-18-2007 | 11:05 AM
無限 本田 CL9

Spot on PJS.. exactly what I was thinking, especially in the average consumer's POV who doesnt even track or autocross
Old 01-18-2007 | 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PJS
Spot on Excelerate - but don't downplay the bling aspect of a BBK. That's as much a valid reason as the technical merits are.
True. There is show and go when doing a BBK. A guy who is just installing bolt ons may not necessarily need per se a BBK, and therefore it would be used more for aesthetics than the actual mechanical aspect of it. However, someone who has FI or who is doing any track time/autocross will notice his stock brake system to be deficient after doing a number of hard stops. I personally installed a BBK years ago b/c 2 times my brakes didn't do what I needed them to do, and that was stop in a reasonable distance. At the time I could only come up with the Power Slot Plus upgrade BBK, which was just enlarged rotors, and rear conversion to disc and 4 wheel SS brake lines. This improved the situation dramatically but I never do track time so I haven't tested them there. However now that I am FI too I have a ROTORA 2 pc 330X30MM BBK coming in to help out on the braking situation b/c I need that extra braking force/pedal leverage when trying to come from a stop from high speeds.
Old 01-18-2007 | 04:20 PM
Racer

Cant Wait Until I Have To Worry About Needing A Bbk.............
Old 01-19-2007 | 07:20 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Excelerate
True. There is show and go when doing a BBK. A guy who is just installing bolt ons may not necessarily need per se a BBK, and therefore it would be used more for aesthetics than the actual mechanical aspect of it. However, someone who has FI or who is doing any track time/autocross will notice his stock brake system to be deficient after doing a number of hard stops. I personally installed a BBK years ago b/c 2 times my brakes didn't do what I needed them to do, and that was stop in a reasonable distance. At the time I could only come up with the Power Slot Plus upgrade BBK, which was just enlarged rotors, and rear conversion to disc and 4 wheel SS brake lines. This improved the situation dramatically but I never do track time so I haven't tested them there. However now that I am FI too I have a ROTORA 2 pc 330X30MM BBK coming in to help out on the braking situation b/c I need that extra braking force/pedal leverage when trying to come from a stop from high speeds.
FI? Sorry, don't recall that acronym.
All very true, but it's should be pointed out that the increased braking power also has to be viewed with additional stress being put on the suspension, chassis, and most of all, the tyres.
Poor tyre choice could see them being asked for more than they can deliver. Or put another way, more faith could be put in them but found to be flawed thinking if/when the question is asked of them.
So, bling/cachet factor to one side, if you are looking additional performance on the roads, make sure the tyres are up to the task themselves - and IMO, high milers aren't due to their compound.
Old 01-19-2007 | 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJS
FI = Forced Induction

IIRC, Excelerate is boostin' ~15 lbs in his car...and trust me, it's faaaast...

...but I think I could take him
Old 01-19-2007 | 08:01 AM
Racer

What kind of boost are ya runnin............... just out of curiosity...... sorry..., u probably have discussed this before.......
Old 01-19-2007 | 11:36 AM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

would the master cylindar need to be upgraded too in a BBK?

Of course all of this is hinging on the tires ability to grip the road
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PJS
All very true, but it's should be pointed out that the increased braking power also has to be viewed with additional stress being put on the suspension, chassis, and most of all, the tyres.
Poor tyre choice could see them being asked for more than they can deliver. Or put another way, more faith could be put in them but found to be flawed thinking if/when the question is asked of them.
So, bling/cachet factor to one side, if you are looking additional performance on the roads, make sure the tyres are up to the task themselves - and IMO, high milers aren't due to their compound.
FI is Forced Induction. Tires are what stop a car so that is extremely important but I think it is a point understood from the beginning that someone who is upgrading to a BBK will have good tires on their car.

You do not need to upgrade the master cylinder when doing hte ROTORA BBK's. It is a balanced setup.
Old 01-19-2007 | 02:46 PM
Racer

who wants to answer the original question, will the BBK fit under the stock wheels?
Old 01-19-2007 | 04:55 PM
Advanced

yeah if it fits a TL and the tsx is similiar then it should fit
Old 01-20-2007 | 02:49 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Since we are on the BBK topic, I was wondering if anyone using the DC5-R (2-pot I think) BBK? I saw a couple of TSX or Euro-R has it, and looks pretty neat. I was browsing on the RSX-Forum and found there's a few of it on sell.

So my question is, can we use our stock rotor (In my case I'm running RacingBrake Slotted rotor), and just buy the DC5-R Calipers??? Any other part is needed?
Old 01-20-2007 | 09:31 AM
JDM

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35362&page=1
Old 01-20-2007 | 10:41 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Wink

Oooh, spot the show off!
You might also want to fill in the http:// part of that link above.