Another Navigation Modification Thought

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Navigation Modification Thought

For 2006 TSX with navi, I was able to extract the BIN file - 06touch2.bin that the navigation uses.

I replaced the Opening3.bmp image with my own. I used Photoshop to edit the image so that its correct size 480X234, but the tricky part is saving it in the correct format for the Navi to display it. Do a File/Save As/ ==> BMP format, then pick a file name. Photoshop will ask you for the BMP Options => choose 16bit, then click on "Advanced Options". Select second option => A1 R5 G5 B5. Then hit OK. Now the picture is in the correct format. If you pick any other Option from the advance menu, the picture will not be displayed.

I haven't been able to figure out which file contains the nag screen, because there is a whole bunch of executables and dll in the 06touch2.bin. I used This Page to get the updated bysin.zip and CECompress.dll in order to extract files contained in 06touch2.bin. If you delete all of the bmp files from the extracted files, you get 87 files. I tried disassembling with IDA Pro Advanced and using a hex editor to look for clues, but I am not sure what to look for. Maybe bysin would know what to look for since he figured out which address to change for 04-05 dvd

There is one file that caught my attention. Its UI_MAIN_CE.skn. Notice the extension, its skn, so its a skin file. UI is probably User Interface. I bet if this file can be changed, then you can change the whole look of your navigation system, kind of like changing skins in winamp. I haven't been able to find any program that would be able to edit this file. But its something to think about.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

thats great..i wish i had enough time to look at the bin

after googling (word?) the .skn extension i got this:

SKN eRocket eBook Skin
SKN FileWrangler/SecurDesk!/ImageForge Graphic Skin
SKN Skantek
SKN The Sims 3D Body Mesh Skin Data (Electronic Arts (Maxis))
SKN Windows Media Player for Pocket PC Skin (Microsoft)
SKN Photono-Software Stealther Skin
SKN Virtual TI Skin

http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=%5ES

now its just up to us to find a program that can specifically skin for those files.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Instructor

You can make a nice little side biz out of navi customization if you figure it all out, lol. That's awesome.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Advanced

I think this SKN file is something specifically written for Windows CE, or whatever operating system the navigation uses. I am going to work on it over the weekend to see if anything will open it in any readable form.

I am still trying to the get the nag screen to go away, because its a real PITA in my opinion. I have a DVD player installed and I have to switch to navigation source first, then press ok, then switch back to the DVD source in order for the screen not to turn off(screen saver). Of course the screen saver kicks in unexpectedly while I am in DVD mode because I forgot to press ok on the nag screen in the beginning. Very annoying.